CarMax Employee Reviews

Found 2,533 reviews matching the search See all 2,563 reviews
Soul Crushing Job with Incompetent Managers
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 9, 2018
A typical day at work is trying to avoid getting deals taken from you by other consultants and managers. Having to ask incompetent managers to sign off on every little thing. Getting micromanaged by those same managers who have to ask YOU for help, because you know the policies and procedures better than they do. Workplace culture is awful. It's all about the company taking every little thing they can from you to line their pockets. Since CarMax started there has been ONE pay raise for Sales Consultants: $10/car. Meanwhile they make money hand over fist. The hardest part of the job is making it through every day without quitting.

Maybe all stores aren't like this, but mine certainly was.
Pros
Some of your coworkers are awesome, there's a feeling of everyone being in it together because everyone hates it.
Cons
Everything: hours, management, advancement opportunities, service department, customers, you name it.
Low pay, No advancement, No support
Business Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 29, 2018
Company has gone way down hill. It’s all about making budget. Pay is awful in the business office and there is no room for advancement. Not to mention the horrible hours and rude customers...avoid this job. It’s not worth it. You won’t be able to afford to live on this job alone and having a second job is impossible with this schedule. Turn over is high for a reason but management refuses to recognize this. Managem act like sheep when corporate comes around and we all pretend that the company doesn’t suck for its employees. Truly disappointing to see how things have changed. Company will continue to down hill until employees are recognized for their value. Pay what we are worth and support us as employees!
Pros
Hour break, benefits
Cons
Rude customers, bad hours, below poverty pay
A Company that feels like a Community
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 12, 2019
As a whole working for Carmax was a wonderful job. I felt at home with my coworkers and genuinely appreciated by management. The company does a lot for moral with events like Holiday parties and monthly birthdays, as well as charity work that makes you feel like you are not only working to better your situation but also your community. On the other side of things, like any other sales job, work-life balance is off because you are paid on sales, not salary. You need to be self-motivated to work on the sales side or you just will not make any money. Another issue is that if you want to move into management, you are going to have to be willing to relocate.
Pros
autonomy, growth, community
Cons
work-life balance, must move for upper mobility
The Walmart of the Used Car Industry
Senior Sales Associate/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJanuary 8, 2019
They recently reduced commissions and cut every sales associates income up to 30% and was very misleading about the new pay structure and its role out.

The Hardest part about the job was no longer trusting that Upper Level Management had your best interest in mind.

The Culture was Great, Now it is going through a lot of change and they are looking to pay as little as possible and take away earned benefits from those that were/are loyal to the company.

When you leave.. any Paid Vacation you accrued will be lost.. Even though there paperwork states otherwise.
Pros
The People are Great
Cons
Upper Level Management /Corporate Team
Good people! Bad business model
Tech (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 18, 2018
Everything is micromanaged to the point of frustration. There are guidlines and workbooks for every little thing (including on how to turn on a car). Management will walk around or just stand in the corner watching you but when you ask if they can help or if you ask a question they'll walk away or differ to somebody else. They don't know how to do the job becuase they either came from a different department or are an outside hire.

They'll cut hours with a days notice so you went from an expected 40 hour week to somewhere around 34 for the next few months! They promise higher pay if you get signed off in different sections but the paystubs show pocket change in your 'raise'.

If you need a first job, like cars, or don't mind working in the sun and you don't have a lot of bills carmax is for you!! If not, look literally anywhere else.
Pros
Every coworker is great cause they also hate the job.
Cons
The hours. The pay. The managers.
Terrible management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 21, 2018
Everyone that works at CarMax doesn't (aside from technicians) have any knowledge of cars at all. Sales people hook jump boxes up backwards just about every day blowing main fuses and destroying ECU's. Management is probably the worse in the service department. They hire managers from places like target to run their shop, then expect them to do "observances" on techs even though they have no idea what they're doing in the first place. You also have to tiptoe around peoples feelings here. this is a VERY liberal place to work, meaning you have to watch what you say at all times to not offend anyone. "benefits" are probably the worst I've ever seen in a place of employment. medical hardly pays for anything and its $180 a pay period for a single person. family is around $600.....which in most cases is your entire check. they don't give raises to positions, they do "cost of living" raises which is just a few cents. level 3 techs there make a little over $20/hr(in the PNW) which is SUPPOSED to be "competitive" to other shops......which is not true at all. average wage for a tech with no ase's but has experience is around $25-26/hr. overall i would not recommend carmax to anyone...
Pros
n/a
Cons
management, benefits, overall work environment.
The culture is changing as there is more pressure from competitors
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAOctober 3, 2018
When I started, CarMax was a very different company then when I left. We had fun and were genuinely interested in helping the customer. When I left, management was pushing for more productivity while compensation was being reduced. This was never a 9-5 job but I found more and more as time went on that managers and customers expect you to be available at all times and there really are no "off days." They tout a respect for work life balance but that, like a lot of their ideals, is only for top tier consultants. You will be micro managed while you watch the senior sales consultants do whatever they want as they cherry pick the customers they want to take. As much as they talk about integrity I have seen both managers and consultants look the other way to make a deal happen. There may be a great location out there to work at, but I feel as customers have more options available to them it is best to just avoid CarMax all together.
Good starter position.
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 2, 2018
A typical day included many duties from inventory, sales, and follow ups.

I was an entry level Customer Service Sales Rep. I learned a lot about selling used cars.

Management was great.

The culture was ok.

The hardest part of the job is work/life balance. Since it's a used car business, I only received one Saturday off every 4 weeks. It's hard to make time for family, friends, etc.

The most enjoyable part is hands on paid training.
Pros
Paid training, career advancement.
Cons
Working many Saturdays.
Overall, Not Bad
Parts Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 20, 2018
I have worked here for almost 4 years in various departments. As a whole, CarMax is a good company to work for. Decent pay, good benefits including PTO, Medical/Vision/Dental and 401K dollar for dollar up to 6%. As with any company, you have a few bad apples in management that can sour the entire work experience for you. And then you get some managers that truly care about you as an employee and as a human being. At any rate, if you were looking for a decent entry level job, this is a great starting point. If you can put up with the b.s., I'm sure it would be a decent place to eventually retire from. As someone who A. is being considered for management and B. has terrible managers, I have had enough of the b.s. Also, be prepared for no personal life as they do work long hours.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Medical/Dental/Vision, 401K match
Cons
management
Apply and Try
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 13, 2018
Not sure if my review could even be considered as I have been a contractor employee at CarMax for almost seven months now. The work culture is great! People are nice. I have learned the tasks fairly quickly and have proven myself to be an asset to my team; however, CarMax seems to pride themselves on hiring internally. I enjoy working for the company so much, that I tried applying to two positions and after two months of no response, I received the "we decided to go with other candidates email." Not sure if I'm just not qualified, but like every job, they will train you, so my suggestion is, just apply and try and hope for the best. They seem to get great benefits and perks!
High Stress Dehumanizing
Automotive Technician/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJanuary 7, 2019
Complete lack of management corporate is always looking for a reason to fire you before your 401k is vested so they don't have to pay. This company wants to control your personal life as well. it is very much like big brother out to destroy you as a humane being.
Mangement will thretan to fire you on a regular basis for no reason.
The carmax culture is that you as an employee are not to be trusted.
Pros
discounts on cars
Cons
short term employment
Fun work environment, but schedules do not promote good work-life balance.
Customer Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEDecember 3, 2018
Company culture, and individual store culture are good. Pay rate is competitive, and associates are acknowledged for their success, and developed in their opportunities. Only soft skills practiced here can translate to other jobs, and the schedule does not promote good work-life balance. Benefits are not great.
Pros
competitive pay, good culture
Cons
Poor schedule, poor benefits.
My time here
Lead Inventory Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2018
Where should I start? The Inventory position job itself isn't difficult. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the elements. If you work at a production store you have an inventory building but if you work at a satellite store then you either work on the service drive or work underneath a canopy. Being promoted to management can be easy and quick depending on the manager otherwise it will be a challenge. Inventory Department is looked as the bottom of the food chain. Sure some associates do appreciate your hard work but most don't and the pay is reflective on that. Also turnover rate is very high due to being underpaid. I think if you can become a management then a career at Carmax is definitely worth it. Otherwise if you are looking for a job that is very flexible with hours while attending school then you will be content.
Pros
benefits. flexible scheduling, work/life balance
Cons
pay, corporate management
Great Company Finally Changing With The Times
Floor and Virtual Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 2, 2019
CarMax is a great place to work! The W/L balance seems tough at first but gets better as you get your feet under you. Management is great, they are careful to hire people people into upper positions. They are finally updating their software and purchase options to match their progressive sales style that is STILL refreshing after 25 years in business. Easy place to work, as they give you every reason to be honest with the customer and keep all policies and procedures simple for everyone. Advancement is difficult but job security is all but guaranteed; it is difficult to be fired for performance.
Pros
Management, Honesty, Product
Cons
W/L Balance can feel overwhelming, very much retail sales
After selling cars at traditional dealerships, CarMax made it very easy. Believed in their mission statement and was definitely a CarMax promoter.
Presidents Club Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORJuly 30, 2018
A typical day at CarMax involved helping customers find a vehicle. I learned how to sell cars the CarMax way. Very simple and seamless process where we sold exceptional used cars.

Management as well as other employees willing to help at anytime.

Work place culture was positive and provided a team like atmosphere.

Most enjoyable part of the job was giving 110% to my store and helping the customers find the perfect vehicle. Even an added bonus to get a hug from them and a referral later on.

The hardest part of my job were the hours away from my family. Some days were long and with added commute time didn't make the salary balance it out.
Pros
Car shopping was made very simple and hassle free.
Cons
Time it took to become a Sales Manager and pay versus hours worked.
Good job for students but no room for advancement
Business Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COJanuary 12, 2019
The people I worked with were awesome, but that’s pretty much where the awesomeness ended. CarMax severely underpays their Business Office Associates in relation to all the tasks they are required to complete and the attention to detail they are required to give. Associates are also not granted sick time when they start and the “points system” is extremely hard to work with when the unexpected happens. This is a good job while in college as they offer tuition assistance, but don’t plan on any advancement opportunities. I was also told the latest I’d be in the office was 9:30pm and I’d get a Saturday off every 4-6 weeks, we are often in the office until after 10pm and you only get a weekend off if you request it.
Pros
Long lunch hours
Cons
Schedule consistently, pay, work life balance
Management Could Be Better, But Great Company Overall
Inventory / Reconditioning Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 3, 2018
There will be times where you love working at CarMax.
There will be times where you hate working at CarMax.
This is the anti dealership dealership.
You'll find great relationships and support from your coworkers.
The environment is very welcoming.

Dealing with management will be the hardest part of this job.
Your interactions with them are barely personal and almost strictly numbers based.
The universal management style is write up first and teach second if you're lucky.
Scheduling won't be convenient, even for part time associates.
Getting time off is a hassle and a half.

If you're looking to get your foot in the door as a car salesman, or any other job in the automotive industry, I would say it's worth it.
Pros
Culture, Incentives
Cons
Management, Commission
Work-Life balance
Part-time Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 17, 2019
CARMAX. A great company which strives for excellence in all they do and all they provide for their employees. A car company was the last place I ever thought I would want to work at. Management changed my mind, and my experience was outstanding.

You will work hard, and yet, have fun at work. You will learn more than you knew there was to know about the industry. You have the opportunity to achieve what ever your goals may be, and there is plenty of room to try different areas.

You are treated as an individual; it's not group think. They seek to draw out the best in your strengths and stretch you and challenge you to grow.
Pros
Really great people to work with!
Cons
Fast-paced ~ if you like a slow, steady, day... this is not that!
It's Retail
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 12, 2018
As an associate Carmax is a GREAT company to work for. They give you lots of tools and direction for you to know what and how to do what is needed for your job. As you get into management the compensation can improve but is not consistent and the requirements become higher as it should. The support and security you felt as an associate decreases though. Overall not a bad company to work for but it is retail and you are expected to work retail hours which makes it difficult at times to find a good work life balance.
Changes do not always have to be bad.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2018
Not the company it was before. Changes at the top have inevitably had a trickle down effect. Used to be an amazing place to work that stood above the rest. Now its still a good place to work, but it falls in line with the rest of the corporate world.
Pros
Co-Workers, Discount program, ability to move between departments, 401k matching
Cons
Change in culture, Work life balance, expensive insurance programs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarMax. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.2Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss