Carlson Wagonlit Travel Employee Reviews

Hired via acquisition
Senior Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJanuary 19, 2019
I originally started working for another agency. That agency was purchased by another agency. Then the second agency was purchased by Carlson Wagonlit Travel. When I interviewed, it was not with CWT, but with the initial agency.

The management styles of the three agencies mentioned above were quite different. The first agency did not micromanage us, for me it was a good fit. The second agency was similar to the first. CWT tended to micromanage the way we handled the reservations, and I found their process difficult to adjust to.
Pros
Many benefits such as health insurance, pet insurance, etc
Cons
Micromanaged everything.
This used to be a fun place to work
Senior Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 11, 2019
I worked for this company many years. Over the last few years there had been a complete overhaul in management and management methods. There no longer was any employee loyalty even if you brought to the table knowledge, quality, and productivity. It appeared the company invested in a new training program; the employees were not advised of the investment in this training. The training included heavy monitoring with no feedback. Reviews by your immediate supervisor could be glowing and yet you could end-up on the list for lay-off unless you're willing to be available 24/7 for the 24 Hour Service Center. Most employees are virtual and expected to be available outside of their normal shift to assist. They cut your normal hours and expect you to be available to assist the 24HSC at all times. The 24HSC holds several calls being understaffed so your phone will ring almost every weekend and several times during the week in the evening to assist.
Pros
They have good benefits
Cons
See the review
Professional work environment.
Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 4, 2019
Learned a lot in my time there. Had a very supportive manager and was given opportunities to learn new skills and new professional experiences. WAs not micro managed.
Pros
Supportive management style.
Cons
Downsiziing resulted in lay offs.
Good company to work for.
Global Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 26, 2018
Good company to work for. Carlson Wagonlit Travel is always innovating their systems and looking for new ways to grow. Unfortunately there's lay-overs from time to time.
Ping pong
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 18, 2018
I got to work on a lot of really fun projects while working here but the best thing about the job was playing ping pong for a few minutes every day after lunch.
Pros
Ping pong
Cons
Located in Plymouth
Fun to work with my colegues
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesDecember 15, 2018
Job was easy, if only my immediate supervisor is supportive and on focus. Getting no support with your Team Lead is one reason why employeeis resigning.
Absolutely Horrible
Director of Business Development (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 9, 2018
Leadership is clueless about how horrible the traveler services group is and the hit to their reputation has taken. Technology does not work half the time or too expensive.
Pros
Cons
don't let them sucker you in, their integrity is horrible!
rewarding experience
International Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 4, 2018
The travel department taught me time management, how to manage stress, teamwork and satisfaction in assisting others and meeting demanding needs of general public,CEO's and VIP's.Many vendors visit on site with new programs, free lunches and free trips.Very demanding job assisted the Group Desk and relocation of top Companies in NJ and out of state, such has Exxon Mobile and Bristol Myers Squibb.
Inexperienced management
Workforce Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 4, 2018
I felt that low and middle management did not have a firm grasp on how to manage the people. Also, they did not seem to want to take the recommendations of the Workforce Management team.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low pay, managers are not very knowledgeable about people mgmt
Maybe For a 2 Income Family
Senior Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2018
Low pay against industry average. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. Little room for advancement and dead end. Forget about raises. Little to no flexibility. Upset and frustrated clients (and that is really very understandable). This is a stepping stone at best. Be ready to move on.
Pros
Almost pays the bills
Cons
Where old travel agents go to die.
Big fish, little swamp pond
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 3, 2018
The more you know, the more responsibilities they give you. The lesser trained agents got to ride on your coat tails. Management gives no rewards or recognition for your accomplishments. NO fams, NO educational incentives. Vendor visits are few and far between. You're an order taker and Carlson hires anyone - even with very little experience. You're a big fish in a little pond and not making enough to work the long hours needed to cover service level expectations. It's an okay place for a year or two but anything more than that, you won't go anywhere. They hired some pretty unprofessional people, it's an embarrassment to the company. If only the clients knew someone from Best Buy with two weeks training was in charge of your travel! best advice is to go in and pretend to be stupid. You won't be over burdened with extra responsibilities the others can't handle, Think Phase IV, don't let anyone know you can do them - you'll be doing them for everyone all day long!
Pros
free sodas
Cons
Horrible co workers not properly vetted to be agents, Long hours, little reward. No bonuses, no recognition.
This is a time dated review
Unix Technical Analyst & Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 30, 2018
In my time with Carlson Wagonlit Travel I was tasked with Unix administration and application support. This dates back 12 years so opinion is certainly not current to how this organization functions today.
Lessons Learned
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 29, 2018
I would have to say that this is quite the learning experience. There was very little time to spin-up on projects and new technology and it was quite the amount of online reading.
Synopsis
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2018
Great job culture and certification as a travel counselor with approved accredited college units, so technically I am a certified travel counselor. The company is a leader in travel management and is dedicated to keeping its clients free from stress while handling travel arrangements.

Management is more there to support, but you are self managed and free to make sound acumen. Very professional in all aspects, especially training. The pay is very good with excellent job security.

I sincerely appreciate Carlson's employment leveraging and support.
Pros
Centrally located in Phoenix, always food by cooperative sales channels visiting the premises, ability to move out of state and work from home on contract.
Cons
No complaints, they are a professional company.
Decent job for the money
Sr. Service Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 17, 2018
Working hours were my issue when employed there. Long days including weekends. However, the people, and culture were exceptional. Always willing to help. This job had many hats at the time, and was extremely fun. However, weekends were quiet as you are the only one there. I hear the job has changed a lot since I was there last. I liked this job a lot, and the company. Wished I had more opportunities to grow with the company. Some employees have been there for 20+ years. Hotel visits were a bonus and lots of fun.
Pros
Hotel showcases, benefits, working conditions, tools to do work, fun
Cons
long hours when I worked there. however 3 days off.
Great coworkers
Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNOctober 8, 2018
I was hired for a dedicated account and it was purchased by another company so we had no word on our job security for several months. People were leaving the account including the only in-house agent, supervisor so I accepted a new position elsewhere.
Pros
Helpful coworkers.
Cons
Sunshine days and no pay.
Great atmosphere
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOSeptember 21, 2018
This was one of my favorite jobs. The culture was very good for the most part. Near the end of my employment here, there were many changes happening that scared me out of the company.

I would absolutely go back if the right opportunity arose.

Very caring team that relies on each other in a very positive way.
Pros
Travel perks, decent benefits
Cons
Lack of growth, ambition is met with passiveness
Great travel agency to work for with excellent benefits.
Receptionist/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNSeptember 4, 2018
At Carlson Wagonlit Travel I served as a receptionist/administrative assistant. It was a challenging and fast paced business. The job was always interesting and exciting to learn about customer's travel plans.
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2018
The employees are the greatest asset in CWT, everyone is so willing to do their best! The executive team is doing their best to set direction. The company can benefit from stronger HR policies and leadership coaching.
Poor experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
This company does not reward hard work and knows no loyalty to its employees. Poor management, self-serving and without any real zeal for enhancement of employee involvement, run away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carlson Wagonlit Travel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight