CarolinaEast Health System Employee Reviews

Average Employment Life Expectancy: 6 months
Just one of the staff (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCDecember 11, 2018
When I began at Carolina East 15 plus years ago, the average employee had been there an average of 7.5 years. Many move, change jobs, but 7.5 years was pretty good. By 2015, it was 8 months, then by 2017, it was 6 months. Speak with a staff educator and she'll eloquently tell you that "its tough to keep people (because the hierarchy are manipulative and mean to new hires)"
Excellent training for new hires, however the social environment is, well, mean and backstabbing. Its really sad. HR doesn't really want to hear any complaints. You can't blame them. They're there to assist with W-2 forms and to hand out yearly awards for not quitting.
There never used to be an award until you hit your 5-year mark, but there were so few, they began with 1 year pins, pens and plaques. HR knows this but also you can hire new hires for cheaper. Not bad on the accounting side for the hospital, however the management in place are generally cruel, except orthopedics and oncology. Crossroads manager is an honorary patient herself. Other managers hit that category too yet I point that one out as she displayed very bizarre behavior in management meetings to where she excused herself on 3 occasions. Don't rock the boat is the mantra. Many staff are kind, depends where you are. Management positions are filled with clones made from frozen cells of Hollywood divas with past schizophrenia diagnoses. Not really but not a bad speculation either.
Schedules are based on how well you are liked and how long you have been there. Don't have an unscheduled baby within your first 40 years of
  more... employment or you will be disciplined for calling out.

When you go for treatment, it hit or miss. They're understaffed: 8:1 ratio on floors for nurses to patients on average. That's 7 minutes and 30 seconds per patient (actual study), but factor in 45 minutes of every hour is electronic charting. That's 1 minute and 48 seconds of in-room patient care, per the last consultants, if all 8 patients are checked on each hour. Makes you think!

ER is OK. There is a new holding area where you're not admitted but not seen either is a medical purgatory to ensure the 15 minute advertised wait time on the billboards along the highways is accurate. You're "seen", then stored for another 6 hours, then actually seen. If you were to, say, go in at 4pm and out by 2am, you've gotten a bill for 8 grand easily, then we bump up your prices according to our perception of your ability to pay. You never look at your bill, that's what we want. Its a business.

Some hospitals are teaching hospitals, others are world renowned or regionally desirable. Carolina East has a reputation for being a high-school cheerleader squad who hates all the other girls at school and make them miserable, as far as a workplace. Ask any employee where they would go if they go sick? Usually Vidant (for proximity) then Raleigh area. Employees like the personality of the providers there, however your management doesn't want you to enjoy your job. Its a really odd culture. I can't tell you how many staff have left crying when they were right, and quit. Few are fired, they quit. Probably helps with unemployment payments from the HR end.

Not all is bad. The fried okra in the cafeteria is exceptional and I've never had my car door dinged in the parking lot due to wide spaces. The payroll is always on time. If you do not require feedback or a pat on the back, that's a plus. Never complain about a superior or engage in a fellow staff concern, even if a patient's life is at risk; this is due to the potential cause of the concern may be directly related to a friend of the superior you are speaking with, so you will be the blame. No, I was never blamed, but stay there long enough and you end up speaking on behalf of the disenfranchised.

Many will read this and smile. Is there a cure for the social cancer that permeates Carolina East? A takeover by a larger corporation? Perhaps. Holy water? Tried it, failed. By direct correlation, the staff with a higher religious affiliation are usually the mean ones. Just an odd observation over the years. Link up with an agnostic.

Housekeeping, maintenance and CSS are the most downtrodden in the whole hospital and yet they keep everyone running. This is not from a natural managerial perspective but stems from the hospital caste system that had formed since the hospital was created.

Advice: if you take a job there, quickly scout your path to promotion via marriage potential or befriending your manager. NEVER COMPLAIN. We won't like you because you cause us to do the right thing and we won't so we fire you. Its the only way. If you're uncertain how to accomplish sidling up to managment, watch Housewives of Beverly Hills or the Kardashians for brushing up on your shallow social skills. If you're kind, courteous and have a good heart and accomplished a CNA certification, an RN degree, a CRNA cert, etc, then congratulation! However read this post again after 1 year of employment. Make that 6 months. You will laugh and remember this post. I survived, but PTSD is highly overrated. Find a happier place.
Pros
Payroll ontime
Cons
Poor management afraid to rock the boat
Stressful
CNA II (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCMarch 3, 2018
The nursing staff was amazing and helpful. Teamwork was great! Management was poor. Never got important info needed. Go to management with a problem and your brushed off as if it’s unimportant. Go to HR or higher and your either told not to waste their time because the manager is always right or you may not have a job.
Pros
Amazing team
Nursing
LPN (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCFebruary 26, 2018
So much I could say about Carolina East Health Systems. Especially since I feel like I've been here a life time almost. I've worked in so many different departments. ER, OR holding, PACU, CVICU, CVIMC, 3IMC, Nephro, Neuro, Central Sterile Supply, Xroads, Rehab, CIM, and the list goes on and on. Over the past 28 years I've learned so much with so many titles: Clerk, ccs, Unit Secretary, Certified Nursing asst, I & II, Patient Care Tech I & II, and now as an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse). So with all of these titles my hours varies a lot over the years from part time/full time/floater etc. 4, 8, 12 hour shifts. weekends, holidays, it all. The most enjoyable part of all of these job titles that I was blessed to have is learning, taking care of people and at the same time getting to know a whole lot of people.
Pros
Learning (because my goal is still to become an Nursing Educator)
Cons
Obstacles sometimes however with my inner strength I break the walls of obstacles.
Everbody wants to be a chief ( meaning day shift) and not an Indian
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Intermediate care unitNovember 21, 2017
Day shift wanted to socialize all day and then tell night shift they didn't have time to finish task. You could walk on a unit anytime during day shift and techs would be in a cubby hole doing nothing. Manager was aware of this, but was to busy being lazy hisself.
Excellent place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Bern NCOctober 5, 2017
Benefits are great, pay is competitive, management is ok. The staffing, like any ER is always in flux and requires call shifts and mandatory overtime. But it's not a bad environment. The staff works great collaboratively.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Short staffed
Underpaid, overworked, and telling it like it is.
Tech (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCSeptember 12, 2017
The culture at CarolinaEast is to do as you are told, and they don't care what you think. This hospital is a big fish in a tiny pond. The pay rate for most positions is laughable...for the actual laborers such as myself. The management, many of whom can be found in the cafeteria at any given time of day, is compensated handsomely. There are quite a few cliques...either you are in, or you are not. You will know fairly quickly where you fit. They love to preach about how to treat one another, but it is seldom put into practice. Many employees are unhappy...barely lifting their eyes as they roam the hallways. There is much shiny new construction with little to no debt....while the little people toil away for pennies in hidden, dilapidated departments. Morale is as low as the starting wages. Cut rate, bargain basement health care insurance plans are the latest insult to injury. I'm there because I have to be...for now.
Pros
Free gifts covered with the logo.
Cons
Everything else.
Nurses are not your friends
CNA (Former Employee) –  New Bern NCAugust 27, 2017
This Hospital cannot staff they will leave a tech with 15 plus patients and not care or try to get you help. People will video tape others to ge them fired very cut throat and lots of back stabbing people you cant trust. Do not bother you will be over worked under paid and never recognized unless your a Doctor.
Pros
Cons
lack of trust in co workers Nurses do what ever they want techs get fired
not interested in completing this review
Health Information Services Manager (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 6, 2017
I cannot complete this review in good conscious. I would like to move through this so that I can apply for the position I logged on to apply for. Very frustrating
The Culture of the organization is amazing! Truly value the employees!
Vice President, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCJune 19, 2017
CarolinaEast is a very special organization that values their employees. There are a lot of long term employees which speaks to the way employees are treated, great benefits, a lot of employee recognition and a feeling of family. Great place to work!
Pros
Nice facility, great benefits, nice staff and leaders that care about doing the right thing.
Love this company!!!
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCApril 20, 2017
Great place to work, company is great, employees are great, management is great. I love this place, the company values their patients, and values their employees. The benefits are wonderful. I have nothing but great things to say about working here.
Third Party Collector (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCApril 17, 2017
The manager are not fair they treat their employees different some of them have their favorite. It's a good place to eat but they should have a different manager
Pros
Good food
Cons
Manager unfair
Overall, a great place to have a career
Current employee (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCApril 1, 2017
Having worked here for awhile, left to try other organizations, and eventually came back I can honestly say that overall this is a great place to work. As with anything, there is room for improvement, but it is not as bad as some of the reviews make it sound. We are a very customer service oriented health care facility, but that doesn't only apply to patients. On top of having great benefits, I believe that management is fair and if you are a good employee you will have a good work experience with this organization.
Very fast paced office.
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCFebruary 21, 2017
Very fast paced office. Employees were nice. Expected to keep up without errors. Lots of patients that expected attention. I enjoyed working with the patients and getting to know them.
nice benefits with low insurance premiums
Third Party Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCFebruary 17, 2017
Plenty of work to keep you busy all day. I have learned a lot about billing and working with insurance companies. The hardest part is working in cubicles with 20+ women around. I find it very distracting at times.
Carolina East Health System
Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCDecember 17, 2016
Best hospital in the area I've worked at. They have an understanding of how important it is to make their employees happy with the amenities and rewards offered at the job. Also nice to see the dedication to the community they serve.
Great atmosphere!!
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCNovember 30, 2016
I absolutely love working here! The employees are friendly and helpful!! They provide numerous wonderful benefits and incentives! There are so many people who have worked here for 20+ years because it's such a great place to work!
Pros
Awesome benefits!
Cons
I was started at the absolute lowest level of pay when, due to my experience, I should've been at the upper tier for my position!
Great place to work and learn
CNA II (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCJanuary 25, 2016
I love my job a great place to work friendly staff and genuinely good hearted people all around. To be a part of such an wonderful team is a honor and privilege. My co-works and upper management are a pleasure to work with. everyone helps and lend a helping hand when needed.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
overnight hours
Great for independent worker
Medicare Team - Medicare Advantage Biller (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCJanuary 18, 2016
Very nice place to work, great benefits. There is a diverse population of employees. Too many perks to list.

As a biller, the workload seems to be divided up quite evenly.

Loads of support when needing help or technical assistance.
just left there....Awful !!!
Tech (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCApril 7, 2015
VERY POOR management. Day shift people are queens and basically make their own rules.
The rest are over worked and treated like dirt. The best thing that could happen to that place is one of the big hospital in Raleigh buys them and turns them into a real hospital. And they clean house on management. That would also benefit the surrounding community as well.
Pros
Not one
Cons
everything
overall if you are a new person not good
evs (Former Employee) –  new bernApril 5, 2015
They tell you one thing when they hire you about your schedule and then they post something else had me working 4 weekends in a row employees hide so someone else has to do checkouts long lunch breaks lie and say they were doing other things and they weren't i was let go because i was humiliated buy another employee it was so bad i was in tears so i walked out tried to call superior to let them handle it but no one called me went to hr and they acted like they did care i don't recommend the evs department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CarolinaEast Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

CarolinaEast Health System Reviews by Location