Carlton Senior Living Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Nice place nice people
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 30, 2018
Star to read de Menu of the day ,follow the recipies and prepare the food,check the inventory and star to make notes the missing items to make the next order. Clean, meetings ,talk with the residentes
Pros
Free Lunch and drinks
Cons
The food department it was managment for a different company and Carlton Plaza
Caregiver/ medtech (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJuly 23, 2018
All the employees are very helpful and nice. Managers are always there to help and willing to ask any questions or concerns you may have. Everyone at Carlton including the residents are all very loving.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Pay rate can be a little higher for all the work done. It’s not easy
Caring Culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJuly 13, 2018
There is a true sense of compassion within Carlton Communities and Home Office. Coming from a "corporate world" I find it refreshing to work for a company that cares about everyone's day to day experiences.

Everyone appreciates how the CEO has daily interaction with all of the employees. We love seeing him walk around the office to greet all of us and say hi to everyone before he starts his work day.
Pros
Caring and understanding leaders
Wonderful Company!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 28, 2018
I have been employed with Carlton Senior Living for 9.5 years. I love working in the Senior Industry and could not imagine working for a better company. The management and staff our kind, loving and cohesive which makes working a pleasant and positive experience. As an employee, I feel extremely valued and appreciated. What I love most about Carlton is the way all employees are treated with respect and love. It's a wonderful place to work!
worst place to work
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 13, 2018
memory care management is very poor.
they need to re train all management.

They let 1 death in memory care go under the rug

they have favorites
it was a fun work place until old managers left and new ones came in and didnt make it a fun enviroment to be in or even to work in
Caregiver/Med Tech (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAJune 11, 2018
the new management is not so good, but the co workers were the best and the residents made me so happy to be there and help them, seeing a smile on those peoples faces are priceless
Horrible!
N/A (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 7, 2018
This place is so unorganized, management plays favorite and there is constant gossip behind everyone back. If you get under the wrong person you will get fired without good reasoning because of their buddy system with employees. If I was you I would look else where.
Pros
Cons
Immature managment
It’s not for everyone
Personal Care Aide/ Medication Technician (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAMay 16, 2018
I love my job. My residents are wonderful. My coworkers are some of the most loving and funny people I know. But this job is hard, both emotionally and physically taxing. Miscommunication between departments, unorganized management and the ridiculous amount of gossip make it more stressful than it needs to be. I’ve grown a lot not just in the company but personally because of this job and that seems to be enough for me.
Pros
Awesome staff and eccentric residents
Cons
Management, gossip
Friendly atmosphere and great people.
Personal Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 11, 2018
Love working here, don't intend on leaving. Just wish the pay was a bit better. But they do care for their employees. They provide meals for the employees which is great. Even though the pay isn't great, they still have many perks of working there.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not enough pay
Must work hard and just do the job
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 3, 2018
A typical day at Cartlon senior living of San Jose can be happy, sad and hectic all in one day. Working there is happy because your clients with always be there to help you throughout the day. Sad because a client may have slipped or is going to the hospital again. Lastly hectic because there can be so much going on in one day time will pass right through. Managemant in Carlton wasn't the best i feel because some of the managers are not as responsible as others. Hardest part of the job would be is if a client was upset and they start yelling and cursing at you. The most enjoyable part of my job is that is keeps me busy. When i;m working I dont have to worry about anything except doing my job.
Pros
you interact with the same people and everyone knows everyone a friendly enviornment
Cons
lot of empoylees call in, managers are childish
Not bad but not the best
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 3, 2018
It was alright when I got there they didn’t even have a manager overall it was good until people got hired and quit after like 2/3 days it was ridiculous
Great place
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 2, 2018
This is a great job if you have a lot of patience and love making people happy. If you are motivated to create new activities the tools would be there for you
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long time on your feet
Terrible place to work.
Medicine Technician/ Personal Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Management is terrible. There are plenty of reasons as to why you burn out so quickly. The communication between staff is also terrible. I can see why someone from Carlton told me that they had gone through 20 PC within 2 months. Till this day they are still trying to hire PCs.
A nice working environment and great staff!
Housekeeping/Laundry (Current Employee) –  6915 Elk Grove Blvd.January 19, 2018
Love working there, great environment, staff, employees as well as residents. Great chef's and management. Very beautiful community to have your loved ones live.
Pros
Free lunch, nice holiday parties, good food
Cons
The pay, not enough working hours
Great first job
Waitstaff/ Waitstaff Lead (Former Employee) –  Davis, CA 95618January 17, 2018
Working there as a first job was great, learned a lot of skills and working with the residents was very enjoyable. Loved working with the people and loved the location and facility as well.
Productive, friendly environment
Wait staff (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJanuary 9, 2018
In this job I learn about how alzheimer/dementia is. How the residents acts or the steps to knowing that they are getting to a certain stages. In memory care, there are some days that the residents are agitated, have anxiety or an emotional breakdown. And some days they are not.

Every seasons the building will be decorated with all sorts of things. Since valentine is coming up, I notice that the rooms in Memory cares door have pink/red hearts.

The hardest part about this job is knowing that the residents won't remember us(workers). The worst is when they no longer live there. Its either because they found another home care or they left.

I love to see the residents when they come down to the dinning room to eat. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Its sad not to see them to come down. Because they are either sick or don't feel well or just feel like eating. Even if I know that I still feel sad that they are not downstair. But as a waitstaff I get to go check on them when they don't come down to eat. I love how we have events or bunches. I get to see the residents with all sorts of food that they can only eat onces in awhile. I like to see their big smile when they see the big portions of food on their plates. Even I know they might not finish it, I still give them a big portions.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
when you work a 7:30 - 2 shift you get 30 min, but when you work 11: 30 - 7:30 you are to take an hour break
Poor management, low pay, favoritism with managers
Wait Staff/Server (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2018
I believe that Carlton was very unfair. The managers had a lot of favoritism and showed it. The scheduling was bad. The “adults” were very childish. The only good thing about it was ONE free meal whenever on the clock.
High turnover rates...
Medication Technician (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJanuary 6, 2018
Residents are great! Management on the other hand, they are somewhat hard to work with. They do play favorites. Free lunch/dinner. Overall I feel like it's a decent place.
Stressful and harssing
Server (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 26, 2017
Co workers are rude, not helpful, poor attitudes . Poor management. She didn't know what she was doing not did she help. They talk bad about you in Spanish and pretend to be your friend.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Little breaks
company with heart
Director of Plant Operations (Former Employee) –  Concord, CANovember 23, 2017
this company had a lot of heart and soul until the owner retired and hired a president with no heart no soul just out for his own bonuses firing all the company personal that gave the company its success.
Pros
great owner
Cons
president with no brains for the vision we started with