Cargill Employee Reviews

Found 2,070 reviews matching the search See all 3,468 reviews
Good Pay poor management
Extraction Operator (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAFebruary 9, 2019
Large company decent pay poor work/life balance. If it doesn't effect management they do not care how anything impacts the employee. Reviews focus on anything negative to negate employee contribution. Company is not proactive about repairs to equipment until they are broke down. Leadership focus is narrow and short term. Strictly profit oriented and has difficulty retaining employees. Hiring practices are archaic and attribute to the turnover. Pay is below average for area which has strong job market. Bonus provided but is not representative of employee contribution. Extremely poor communication from management and intense power struggle within organization at all levels. Overall toxic work environment with high employee dissatisfaction.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
poor management
Stable Company with constant drive for growth
Modeling Research and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Elk River, MNNovember 9, 2018
Cargill was a great company to work for in terms of teammates, cooperation, completing and deploying projects and work-life balance. Their compensation was much lower than the industry standard and eventually this led to me finding another job.

There was frequent international travel, which was a great opportunity to meet others, and advance company products. Some teams were frustrating when they did not cooperate and want to work together. Cargill is the compilation of many businesses, so some employees still saw the greater structure of Cargill as the "enemy/competitor" rather than an ally.
Pros
International travel, great coworkers, fast paced and continual feedback from the field
Cons
Low base salary, low annual raises (3% or less), slow advancement
Horrible place to work
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MINovember 24, 2018
Expect long hours and very little time at home. The idea is "business first" with no exceptions. If you are salary the hours are irrelevant. Management decisions are very slow, and sometimes not thought out. There is no family work balance as advertised. Working conditions are very dusty and visibility is dangerous minimal. People are protected in this business, and outsiders are not taken seriously. Safety is suppose to be number one, but the rules vary each day.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
Unqualified leaders, unsafe working conditions, insane hours
Overall toxic work environment
Bulk receiving (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXFebruary 12, 2019
Large company decent pay but very poor work/life balance. If it doesn't effect management they do not care how anything impacts the employee. Reviews focus on anything negative to negate employee contribution. Company is not proactive about repairs to equipment until they are broke down. Leadership focus is narrow and short term. Strictly profit oriented and has difficulty retaining employees. Hiring practices are archaic and attribute to the turnover. Extremely poor communication from management and intense power struggle within organization at all levels. Overall toxic work environment with high employee dissatisfaction.
Awful place to work if you plan on doing anything BESIDES work.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Wyalusing, PANovember 7, 2018
The work on the production floor is demanding physically, particularly because you're often shorthanded (normally you have about 2/3rd the amount of staff you should on your job) and 99% of the time the management doesn't really care unless they have to stop the line, so you're going to hurt. Most of the time you'll work 9-10 hour days and frequent weekends which makes it hard to enjoy a family life, and you WILL be pretty sore after your shift which is stressful. The hours are inconsistent too and its not uncommon to have weekend work sprung on you last minute. Management doesn't like to let you leave during work hours either so you're mostly going to be doing errands on your 1 or 1-1/2 day weekend. The benefits are alright but they're changing a lot of them so who knows how they're going to be.

But they do have a "meat trailer" and you can get beef pretty cheap. Still though I'd give it a pass.
Pros
Discount beef. Benefits.
Cons
Short breaks. Poor management. Poor scheduling. Late hours.
Production worker
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  West Columbia, SCFebruary 8, 2019
Long hours on second shift. Breaks are extremely too short. 7 days a week on your feet. Since there is really no end time on second shift. When you’re done with your workstation management make up things for you to do and call it re work. Very annoying. No time off. Pay can be a little better but is okay. If you enjoy working you’ll be fine. No place for lazy folks. And hard for women to move up in higher paying roles.
Pros
Ok pay, great coworker
Cons
Short breaks, no time with family, management make up things to do, long hours, cold, hard for women to move up
Awful place to work if you plan on doing anything BESIDES work.
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Wyalusing, PAOctober 30, 2018

Pros
Discount beef. Benefits.
Cons
Short breaks. Poor management. Poor scheduling. Late hours.
Laidback and decent pay
Production Worker - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 25, 2018
As a temp I experienced POOR MANAGEMENT, POOR TRAINING, AND POOR COMMUNICATION!! They will leave you as a temp for months at a time and at the same time bring in new hires off the street. So the new hire comes in with more sinority and more pay than you and you possibly have to train them for a position that you wasn't trained on properly . It was a waste of time and I wouldn't be surprised if the company closed down within a year because it is ran by a bunch of clowns. Never worked at a place like that before in my life. They act like they don't care or they care about the wrong things. In my 4 plus months there I seen a lot of good working people fired and a lot of non working people stay hired. Big disconnect from the floor to managment . Hard work doesn't get noticed, very unprofessional and through it all I tried to still get hired there cause they giving money away. Decent pay for little work . For some reason they wanted me to be a lifetime temp. Where they do that at?? CARGILL...
Pros
Pay decent
Cons
Poor management, very unprofessional
Tough job good pay
Short rib deboner (Current Employee) –  Wyalusing, PASeptember 12, 2018
Job is very tough but great pay. They like to wait to tell you that u gotta work sat and if u don't u get a point at 10 points your fired. Management has no clue what goes on with a lot of rules I had to go to the highest up to get my full last break. And if your in pain don't expect much help from nurse staff just get back to work. Went to hospital later and I have a torn chest muscle and when I left nurse station I took my 15 min break and got in trouble by main supervisor for not going right back to work guess the nurse station was my break. Had to take a day off to enroll my son in school his mother is dead and I got a point for that. 9 mins late got half point are hole area flooded real bad a lot of closed roads and got a half point there too. They don't understand we can't control everything.
Pros
Money
Cons
Dont care about workers family life.
executive comp experience
Executive Compensation Accountant (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNOctober 9, 2018
I had a pretty good experience at Cargill Inc. I worked under the chief executive compensations personnel and was an executive compensations accountant. These include processing stock redemption and other high level tasks for high level executives
Pros
educational and tuition reimbursement
Cons
career advancement issues
Overall it is a good corporation
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CADecember 30, 2018
Cargill is a good company that offers good benefits. From my personal experience at the location I worked, only management are those with job work/life balance.
Cargill and Mosaic good place to work over all
Env tech (Former Employee) –  Bartow, FLOctober 29, 2018
They do have good benefits and competitive pay most of it potions.. Good work culture for most part.smaller work groups do get left behind in pay and voice not heard in smaller groups.
Pros
steady pay check and decent benefits
Cons
long hours and shift work night to day and day to night swap around.
Self-starters will thrive here
Marketing Specialist, Print & Fulfillment (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNOctober 5, 2018
This company will deliver the experience you are willing to work for. Benefits are excellent. The people are intelligent and down to earth. The culture is hardworking, earnest and straightforward. But nothing is handed to you - your development, opportunities and achievements are entirely determined by your commitment level.

The people are, by far, the greatest asset of the company. They make the days fly and the work feel more like a team mission.
Pros
Beautiful campus, extensive history, great benefits
Cons
Technology, tribal knowledge
Productive work place
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Friona, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Im hard working when i am at work an on the job i take it seriously. I enjoy life an my kids i do work well with others i like to go to the gym i stay fit. Im looking to retire at the cheese plant an making a career there I'm not the type to stand by an watch others who could use some help.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Cargill is a great place to work for work/life balance.
Global Senior Market Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 19, 2018
-dealt with various market data issues on a global basis. interact with vendors and internal cargill support teams.
-learned how to work with internal as well as external customers from accountants to corporate leadership.
-management did not get directly involved with day to day job activities.
-large turnover to a much younger/outsouced mobile work force.
-sometimes language barrier can get in the way between 3rd level support.
-resolving user issues.
Pros
very good work/life balance
Cons
no training provided as it pertains to the job function.
Garbage
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Dodge City, KSJanuary 2, 2019
Don't work there if u want to move up
Management sucks
It's more politics in there than in the government
U work hard one week jyst for next week to only work 32 hours
Cargill in general cares about their associates
Quality Assurance and Regulatory Superintendent (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 19, 2019
Good Place to work, excellent organization. Good benefits and compensation. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning about the different cultures and getting to know people of different nationalities. This is a very diverse company.
At one time a proud Family driven workplace Today more Competitive
Level 2 iSeries Application Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 18, 2018
I loved working for Cargill but I don't believe they put enough value on their employees, especially if we don't quite meet the "top dog" status. Once Cargill became a competitive global company, it lost a lot of the family-valued; employee-valued culture. I personally was "sold off" along with hundreds of other people to another company through an acquisition. We were given no warning. One day I was a Cargill employee and another day they said "you still have our job, but you are going to now work for this place" - which was out of state.

I learned a great deal at Cargill and am amazed at how I have taken the reality of learning those skills and reminding me that I really can do about anything if someone just shows me how. That's probably the best thing I can say about working there.

Their benefits are great and their sense of community in Wichita is very present.
Pros
YMCA memberships
Cons
sometimes cutthroat management decisions
No time for family
Corn Receiving Specialists (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IADecember 21, 2018
My manager always wanted me to turn my head on safety and environmental issues, but when confronted with the issue he would lie. He played favoritism and rules were different for each employee. There is no Human resources person on site to talk to so it makes things difficult . The managers stick together so the employees are pretty much screwed.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, bad management.
Productive Work place
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 27, 2018
Workplace culture is excellent providing guidance, advancement and an open door to new opportunities. A real teamwork place to work. Management offered the opportunity of learning new business task to learn the broader part of the business.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
health care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cargill. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.1K

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

63%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

85%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss