Carlow University Employee Reviews

corporate and student cafeteria
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 12, 2019
lots of catering on and off site, learned to manage time more efficiently. weekends off and holidays as well including summers. only downfall was that staff was union. if not used to working with a union I don't recommend it for you
Pros
weekends off
Cons
union shop
Good contract work
Support student (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2018
Good IT infrastructure in place and it was a pleasant place to work while my contract has me there. I worked a one month contract to assist getting ready for the upcoming academic year so there was some pc setup and a lot of student password resets.
Poor
Assistant Soccer Coach (Former Employee) –  Oakland, PAAugust 25, 2018
Was a coach for a brief time. DId not feel that it was a good fit as my time nor the time of the players was of any importance to the head coach. Would not recommend.
working with great people
Barista (Current Employee) –  Oakland, PAMay 18, 2018
the hardest part of the job is dealing with college students. Students taking each other's food and drinks without checking the pager or the receipt. and we would have to remake their food or drink daily.
Tutor
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 2, 2018
Work with students to he them learn materials. Hard to teach some students who didn't really care to learn. Some students expect tutor to do their homework for them.
Great people but horrible culture
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 1, 2018
If you absorb a process to help in times of limited staffing, you keep it for the foreseeable future. People leave and their tasks go to existing staff members, most of whom are already overwhelmed. The people are generally friendly and genuine, but the work-life balance is close to non-existent. Staff members are treated like peasants by some of the more tenured faculty members.
Pros
Break between Christmas and New Years
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Fun and enjoyable place to work
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
Great individuals to work with and great work environment. My typical day at work was short and enjoyable. I worked part time but I accomplished a lot of things in my work day.
I need to the hours to go to school at night
Pressman (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 10, 2018
Very easy job There was not enough work to keep two men busy.
Was able to go to school to become and Electrician. I just finished school. Then they figured out they did not need two people to do this job and I got layed off.
Pros
I was abled to go to school to become an Electrician
Cons
very bad pay
Terrible place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 18, 2018
The financial management there is totally clueleee. The only way to receive accolades is to be an apple polisher. Harassment is very subtle but is everywhere. The entire management in every discipline should be replaced.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
No leadership, or cooperation.
Do not become a police officer here
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 9, 2017
You will be mandated continually in a department that is continously under-staffed. The managers, one at least, doesnt have true law enforcement experience, nor is a leader. It is write-up central. Violate a minor policy, suspended without question. You aren't allowed to conduct traffic stops or be a true police officer. Managers/school personnel choose how you handle a case. Oh, don't expect raises either.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Under-staffed, incompetent supervision, low pay
Love My Job!
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2017
I love working at Carlow! I have been a Resident Assistant for almost three years. I love planning programs for my residents to grow as students and explore new ideas. The Carlow community is wonderful. I feel fully supported and encouraged to explore my ideas.
Excellence in higher education
School of CounselingEducation Field Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 29, 2017
Working as a field instructor for carlow university was enjoyable and always a wonderful learning experience. Being able to evaluate and support graduate level students continues to be a lifelong learning experience.
Excellent atmosphere
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 2, 2017
Carlow is an amazing workplace. The environment is welcoming and encouraging. The professors and staff go above and beyond to offer help and advice to those who are working for them.
Engaging, dynamic, challenging.
Associate Professor of English (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2017
Teaching a variety of English and writing courses at this university was a stimulative experience. Loved the students as well as my colleagues and staff at this private institution. I miss it terribly.
Pros
Innovative thinkers.
Cons
Winters in Pittsburgh are challenging.
Quality education
Adjunct Faculty Member (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 14, 2016
A wonderful institution providing education in the professional counseling field.. Students are given an great opportunity to learn and practice skills in becoming a professional counselor.
Carlow was a great way to network and build myself for my future.
Social Media Director of Spirit (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2016
Working in admissions was a way to test my communication skills and build my resume for experience in the future. It was an interesting community of people and I appreciate the opportunity.
Supportive and expert faculty
Adjunct Instructor RN-BSN Program (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 17, 2016
The positive community of Carlow University is advantageous for student academic success. Faculty and staff are available for guidance and consultation.
Caring and Productive Place to Work
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 12, 2016
I am employed at the tutoring center as a work study employee. The job is very straight forward,and management is caring and productive.
Pros
Understanding and flexible management
Cons
Can only work a set number of hours as a work study student
Great work environment
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 3, 2016
I was responsible for supervising exercise equipment and those engaging in workouts in which I maintained a clean and safe fitness environment, became CPR certified – American Heart Association
- Trained in how to respond to infants, adolescents, and adults in an emergency situation including compressions, ventilations, and defibrillation
Over worked under paid !
Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2015
I work in Staff not Teaching ! They pile work load upon you that is impossible to complete . the turn over rate of employeess is unimaginable employees last about 1 to 2 years. The pay cycle is monthly but can go as long as 5 to 6 weeks. It's not the type of place to work as you would think . If employeed keep job searching because you can't move forward here !
Benefits
Cons
Thinking that you have a good job!