Caribou Coffee Employee Reviews

good for high school/college
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 16, 2019
I was at caribou for 2 years and it was great! but when I got a new manager, she was very... um, mean? she had a lot of favorites and of course, I was not one of them. She also didn't let me take off even if I sent a request in a lot ahead of time, I don't know, maybe she just didn't like me, who knows? I was paid like $10/hour I think.
Pros
30 minute breaks and one free drink during shift
Cons
manager and okay-ish pay
Great, fast-paced environment to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Fargo, NDJune 14, 2019
Each day goes by fast, there's a lot of multi-tasking and running around, you get to see your usual customers every morning, and it's fun work environment and you're surrounded by coffee!
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNJune 13, 2019
Overall it is a good place to work. Its keeps you on your feet when days get busy but pretty fun Only complaint is the scheduling can be random. Or there is not enough hours
Fast-paced, resumé builder
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 11, 2019
This company is consistently understaffed and you will be over-worked. However, if long days and hard work don't bother you theres a high chance that you will be promoted from within. I started this job as Team member and was promoted to GM within a reasonable amount of time in the company, and I learned a fair amount about corportate business management. In order to earn your full wages as a GM you are expected to work 47 hour weeks, because they don't pay you salary. I.e: They offer you a figure that you would make but your regular hourly won't be that amount because they expect you to work 7 hours of OT weekly. The corporate support center and HR is terrible, I was assualted physically by an employee and do not feel like it was handled correctly. Repairs to machines and technical issues are constant. Often you will operate for weeks without issue resolvement from your higher ups.
Pros
Shift drink, Flexible scheduling, employee discount
Cons
Understaffed, Poorly run business model, breaks are not enforced
productive and fun
CASHIER/ BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2019
This job was very chill even though it was fact-paced. It ensured many social connects involving business ventures.Learning about the different styles of coffee helped me connect with different people that came to the store.
Mixed Review
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 7, 2019
I worked at Caribou and loved my job for the first half of the time I spent with the company. I loved the customers, and all of my coworkers. Management eventually changed and things quickly went downhill. Became very stressful and the district managers did nothing about a lot of the issues that went down. There were employees that worked 10 hour shifts and did not have an opportunity to take a break due to shortage of staff which was a real big bummer and caused a lot of burnout.

They also promised a raise, but never fulfilled it until I put my two weeks notice in.
Pros
Free Shift Drink, Met great people.
Cons
Didn't get breaks, poor management.
Unorganized and bad management
Barista/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 6, 2019
There was lack of training of employees, inappropriate treatment from management, low pay, and many errors in scheduling. There was also low staff causing many the few trained employees to go into overtime.
Nice place to work temporarily. But to be honest there really isn't room to grow in a coffee shop.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Moorhead, MNJune 6, 2019
I would recommend this job to college students and people looking for a little side cash. I wouldn't recommend working for a caribou in a grocery store. They try to put their policy on you. For example I had to battle with management to have a beard. Thier problem is they thought beard hair would fall into someone's coffee? Which is absurd! Seeing that they okay a cap as a hair net and people would shed hair like dogs.
That's my only issue. None the less it's chill.
Pros
Tips. Free coffee.
Cons
Policy, micro managing
Productive and fun workplace with lots of fun people to work with.
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJune 5, 2019
Mornings at work are always the busiest times of day but there's always time to connect to the regular customers that come in. My boss is fun and easy going but also manages the store extremely efficiently. I've learned a lot about working with others in a professional setting and how important time management is. Caribou is a very enjoyable workplace and being able to get to know the customers and their orders keeps the days interesting.
Very fun workplace
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Menomonie, WIJune 4, 2019
I loved the job and customers and I loved most of my coworkers but the management was not good and it was difficult to get shifts covered and was almost impossible to call in sick.
Pros
Free shift drink
Cons
Rarely take breaks, hard to cover shifts
Laidback coffee shop
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COJune 4, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of both busy and calm periods of time with fluctuations in the amount of customers coming in. I learned how to work in a fast paced environment and use time that wasn't as busy to fulfill other tasks. The culture of the workplace is very friendly between both the customers and the fellow coworkers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all of the orders during a rush, but the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with fun people.
Pros
free shift drinks and good environment
Cons
not many hours scheduled and busy rushes
best place to learn
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 1, 2019
caribou was my first barista job and they teach you everything you could ever need to know about coffee. best coffee shop hands down! they are on a clean label and apart of the rain forest alliance!
Employees Overstressed, Bad Customer Service, Way Too Much Yelling
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMay 26, 2019
I started at a new store and I was there from the beginning of training. Everything was great in the beginning, fun people and fun work.

However after a few months of being open things started to fall apart. The manager started to set a precedent of yelling at those beneath her, which the shift leads also started to do. Despite what I thought was pretty thorough training, quite a few team members had trouble with basic tasks, but it wasn’t handled professionally. A lot of them couldn’t keep up during the stores rush hours and when they fell behind they were routinely chewed out by the manager, shift leads, and even peers (in front of customers!).

Caribou is also very much about the numbers. They don’t schedule enough ppl to run a store because they’re trying to pay as few ppl as possible. You’re often expected to be filling at least two positions at once which is HIGHLY STRESSFUL. You also don’t get any of your 15 min breaks because there’s pretty much never anyone to relieve you. When you take your mandatory 30 everything pretty much falls apart.

Multiple times when I told someone I worked there they would immediately tell me about some bad experience they had there, it was embarrassing. Customers FREQUENTLY received wrong drinks and food, and were treated rudely. I never once had someone respond positively when I brought that place up. It wasn’t work I could be proud of. I did my best as an individual to make the customers happy but it has to be a team effort. I think people were under too stress to be able to provide a good customer experience. I honestly feel
  more... bad for everyone that still works there. It is NOT A GOOD ENVIRONMENT.  less
Pros
Free shift drink or Bagel, weekly dozen free bagels or bag of coffee
Cons
Can’t take your 15s
Lies and more lies
Senior Training Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Multiple storesMay 26, 2019
Caribou promises you the world and never follows through. The advancd people to district manager's who didn't even train their MITs well. You are punished for bring honest and as if right now there is a large pending lawsuit for wrongful termination by several former GM's.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
They lie
N/a
Barista,Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 24, 2019
I really wish I could get my job back I messed up bad cause I really enjoyed working here the people was great the vibe and everything we was a family and I never got that feeling from my other jobs
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albertville, MNMay 20, 2019
Shift lead did not understand how to talk to her new employees about mistakes they made, I was screamed af in front of customers and had unspeakable things said to me
Pros
One free coffee
Cons
No breaks
Customer oriented company
Senior General Manager (Current Employee) –  Chaska, MNMay 19, 2019
Caribou is very customer oriented while also trying to take care of there employees. the only problem was the higher up in the company the harder having a work life balance was.
What
Barista (Former Employee) –  Albert Lea, MNMay 16, 2019
I dont know. My manager is terrible. The customers are rude. I dont get paid enough. I really dont know what else to say like it's just an annoying g place to work
Pros
1 dollsr off
Cons
My manager sucks
not great
Barista (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNMay 15, 2019
We started hiring people without any work ethic, so it was very easy to slack off, which made things not fun and disorganized. Was okay for a summer or two.
Fun but sometimes stressful environment.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Blaine, MNMay 13, 2019
Loved working at Caribou until my managers both left and I started having hours cut. But great part time job for people in high school. I wouldn't recommend if you can't handle stressful situations and have quick thinking.
Pros
Shift drinks, discounts, possible new friends
Cons
Shot breaks, stressful on morning shift, old cashier systems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caribou Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight