CarMax

3.4Pay & Benefits

Found 348 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,905 reviews
carsaleconsultantcommissionassociatevehicledealershipsell

Good to Great Culture

Good to great culture. Plenty of leads. Compensation not consummate with workload and revenues generated for the company. Should be more competitive in that regard.

Pros

Work environment

Cons

Conpensation

Great Environment, Poor Commission Pay

$20 an hour for training, then you go commission. $160 per unit, $100 for maxcare, $25 for gap insurance. If somebody does anything online, even call for directions, you lose half of your commission to the company. This is 95% of deals. Generally, you will get $80-130 per car you sell, which takes 3-4 hours, however you have no guarantee you’ll constantly sell.

CarMax insights

Based on 3,372 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Love the customers!

Male dominated and too much favoritism given to male workers- high rate of female consultant turnover- think Mad Men-All of the top management at this location are men- most women work in the business office - although there are some that work in the service and inventory area- even fewer as consultants

Pros

Great benefits and they do not micromanage you

Cons

Either you are in or you're out-

Low Pay

The commission structure was lackluster, to say the least. You can put in hours of work with a single customer just to have your commission cut in half. The call center reps tend to mess up many customers' orders, making your job as a sales consultant much more difficult. CarMax also began to take away avenues for additional commission. Online appraisals erase the opportunity to make a commission off of an appraisal. Overall, the people I met were great and the experience I acquired, but the potential make a decent living is was not there.

Decent work, CEC ruined it

Great opportunity to make easy money, CEC basically ruined everything though with huge splits. It was a great place to work as I've heard but the money just isn't there anymore for a full-time position.

Don’t

Not worth it. Pay is very low unless you’ve been there for many years and worked up their system. Process is very slow and makes selling more than 1-2 cars a shift impossible unless you work the entire day that CarMax is open.

Do not recommend

I worked for CarMax for nearly 4 years. My time there was split pretty evenly between working in Sales and working in Purchasing. I held positions as a Sales Consultant, Appraisal Specialist, and Vehicle Condition Assessor. As such I can speak knowledably about the customer facing and non customer facing sides of the business. I hope that this review is of some help to prospective and current employees down the road.In terms of pros for being an employee I would say the benefits are the biggest. CarMax does a 6% 401k match after 90 days of employment. After a year as an employee your eligible for the employee stock purchase plan where you can buy company stock at a 15% discount. The medical, vision and dental insurance are all decent as well. They offer multiple medical providers to choose from including Kaiser for California employees. They also offer tuition assistance up to $5250 a year for full-time employees if your interested in going to school. I would also add as pro that it was by far the most diverse workplace I've ever worked at. CarMax is very open to people of different professional backgrounds, races, religions, gender identities, etc.In terms of cons I would say the biggest are pay, career advancement, training, and work life balance. Carmax's business model is based around buying and selling large volumes of vehicles. They make much less than a traditional dealer does per vehicle (generally around $2k). But they make up for this with staggering amounts of volume. This means that as a Sales Consultant you will be working with far more customers on average -

Pros

401k, tuition assistance

Cons

Overwork, low pay, high employee turnover

Selling Cars for Peanuts

You help people browse and look at cars. Set them up for a test drive and start financing if they are interested. Hopefully, they purchase the car and selling the warranty IS A MUST. Otherwise your pay will be very low! I sold alot of cars and got no commission.... just the hourly wage. So be careful...Some customers will be great to work with and others not so much. Some people will not have their ID/DL on them, no car insurance, they won't have information used to submit credit applications, people who are not buying but also wasting your time. So get ready for that.They hire young college kids because they are the only ones that do not understand how low the pay is. If you are an adult, you will be insulted by the pay compared to the amount of work you are doing.Management was not motivational at all. They sit at their desks for most of the day. They are helpful if you ask for it, but they will forget that you exist if you don't talk to them- they won't talk to you. They did not tell me where I needed to improve after my first month and I had to ask them.... like what's your job?!?My coworkers were the best part, but they could not even keep me working there. They were helpful and they kept me motivated. Literally, the only reason why I made it for a few months when I was there.Do the interview and see the pay structure and see if you are ok with how low it is. Very high turnover rate and training is done by another sales consultant... best believe they are more focused on their check rather than your learning!My personal opinion... find another sales gig! You -

Its a dealership.

I was very unhappy working for CarMax. They are very shady even though they proclaim to be upstanding. They don't pay commissions fairly. You work your butt off for very little pay. I was supposed to be making $20.00 an hour minimum with commissions. Instead my first paycheck would have averaged out at 16.56 an hour.

Fun work place with great people, but pay sturucture isn't the ebst

Working as a sales consultant at car max is fairly easy, and like most sales jobs the time you put in is relative to your pay, i have to come in on my days off often and despite being part-time regularly cross 40 hours s a week for minimal compensation

Great people poor pay

Imagine selling a $100,000 car and getting paid $40 for 3+ hours of your time. Yes, that is $40. Well it happens at Carmax. That is the least you can be paid (the most is around $250) for a sale. Co workers are great and management is friendly but the sales consultants are among the lowest paid people in the building.

Pros

Great People

Cons

Poor Pay

Over worked and under paid with no UNION

If you don't mind doing 3 jobs for the price of 1 this is the career for you. Sales Consultants are treated the worse because they're not on salary but are forced to do jobs in other departments. They sometimes have to sell, clean cars, and do paperwork for deals that they're selling and sometimes spend hours with a customer and will only make $50 for a entire day of work.

Pros

Fun At First

Cons

Doing 3 jobs for 1 salary

Great Company to start in the auto industry

Great training and great to get your foot into the door in this industry. Pay is well below average dealership averages but they make up for in benefits and hours.

Good company, not what it used to be

Carmax is a great concept and a wonderful place for the actual customer. You never feel that CarMax is taking advantage of any customer there. However, you will be subject to an industry-low for pay. The fact that they make you take splits with the company itself is a wild idea. you will not be compensated fairly for what the multi-billion-dollar company makes. No benefits if you are part-time. Company discount is a bit of a joke on most things these days. Definitely not what it used to be. Carmax is for the consumer not for the worker.

Pros

Coworkers, straight forward

Cons

Pay, management

Great great

I loved working for this company I loved working for this company. Benefits were great people were great the pay was great. There was environment and I team spirit

Great Place, Terrible Compensation for Floor Sales Associates

Everything about CarMax is perfect, aside from one thing: Sales Associates are severely underpaid. You get a flat rate per car when sold, however, you only get your full commission if a person walks in without looking online first. If someone does anything online (ie: holds a car and makes an appointment to see it the next day), your commission is halved. It doesn't matter if you spend 4 hours with them, which can happen if there are a lot of stipulations (a common thing for our store). You still only get half the commissions. The current market has changed. People want to use online services. I absolutely don't blame them as during this car shortage, cars are FLYING off the lot. You can't walk in and be picky and find the perfect car right now. So, I recommend searching online, holding online, or transferring online, and then letting me know so I can follow up on the process. I know my commission is halved, but what else can I do? We no longer are an economy that can support commission only Sales, in my opinion.

Pros

Managers rock, great benefits, feels like home

Cons

Commission Splits

Fun workplace with great people but highly unpredictable hours and low pay

The people at Carmax is great and they are one of the reasons you would want to stay. However they halved pay by introducing a call center and staff outside of sales are overwhelmed with the volume of customers so you’ll have to justify long waits to angry people for low compensation. You will also frequently have to stay an hour + after your shift unless you time things just right.

Pros

Great people, good middle management

Cons

Understaffed, low pay, stressful conditions

A company that is lowering sales consultants pay is someone clicks anything online

I have just left this company. They just changed the dynamic of pay. They pay "commission" but if the customer clicks anything online you lose half. They call it a "remote lead" and this means even if a customer calls the store and says "I would like to come in and look at cars" no further info but they make an "appointment" you have to find a car, run financing, make sales pitches, offer max care and you earn half of your pay. Even though it still takes hours of your day. Then on top of this if for some reason the customer leaves and comes back when you are not there to finish the sale you get a quarter pay as it will be a "remote lead" and a Split sale with another Sales Consultant.This is the only Car Dealership where you can sell a car and make 40 dollars. Some deals take multiple days you make less then 5 dollars an hour on these sales. They took zero input from the Sales Consultants about this change. And at the same time they made this change the storegave all other departments a Pay Raise and made a bid deal about telling everyone. This company talks a lot about "family" but at the end of the day its still a large company that only cares about making as much money as possible.

Pros

schedule, environment

Cons

Pay for sales consultants, Employee input, communication

Great company to work for

Fantastic company that will support you and ensure that you continue to get better. Great management. It’s the best part time job out there hour for hour and a great full time job. Been through Covid and got through it all.

Pros

Lunch on Saturdays sometimes. Great management Good benefits

Cons

Constantly changing schedule

Lack of professional training or feedback from mgmt. Most managers have limited sales exp.

Low quality training is self placed with mentors and no true training regarding auto sales. Most store management has limited experience and skills to manage across the workforce.

Pros

Schedule flexibility

Cons

The management team and compensation program.

Just like another job but nothing like working in a regular dealership

Compensation is really bad base on your commission is half every time that you received a customer that did something online. Plus cars sometimes are garbage vustomer can returned in less than 7 days your commission goes away. Benefits are good but that’s it

Benefits

Cons

Compensation and work life balance