Play YouTube video button

CarMax Employee Reviews

United States3,768 reviews
Found 3,768 reviews matching the search
Featured review
CarMax selected this as a representative review
team player environment, very supportive and busy. awesome work life balance. The break rooms and cafeteria are definitely a plus when working long days.
Management here is awful, clean house and bring in people passionate about others and maybe this job would be worth it. Current managers only care about themselves and how they are going to get further in the company
I believe in CarMax cars, I believe in the system the cars go through. I will still buy a vehicle from CarMax. Management on the other hand is very very cut-throat and if you and any management have a bad day on a decision with a customer's that they feel like you are going too hard for the customer or a situation like trying to prove the customer stipulations so they can get the car of their dream. They will hold a grudge and the next thing you know, management will be plotting against you. I watched this happen to other people never knowing it was going to happen to me. I know the first thing people will think he was probably missing days or something like that, No I work 95 hours every two week never miss work. Also staying in CarMax president club status for 2 years of being there. By me going to bat to help customers back fired and they didn't like that about me, so the first situation that could have been a talking to or something like that I was fired. Don't trust it for a career just buy vehicles from there
Pros
Good Vehicles
Cons
Don't think it's a career job
This is an awful company to work for, they don't care about employees nor do they have any integrity, they lack motivation, very drama filled company and employees plus managers, DON'T WORK HERE!
Pros
Cons
bad management, zero respect for life, dishonest
Upper store management is a joke and HR just pushes it under the rug! Fired for words used in frustration to manager incompetence, HR at corporate level isn’t any help they defer to store management. It is a cancerous environment.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Upper management make you feel like the hired help
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
I worked with some awesome team members. Make sure you fully understand the compensation package. Not sure if the company does any leadership development. All the managers were excellent when it came to understand processes and helping you, but not all were good leaders.
Pros
Awesome team members to work with!
Cons
Work life balance. Compensation.
Profits are all that matter. No more bigger picture. The past couple of months of this pandemic have exposed how little they care about the employees here.
It has been rough working in this company the moment you get out of training there is not enough support to be equipped to deliver to the customer. Leadership have poor communication skills and the role is not commensurate with the amount of work load one is tasked to do.
Pros
Working remote for now
Cons
No set schedule and too many changes in the department.
Nice people, great atmosphere, good pay (could be better but is way better than other places) every other month mandatory overtime (I don't mind that but some people will). Great opportunities to grow and get promoted.
Pros
Co-workers, Atmosphere, Culture of respect.
Cons
None.
Detail is okay until you start doing the same thing except the expectations get crazy. Pay is alright compared to other places. Advancement is decent.
Hours are all over the place it’s not stable everday your schedule at Carmax Auto Finance is something new.Managers never there or were always missing leave whenever they wanted to.The pay wasn’t that good definitely not worth the stress.
Pros
Carmax should work on their active listening skills. Stand behind your open door policy. Retrain your management team every yearm some need every six months.
While providing a customers needs and giving a stellar experience is extremely rewarding, management's interactions and lack of commitment to quality and integrity can leave the sales team with much to overcome. The hardest part of the job is overcoming objections to quality standards which are constantly not met by the Carmax team. Pointing these things out is not met with appreciation. They would rather ignore all issues and let the customer suffer the consequences. The best part of the job is the reward you get from finding the right vehicle to meet the customers needs and being able to get them in the vehicle and have them love the entire experience.
Pros
401 K, Stock investment program, Health Care, BBQ's
Cons
No breaks, long days, Customer service 24/7, unethical people with no accountability.
Carmax was probably one of the best dealerships to work at IF you worked behind the scenes-the mechanics, inventory, and service writers all seemed pretty happy and generally stuck around. For sales consultants, the business office, and even the buyers office to some extent however, it was high turnover and often high stress. And despite this common struggle with these departments, the dynamics between the buyers/sales/business office was often strained, and each office was often very resistant to providing any extra help to one another.

Work life balance was very difficult to come by. While W/L balance was preached by the sales (micro) managers, you'd regularly get the call from those same sales managers giving you the choice of either coming in on your day off for what was an assuredly hour or more ordeal, or splitting your hard earned commission in half with another consultant because a car or customer showed up unexpectedly. As a result most if not all consultants were working 10,20, 30 hours of overtime every week. There was also a conflict of interest at times, where a customer would have been perfectly fine coming in when a consultant is scheduled, but a manager would take the initiative and schedule a showing with buyers on your day off because they were trying to hit the sales goal and bonus for that day, which is ridiculous.

Now that all sounds bad, but after it all I can still genuinely say that I'm glad I worked at Carmax- the training and coaching was (usually) really helpful, and what I learned on the job has also proved
 - more...
Pros
Good training, generally supportive management, they will promote you (for better or worse) from within if you can sell.
Cons
Work life balance almost impossible, pay was mediocre, micromanagement, poor inter-departmental relationships.
Great job to work for and great management team. Pay was pretty good, amazing team to work with. I enjoyed the experience I gained there and all the training they provided.
As a sales consultant your pay is commission, if a car isn’t being sold you won’t make any money. They’ll train (paid) you if you don’t have experience. Flexible shifts. Mandatory Saturdays.
Pros
Very chill
Cons
Commission
Decent place to start, if you want to start in the Car business. The company doesn’t do sleazy things like most dealers are know for. Hours can be crazy.
Pros
Cars, Customers, Money
Cons
Customers, Returned commissions
I'm currently working in Inventory area. It is a good job to have and they treat everyone fairly. I do wish they paid us a lot more because we help just about every department in the store. It is hard work and we deserve fair pay.
Pros
good lunch times, easy going environment
Cons
need better pay, management could be better
I've learned a lot of valuable skills at this job, and there's a lot of opportunity to work overtime and a lot of great benefits right when you get hired. but i feel its too hard to move up in the detail line.
Pros
Vaction/sick time, hour long lunch breaks, and two 15 minute breaks
Cons
Too hard to advance in positions and somewhat bad management
Due to COVID-19, I feel like our store doesn’t have enough experience support to help our store succeed in our pursuits. Also do not get paid enough for all that we do.
I have been in sales for almost 20 years. When I started working for Carmax they made me think this company was the best one out there. After about a year it became clear that was not the case. This company for the most part does not want to hire people that has experience in car sales. They would rather hire someone that can not compare them with a traditional dealership. That way the employee does not know they are being taken advantage of. Carmax is just smoke screens and mirrors. All this company cares about if making the share holders happy. They will do that at the expense of putting the employee's health at risk. They will look for loop holes for everything to do that. It's all about the money. At Carmax you are just a number, nothing more. Carmax has open their own call center and funneled all calls there. They have made it so that the salesperson will only get half of the already low commission. They tell you that most if not all the work will be done by the call center and you will not have too much to do. That why it's split and the company keeps half of your commission and half the unit. Thats a total lie! the call center will do nothing more than take the call and log the customer to rob the sales person of half their Commission. When the customer comes in the salesperson has to do all the work and only get half. Again smoke screens and mirrors!!!! This company is moving towards all sales people to be a low hourly pay so they can keep even more money for the company. It will be like working for a large retail store very soon. Not a place for seasoned professionals - more...
Pros
Cons
Your wasting your time
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarMax. Our community is ready to answer.
1.2K
1.1K
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight