CarMax logo
CarMax

CarMax Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Found 4,229 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,267 reviews

Great culture and opportunities to grow.

Featured review

CarMax selected this as a representative review
This company has a great culture, they help a lot of people and always do things for the community. Compared to other dealerships the pay is competitive, and you can grow within the company by learning new things every day, they have the training and tools to help you along the way.

Great culture

Room for advancement past a junior level manager is limited. They tend to bring in outside hires instead of promoting within at the senior level. You will work nights and weekends

Pros

Great culture, active in the community, great pay

Cons

Advancement and growth

Grew a lot even with poor management

I learned a lot at this job and grew a ton, regardless of the management being so poor. I felt as if they just gave up on me even though I was a hard worker.

Pretty decent place to work

Very fast-paced and demanding job, but it usually depends on if you work at a busier, bigger location. The training was good and they provided a lot of practice before you handled customers by yourself. You will be required to learn A LOT of stuff in this position and need to be confident when going through paperwork with customers so be ready to learn. The pay is not that good and the job can be exhausting at times dealing with so many customers with different personalities. The best part about working here is getting to learn so much about the car buying and selling process. You'll be a pro on all things cars and won't really have to worry about getting hustled when you go looking to buy a car for yourself.

Pros

Diverse, free food on certain occasions, employee discount

Cons

Low pay, ridiculous amount of inbound calls

Overall a great company to work for

I loved working at Carmax , You feel like a family and everyone is great to work with. The pay is fair , and the benefits are okay. The only bad thing is working outside in all conditions, but thats apart of the job description .

Pros

Pay, benefits, work environment

Cons

Very hot during summer

Good place to work only sucks in the heat

Good place to work only sucks in the heat. Everyone is helpful and it is a good place to start or if still in school. Everyone is very friendly and has your best interest in mind

Mixed emotions

Ehhhh It was okay to start , after time management seemed to get run thin , i barely speak to my manager commission is hard to understand and hourly rate should be increased

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Pay

Overall a decent job, good work environment, pay could be better.

This was an overall “okay” job. The tasks they have you doing in inventory are repetitive, sometimes gross and exhausting, “somebody has to do it” type of jobs. It can be fun sometimes since you get to drive a bunch of different cars but the pay and benefits are not worth the constant exposure to the elements since you would be working outside all days of the year. Working here in the winter was miserably cold and wet. Working during the summer you’re constantly sunburned and nearly passing out from heat exhaustion. It would be a good part time job or a temporary job but I would not recommend staying in inventory for long if you do decide to work at carmax.

Pros

Bonuses, health insurance, work environment, hour long breaks

Cons

Mandatory overtime, understaffed, disorganized

Poor Management

Management is there to only look out for themselves and make budget daily to get their bonuses. Forced overtime and denied vacation and personal time off when needed.

Pros

Great customers

Cons

Great company, less than great pay

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working with CarMax but for the efforts of the business office, the pay should be higher. There is an intense amount of work that goes through us but we are paid barely above minimum wage. I thought the pay was great prior to starting but it turned out to be a lot more responsibility than what they're paying us for. Overall, though, CarMax is an exceptional workplace and everyone is incredibly uplifting and considerate. If you're having a bad day they will understand and try to help you get through the day and check on you if you are out sick or if you are late (they will call and ask if you are okay instead of asking where you are)

Pros

Discounts, hour lunch break (full time and part time!), great coworkers and company

Cons

Low pay, lots of down time (can be a pro)

Jobs at CarMax

See more jobs

very dull and monotonous work

You basically do the same thing over and over again each day, especially if you get stuck in Diag. There is also a problematic lead tech. Very petty, vindictive, and has the emotional maturity of a 14 year old.This a job of last resort. Carmax has a mantra (“Carmax is great place to work”). The opposite is the actual truth.

Pros

Cons

Not designed for your long-term success

Pays well. Not all they make it out to be.

I was hired as a Mechanical Associate 3 and made it to Mechanical Associate 5 very very quickly. This was during the time of major production changes on the horizon. CarMax pays very very well. Very well. You will work less hard and be paid very well hourly for it. Although, the work life balance isn't there. And the constant pep rallies and being treated as children is atrocious.

Pros

Pay. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Lack of work life balance. Pep rallies. Treated like children.

Productive work with room to advance.

Work in the transportation department and it is a new department within the company. There is a lot of room for growth with very clear paths to follow in order to advance. However because the department is still growing it does take a little time for the next step to open up.

Pros

Growth

Cons

Busy

Work hard but get paid peanuts

Good company to start learning how to sell cars if you don't mind getting punked for commissions. Around 300 per car sold if lead hasn't came from call center otherwise its 150

Pros

Decent coworkers

Cons

Low pay

Promotions available quickly

As long as you put in the work in Inventory, you can get promoted quickly. Working there 8 months, and I've already been promoted twice. There's a great work environment and the managers truly help you get as far as you want to go. The only bad thing for some people is the amount of overtime January-July.

Pros

Career improvements & good work environment

Cons

Too much overtime

Great until they slashed all commission by 50%

You sell a lot of cars. You used to make about 300-350 per car "if" you sell the extended warranty. If you don't its about 160 per car which is laughable. Now they slashed all commissions by 50%. So lets do the simple math. If you go 20 for 20 meaning hitting all the extended warranties that is 20x160=3,200 bucks. UMMMMM if you sell 20 cars you should make at least 6 grand. Now if you don't hit all the extended warranties that number of 3,200 goes way down. Yeah no thanks, I used to work there when the commissions were different and I made a ton of cash... Not so much now.Its a great job for a young kid, beware of the tattle tail environment of employee's. I have never had sooo many complaints from staff ever its like a daycare. I was the top 3 seller every month, I just couldn't take the greed of slashing commissions in half.

Pros

easy, customers come to buy, you sell a lot of cars, generally cool people to work with

Cons

80 per car if you sell the extended warranty it goes to 160. Laughable to make selling a car.

Cool

Cool work place, I have no complaints except the temperature of you work inside the actual call center. Working from home gets a bit much, I would prefer to work in office

Great company. No work life balance

As a customer experience consultant you have no flexibility with your schedule. The job is stressful because it is customer service and sales combined. Lots of unreasonable goals to meet. Great company otherwise.

Pros

Benefits and company culture

Cons

Schedule and stress level

Mediocre

Worked in Inventory. Management was poor and hired poor workers putting the load on the few good people there. Expected to do way more than you were paid for. Management only cares about numbers and nothing else. Make no effort to help associates grow and move into higher positions. Be a lazy kiss up and you will have no problem here.

Pros

Cool cars

Cons

Everything in the inventory department

Decent pay

Decent pay and benefits, work and life balance ok. 401k. Management ok. No room for growth. Good health insurance and time off. High turnover rate. Overall decent job

Great company

Awesome training, awesome tools, solid managers, growth opportunities. I am grateful for my 17 years with CarMax. I learned so much. CarMax changed my life.

Pros

Every single tool needed to do your job.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarMax. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.3K
1.2K

Women's ratings

4.2Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare CarMax with

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?