Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Carnegie Museums were an ok place to work
SECURITY SERGEANT/OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2019
The work at the museums were very slow paste and boring at times. Management changes very often because people find that its not a place to advance at all.
A Wonderful Museum, Sadly Mismanaged
Telemarketing Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15213December 18, 2018
While working in the phone office at the museum, one can expect a flexible schedule but managerial problems. Thankfully, this issue is specific to the development department and does not permeate the CM family.
Productive fun workplace and educational
Custodian worker (Former Employee) –  Carnegie of PittsburghNovember 27, 2018
Very educational caring family-oriented place to work for I used to buff strip wax floors clean Office rooms set up rooms take out trash met a few good people friends till this day work for 4 years
Pros
Close to my home
Fun Atmosphere and a constant place of knowledge
Anthropological Curatorial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 16, 2018
Working for the Carnegie is a dream come true for an Anthropology major like myself. I learn something new every minute while I work there. I have developed bonds with colleagues that will hold for a lifetime.
Pros
Team Bonding
Cons
Fast-paced
Professional workplace with room for advancement
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 10, 2018
I worked at Carnegie Museums for several years. I didn't particularly enjoy the job (the nature of the job wasn't for me, so that's not a commentary on the organization itself), but the culture is good, I liked everyone I worked with, and it was fulfilling working with people who actually enjoyed and believed in the cause they were working for.

I will say that while I was there, my department was restructured at least three separate times due to disagreements from the top about how to run the department (and because the President of the organization "left" after a disagreement with the board). This didn't lead to layoffs, but it did make for an incredibly confusing system of reporting and task management. Everyone took this confusion in stride, however, and though that confusion was frustrating it rarely limited my ability to do my job thanks to the great management coming from the rest of the department.
Pros
Professional, great cause, good benefits
Cons
Structural changes, disorganized organization
Nice starting job with friendly Staff
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2018
Nice starting job with friendly Staff. They help you get started and acquainted with the job. Everyone is friendly and really welcoming. The job is really simple.
Great for retirees and people looking for other work
Security and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 19, 2018
The work is unfulfilling, you don't have any real idea at which post you will be on any given day, and the most supervisors have their own favorite people resulting in more deserving employees being passed over for training and better positions. Most coworkers and almost all of the people in other departments at the museum are great, and the biggest reason I put up with a boring workday and low pay for as long as I did.
Pros
Coworkers, lots of breaks
Cons
Aching feet, poor treatment by museum leadership
See comments
Senior Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 15, 2018
My comments at this time;
This is a public venue for families and schools to visit and learn about STEM Education and Science.
A new section of the building has been added that includes nine new learning classrooms and wet lab, traveling exhibition space and a new event space with a fantastic view of the downtown Pittsburgh skyline.
No advancement, zero support, little compensation
Educator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 14, 2018
Strong hierarchy structure, no correlation between departments, little appreciation for any work done on your own time, no understanding of personal obligations, very little monetary compensation
It's an OK place to work if you're under 40...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2018
If you are an older worker looking for a promotion or even to get hired for anything other than a clerk in the gift shop forget about working here. Very sad as most of their top level donors are over 40 years old.
Pros
a great, educational place, in theory
Cons
lack of opportunities unless you are under 40
This was a very slow pace boring work environment.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 15, 2017
Being able to see some of the different art exhibits was extreamly amazing but sometimes standing there for hour and hours looking at the same things for 8 hours becomes a little overwhelming.
Pros
Being able to go to the museum for free.
Cons
Long hours of not being able to use my brain the way it should be used.
Laid back and is always interesting
Andy Warhol Museum Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2017
Wonderful company. You always get surrounded by New and exciting art exibits. Management is wonderful and everyone is friendly. The perks of being and employee are great
Fun if you are artsy
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2017
Its a good job if you enjoy paintings and antiques. You have to watch over them so people do not deface anything in the building. You have to stand for prolonged periods of time and you get short breaks.
Pros
Lunch Discounts. Break Room.
Cons
Prolonged Standing.
Work Study Student in Invertebrate Zoology
Invertebrate Zoology Lab Assistant- Work Study (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 28, 2017
Worked about 10hrs/ week pinning and labeling specimens. Since it was a workstudy job and I sometimes went through busy times at school, my supervisor was very supportive about working around my school schedule.
Sales Job
Telephone Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2017
I like it because everyone is friendly and you could advance to management. What I like most was that I got to go to the museums for free. It is fun .
Nice buildings, poor organization
Safety & Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2017
The buildings are lovely and most the people are really nice. You don't make much money and there is very little room for career advancement. Many patrons become belligerent at even the smallest thing.
Pros
Nice people, free admission
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, disorganized
Supportive and creative education environment
Teaching Artist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed collaborating with my fellow teaching artists and supervisors to develop engaging, age-appropriate, creative programs for students. Our lesson planning expectations are rigorous but there is a lot of departmental support and enthusiasm for exploring new ideas and taking unconventional approaches to art-making and experiencing the museum. And of course it's a HUGE bonus to work for a place where you can continue your own learning by visiting the museum and several reciprocal establishments, and by bringing friends/family too.
A great place to work during College
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 17, 2015
The hours are stead, but easily adjustable to fit your schedule. And the workload is manageable for someone who also had to consider college assignments.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No advancement
Museum Lead Educator (Current Employee) –  PittsburghOctober 14, 2015
Carnegie Museums are great places to work with many opportunities and a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. There is always a learning and growing experience that goes along with work.
Cultural experiences as you are working
Human Resources Assistant (Temporary Contract) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 18, 2015
This is great place to work because not only have they created a great environment to work, no matter where you work, you are surrounded by cultural learning experiences. Whether it's art, the Science Center or Natural History, there always things to be learning.
Pros
Visiting all the museums for free
Cons
Very little full-time opportunities