Caribou Coffee

3.0Pay & Benefits

Found 30 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,193 reviews
coffeedrinkbaristashiftbeanfreestorepound

Good high school job

It was okay job for being in high school. Made drinks for customers and work the drive-thru also again I was in high school and I was also young. Good first job.

makes you tired but free coffee

good beginner job but after awhile itll take all of your energy to work there fun yo make coffee drinks and you get free drinks and not a bad discount but otherwise exhausting

Caribou Coffee insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Lots of waves of customer and dead times, but overall a good place to work

Caribou is a good place to work for a summer job, with early mornings and being done by noon, there is a whole day to do whatever. That being said there is not a lot of opportunity to move up or get pay raises

Stressful and not worth what little we get paid

I've been with this company since 2018 and this job adds more stress to my life than it's worth. The pay is too low in my opinion when the competing large chain coffee shops are offering higher wages and benefits. The yearly "raises" are pathetic and we baristas only really saw wage increases when they were desperate for new workers. The turnover rate is ridiculous, you have either been with the company for 3+ years or you are just starting out, there is really no in-between. I'm beyond frustrated with the lack of effort put in by the District Managers and other higher-ups, and most of this review is directed towards them. I know most store managers are trying their best with the hand they've been dealt. This review is a mess but I can't express how fed up I am with this job. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends have come from working at Caribou and my store is like a second family, but I would not suggest this job if you are looking for an easy way to move up the employment food chain.

Pros

free coffee and beans, fun coworkers

Cons

no benefits

January 27, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are bummed to hear your experience, as it doesn't align with our values. As a company, we strive for our employees to feel heard, valued and that they have room to grow and develop.

Over worked underpaid understaffed

Constantly drowning feeling. Caribou likes to put up a good façade that they really care about their employees but I haven’t seen any proof of that. The pay is ridiculously low and they absolutely will not budge. There’s never enough time to do important things like cleaning and restocking because we don’t have enough people. We don’t have enough time to train people so they just do a day of computer work and then get thrown into the pit. Customers can be rude and dumb. We deserve to get paid more for the back breaking work we do. I really believed it was going to be a fun, inclusive, low-stress family environment but it is none of those things. We’re not staffed enough to take a break at a decent time. We’re forced to take our breaks after only a few hours of light work, then spend 5 hours doing the really intense work.

Pros

Free shift drink, 30% off merch, food and drink, free half pound of beans each week, cash and card tips

Cons

Insulting pay, short staffed, badly timed breaks

October 7, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback, we appreciate hearing from you. Our teams - our people - are the backbone of Caribou, and we strive to constantly provide market-competitive pay/benefits and positive employee experiences. We are extremely disappointed to hear your experience does not reflect our company values or culture - supporting one another, and a place where everyone feels valued and heard. If you would like to share additional feedback, we'd love to hear from you. We encourage you to talk to all of your leaders. If you would like, you can also reach out to our HR Services team at 1-877-435-7268 to share your thoughts on how we can improve your experience.

Can be fun, but super stressful

The people you work with are great. However, you don't get paid enough for the amount of stress and rudeness you endure during your shifts from customers. I can see why they have a hard time keeping employees. The pay is terrible.

Pros

Free shift drink

Cons

Terrible pay

May 25, 2021
Appreciate you stopping by to share your opinion. We agree that what really makes Caribou special are the people who work here. As a company we strive to provide comprehensive and market-competitive pay and benefits for our team. We encourage you to talk to your manager about any concerns you have - as communication is key. Thanks again for your feedback!

Fast paced and great flexibility

Great company to work at as a team member/shift manager if you are a student or have another part-time or full-time job. Be prepared, and be expected to learn quickly. It may be considered a stressful job to some. Free shift drink, tea and ground coffee come with each position.

Pros

Great tips, free drinks, tea and coffee, ethical company

Cons

Stressful, somewhat bad pay

February 12, 2021
First, thank you for being a part of our Bou Crew! We are proud to support our employees with flexible work schedules that can work around their lives outside of Caribou! We are happy to hear that you have been enjoying working for Caribou and we thank you for all that you do!

okay

it was okay. i got paid okay. i got free drinks. co workers were okay. customers were okay. okay. management was decent. workplace culture was average.

October 22, 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We are sorry your experience was only okay. We appreciate all feedback so we can continue to grow and develop as a company. We hope we continue to see you as a regular at your local Caribou!

I like it

I met nice people. They have good benifits. I enjoy working there very much. You will get 1 free shift drink. Thet trained me everything in the shop as a team meber.

Pros

free drink

Cons

no breaks

September 23, 2020
We're glad you enjoyed your time at Caribou. Thank you for recognizing some of the benefits and positive experiences that that our stores provides the team!

High-energy workplace with fun tasks

Sometimes gets a little hectic, requires good teamwork skills. Flexible hours and shifts are often able to be covered. Ability to advance, but sometimes people do not receive the compensation/raise they deserve.

April 27, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, especially as a current employee. We are glad you have enjoyed the flexibility and opportunities for advancement. We will take your feedback regarding wage to the appropriate leaders. Thank you for being a part of the herd!

this was my first job

I got pais a dollar over min wage so that was nice. I liked my boss buy hes not there anymore. you akways got a brake. if you show up on time and do the work you will be fine.

Friendly and fast-paced workplace

It is an extremely fast-paced job with early hours which is the most difficult part of the job. The work is hard but is extremely rewarding for both future careers and personal character. The company seems to care more about making money than their employees, however. We are forced to come in during all weather conditions and even on holidays (excluding Christmas). The most rewarding part of this job is how many different people you meet and the experiences you create while working. Although it is hard, the benefits are worth it most of the time.

Pros

Free drink each shift, weekly free beans/tea, 30% one drink/food item

Cons

Early hours, little to no breaks, extremely busy

March 18, 2020
Thank you for taking time to leave a review as a current employee. We are glad that the work is rewarding for you. We value all of our team members safety and personal time and we encourage you to provide any feedback to your leadership team or HR Business Partner.

Very social.

Social time took up a majority of time. Besides large coffee rushes, there wasn't much to do in between orders. Most time was spend talking or doing cleaning tasks that didn't need to be done or would be dirtied rather soon.

Pros

Discounts on coffee

Cons

Loud environment, high stress, low pay

January 9, 2020
Thank you for your honest review. Caribou is always looking for ways to improve the experience for our employees. We value your feedback.

great coworkers not attiquate pay or advancement

as a part time employee you can get the hours in but they do not hire from within. they also seem to not pay the best but okay for a customer service job plus you get tips. The best part is the coworkers by far

Great for part-time work, not full-time

Caribou is great as a part-time employer. however neither full-time or part-time compensation is adequate. Reviews (and therefore raises) often go undone, and the wages of existing employees are not raised to match or exceed that of new hires.

Overall not a great place to work

I worked there for a year and a half and never got a review and raise. The new hires were getting paid more than me because of this. You aren’t recognized for the amount of work you do. The 5 AM shifts are really rough, but it is nice to get off work so early. I liked the actual job, but the stores are always so understaffed that they’d only have one barista scheduled at a time that you’d normally need 3. Customers are picky and impatient.

Pros

Shift drinks/food, 30% discount

Cons

Short breaks, understaffed, stressful environment, early shifts

Fast-paced, hectic, communicative

The salary was severely low for the amount of work that I did, there were no breaks in accordance with the 5 hour minimum and at times it was unorganized and hectic. However, the coworkers were fun and nice for the most part and many of the costumers were great and understanding.

December 27, 2019
Thank you for being a part of our team! We appreciate your feedback and will communicate your concerns to our team. We are glad you enjoy the wonderful customers and team members we have!

Discriminating

Work load is easy and product items are good. My experience in this company is very degrading and discriminating. They're going to offer the higher position to any young girls specially white / Caucasians even they are not willing. Secondly they cut my working days without notice and waiting for your schedule for 5 days... I don't understand their reason for labor cutting and yet they continues hiring people in ads and walk in.

Pros

discount for Coffee and Bagels

Cons

Discrimanating and lack of professionalism

Very Chill and Fun Environment

Great place to work albeit the pay is a bit light but fair and with quarterly raises you can easily work your way up. It's a quick paced environment but its almost always a blast.

Fun place to work, but doesn't pay the bills well

I have really enjoyed working at caribou. the job is easy to learn and do, the tasks are not overly challenging but still engaging. However, it doesn't pay the bills well. I live paycheck to paycheck and have no ability to save money nor can I afford curves in the road of life.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

poor pay, short hours

Awful place full of awful people.

The customers, the management, the job in its entirety was just terrible. I was a TM, under age, working full time. Never once had a break. Never got a raise. Heck, not even a thank you! This company only cares about the money. The customers treat you like you are their slaves and that they deserve to be served for free by you. I became burned out after my manager refused to cut my hours althought I was in highschool. Her boss supported her harassing and bullying team members into working ridiculous hours and doing even more ridiculous projects because the store manager didn't want to do it herself.

Pros

shift drink, tips

Cons

management, long hours, no raise, little pay, under staffed constantly