Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Work Life Balance at its Best!
HCM Specialist, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2018
Working for Carnegie Mellon allows an individual the opportunity for an excellent work/life balance as well as fantastic, unparalleled benefits.

Furthermore, you get to be a part of an exciting, innovative institution, regardless of your position within the scope of the university.
Great Life and Work Balance
Catering & Banquet sous chef (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
The hours are great. it is easy to balance work and life. the benefits are good. after 1 year you get paid vacation. It is under union contract but the contracts for the company expire every 5 years. they seem to jump to new companies every 5 years. if you aren't union you are not guaranteed job security under the new management.
Excellent Employer
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Destin, FLJune 2, 2018
The Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University is an excellent place to work. Challenges abound and meaningful work. Superb work - life balance and the benefits are second to none
Job through TES
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 19, 2018
I received the position through temporary employment services. The position itself was not bad, but I received half the normal salary because I was a TES employee. This was acceptable because it was essentially a try out and an easier way to get your foot in the door. After months of working there however, I learned I would not be automatically considered for the position even though I was already performing all the responsibilities associated with it.
Exciting place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 3, 2018
Culture is very progressive. Management is very fair, dynamics and responsible. Training was adequate and expectations are reasonable. Atmosphere is light and fun but work is serious and important. The balance between work and life is appropriate. I enjoyed working here.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
part-time postiion
Great place to work with great people.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 12, 2017
I was in charge of daily lab operations and also performed experiments. The people in the lab (other techs and graduate students) were very friendly. The best thing about those people was their willingness to help out. They helped train me and continued to help me out throughout my time there. Management was very good as well. Everybody has their complaints about their boss. My boss was more understanding than any of my other bosses at other jobs. I had to miss work for various reasons and I was received with sympathy and understanding. Only complaint was the fact that the boss changed what project I should work on quite often. It keeps you on your toes at least.
Pros
Great Benefits, Great Work Environment, Flexible hours, Great people
Typical College Atomosphere
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 29, 2018
Not a tough place to work, benefits and pay were good, management was tolerable... If you can get hired as a faculty member then your life will be much better than coming on as a staff member.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Professional and Educational Development is Great
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2018
The pay isn't great if you work within certain departments, but there is so much room for growth in terms of the learning opportunities.

Free PAT bus pass - free gym.

Many development courses.

Free FT tuition after 6 months.
Cons
Low Salary
Teaching is fun most of the time.
Present, Director of Embedded Software Engineering (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 19, 2018
I loved the position to start and found the job interesting, but of late it has become more focused on getting students through the system rather than teaching new things. I want to produce things again and therefore am looking for a place to product things.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Some of the people
Generally Terrible Management/Leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2018
No sense of teamwork. Too few resources to manage programs and nearly no sustained commitment or support from more senior management. As a manager, I was pretty much left on my own, which wouldn't be bad if I had the resources and support to do my job. Not the case in my situation. I was left to fend on my own with little support and few resources for anything other than sustainment. If you choose to work here, avoid mid management positions as you get no support from senior management.
Pros
Good as long as you can carve out your own work.
Cons
Very poor leadership and management.
A good part-time job
Inter Library Loan Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2018
A good place to have a part-time job while balancing the rigorous nature of CMU's studies. Flexibility with work schedules, including shifting around work hours to suit class schedules.
Productive and fun workplace with lots of open area
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 4, 2018
The workplace is very diverse and you meet a lot of different people. You are introduced to many ideas. There was always something to do whether it was take a walk or go to one of the nearby restaurants. The place was fun and the people are nice.
Pros
Free lunches on Thursday
Horrible place to work
Procurement Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2018
Working at CMU was by far the worst place I've worked. People constantly competed with each other, and there was a reverse sexist environment when I was there.
Great student job at the time
Test Administrator/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2018
This was a part-time university job while I was a student. As a self-paced math tutor & grader it really reinforced my math education in the subjects offered.
Pros
Met a lot of future engineers
Cons
Can't remember any
Do not even consider a research position at CMU!
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 24, 2016
As a post-doc, you do not exist at this university. There is nothing for postdocs: no seminar, no gathering, no recreational activity, no information such as the salary range or the number of post-docs, and no career development.

Pay for researchers is the minimum that the law allows.

They try their best not to spend money. According to the department head, the pay is the least to discourage postdoc employment because the same money can be spent hiring graduate students and the larger the number of the graduates, the better the look of his resume.

The carpets, AC's, desks etc. in some offices are as old as the university. Very often, there are cockroaches in the hallways. The management does not even bother with keeping the space clean. Food quality on campus is miserable.
OK but not great
Assistant Manager, Technology Enhanced Facilities (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
The computing service department is a crazy place to work for. THe level of institutional dysfunction is high. There is a large group of upper management people that are in damage control mode at all times because of the poor planning and under-staffing
great place top work
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 22, 2018
working in the enrollment office was nice as well as data entry. the work wasn't hard but had to be done. great place for a work study position. learned a lot about the enrollment side
Fascinating Place to Work
Program Manager, Ben Franklin Program (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2018
I worked in a variety of departments at the university. Working with the top minds in their fields is exhilarating and challenging, as well as rewarding.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement; great environment
Cons
Little room for advancement
wouldnt recommend working here
custodial services (Former Employee) –  pittsburgh, paJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at work consists of gathering your products for the work night and heading to your building to complete the task at hand.I learned a lot while i was there. some good and some bad. The good for example would be using new machines and different tactics. The bad would be fending for your self. Couldnt depend on management. My co-workers at CMU was some of the best ive ever had. They were all very hard workers. The hardest part of the job would have to be some of the unrealistic tasks that supervisors would expect you to finish. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the working environment. Learning new things about the buildings that i was in.
Pros
regular union raises
Cons
management
A good work/life balance employer
Principal, SPA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2018
I've worked there for some time and would recommend it to others. There are abundant opportunities there and a diverse culture depending upon your interest areas of employment, you may find opportunities on campus/departmentally or in a central/administrative roles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss