Carnival Cruise Line

United States1,887 reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & Benefits

Found 662 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,121 reviews

Very tough job and stressful on backbone

My experience first when I joined was going good. But as continued it was not that so easy after my first promotion. But again company came up with the new system and work structure was going bad. Then like I have seen every year they come up with the new system which effects 🙄 on my job career.

Pros

Free breakfast, free lunch, rea time and free dinner

Cons

10 hours

Go for the experience

Go for the experience enjoy the travel but get out when you can and come back to land. It’s a great career while you’re young you get to meet a lot of people and some lifetime friends and see a lot of places it’s a low salary but because Food and board Are paid for it evens out

Carnival Cruise Line insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

A once decent company that has massively deteriorated.

I was in the entertainment department. When I started over 20 years ago it was a good cruise line, but relentless cuts and more and more hours made it a nightmare by the end.

Pros

Usual cruise line benefits, free food etc

Cons

Too many hours, faceless corporate culture.

tøff men verdifull opplevelse

En tøff jobb hvor du må være tøff, arbeidsvillig, aktivt, proaktivt og du kan få tilbake en god erfaring. Denne jobben gir deg gode muligheter for karriere og masse opplevelser med høy standrad. Det var ikke ett enkelt studie, men det var verdt alle de gode erfaringene.

Pros

Gratis måltider, besøk til flere fantastisk destinasjoner, mye muligheter til å voksne

Cons

lang arbeidsdager, ingen frihet (militar system) for lang tid, ekstremt krevende arbeid, ikke mye privat sfære

Great ports of call

Overall, a great company to work with. Lots of international employees so one can get a sence of different cultures and lifestyles. HR and leadership is very supportive.

Pros

Exotic ports on fall when assigned shipboard duties

Cons

No benefits when assigned shipboard duties.

good experience unforgettable memories

I've worked for Carnival for more than 5 years, there are good and bad, you have chance to meet all different people see different culture try different food to see the world, however its could be stressful job depending on the people you work with and the manager, the salary is not so balance with the job you do.

overall great place to work

great place to work with opportunity for advancement. had good mentors during my employment. good benefits package including onsite gym and health care

Fun and meaningful work that pays well.

I worked for Carnival for 11 years. I started as a Personal Vacation Planner (PVP) and ultimately got promoted to a Virtual Sales Coach. The work could be monotonous and long hours, but was fun for the most part. I mean, who doesn't like talking about vacations all the time?!?! This wasn't a place where you could coast and be successful. You had to grind each day! Regarding pay, as a PVP you truly got out what you put in to the work. Many of the PVPs make over $80K several over $100K and more. As a coach, the pay was very good, even though while working the crazy hours and time felt like it was way too low, but overall for the year was great. Plus the company always tried to take care of it's employees as best they could. The benefits were excellent and I never realized how great they were till I didn't have them anymore.Overall, I would recommend working for Carnival Cruise Line.

A lot fun and party, specially when you are not on board.

Very good time in my life,work is hard but you will learn new things on board , a lot of characters and to much working hours.not too much sleep and not to much free time.

Free cruises and great office environment.

Working as a PvP was a lot of fun and an easy call center job. The perks were amazing. Salary is low, but commissions made it nice. The hours were long and since it’s salary you don’t get OT for those hours, but make good money on commission.

Pros

Free dinner sometimes, free cruises, and laid back office

Cons

During busy season no time off.

Great team work.

All staff work hard and help each other. It is difficult to be away from family at 4 months at a time. Great autonomy in practice. Medical and nursing staff are all highly skilled.

Pros

Free travel, while getting paid.

Cons

Work hours are long.

Great to travel, but work to much to really experience those places

Started in 2010. I worked 70-80 hours a week and my first few years we never got paid over time(70+hours), it was only after 2017 when they started paying us that. Manager would always edit down our hours and if we said anything then he would give us a hard time. This pretty much sums up the job. If you aren’t happy and complain you get worse off than when you started. So we would just keep quiet. Honestly I loved working with the guests and making amazing memories for them, but we never got the recognition, gratitude and compensation that we deserved.

Pros

Pay for you first flight and then all others flights are covered. Free food and accommodation.

Cons

Long hours, poor salary for the amount of work expected. No freedom to live outside of work. Confined in a ship.

Work on a cruise ship is a nightmare

If you want to travel and get a some experience you may think about this company. But if you want a stable job which gonna care about you, choose something else. Workers on the ship work a minimum 77h/week. The overtime is not payed and usually, it is corrected by incompetent managers. If you care about your health don't work here.

Pros

Travel, but in most cases, u see almost nothing, because u are to tired to go out in ports...

Cons

Unqualified management, stress, long working hours, bad food, small rooms, might hold u against your will on the ship.

Fun at work but no holiday. All 7 days hard work.

As beginner you should try. Sikce you will get tonsee the world and also free ride on cruise. People are nice and you will make some good friends overall.

Pros

To get a chance to see the world

Cons

Long hours working.

Most employees are from 3rd world countries and are being taken advantage of in regards to pay and benefits

It’s a hard company to work for .They don’t have any benefits for non US employees.They overwork the employees and there is no overtime.No PTO or any other benefits for non US employees.They book terrible and long flights when repatriating employees.

Interesting at first but things died out quick

The job wasn’t too complicated and I was excited at first but immediately I noticed no room for advancement. The pay was pretty bad even though I attempted to negotiate for higher.

Pros

Free cruises, good work life balance, benefits

Cons

Poor pay, was laid off because of Covid.

Family

It felt like a family atmosphere from day one. Everyone was nice and caring and didn't make you feel like an outsider. In my line of work I work mostly alone reviewing files and trying to settle claims directly with guest and or attorneys. Hardest part was getting guest on the phone to settle claims and the best part was being able to resolve complex claims.The company is truly amazing and if you get a chance to work for them its worth it.

Pros

basketball courts, gym, in house medical center and 401k

Cons

No room for growth in my profession.

A Fun Place to Work

It truly is a fun place to be employed. However, there are few opportunities for advancement, and they like to play favorites with the available opportunities. To be honest, I would still be employed if the raises were up to date with the costs of living. I only left to find better employment.

Funplace to work and progress

Great place to live and work. Food, accommodation and uniforms are provided by the company. Food is of high quality, unlimited and the mess is open round the clock to accommodate all shifts. Free medical coverage and pension plan when you work over 10 years with the company.

Pros

Good salary, tax free and food, accommodation and uniforms provided. Free medical coverage and pension plan.

Cons

Work away from home and family.

cushy job

My position at Carnival was unique as I was the entertainer at the piano bars on 13 ships from 1999 to 2006 so there was no advancement in what I did as a piano player/singer, but I would highly recommend a job there either on land or at sea. The people I worked with though, were very friendly easy to get along with and I would consider goimg back if I weren't disabled now due to illness not related to CCL.

Pros

Great benefits and good food and as staff I could get off the ship at ports

Cons

boat drills and coastguard inspections

Great experience

Nice, distinctive bubble world inside a cruise ship. Great for career progression (if you like living in that bubble!) and working at front office is challenging. Great parties with colleagues and social life is great.....within the bubble cruise world!

Pros

Free lunches, traveling and see new places, reasonable salary

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carnival Cruise Line. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Carnival Cruise Line with

Learn about Carnival Cruise Line in popular locations

• Carnival Cruise Line
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?