Caromont Employee Reviews

friends of friends
Registered Nurse, Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 11, 2019
Little to no growth opportunities for staff unless you know some one who is high in management. Management doesn't care about their employees. Keeping it short
Pros
location
Cons
pay, staff development
Ok starting job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 3, 2019
Loved the people I worked with. Patient to nurse ratio was high and staff was short. Enjoyed my patients job but did not have a lot of autonomy with my care.
Decent pay and benefits, terrible work life
RN (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCFebruary 2, 2019
A typical shift was very busy and chaotic with high patient turnover. The charge nurse usually has to take patients and manage the unit. There are no secretaries between 3pm and 7am so the charge nurse has to manage the desk, telemetry monitors, patients, and the unit.

The alarms are nonstop and not adjustable. Not only do you have the alarms sounding on your phone, they sound in every room and are incredibly loud.

The facility itself is old and dirty. The HVAC is unpredictable and prone to malfunction, with some rooms being 90 degrees and some 50 degrees. The rooms are tiny and can only fit 2 visitors, unless you have a VIP room or are on the Ortho unit. The beds are old and malfunction constantly. The bed alarms are iffy, causing lots of near misses and falls. The vital sign machines are old and unreliable, causing patients to receive unnecessary treatment or to miss vital treatments altogether.

The training is terrible. The CNAs have not been taught how to take blood pressures correctly. The new nurses have to mostly train themselves because their mentors are too busy with patient care. Charge nurses only receive one shift of training.

As a nurse, you don't have time to take care of your patients. You barely have time to medicate them. Many nurses don't even assess their patients beyond a cursory examination. If something out of the ordinary happens and a patient needs extra care, it ruins the entire shift.

False documentation is encouraged and enforced. Timed assessments are charted at the minute they are due whether or not they are actually done. CNA charting
  more... is excessive and redundant.

Staff:patient ratios are ridiculous. The hospitalists are overworked, burned out, and stretched thin. The nurses are given too many patients, don't receive recognition, and are berated for every small mistake or missed checkbox of documentation. The CNAs, bless them, work their hearts out and are mistreated horribly. Even the dietary aides have way too much to do.

Angry and inappropriate patients are coddled while the truly sick patients who need care are given the bare minimum. Floor staff are inadequately protected from violent and aggressive patients and family members. It is an accepted part of the culture that the nurses and CNAs are verbally and physically abused by the patients. It is an accepted part of the culture that some doctors, especially surgeons, verbally abuse the nurses.

Middle management is absolutely toxic. Floor staff receive very little recognition from management and are frequently "written up" over small issues. The med-surg units can't keep staff and there is an unusually high use of travelers. Charge nurses and assistant managers often badmouth the floor staff, especially if they have been floated. Many charge nurses sabotage float staff by giving them the worst assignments.

Pharmacy is overworked and incredibly slow. Medications often don't reach the patients for hours, causing easily prevented medication errors.

The attendance policy is punitive, with only five "occurrences" allowed in an 18-month period. This causes a lot of staff to come to work sick and spread their germs to their coworkers and patients. Many of the staff spend months working under the threat of suspension if they or their family members get sick.

There are some good things, however. The teamwork between the nurses and CNAs is good. The nurses have each other's backs most of the time. There is an IV team, which a lot of hospitals don't have. There is also a float pool, which helps a little with the understaffing. There is a designated chemo nurse, which is nice, although there is only one so chemo meds are always late. Paid time off accumulates pretty quickly, too. The benefits aren't bad.
Pros
It's a paycheck, The staff do their best with what they have, Benefits are OK, They match some of your contribution to your retirement fund
Cons
Short breaks, Bad food, Lack of support, Toxic culture, False documentation is encouraged, Poor staff:patient ratios, Old facility, Malfunctioning equipment, Punitive attendance policy
Great team of personnel that cares for their patients.
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 25, 2019
Company motto: This is how we care!!! For the most part everyone does their part to collectively exemplify this in the workplace culture. A great place with great employees.
Pros
Company morale, technology
Cons
short breaks, equipment
great place to work
RN Cath Lab, pre and post cath lab, and stress lab (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 8, 2019
Caromont is a hospital that really inspires community and team work. Working here allowed me to expand my nursing and critical thinking skills. Caromont offers programs that promote critical thinking by the nurses and allows nurses to participate in positive changes within the organization.
Poor support
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 7, 2019
I enjoyed my patients and had great benefits but felt like a number and not a valued employee. Teamwork was non existent and there is a high patient to nurse ratio increasing nurse burnout and a high turnover rate
Good place to work if you have an heart for people
Clinical Pastoral Intern (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCDecember 19, 2018
A typical day at work was we prayed first. What we learned was how to be an active listener. The management team was good at times. The workplace culture was diversity with different cultures. The hardest part of the job is knowing what your going to do day to day. The enjoyable part of the job was the patients enjoying their company.
Good
Report any abnormal results to the nurse (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCDecember 18, 2018
I loved working here. There was always room to move up the ladder, staffing was always great and teamwork was awesome. You had the opportunity to move within the company.
The company you need to work for
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCNovember 28, 2018
This company is a great company. The staff are so helpful and dedicated to the patients, guest and employees. They also give back to the community. Apply Now.
Food Service Review
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCNovember 23, 2018
It was nice working with patients, and a few of the food and nutrition staff were friendly as well, but overall the management has allowed this department's work environment to become difficult to bear. Half of the supervisors are fair and the other half seem to be mentally living in a different world where they are royalty. Those difficult supervisors talk to staff like they are children. Some workers are treated differently than others.
Pros
Some supervisors and staff are friendly
Cons
Some supervisors look down on staff
Review Summary
Patient-Centered Medical Home Analyst (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCNovember 5, 2018
Excellent workplace, employees are friendly and quick to assist patients and visitors. Excellent place to have had a career, there. This is a very good environment for someone with career goals.
Its not the work but the people you work for
Cook/Caterer (Current Employee) –  food serviceOctober 31, 2018
It would be better in food service if there waa better management...some will give help while some put help off on other people..they take days off with no complaints..while they stay on employees about how they cant days off at the same time..the attendance policy at caromont is to strict...they treat nurses and doctors better than food service and house keeping..like they dont matter..food service get low graded events..while doctors and nurses get treated like kings and queens...i think everyone should ve treated the same ..ALLL THE WAY AROUND!!
Pros
Pto
Cons
strict attendince policy, poor management, no incentives
great
Access Specialist/UCC (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 30, 2018
nice place to work, teamwork oriented, big on customer service, working with patients and families, I would recommend Caromont as a good place to work
Enjoying helping patients
Tech / UCC (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 22, 2018
Most enjoyable part of my job is being able to be a part of my patients excelling on accomplishments Having knowledge to do my job and .working with great co-workers .
Pros
Discounts on Uniforms
Cons
short breaks
Great company to work for.
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCOctober 16, 2018
Great environment and wonderful people to work with. Caromont was a really good company to work for. I enjoyed working for the best doctors in Shelby, NC.
The most enjoyable part of the job
House Supervisor/Bed Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 16, 2018
To be able to arrive at work and feel like that I am working with family. The management teams make sure all employees have a voice in the area they work. The culture of the organization is all about teaching and learning new and inventive ways to be the best at what we do.
Pros
Feeling of working with family. You always have a voice.
Cons
Not enough educational classes given.
Okay
MA II (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 10, 2018
I worked long hours with patients coming in all day long. I was responsible for intaking patients and assisting the PA that worked for the urgent care. Training is great, employment benefits were good.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
The PA was the worst
Caromont is a good place to work for the most part
Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Caromont Cares.. for their patients but not necessarily for their employees. They have a no tolerance policy on absences. They don't care if youre sick, have a family emergency etc, you can bet theyre gonna count it against you
Opinion
Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCSeptember 25, 2018
I wasn't at this company long but the time I spent there was a true pleasure and helped me advance in the medical field. Nothing major made me leave aside from the drive to work and the lack of pay raise.
Pros
enviroment; coworkers; culture
Cons
pay was rough; travel (personal choice)
I like it
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCSeptember 25, 2018
Its a nice place to work. I love the doctors patients and the staff. I would like more pay but overal it is a great place to work for. I would recommend it .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caromont. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight