CarMax

United States4,773 reviews

Found 4,773 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,819 reviews

Encouraging and uplifting workplace

Featured review

CarMax selected this as a representative review
I enjoy taking with all of my managers and they are always there to make sure I succeed in my role. They are always making sure we are setting goals to progress within the company. Feel a strong sense of belonging within my team. Excited to grow within the company and see where it takes me.

It's just, OK

You don't really serve a purpose here, just do the same routine daily that any person with little bit of training can do. It's decent to pay bills and live. It's Diverse, same outline that every "top great place to work" follows. I wish they'd utilize leads and managers in escalation lines to help when you get stuck or de-escalate situations. Instead they micromanage which is most useless. Also, wish they'd focused on getting more one-on-one time with a manager after training instead of three months after, because you've already form habits. Than they tell you it's wrong and try to fix it from scratch again. Just smile and wave when this happens. It's true, you will have anxiety from hearing your phone ring. Calls are not back to back- which is great. Boring job. The vacation is blah, and not flexible with work life balance. Seems like nobody really knows what is happening, you just go through the process. If I hear "iconic experience" one more time. You can have a good call and have the customer satisfy, but they lowkey want you to follow a template of a call flow, and if you don't to them the call was not perfect. The End.

CarMax insights

Based on 3,252 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great place to work, BUT...

Crazy schedules, free lunches, great coworkers. Never dreaded going to work. Unfair pay for the business office, though. They do a lot of work and help run the place. Other departments would be sitting around socializing and playing on their phone while the business office associates would be working non-stop. They work hard and deserve to be paid as such!

Great if you like corporate, horrible micro management

I can totally see this being a great fit for someone who likes corporate / desk jobs. They have great benefits, plenty of space to work in-person (with great amenities at said office), and they really have an amazingly diverse team. That said, the micro management - particularly when working from home - is a NIGHTMARE. They say your focus is to provide an iconic customer service experience, but it's not. It's to sell vehicles, and that means running credit applications even when you know you shouldn't. They boast integrity but you really can't have much of it if you don't want your managers to hound you about quotas. Some managers are lovely, others don't have a clue and some others are downright nasty (rude). Managers also oftentimes don't agree on an answer to a question you may have, which just makes your life more difficult. By the time I left this job, I got anxious every time the phone rang.

Pros

benefits, diversity, remote or hybrid option, paid training

Cons

poor management, micromanagement, lack of accommodation, escalations not taken seriously

Great

happy there. We partner with the industry's leading information technology manufacturers, integrators, and resellers to provide our country's federal, state, and local governments and academic institutions with IT solutions that best fit their needs and budgets.And we do this very, very well. In fact, no other government contractor in the marketplace has been able to achieve and sustain such phenomenal growth in such a short amount of time.

Fun supportive

Great place to work great people. Very supportive with great pay. A lot of experience and great sales process. Training is very personable . I would recommend to anyone

Pros

Not micro managed

Cons

Managers lie to make carmax and themselves sound good

Poor management, nobody cares like they say they do. They hire a bunch of kids that stir up the pot there, don’t waste your time trying to work here. My car was hit in employee parking while I was clocked in one day and management never offered to fix it or do anything about it.

FANTASTIC place to work! Nurturing atmosphere! Very Teamwork driven!

Very upbeat and positive environment! Extremely good flexibility accomodating appointments during work day. A family/friendly environment throughout. Overall great place to work!

Great place for growth, if you commit all to CarMax

CarMax can be a good place for growth and development, just as long as you are willing to work all day to achieve it. Home office is not shy about having you work well over 12 hrs 5 days a week. Having a life outside of CarMax is not of the business need, so rarely is it considered. I do not believe that it is an issue with the local store, as much as the issue lies in the policies CarMax have in place.

Overall good company to work for

I enjoyed working with the people there. Management was always available and generally ready to assist. The benefits were good and so was the work life balance.

Sales

They want you to be a robot and to just do things their way, if you don't, they will put you on notice and make you have constant supervision until they feel you have conformed.

Good benefits., bonuses. Raises . Easily advancing. Great hours . Friendly co workers . Management seems to care . You can travel around they help you with moving expenses

Pros

Benefits. Pay

Cons

Micro managing

It was alright

The Roseville location was alright, the inventory management played favorites a lot and never stuck to their word. Inventory associates also talked behind everyone’s back. Didn’t feel like a family.

Great work culture and decent pay

Commission for sales consultants should be higher. The way splits are determined needs improvement as well. I love working here but I don’t feel I’m being paid adequately for the amount of effort I put in.

They do not pay a fair wage

Carmax Talks a good game, but at the end of the day they do not compensate fairly. And they will not have your back if you get sick or injured, inspite of the promises they make.

Good job security...pay could be improved

Good job, most positions are underplayed from entry to management unless you're senior management with several years under your belt. Alot of options and job opportunities as well as growth but like I said tht money won't add up until you've been there a while, unless you're in sales then it's up to you how much you make

Good

Ok for a college student or someone who’s only looking for a part time job. Management is very picky on who they give hours too. Try looking into sales

Average

Average workplace where job can be very stressful if you work under management that doesn't care. Most days our manager wasn't even around, customers couldn't understand that. But obviously they didn't care.

Cons

Management, no room to grow

Eh

Not so good it was the manager that sucked but everything else about it was ok the job was not hard once u get the hang of it. I liked the people k woken

Opportunities are abundant

+ Compensation is the best in the industry + Satisfying that you can personally impact your team and help them develop.+ Never lack in things to do. Between operations, sales and training you will always be busy.+ Interacting with all types of people with all types of situations. Fun business model that can cater to any type of customer.+ Lots of opportunity to promote if you are willing to relocate.- Sales associates are straight commission, this leads to an environment that can be very challenging. Morale is directly tied to their pay and at times the drama can be overwhelming.-Regional leadership can be good or terrible depending on the mix of people. We went from having an RVP that was people oriented and focused on development to an RVP who does not care about his team and only wants to make his bonus.- HR team is always looking for a “gotcha”, they are more concerned about the hourly or commissioned teams than they are about the well being of management.-Work life balance does not exist in this company at a store level. If you leave 15 minutes early be prepared for your commissioned team to complain to HR. Rigid and outdated perspectives from Regional management, they take plenty of time off while you are discouraged to do so in the store.- Departments are siloed and different expectations for different senior managers exist. In sales expect to work 50+ hours a week and you will be on calls on your day off. But in Purchasing they work less than 40hours, supervise less associates and are never held accountable.-

Not bad

The company is great overall, the location I was in was more experimental and not managed the best, which lead to a lot of stress. It can toll on your mental health, especially if you are constantly staying late etc to close sales.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarMax. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at CarMax.
Powered byComparably