Carhartt
66Average

Carhartt Employee Reviews

United States136 reviews
This is a great company to work for Management for the most part is good Many opportunities available for everyone The benefits are good , insurance was getting pretty costly
Working here was the best time of my life. If I could go back I would. Amazing crew to work with and the company still stands by their original values and respects its customer base
Pros
Environment, staff, work atmosphere
Cons
Limited locations
Super generous discount. Worth it if you love the brand. Also very generous holiday pay. But don't ever be late for your shift. Because they will be babysitting you from another state and you will be disciplined every time you are late. Ever if its only 3 mins. Its slightly ridiculous. Plus the corporate HR people are extremely rude.
Production pay rate. This means that the more pieces you do, the more money you will make. In my experience, working there, if you have made a pretty good percentage, by the end of the week,they will put you on a second job or you will get tagged for bad quality, anything that can be done, just to bring your pay rate down, closer to minimum wage.Good luck to new employees, I hear that it's gotten harder and harder for employees to make descent money working there.
I started at the location in Portland with a fantastic boss. Loved my job for the first 8 months and then he quit and the new boss that was brought in from another location was awful. The male supervisors all suddenly stopped actually working, the new boss refused to work weekends or close. They started hiring based on looks and not work ethic or compatibility with the existing staff. The hours were cut and they continued to hire more people. They dangled raises in front of people, making them “train” for the position, which was really just having them do the work with no additional pay, only to end up hiring from outside. We stopped seeing a lot of the perks we once had, which was surprising because this location brings in the most money compared to any other location. The region manager told us to stop mentioning military discount/other discounts to “save money”. I worked really hard in my position and saw my year review raise be a third of my male coworkers. Overheard light r*pe jokes from supervisors. They made us work during the remodeling and the crew they hired was creepy/pervy. I recently heard the boss is leaving so hopefully the work place gets better
Pros
50% employee discount
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Working for Carhartt was very fun in my opinion, you weren't always doing one specific task. one day you are picking orders, the next day you are palletizing boxes to be shipped. Great working environment very laid back for a warehouse job.
Carhartt Edmonton:
I love the people on the floor. Quality job there is ridiculous! You have to knit pick and create rejects on the sewers just to be told you're doing your job correctly. It is ridiculous. If you do not search and dig or create rejects and do your job how you were trained (check 7 pieces out of 24) you're not good enough and will be told you are below average. This coming from the HR who hasn't a clue about anything, and quality supervisor that's never there
Carhartt really cares about the individual development of its employees. You are given a chance, if you decide to take it, to improve upon yourself while working this job. Management and employees have regular personal checkups to discuss any goals that you may have outside of working for the company, and there is now a program where you can substitute one of your workdays for a volunteer day at a nonprofit of your choice.

Carhartt has good benefits to its workers and is very above average in terms of its retail jobs.
I was elated and passionate about the brand when I first started working here. That quickly fizzled after realizing what I ordered vs. what I got were two very different jobs. Not to mention they expect you to be at full strength after two months - or, be put on a development plan (which, is unfair and unrealistic).
I didn't feel very supported, and often felt alone while at work.

Sure, the culture is "laid back" but it feels forced. I felt like I couldn't be myself because I had higher energy, and was a bit more enthusiastic than most.

Truly, I wish this position would have worked out. I enjoyed working for this brand, and it's obvious people who work (myself included) love the brand and what it stands for. I just wish the circumstances would have been a bit different. I learned a lot from a brand perspective and was able to really grow my knowledge.
The traits and skills i've learned there will far exceed past just retail, I learned so much about and engagement and building a one on one customer relationship, I learned what my strong suits are in a work place and how to apply them to the specific work place I am employed in.
I loved knowing i always had support when it came to learning how to do sales and helping customers find what they needed. You meet so many great people throughout the company and customers
Awesome company to work for. Truly believes in doing the right thing. Treat the employees and their customers with a lot of respect and integrity. Its an honor to work with such a brand!
I worked at this hellhole for 4 years. The first 1.5 years was excellent. I really liked it, the pay and benefits (other than health insurance) were ideal. And the people were fine. Until you had a problem. If you are a woman and treated wrong (I'll let your imagination go to the ends of the Earth w that one, cuz itll go there) good luck. NOTHING will be done. At all. And if you are a guy and somehow arent "liked" to their standards, good luck.
Pros
Pay
Cons
I loved carhartt, the benefits were amazing along with the amount of money I was making. I will definitely be re-applying in the future when I am able to return
Collect tickets to pull orders for customers.
Located number of items to be boxed and place mailing labels on box and garments in box with order ticket, and tape boxes to be placed on conveyor belt for inspection,
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Odd working hours
Good place to work with great discounts and they give you free clothes from time to time as well. They also let you use your 50% off discount for family and close friends. In store or online!
I greatly enjoyed working with all of my coworkers and the learning experience I gained every day I worked there. I was given a lot of different tasks each day which kept my time at work interesting and engaging. I really enjoyed all of my contact with the customers and the calming environment.
This a great company. They really want the employees to feel comfortable and appreciated and I know I did. The company does a lot for their employees such as free lunches (learning how to eat healthy foods); they also have Game days for the employees which is great as you get a chance to meet others.

Great work environment
This company has no support for the employees. This company is union based and the union can not support the employee. This company just wants robot like people to work there.
Relaxed Laid Back Environment. Great company and culture...fun place to work in...there are job promotions or advancements if your a dedicated hard worker. Unfortunately, I did not experience the job benefits, because I worked temporary for several years and was released unexpectedly and told that my contract had ended and there was no longer a need for me...only later found out that they used 3-4 more temps after me that could not replace me when ofcourse the company could have just hired me in. Company spends alot of money on ordering food, never have to bring a lunch, could donate to individuals in need in terms of food ordering. The food trucks are simply the best, especially the BBQ. They do alot for veterans and give back to alot of great causes. The job could use more diversity in upper levels of management, but overall a pretty good place to work.
Pros
Free Lunches, Good Culture, Friendly Faces, Happy Environment
Cons
Poor Management, May work Temp for years before becoming a permanent employee
The teams have increased in size due to the company growing and seeing more business as they become a staple retailer in their communities. The company is expanding to open more stores around the US.

The store managers live by the Carhartt mission as well as the upper management. There are great advancement opportunities in the company if your work ethic aligns with theirs and the store leaders encourage career growth by coaching skills that can be used at Carhartt as well as future employment.

Some of the upper corporate management can be exclusionary but this company is run like a small family business - meaning they are stretched thin and likely just perfer to stick to their favorite people.

I wish they would do more outside marketing than just email blasts. As another poster stated - they do not have great marketing (like TV or newspaper ads) to let locals who may not have given their email to the store know the store is in the area.

As the company expands and stores become "destinations" where people come from 100's of miles away to visit, Carhartt should also offer more novelty items at lower prices. Tourists and those who don't wear the clothes can still enjoy it then.

The company offers great benefits like a 401k, medical and dental coverage, HSA, generous PTO (for full time employees), paid sick time (for part time employees), critical accident coverage, paid parental (maternal, paternal & adoption) leave, mental and financial health help, advanced leadership lessons (online), tuition reimbursement, student loan assistance, great employee
 - more...
Pros
Great and unique benefits, fair pay, great environment
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carhartt. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight