Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Great experience
Philosophy Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 12, 2018
CMU is a great place to work. I've been there for more than ten years, and it's been like a home to me intellectually and professionally. Great people.
Poor management
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 22, 2018
Although Carnegie Mellon University is a great institution for doing science, the treatment of graduate students by the research advisors and academic staff is poor. Graduate students do not have any right in their eyes, they are treated poorly with little respect. To be frank, very similar to slavery. Serious re-structuring is needed.
Pros
Poor treatment of Graduate Students
Cons
Good academic envornment
No Support from Management
Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
Management does not listen to employees needs. Famous for piling on additional duties but not giving support when needed. The attitude is get the work done even if it means working 60 hour work weeks and not being compensated for it.
Interesting place to work temporarly
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
The staff was very professional and cooperative. Some of the academic supervisors acted more superior than others which was unfortunate because equality would have made the experience more productive.
It is an excellent place explore your ideas
Research Assistant, Lead Developer , CMU (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 19, 2018
At CMU, my ideas were valued and supported with enhancements to it. I have always felt more intrigued towards working on a goal as it was exciting not only to me but to all of us together.
Good depending on Boss
Researcher III (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2018
CMU is a great place to work for the most part. While I love my boss and my group, often upper management can be a bear to work with. They care only about cutting costs without the effects on the staff. While I can only speak for my space and my college, I think it's 90% good, 10% stress.

I feel like I'd recommend working at CMU, but only because my boss and my group is amazing. I don't often have to deal with the upper "management" and their poor managerial skills that often.
Very kind and caring staff
Forensic Operations & Investigations Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 6, 2018
I've been working as a Forensic Operations & Investigations intern at the SEI since June of 2017. I've gained a tremendous amount of technical and professional experience here, and I've had the opportunity to work with many people who are experts in their field. This is a fantastic place to work, but unfortunately all of the open positions require graduate school or higher.
Workplace Culture
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 6, 2018
Extremely collaborative. Everyone is up for new and innovative problem-solving ideas. The environment is also great to work in. With so much going on around you, it is definitely a great place to work at.
Job through TES
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 19, 2018
I received the position through temporary employment services. The position itself was not bad, but I received half the normal salary because I was a TES employee. This was acceptable because it was essentially a try out and an easier way to get your foot in the door. After months of working there however, I learned I would not be automatically considered for the position even though I was already performing all the responsibilities associated with it.
Passionate place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 16, 2018
Collaborative culture and not much bureaucracy. It is easy to take initiatives and advance in career. The workplace can be stressful but the university is taking initiatives to change that.
good place to work
Temporary Employee Positions (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2018
Carnegie Mellon University is an excellent place to develop careers. I had learnt a lot from my own experience, the university also offers variety of fields to work on.
Professional and Educational Development is Great
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2018
The pay isn't great if you work within certain departments, but there is so much room for growth in terms of the learning opportunities.

Free PAT bus pass - free gym.

Many development courses.

Free FT tuition after 6 months.
Cons
Low Salary
Programming
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 31, 2018
Emphasis was on team work. Multiple working environment, home, office or in outside library. So long as you meet deadlines when you spend your working hours did not matter. Multi-skills environment, everyone helping each other. Fun filled department
Pros
Free breakfast on Fridays
Cons
Short breaks
fun and competitive
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 31, 2018
fun and competitive.
Lots of meetings/journal club to share the scientific thoughts and deeds.
Nice workplace culture with respects for everybody.
Well managed HR
learned new molecular techniques
Pros
free lunch, coffee, bus rides with ID
Cons
short breaks
Typical College Atomosphere
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 29, 2018
Not a tough place to work, benefits and pay were good, management was tolerable... If you can get hired as a faculty member then your life will be much better than coming on as a staff member.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Hard, push, heavy course load, but can learn more than you image
Student (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2018
CMU has the most reputation in computer science and engineering in the world. You can choose CS courses independently on you major. If you work hard and complete each assignment by yourself, you will learn a great of valuable knowledge.
Very welcoming place of employment
Building Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 18, 2018
The school I worked in, Tepper, was a very enjoyable working experience. However, there were some office politics and clicks among staff members. I found that by remaining neutral and not getting overly involved in other co-workers' business I was well liked which made collaborating with others much easier.
Pros
Lots of free lunches, decent job security
Cons
A lot of lazy people
n/a
Front Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2018
I like working for Carnegie Mellon. I learned how to use Service Now and Web check out. My coworkers enjoy working at Carnegie Mellon as well. Great workplace culture.
Finding the right job is important here.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2018
There are many student jobs available; what is important is that you find a job that you enjoy. The pay will never be that great, especially for a student, but finding something you enjoy will complement your student life while also potentially building your resume.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2018
If you like the energy of and academic environment, it's a great place. Urban campus with a suburban feel. Pay is okay; paid tuition makes up for it somewhat.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, paid holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.3Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

43%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Carnegie Mellon University Reviews by Location