CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not the Best
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 20, 2018
Management in the department I was working in did not know how to manage the team. There was no room to provide my input and Director did not appear knowledge on what I my role should have been.
quiet
Intern (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 11, 2018
if you like working at a computer, and or phone all day this job is mostly for you if you have good customer service this job is also for be prepared to laugh all day everyday.
Great COmpany
FEHBP Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 7, 2018
Love the atmosphere and the leadership recommends growth. THe transition from various departments works collarborately together to ensure the company is successful
Provider Dispute Resolution (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 6, 2018
Great place to start your Case management career, fast-paced fast turnover times, very busy at all times. Medical Directors are very knowledgeable, understanding.
Pros
Team
Cons
Low pay for high work load
Challenging Culture Very Interesting Work
Sr. Technical Manager/Engineering Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 6, 2018
Challenging Culture, Very Interesting Work, Quick Onboarding, Cross Functional Teams each had solid expertise, Team Matrix Management Scheme worked could be open to some improvements in cross team relationship building where possible. Overall: Fair-Good
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 5, 2018
Very nice atmosphere. Great location near the mall. Wages could be more lucrative. Dress codes could be more stringent. Lots of health benefits and programs.
Great opportunity
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2018
Busy on phones had quotas to meet, challenged when a provider has several long adjustments you had to make each case and stay on phone and take less calls. Everybody pitched in on assisting each other after you could only take 5 adjustments and ask someone to take the rest of them
Pros
Great opportunity
Cons
Not enough opportunity
Job Satisfaction Depends On Which Building You Work In
Individual Sales Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 26, 2018
The atmosphere of this company is many sides of the employee happiness spectrum. If you have the ability to work in the Corporate Building you will be able to see how the company should be run. Everything is run efficiently and professionally. But if you work in one of the support buildings, that's less than a mile away from the Corporate Building, the work atmosphere and morale is very low and employment has a high turn over rate. I've had the ability to work in both locations and it's almost like Night and Day.
Pros
Competitive Salary, Education and training
Cons
Needs stronger management outside of the Corporate Building
Very stressful and micromanaged.
Overseas Medical Claims Processor III (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 24, 2018
Poor management, unrealistic goal expectations and incredibly STRESSFUL work environment. During my early years (under different management) it was a wonderful place to work. You felt valued and appreciated. When the company had a new/different CEO it became more about numbers and less about the people. I watched as MANY loyal employees with 20 plus years of employment with them were let go because of unrealistic expectations both professionally and personally. Working at a job that I once enjoyed and took pride in suddenly became a huge source of stress in my life and created multiple health problems. While I truly loved the job I performed I knew it was time for a change.
Pros
Insurance and other benefits
not applicable
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 22, 2018
carefirst is a great company to work for. I have been with them for a little over a year. I am currently just looking for more career advancement opportunities
Professional atmosphere, friendly employees, fast paced work load
Complex Case Manager - Remote (Former Employee) –  Remote ARNOLD, MDJune 21, 2018
Loved the work I did. High standards for meeting Goals. Micro Management for weekly and monthly goals. Workload not conducive for job life balance.
Pros
Great atmosphere/ positive management
Cons
Workload and high expectations
work
Manual/ Functional Automation Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 20, 2018
My typical day at work is 50/50 looking at the very important researches, studies in technology requirements, interact and communicate to outside of world explain latest technology and focusing on important task. I had learn different type of tools. Management are helpful and teach you any help you with any obstacle. the culture different and unique. hardest part of the job is when same task repeatedly fails but the enjoyable part is when thing are done correctly and works per requirements everyone celebrate and their friendlier.
Overall, CareFirst is a great place to work
Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 19, 2018
CareFirst is a highly sought after company to work for. The compensation and benefits are better than most large companies.

The flexible work hours coupled with the extensive training programs are a plus. The company did a great job at creating a family atmosphere in a large company.

Being part of a large company made me feel secure. The sporadic high volume work loads sometimes created challenges, however, the management team afforded me the opportunity to create a fun while focused atmosphere making those challenges more tolerable.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my direct reports. They approached each task with both zeal and caution.

I truly appreciated their dedication.

I was especially proud when they realized we/they were stronger as a team.

Mary Williams-Parker
Pros
Associate Appreciation Week, Associate Picnic, Annual Incentives
Cons
New procedures not properly vetted, extensive system workarounds
Company culture leaves a lot to be desired!
Operations Technical Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 13, 2018
Management is completely disconnected and not engaged with the workforce. Often people are put in management positions because no one knows what else to do with them.
"Healthcare industry pioneers, good employer with focus on work-life balance" (in 24 reviews) "Some work from home flexibility"
Web Developer Lead, Content Management Lead, TDM (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 5, 2018

"Some work from home flexibility"
Some great, smart people to work with.
Overall, good intentions to be an industry leader.
Pay/benefits decent.
Politically connected.
was a good company to work for.
Customer Service Rep. II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 30, 2018
lots of activities to break up the routine of the day. onsite gym. cummunity events. company trips. lots of carry in's and company paid dinners. lots of recognition for hard work. most management is goal driven but there to help.
Pros
fun and very team oriented
Cons
stressful and fast paced
Fun place
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2018
I created accounts, updated demographic information, helped update enrollment plan codes, I terminated, cancelled and reinstated policies. A lot of work meant a lot of overtime.
Team oriented for the most part
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 24, 2018
Worked together to get monthly goals meet. There were some instances where obstacles would prevent goals from being met most team members chipped in.
Pros
incentives gifts events
Cons
management reliablity on all subjects
no advancement
Medical Coordinator. (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAMay 19, 2018
no advances or merit increases. worked over 4 years, new employees with no experience starting pay rate was higher then the regular employees.

cost of living was higher those with experience should receive a decent pay rate.
good place for Indian IT professionals
Sr. Information Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMay 16, 2018
good place for Indian IT professionals. Most of IT developers/admins/managers are Indian guys. health insurance/benefit are good. management depends on groups.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

64out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield.

Powered by Comparably