Carnegie Mellon University Employee Reviews

Teaching is fun most of the time.
Present, Director of Embedded Software Engineering (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 19, 2018
I loved the position to start and found the job interesting, but of late it has become more focused on getting students through the system rather than teaching new things. I want to produce things again and therefore am looking for a place to product things.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Some of the people
Horrible place to work
Procurement Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2018
Working at CMU was by far the worst place I've worked. People constantly competed with each other, and there was a reverse sexist environment when I was there.
A good part-time job
Inter Library Loan Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2018
A good place to have a part-time job while balancing the rigorous nature of CMU's studies. Flexibility with work schedules, including shifting around work hours to suit class schedules.
great place top work
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 22, 2018
working in the enrollment office was nice as well as data entry. the work wasn't hard but had to be done. great place for a work study position. learned a lot about the enrollment side
Great student job at the time
Test Administrator/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2018
This was a part-time university job while I was a student. As a self-paced math tutor & grader it really reinforced my math education in the subjects offered.
Pros
Met a lot of future engineers
Cons
Can't remember any
Productive and fun workplace with lots of open area
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 4, 2018
The workplace is very diverse and you meet a lot of different people. You are introduced to many ideas. There was always something to do whether it was take a walk or go to one of the nearby restaurants. The place was fun and the people are nice.
Pros
Free lunches on Thursday
Exciting place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 3, 2018
Culture is very progressive. Management is very fair, dynamics and responsible. Training was adequate and expectations are reasonable. Atmosphere is light and fun but work is serious and important. The balance between work and life is appropriate. I enjoyed working here.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
part-time postiion
Work Life Balance at its Best!
HCM Specialist, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2018
Working for Carnegie Mellon allows an individual the opportunity for an excellent work/life balance as well as fantastic, unparalleled benefits.

Furthermore, you get to be a part of an exciting, innovative institution, regardless of your position within the scope of the university.
No comment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 6, 2018
Just go in and do your work then you'll be ok. It's more of a slower pace of work if you're used to being busy. If that's what you're interested in, then this is the place for you.
Learning by working
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 24, 2018
I learned new technology in Carnegie Mellon University through working. New technology was tested and applied and finally commercialized. It is really exciting environment.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Small pay
OK but not great
Assistant Manager, Technology Enhanced Facilities (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
The computing service department is a crazy place to work for. THe level of institutional dysfunction is high. There is a large group of upper management people that are in damage control mode at all times because of the poor planning and under-staffing
Great Life and Work Balance
Catering & Banquet sous chef (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
The hours are great. it is easy to balance work and life. the benefits are good. after 1 year you get paid vacation. It is under union contract but the contracts for the company expire every 5 years. they seem to jump to new companies every 5 years. if you aren't union you are not guaranteed job security under the new management.
Excellent Employer
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Destin, FLJune 2, 2018
The Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University is an excellent place to work. Challenges abound and meaningful work. Superb work - life balance and the benefits are second to none
Racist and unorganized
Cashier/Food Services (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2018
Working there was the worst and they can’t communicate at all. They are biased and racist. I was getting told what to do but someone who was not my boss. I literally had to argue with him about going home.
Fascinating Place to Work
Program Manager, Ben Franklin Program (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2018
I worked in a variety of departments at the university. Working with the top minds in their fields is exhilarating and challenging, as well as rewarding.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement; great environment
Cons
Little room for advancement
Generally Terrible Management/Leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2018
No sense of teamwork. Too few resources to manage programs and nearly no sustained commitment or support from more senior management. As a manager, I was pretty much left on my own, which wouldn't be bad if I had the resources and support to do my job. Not the case in my situation. I was left to fend on my own with little support and few resources for anything other than sustainment. If you choose to work here, avoid mid management positions as you get no support from senior management.
Pros
Good as long as you can carve out your own work.
Cons
Very poor leadership and management.
A good work/life balance employer
Principal, SPA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2018
I've worked there for some time and would recommend it to others. There are abundant opportunities there and a diverse culture depending upon your interest areas of employment, you may find opportunities on campus/departmentally or in a central/administrative roles.
Great experience
Philosophy Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 12, 2018
CMU is a great place to work. I've been there for more than ten years, and it's been like a home to me intellectually and professionally. Great people.
Poor management
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 22, 2018
Although Carnegie Mellon University is a great institution for doing science, the treatment of graduate students by the research advisors and academic staff is poor. Graduate students do not have any right in their eyes, they are treated poorly with little respect. To be frank, very similar to slavery. Serious re-structuring is needed.
Pros
Poor treatment of Graduate Students
Cons
Good academic envornment
No Support from Management
Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
Management does not listen to employees needs. Famous for piling on additional duties but not giving support when needed. The attitude is get the work done even if it means working 60 hour work weeks and not being compensated for it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnegie Mellon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight