Carleton College Employee Reviews

4.6
Ratings breakdown
Fine
Work Study Office Clerk, Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNJune 16, 2018
Fine, but it needs more surveying for accurate analysis of student and employee body.

Typical Work days,
fair and kind employers,
diverse workplace culture,
Fairly easy most days, moderately challenging on others.

Loved working with students that needed assistance, loved running errands to my favorite offices
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low Hours
College Work Study
Music Collections Curator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMarch 27, 2018
Pretty good experience for work study--good supervisors, decent training. I had flexible hours and an office, which was helpful for a very busy college student.
I was just a student worker
Digital Humanities Associate (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNFebruary 18, 2018
Student workers are all paid the same as part of financial aid packages. There's nothing interesting to note here and, while there are non-students employed by the college obviously, a student worker's experience can't speak to that.
Helpful and informative starting job
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNJanuary 7, 2018
The manager was great to work with, she made the environment fun and informative. The amount of work expected from the students was manageable and didn't conflict with classes or homework.
Fun and enriching place to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNDecember 13, 2017
Was a student worker, I wish I got paid more. The work culture is relaxed and no one takes themselves too seriously. Over all I would definitely come back and work there in the future.
Enjoyable and relaxed job that allows for control over scheduling
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNDecember 4, 2017
I am a former tutor for Northfield Reads and Counts, a local branch of the nationwide America Reads and Counts initiative in which college students tutor K-12 students. I tutored kindergarten, second grade, and third grade.

A typical day tutoring involved walking to work (the bussing was unreliable), speaking with the teacher I assisted upon arrival, and assisting the teacher as necessary with various classroom activities, which were different each day. Some days I simply sat in a chair and observed the class while they did activities as a class. Other days I did special activities with the students, such as reading chapter books to them in the hall or administering and grading spelling tests. And since I helped a few different teachers and grades, the activities I helped with greatly depended on the class. But a typical day consisted of helping teachers grade papers, cleaning up after the children when they were finished with activities, and walking around the room to see if any students were struggling or doing their work incorrectly.

This job taught me about patience and grace, something I learned both from working with the children and from observing the manners of the teachers. The teachers I worked for were super understanding and kind––they definitely exhibited Minnesota niceness. It also taught me dedication and perseverance.

The most difficult part of the job was probably either working with unruly kindergarteners or getting to work in the first place––I walked because the school bus there was unreliable. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably getting
  more... to know the children.  less
Pros
Control over scheduling, kind teachers
Cons
Unreliable transportation
Great
GIS Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNOctober 3, 2017
I'm a Carleton College student and have worked in the GIS lab for 3 terms until now. It's a great experiance because I learned a lot while doing so real projects.
Good work environment for a college student
Post Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNMay 17, 2017
Fairly relaxed work environment for a college student, allows you to make some money while also managing to get homework done. Would recommend to most students.
Great student job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNApril 13, 2017
Gained a lot of valuable experience in teaching. Learned from a professor who was an excellent role model and example. Would do it again, 10 out of 10.
Great working/learning environment
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNFebruary 27, 2017
Carleton was a great school to attend, and working in the geology department was an amazing learning experience. Every shift I worked involved something new, and I also had the chance to work on some longer projects.
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNFebruary 7, 2017
Fun and enjoyable
Everyone likes to have fun at work while getting the job done.
Only down fall for me was having to much time off, only work 32 weeks a year
Bookstore Director, 2002-2015 (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNApril 22, 2015
Very good environment. Allows you to work with little supervision as long as you do your job well. I recommend it highly.
Trusting and Entertaining Environment
Dean of the College Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNDecember 27, 2014
In a typical day, I go around the office asking if there are any projects that need to be completed and I follow through with whatever is asked of, from merging mail requests to decorating the office for some type of holiday. My supervisors are very funny and nice and I feel very comfortable asking questions. Hardest part of my job is organizing all of the tasks asked of me from different people because I am unsure which are necessary to be done before others. The most enjoyable part is accomplishing projects and presenting them to the desired person and getting more projects.
Great Campus for Students and Young Professionals
Computer Service Manager/Help Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNOctober 12, 2013
Enjoyed working at Carleton for 28 years.
Went from introducing PCs and Macs to over 2,000 state of the art devices including laser printers and multifunction devices
Facilities Office - Maintenance Admin. Assistant
Maintenance Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNJune 18, 2013
Each day was busy with assisting staff, faculty, and students to assure that their questions or issues were taken care of by the proper person. Working with co-workers was important. Variety was the most enjoyable and sometime the most challenging part of each day.