Carilion Clinic Employee Reviews

Would not recommend
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 3, 2019
I worked at Carilion for four years. I would not recommend it. Carilion does everything bassackwards. Their depts absolutely will not support their staff. They are out of touch and only care about themselves.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Poor management
Good place to work for
Food Technician (Former Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAJanuary 28, 2019
Good place to work for. Enjoy the job.Great people to work for.Can Easley move up the chain of command as long as you do your job well and effectively. Great management
Good environment with opportunity for advancement
Helpdesk Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 25, 2019
Great management who is interested in employee growth. Plenty of opportunity for advancement, and a commitment to hire internally. You will learn a ton about IT in the medical industry.
Good Job
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 22, 2019
Good place to work. Plenty of job security! Always pushing people to better themselves. Evaluations every year make you eligible for raises, which is great. They also assist in furthering your education with tuition reimbursement.
Stable Company
Communications Rep (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 16, 2019
Stable company with paid benefits. Carilion has several different locations you can choose to work from. Some departments are implementing a work from home option.
Pros
Retirement program and a pension
Loved my time there
Tech II environmental services (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 9, 2019
I am joyed working at Carilion environmental services. At time management had issuesBut they were able to fix scheduling was always an issue people not showing up for work having to work overtime having to correct people on their jobs which caused conflict between me and those because of relationship status in between management and employees other than that I had a great time working for Carilion.
IT Department
Application Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Carilion is a fine health system. Most of the people I know receive healthcare at Carilion facilities. The clinical facilities may be fine places to work, but the IT department is not. It is perhaps the most toxic and dysfunctional environment I've ever worked in.
Good place to get your career started
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pearisburg, VAJanuary 3, 2019
It was a very good first job to get my career started, however there is a lack of advancement and the culture is risky. I worked with nice people but upper management gets more political.
Amazing staff and coworkers
Flex Time Clinic Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAJanuary 2, 2019
I loved working here. I would have loved to get a full-time position but they were only hiring for PRN. They mentored me and took time to train me as it was my first job. They were extremely patient and flexible as I juggled this and another job in Northern Virginia. Would highly recommend this company! The only downside is the pay is lower than many places elsewhere in Virginia but the cost of living is lower too.
Pros
Free lunch, the fellow staff
Cons
low wage
Busy and continuous improvement
Manager,Service Center, Mobile Device, and AV (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 16, 2018
Carilion focuses on improving the care to its patients and improving the overall health to the community. On a typical day we are working through process improvements or how to integrate new technologies into the environment. Meetings will be spent around staff development and monitoring the improvements we are making in our organization.
Environmental Tech 1
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VADecember 14, 2018
Poor management, current employee, certain employees get away with doing nothing while certain employees get a work load that keeps having more added to it.
Workplace culture
Data Processing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 13, 2018
Carilion Clinic is pretty decent place to work. Just wished they paid more for the positions. However, I am very thankful to be employed with them for over 16 years.
Productive and fun workplace
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 2, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. I enjoy working in healthcare. There are lots of opportunities within Carilion, good healthcare and benefits. I feel that Carilion is a great company to work for.
pay is decent work is good
certified biomedical technician (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 20, 2018
AM : morning meeting to address any problems or situations. get started on repairs. Some times we travel to a different hospital/clinic Get the equipment up and running. Learned a lot of trouble shooting skills on my own because I didn't get formal training. also learned people skills from servicing equipment at outlying facilities. our management was young and their lack of experience showed. The hardest part of the job was making do when you didn't anything to do with. The most enjoyable part of the job was the thanks for a job well done from the people that were counting on you to get their equipment fixed so they could count this day as a productive one.
Cons
not a lot of training
Stressful place to work
Department Secretary - Rehabilitation Center (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 19, 2018
Employees were always being rushed to do more with less time. Management style was like a dictatorship. I learned a lot about working in different areas. The hardest part of the job was always being rushed. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Management styles
Not worth it !!
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington Va/Stonewall Jackson HospitalNovember 15, 2018
I was a new employee for overnight shift. Had a person train me for a few weeks then I was left on my own. They expected me to know everything. It would get really busy at night sometimes. I just felt so overwhelmed and still not sure how to do everything. I think a new employee should have more training and there needs to be at least two people working the front end in the ER every night ! To much for just one person ! There is also a lot of bullying allowed !! Can't trust anyone there ! Also see were they are hiring for my position again ! That should tell you something !! Red flag for sure !
Pros
Cant think of any !
Cons
No lunch break, needs to be at least two people for over night shift especially for someone that just started !
Fast Paced and very busy
Billing Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 14, 2018
A typical day at work is answering between 25-100 calls as well as making outbound calls. I have learned a lot about health care. The management at Carilion are great.
Pros
People
Cons
Short Breaks and Low pay
good place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 10, 2018
great place to work, busy, self scheduling, can be promoted with in company. management is helpful and compationate. when we are short staffed its hard but management understands.
Pros
good place to work
As a patient observation assistant my life could be in danger at any moment.
PATIENT OBSERVATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 19, 2018
This was the toughest job I ever had to do. It has its many rewarding points as well. But most of the time I worked with suicidal patients who needed watching 25/7 or patients on drugs who were a danger to themselves or others. Sometimes it was just dementia patients and that always made me sad. My job was to protest all of these from hurting themselves while still providing basic medical care and daily cares of living mine bathing and shaving. But after seeing people who had shot rhemselves or stabbed themselves in an attempt to end their life I knew the lab life was the path for me. I could still save lives and help treatment yet on the other side of care.
Pros
Seeing people realize just how much their choices affected their loved ones.
Cons
Worked with violent people who could try to harm you.
A great place to work
Senior Director Surgical Services Quality (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 9, 2018
Good benefits and they live the mission and values. Good team work and lots of support to teams for process improvement. Quality is a focus. Employees are valued
Pros
Good support from leadership, lots of change
Cons
Busy organization, lots of change

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carilion Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight