Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Exciting place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 3, 2018
Culture is very progressive. Management is very fair, dynamics and responsible. Training was adequate and expectations are reasonable. Atmosphere is light and fun but work is serious and important. The balance between work and life is appropriate. I enjoyed working here.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
part-time postiion
Work Life Balance at its Best!
HCM Specialist, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2018
Working for Carnegie Mellon allows an individual the opportunity for an excellent work/life balance as well as fantastic, unparalleled benefits.

Furthermore, you get to be a part of an exciting, innovative institution, regardless of your position within the scope of the university.
No comment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 6, 2018
Just go in and do your work then you'll be ok. It's more of a slower pace of work if you're used to being busy. If that's what you're interested in, then this is the place for you.
Learning by working
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 24, 2018
I learned new technology in Carnegie Mellon University through working. New technology was tested and applied and finally commercialized. It is really exciting environment.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Small pay
OK but not great
Assistant Manager, Technology Enhanced Facilities (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
The computing service department is a crazy place to work for. THe level of institutional dysfunction is high. There is a large group of upper management people that are in damage control mode at all times because of the poor planning and under-staffing
Great Life and Work Balance
Catering & Banquet sous chef (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
The hours are great. it is easy to balance work and life. the benefits are good. after 1 year you get paid vacation. It is under union contract but the contracts for the company expire every 5 years. they seem to jump to new companies every 5 years. if you aren't union you are not guaranteed job security under the new management.
Excellent Employer
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Destin, FLJune 2, 2018
The Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University is an excellent place to work. Challenges abound and meaningful work. Superb work - life balance and the benefits are second to none
Racist and unorganized
Cashier/Food Services (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2018
Working there was the worst and they can’t communicate at all. They are biased and racist. I was getting told what to do but someone who was not my boss. I literally had to argue with him about going home.
Fascinating Place to Work
Program Manager, Ben Franklin Program (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2018
I worked in a variety of departments at the university. Working with the top minds in their fields is exhilarating and challenging, as well as rewarding.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement; great environment
Cons
Little room for advancement
Generally Terrible Management/Leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2018
No sense of teamwork. Too few resources to manage programs and nearly no sustained commitment or support from more senior management. As a manager, I was pretty much left on my own, which wouldn't be bad if I had the resources and support to do my job. Not the case in my situation. I was left to fend on my own with little support and few resources for anything other than sustainment. If you choose to work here, avoid mid management positions as you get no support from senior management.
Pros
Good as long as you can carve out your own work.
Cons
Very poor leadership and management.
A good work/life balance employer
Principal, SPA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2018
I've worked there for some time and would recommend it to others. There are abundant opportunities there and a diverse culture depending upon your interest areas of employment, you may find opportunities on campus/departmentally or in a central/administrative roles.
Great experience
Philosophy Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 12, 2018
CMU is a great place to work. I've been there for more than ten years, and it's been like a home to me intellectually and professionally. Great people.
Poor management
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 22, 2018
Although Carnegie Mellon University is a great institution for doing science, the treatment of graduate students by the research advisors and academic staff is poor. Graduate students do not have any right in their eyes, they are treated poorly with little respect. To be frank, very similar to slavery. Serious re-structuring is needed.
Pros
Poor treatment of Graduate Students
Cons
Good academic envornment
No Support from Management
Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
Management does not listen to employees needs. Famous for piling on additional duties but not giving support when needed. The attitude is get the work done even if it means working 60 hour work weeks and not being compensated for it.
Interesting place to work temporarly
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
The staff was very professional and cooperative. Some of the academic supervisors acted more superior than others which was unfortunate because equality would have made the experience more productive.
It is an excellent place explore your ideas
Research Assistant, Lead Developer , CMU (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 19, 2018
At CMU, my ideas were valued and supported with enhancements to it. I have always felt more intrigued towards working on a goal as it was exciting not only to me but to all of us together.
Good depending on Boss
Researcher III (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2018
CMU is a great place to work for the most part. While I love my boss and my group, often upper management can be a bear to work with. They care only about cutting costs without the effects on the staff. While I can only speak for my space and my college, I think it's 90% good, 10% stress.

I feel like I'd recommend working at CMU, but only because my boss and my group is amazing. I don't often have to deal with the upper "management" and their poor managerial skills that often.
Very kind and caring staff
Forensic Operations & Investigations Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 6, 2018
I've been working as a Forensic Operations & Investigations intern at the SEI since June of 2017. I've gained a tremendous amount of technical and professional experience here, and I've had the opportunity to work with many people who are experts in their field. This is a fantastic place to work, but unfortunately all of the open positions require graduate school or higher.
Workplace Culture
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 6, 2018
Extremely collaborative. Everyone is up for new and innovative problem-solving ideas. The environment is also great to work in. With so much going on around you, it is definitely a great place to work at.
Job through TES
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 19, 2018
I received the position through temporary employment services. The position itself was not bad, but I received half the normal salary because I was a TES employee. This was acceptable because it was essentially a try out and an easier way to get your foot in the door. After months of working there however, I learned I would not be automatically considered for the position even though I was already performing all the responsibilities associated with it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight