Play YouTube video button

CarMax Employee Reviews

Found 2,832 reviews matching the search See all 2,864 reviews
Good place to grow and work
full-time salesman (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 25, 2019
I enjoy selling cars and working with people. I love the interest management showed in me and the training provided. I think the benefits are good, but the weekend hours can be very demanding because that is their busiest time.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
weekend hours
Solid company to work for.
Senior Specialist/Asst Manager, Sales (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJune 25, 2019
Good place to work. Management can be shaky but communication is key. Schedules a printed a month in advance. regular performance meetings. assistance with development.
Excellent company
Ra2 (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 25, 2019
Excellent company many benefits. I would recommend this place to anyone. It's a very fun place to work and plenty of space to grow . You have nothing to lose.
Like most other companies the job can be great or terrible depending on who your managers are.
Reconditioning Associate 4 (Former Employee) –  Warrensville Heights, OH 44128June 25, 2019
Jobs like this are tough. Management teams switch every couple of years & the whole atmosphere changes. You could have a good manager for your department or a bad one. They could look out for your development or stunt your growth. Literally it's all up to them & how they feel, not how hard you work. The current managers there in the operations department as of mid 2019 are good, but it's been bad ones there before. If you do apply to a place like this keep your head down & do your job no matter what anyone else is doing because with the right management team you can go far & they will notice your hard work. It can turn into a real career. If you don't mind traveling or relocating you have the chance to make some big money with this company.
Company going downhill
Auto Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 25, 2019
Worked as an automotive technician here for almost 2 years. I watched as this increasingly became a terrible place to work. Majority of management has no clue how to run a business. Would continually hear management claim to hold employees accountable, yet do nothing when other employees poor work ethic and inability to clean up after themselves negatively impacted my output. Was finally terminated after I retrieved my property that had been stolen by another employee, other employee had no action taken against them.
Fun work place but lonely
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJune 24, 2019
While working there it was good pay but I was always in the car but that was the point of the job I don’t really like it after awhile but I did move so that
Great Place to start
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 24, 2019
An awesome training program but the life balanace and work balance is way off. I would not recommend this company to anyone thou. If a customer has a complaint about you it does not matter what you do or say there is no fighting it.
Cherry Picking to much
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 23, 2019
Managers do not in force rule of cherry picking they look the other way.Some associates have very low morals.They will steal your client and later say l did not it was your customer. Bull
Cons
The company values and approach to selling cars was excellent but it depends on who your direct sales manager is which determines your experience.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  AlbuquerqueJune 23, 2019
My first 9 months were actually fun and my sales were good, then I got a new sales manager and everything went sour to the point I did not like going to work.
Great company with great people
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 21, 2019
Carmax hires the best people and is committed to associate development to serve the customer and grow the company. I would recommend working at Carmax to anyone!
CarMax: Great place to buy a used vehicle - HORRIBLE place to work!!
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJune 21, 2019
I can say that, as a very well-seasoned and successful salesperson, that Carmax provides excellent training and a very thoroughly tested and refined process for the discovery, progression and closing aspects of a customer interaction, throughout the sales process.

Unfortunately, where they fall on their face is just about everywhere else! To be fair, I am referring specifically to Naples and SWFL stores, so things may be a little different in other locations, due, in large part, to the very seasonal nature of our market.
Having said that, I firmly believe that Carmax's approach to "Commission-Only" compensation is categorically anemic, unfair, underwhelming, and is misrepresented at the very interview, when hired. It will take a long time (years) to earn a decent salary and not have to work every day -- all day! This compensation is structure is also completely and utterly at odds with it's highly touted "culture of integrity" that it promotes with all of it's associates, especially those in sales. This is because it foments the frustrations and motivations-by-desperation of an otherwise successful salesperson (earning commision-only) having to depend on all of the other apathetic departments, staffed by lackluster associates. Moreover, these associates, who are supposed to move the product (a used car) though the process and out the door, have absolutely no sense of urgency or performance initiative, other than just to get through the day and earn their own minimal ($8- $14) hourly wages.

In short, no one employed by Carmax, managers included, is earning
  more... enough to be satisfied. This is absolutely palpable and it equates to many hard-fought deals walking out the door and going elsewhere due to the inadequacies and lack of initiative or follow-through, with nothing to show for it other than time not-well-spent.

That means that there are far too many 11-hour days where you have earned ZERO dollars -- sometimes several in a row. Thusly, Carmax was hands-down, THE LEAST rewarding and MOST frustrating job that I have ever had in my life. I worked there during the slow summer months and so you end up working 7 days a week/ 8 - 11 hours a day, just to keep your deals from being split with another consultant, or worse, getting "middled-out". Without getting into specifics, the amount of work that one has to do to complete a sale vs. the amount of compensation for each is ridiculous. It is terrible living, from the standpoint or work/life balance and on top of that, you have 2 to 4 managers (or more, when you include the other dept's) examining and criticizing every word and action that you do -- ALL day long -- EVERY day! This job is probably terrific for a retired or semi-retired older person, who doesn't depend on the money, but just likes to get out of the house and interact with people and truly enjoys the prospect of honestly "helping customers on their journey" through a relatively solid and ethical sales process, as compared to the typical used car market. Selling used cars isn't easy and admittedly Carmax does it decidedly different, while also doing a pretty good job at setting high standards (while not always meeting them) and treating their customers with respect. Inshort, Carmax is a great place to buy a car -- but they are frustratingly cheap with both their compensation plan and their complete inability to deviate from their strict corporate policies to get a deal done (even when things get screwed up)

Perhaps, if they just paid their sales consultants even a small stipend for every day that they worked (say enough to, at least, pay for the fuel it takes to get to & from the store), than it might be enough to get a person through 3-hrs of standing On-Point, watching an empty parking lot, until someone comes in for a free appraisal, which Carmax will lowball, sending you back to the end of a long line of other consultants waiting for a bite of the rare apple. I would not recommend this job to anyone who wants to be able to do anything other than work all the time and earn enough to "supplement: some other form of income like a pension, trust-fund, or other form of base annuity. So, at the initial interview, when you're told that "if you're any good", you should be able to make $45 or $50-grand or more (as was I)... Do NOT believe it, as it's totally NOT true and the manager telling you this knows it. FACT: Very good, very professional and skilled consultants, who had been there for 3 years or more, and just got into the "Presidents Club" level, were not breaking the $48-Grand mark! That is a fact and it's PATHETIC!

Oh, and just for the record, I was consistently either in, or close to, the Top-5 (out of some 16 - 20) consultants every month, from my 3rd month until the time I left and honestly, I did not bring home two paychecks in a row that had a comma in the number. That's really the main reason why this job is NOT for anyone who needs to earn what they're really worth at an otherwise intense and demanding sales job.
Pros
Good Sales-Training, Product and Process. Customers are generally happy by the end.
Cons
Horrible compensation and work/life balance. WAY too much micro-management. A Corporate Minefield
You get what you put in
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJune 20, 2019
This job is great for someone with unlimited time on their hands. Hourly OR commission whichever is higher. Poor work-life balance managers, and out only for themselves and their bonuses. Management would rather you split a deal than get the full commission if it’s your day off or can’t make it in so they get a unit for the store. Definitely play favorites, if you sell cars you can do whatever you want. Managers definitely play favorites and think selling cars is the easiest job in the world, which it can be but that’s not always the case. If you’re expecting a 40 per week job then this is definitely not for you. You’re schedule revolves around the customers, so if you’re off at 6 doesn’t mean you’re going home at 6. This is definitely a sales job and a grind, you can make money if you’re willing to work 50-plus hours per week.
Great training program
Salesperson, Financial advisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 20, 2019
CarMax is a great place to work. We are encouraged to help one another, and no question is unanswered . The training is expensive . As a Sale Consultant, you spend 30 days shadowing a mentor.You are taught from the very beginning that CarMax does not tolerate bullying, or any kind of profiling .
Productive and great environment to work in
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 19, 2019
The culture within the company is very welcoming. There will be days that are much harder than others, but there is always someone to assist you when you're stuck.
Much responsibility and stress, average in recognition
Supply Lead (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 19, 2019
In a leadership position at Carmax, there is a huge demand for setting the example to fellow associates. You are definitely held to a high standard of performance. The daily responsibilities between your daily job and associate development are demanding and sometimes not possible to meet expectations. You do learn alot about developing associates and growing your own skill base.
Awesome comany
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 19, 2019
The pay is terrible. Other than that management was fantastic, if they have to talk to you about sales they will ask what can they do to help you reach the goals.
Great place to work with a good environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJune 19, 2019
There is definitely potential to make money here. Typical day at work involves greeting customers, answering phones and leads, meanwhile test driving cars with customers and running credit applications. Best part of the job is the people you get to work with but the micromanaging can get frustrating at times. The hardest part of working there is
Pros
Occasional free lunches, volunteer opportunities.
Cons
Micromanaging, merchandising.
Fun associates, poor management
Business Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 19, 2019
I loved my job at carmax as long as you work with certain managers. If you work with the wrong ones, get ready for a long night. Sales managers don’t follow policy so associates are stuck signing until the last customer leaves which could be as late as midnight.
The pay is ok, but not equivalent to the amount of work done on a daily basis. Poor work-life balance because you can give your manager your availability but they never listen to it and you’ll constant get called on days off.
Of course these complaints are the same as any place you’ll work. I do really enjoy the atmosphere carmax has though. Over all, it’s a decent place to work with it’s downsides.
Pros
Free lunches, discounts, great environment
Cons
Pay, workload, poor work-life balance
Good place to work. People are supportive of each other
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKJune 19, 2019
Strong corporate structure with good hard working people. Great place to work and grow! Respected business model. Very good product to sell with great service and extended warranty options.
Pros
Good reputation and respected business model
Cons
Retail hours and commission only sales position
Good job
Business Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJune 18, 2019
Very good place to work at overall. Everyone works as a team you're constantly busy therefore, you won't feel as if everyday Is the same. Only thing that can possibly be improved is the salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarMax. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at CarMax.

Powered by Comparably