CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

If your lacking a conscious then this company is right for your
Senior Advisor (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 16, 2019
Looking back at my experience, I should have left sooner than staying for 3 years. It was evident the department of supervisors, managers, executive managers, HR, EVP, and VP are involved in fraudulent business practices. Even the compliance department does a good job to cover it up. Instead of being held accountable all actors played a roll in managing the mismanagement, state, and federal funding , which is considered fraudulent practices. RETRIBUTION IS high on the duties in order to cover the reality of all employees involved.consumer,
Good People
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 15, 2019
Its the staff that makes CF worth your time. They are caring and supportive. Great environment. The work life balance is good. Family first is always paramount.
My position was eliminated.
Lead Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 15, 2019
I was responsible for daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual operations reporting for CareFirst, Inc.
which serves the Mid-Atlantic region of a Maryland, D.C., and Virginia. We also had 3rd party vendors that were additional call centers. I managed an application called SQM, Service Quality Measurement.
Great Family oriented Company
Enrollment and Billing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 10, 2019
This was an excellent place to work. I started as a contingent worker and got hired full time. I advanced through the company with the proper training. The challenges were great, but I also had a great team and supervisors. Unfortunately, I had to relocate and that terminated my career at CareFirst. It was definitely a great Company to work for.
Productive Workplace
Program Manager Digital Applications (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 9, 2019
Typical day at work involved many meetings. Management was very old minded and the culture was one of caution. Hardest part of the job was copany unwillingness to change with the times.
Blue Cross
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 2, 2019
Blue Cross is a great place to work, its hard for me to give a fair assessment as i was not here for very long. I did enjoy the people I worked with and the environment.
Nice place to work, but room for significant improvement
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 1, 2019
CareFirst has great benefits and flexible work schedule. Unfortunately, there is a need for improvement in the hiring process. HR/Talent acquisition does not follow up in a timely manner, most positions are given to those who have tenure with the company. Advancement is extremely slow and you get really comfortable doing the same job really well.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Job Culture, Career Advancement, Responsiveness of HR Department
Lack of true value culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2019
Company needs to improve the culture amongst the leadership team. There is little to none coaching, career support. Does not value the employee no matter how well, top performer the person was. Lack of career structure.
New Culture
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 24, 2019
CareFirst was and is a very successful organization but recent leadership decisions has not only impacted the customer base in a negative way but morale has never been lower.
Great Place to Work
TRAINER, LRGRP & CFA (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 21, 2019
The company has a great CEO who cares about the culture and the well-being of the employees. The company offers a lot of learning resources in person and online classes and workshops.
Benefits
BlueCross BlueShield
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 16, 2019
It was basically a desk job with hardly any room for advancement. They gave you short breaks and a lot of work to do with little pay. Management was tough.
CareFirst is an excellent place to work
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 13, 2019
I have enjoyed my time at CareFirst immensely. The people are great to work with and challenge our skills and capabilities. The culture is family friendly. The benefits package is outstanding.
Cool place
Sr Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 6, 2019
CareFirst had great benefits and allowed you to work remotely and this was very effective because of the traffic to get to the area. This allowed employees to be more prodcutive.
New CEO Put people out of jobs
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 18, 2019
You can’t trust this company right now. With a new Young CEO he has reorganized the whole company. Laid off hundreds of people. Yet keeps on over paid Managers and Directors. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Management is rude and doesn’t even recognize its employees when you pass them in the hall. The new CEO is more about lining his own pockets rather than try to move people around in the company to keep their jobs. They now outsource a lot of positions giving jobs to people in other states. They claim to be there for the local community, yet they would prefer to employ people in other states rather than employ people in their state of business. Why the stockholders thought the new CEO would be good for the company is beyond me. They will prevail in group insurance but individual market they have given up on. Plans to sell life insurance in the future. Bad idea because there are too many other AA+ rated companies selling in the US. Carefirst is not even an AA rated insurance company. That should explain everything in a nutshell.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Horrible decision making
Gym and trainers are at your disposition
Customer Service Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 13, 2019
The gym is great, the equipment is newer, there are even showers. You can sign up for fitness classes, such as yoga, a bootcamp training class, zumba, and many others. The management is always looking for ways to make work fun.
Pros
Gyms, free fitness classes
Cons
Tough attendance policy. Better hope you stay healthy, especially in the first year. Requesting a day off is extremely difficult.
Excellent Working Culture
Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 27, 2019
I enjoy working at Carefirst. The company personifies great work ethics and is a pro-employee workplace. Because of the great work environment, there is very little employee turnover which means there's not a lot of room for advancement.
If you never have ideas and like clicks you love the manager who Despise anyone who thinks outside the box or have any good suggestions.
Individual Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 27, 2019
Despise anyone who thinks outside the box or have any good suggestions. As a place that you think or shine but not in the click , it’s a no go under older management .the new generation that likes to think outside the box you’re in trouble. Need to replace some of the the clicks for company to growth. Love helping the clients . That made my job!
Pros
Old clicks
Cons
Help the clients understand what they brought. Feeling smiles over phone
ok to work
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 15, 2019
Not much room for advancement unless you were friends with someone. training was not very helpful pay was not acceptable. hours were average and the benefits were nice
Pretty good place to work
Lead Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 9, 2019
Seems to be a lot of changes going on at the moment so not sure if it is getting better or worse, but it was pretty good while I was there for 4 years. Good benefits and work life balance but some politics and other similar issues, as with most jobs.
Pros
benefits, work life balance
Cons
politics, silo style groups
Great benefits and salary
Sales and retention specialists (Former Employee) –  Maryland Owings MillsApril 8, 2019
Excellent Benefits. Job security, unstable With constant change in healthcare, reorganization occurs often. Major layoffs occur I have been terminated three times during my 33 years at Carefirst
Pros
Comfortable working conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight