Carolinas HealthCare System Employee Reviews

Found 1,168 reviews matching the search See all 1,171 reviews
Going through a rough (change of culture) patch
Structured Cabling Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 30, 2018
This company like most has it good and bad. Right now it is going through a change of culture with a new CEO, and upper management...persons that are from outside the system/state...so what they have seen out there and how things are done have made for a lot of "conflict" and uncertainty. So advancement is or job shifting is non-existent or very, very slow. Once the system gets over this "hump" things should start to move more freely, like it once was. The system is a great place to work with wonderful people within. If advancement or movement came better or salaries increased greater , this place would be a place you would want to retire from, no matter what age you started. Again, once the "change" wears off and things become the new culture, this place with be the best place to work; once again.
Pros
The PTO system, accrues up to 320-hrs than starts again once you are below that number, It accrues even while on PTO (vacation)
Cons
Merit raises, cost of health benefits
A very busy place to work
CPhT III (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCAugust 29, 2018
I mainly work in the IV Room making all types of IV medications including Narcotics and Chemo, some things are batched, somethings are made on demand
Could be out front answering phone calls, pulling order, tubing medications, Restocking Crash Carts, delivering medications to Omnicells on Nursing Units, assisting the Pharmacist
Could be collecting Medication Histories from patients and family members for new admits
Could be loading new start medications in the Omnicells and remove medication that in no longer needed.
Could be running the packager (unit dosing medication)

Many days the management comes out to help

The hardest part of my job- working short staffed

Is knowing that I played a part in helping someone. Maybe even saving someones life
Pros
The benefits
Cons
seems we always have call outs and work short staffed
Low moral
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 20, 2018
Atrium health is a good place to work but the moral in the operating room is very low, due to the fact that the OR is so busy and we do not get compensated for the work we do. The insurance is horrible and they do not keep up with the cost of living raises. The employees whom are maxed out on their salary cap, have not had raises in over eight years. According to Indeed website, Atrium pays their employees -21% below the national average.
Cons
Poor healthcare benefits and low pay
Understaffed, overworked, totally money driven
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Atrium NortheastNovember 12, 2018
Great coworkers who really want to do well for the patients but the leadership does not provide an environment to do so. From working short, the tremendous workload and ridiculous demand for more productivity creates a constant fear of making errors. Due to the staffing, patient safety is a big concern. There is a constant fear of being laid off. This is on all levels of physical patient care from providers, nurses, technologists, etc. There needs to be a bigger anonymous voice to call attention to this ramped disregard from leadership. When the employees constructively speak up we are put in a tier classification that lowers our raises, treat us as disgruntled and puts us through remediation classes to retrain our thoughts. Due to low staffing it is very hard to get any time off. Once awesome employees are now completely exhausted and only doing what they can to mentally and physically survive, it is very sad and totally unnecessary. Most employees do not ask for more money, just more help and time off. Atrium is so blatantly focused on wealthcare and not healthcare. I strongly do not recommend this system at this time.
Pros
Great professional employees
Cons
Leadership disregard to staff and patient concerns if it costs money.
Great Company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2018
Great company. Wish there were more work from home opportunities. Benefits could be much better. At times- you can see favoritism amd you wonder if you work too hard- in comparison to others. Work isn't always valued. Managers don't get the recognition and compensation that they deserve. Management needs to listen to their front-line staff more often- they are on the front lines and keeping the doors open. There needs to be more inspection and accountability.
Pros
Great Company/Reputable
Cons
Getting hired can be difficult
ok place to work
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 28, 2018
CHS offered bonuses and paid pretty decent, you also get a bonus once a year if you do not have any write ups, they also have a point system, so attendance is important. My department had horrible management so that was the reason for me leaving I would have stayed if they were more organized and treated people fairly, a lot of favoritism in my department as well
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
poor management
If you are more educated or know more than your supervisor - your job is in jeopardy
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2018
The work is fast paced and rewarding
You interact with a diverse group of people
Promotions are from outside with no experience
Management can be good, if you are a friend of theirs
Knowledge is something that isn't passed easily, for fear of losing positions.
Pros
Salary, freedom in schedules
Cons
weak management, intimadation tactics
pros & cons
Patient Account Representative II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 9, 2018
The work life balance is better than any other company i've ever worked for. Although we work for a hospital, our benefits are a joke! Also, the pay should be more competitive & company guidelines need to be more uniform across the entire organization.
Pros
paid pto thats accumulated relatively quicky & flex schedule
Cons
poor pay & poor benefits
Great job other than management
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdese, NCSeptember 2, 2018
I enjoyed working here for 4 years but when it came down to me going back to nursing school they didn’t want to work with me. They pick and choose who they work with and when it is convenient for them.
Pros
Benefits, don’t have to work every other weekend like most places
Cons
Management needs to be cleaned out
Was Ok as CHS ... now Atrium
Administrative Assistant, Central Division (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 21, 2018
Things have changed. They benefits are terribly expensive.
All new hires are ifrom the company in Texas that the new CEO came from. There is not much diversity in upper management.
Pros
Good medical institution
Cons
Benefits are terrible
High expectations, poor work life balance and pay
Home Health RN (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 14, 2018
High staff turn over, unreasonable expectations from management with poor work life balance. Good benefits but poor pay. Employees are not their most valuable asset.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Developer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 20, 2018
No promotions and small salary increases.I was in older technology and needed to get out because there was no future in coldfusion so I took a different position in sequel server.
Pros
no growth
Cons
salary, promotions
Enjoyable place to work
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2018
I enjoyed my job, I enjoyed my teammates. Overall nice place to work for. Wish more benefits were offered. Still unsure of the name change, feel like funds could be used elsewhere within the company.
Pros
Many opportunities
Cons
Not enough benefits choices
Positive culture and environment
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 22, 2018
There's a big focus on teammate satisfaction and listening to our needs. They try hard to be inclusive, but ignore the largest complaints and holding down pay rates and embarrassingly poor health benefits for a healthcare system.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Low wages and poor healthcare benefits
Not the worst and not the best.
CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 3, 2018
I've shared, established, learned,made friends,and enjoyed my work family at Atrium Health. Regardless of where you are, you will have good times and bad times. As a surgical technician I feel we dont get the amount of pay nor incentives as we should at Atrium Health.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, benefits
Great place to start and get ahead up to a point:
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 16, 2018
This can be a very good place to get started in Healthcare. There are a lot of benefits and technology available. However be aware of to much middle management that appear "stuck" and short on ideas and ability to innovate. Beware little fiefdoms that are set up by directors and above that can be tricky and politically dicey to work with and work for.
Pros
Stability, Technology, Work Life Balance
Cons
Very Large Company, Benefits, Management
Great place to work for
Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 15, 2018
Recently the wok has decreased drastically in Finance. I feel he layoffs are coming because there is not enough work to spread around. A typical day is uneventful, you come in and you know what you have to do.

They really take the engagement surveys seriously, and I think leadership tries to do everything in their power to make employees happy unfortunately it's not working. Employees are not happy because there seems to be a lack of communication.

The culture is great. We need new leadership in Finance. You have managers that know how to manage work but not people, and they are not really willing to take the time to train employees.
Pros
flexible, great work-life balance
Cons
benefits, lack of training, not a lot career advancement opportunities
Great company to work for
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCOctober 10, 2018
I loved working for CHS! Some of my management team was not very good and that led to my separating my self with this company. I was sad to have to go.
Pros
Benefits and friendships made
Cons
Bad management
Overall Great
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 12, 2018
As a whole the company is great! Lower management is not properly trained. They show favoritism and the benefits and compensation are are not competitive. There are lots of perks to working for such a large organization.
Run
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 15, 2018
No advancement. Unless you are in the clique your ideas are ignored. Supervisor may read at a 10th grade level- being generous. Nobody trusts management. If you want intelligent conversation you will not make it. Pay is small, benefits are very expensive. You use your own PTO for holidays. Unless you like tension and drama, do not apply.
Pros
Pay until you find good work
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carolinas HealthCare System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight