CareStar, Inc. Employee Reviews

impossible to complete the work- protect your license
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 20, 2018
Moving on from this company after many years of hard work and dedication was not easy, but it is time to make a change. If you had asked me 3 years ago- I would say I am here until retirement but that is gone. There is no teamwork outside my team. There is no communication outside my team. Your hard work is NEVER enough. There are no kind words, no thank you's and long term hard workings employees are the first to get the axe. I am not a slacker- I work 50 hours a week- every week. The job is impossible to do. When you leave- there is a 6 month non-compete which is enforced. You will not work in healthcare for months in any community setting- be prepared for that. It is sad that this good company has fallen into the state it is in. If you need job security, benefits, respect, then this is not the job for you.
Pros
the people i worked with
Cons
everything else
Stressful and Overworked
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 3, 2018
Run, don't walk, away from this company. Stressful beyond belief. There is a need to work 16 plus hours daily and time worked on weekends and holidays to try to keep ahead of the workload. The management team doesn't appreciate time spent working non stop and uses boorish management practices to make employees feel as though their jobs are at risk if they can't keep up. When I say the caseloads are ridiculous, I am in no way exaggerating. Constant assessments and huge caseloads that are impossible to manage are typical. Not a good place to work!
Pros
Salary and Clients Served
Cons
Everything else!
Stressful work environment
Case Management, Licensed Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 19, 2017
This company would want you to work in other programs the company contracted with without proper training. Carestar would expect you to work with a full caseload in addition to taking on additional work responsibilities.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Extremely high work loads, poor training
Brutal leadership
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Central to Southern OhioOctober 17, 2017
Never in my life have I witnessed a more cut throat leadership environment. Morale is beyond low, but everyone is afraid to speak up as you are targeted and often publicly shamed. Pay has been cut for long term employees, but workload is greatly expanded. Nothing you do is good enough. Management is not in touch with field staff and will not speak up when Leadership makes yet another change that impacts quality of work or puts your license at risk. Vacation days are meaningless as there is no one to cover your load while you attempt to take a sick day or family day. There is zero room for advancement, and you will more than likely never receive a raise. The company was not like this before. You begin your work day well before 7 and often work late into the night just to make minimum work loads. There is a $10,000 insurance deductible. Yes, $10,000. If you interview- ask directly about the length of contract time for the work you are applying. Be specific. Check your facts.
Pros
fellow employees who try
Cons
overworked, no time off, covering large areas with massive travel
Moral is currently low
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2017
Don't expect praise from the new top dog. Salary is good if you aren't paid per client. Can change unexpectedly. No contraceptive or weight insurance.
Pros
salary, home office
Cons
New administration, lack of support for employees, no healthcare contraception
Look for a diffrent job!
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2017
Was hired, given a raise then laid off. You are unemployable for 6 months if you leave this company for any reason. No job security, company is unstable most of the time. Everyone is worried about lossing their job everyday, no communication and you feel like you can't ask question due to backlash. Co-workers where fun and great to work with, managers not so much. They need to hire people that know what they are doing instead of letting people come from other programs and having no idea what kind of people they are dealing with in new programs. This company only cares about money instead of taking care of people in need.
Pros
Working from home, co-workers
Cons
Low mileage rembursement, horrible health insurance
No Job Security
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 2, 2017
Work from home, freedom of making own schedule, easy to speak with managers and co worker. Constant stress of thinking I might lose my job tomorrow due to state funding and contracts falling through. Horrible medical coverage and 401k.
Pros
fun co workers and manager
Cons
low mileage reimbursement, bad medical coverage
Pay rate deductions, not allowed to take time off, look elsewhere
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioApril 15, 2017
I've worked at CareStar more than 10 years. They just handed out salary adjustments that take me back to my salary at entry point. We do not have enough staff, so we are not allowed to take time off. There is no reward for hard work. Everyone is looking to leave.
Pros
Mileage
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, low pay, poor management
Great Place
Recovery Manager (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHApril 1, 2017
Carestar is a good place to work . Great co workers and excellent benefits. Management would benefit from understanding the population they serve. Good with work and life balance .
Very high case load and long hours
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 1, 2015
Great place to work for four years but the fifth year had new managment and it went down hill. After I left, I heard the managment team that changed the culture all the left after the company got sued for not paying overtime. They had to pay a heafty fine. They also had a very high caseload of 60 to 70 consumers.
Pros
Very good four years until new managment took over
Cons
Very high case load, a lot of traveling over several counties