Carpenter Technology Corporation Employee Reviews

Money over family
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 7, 2019
If you seek a way to make 100k a year and dont mind missing out on every family event and plan then this is the job for you. Surprise 12 hour shifts. Surprise working holiday weekends. It is easy to feel burned out.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else.
Productive work schedule
Metllugical Tehnician IV (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 26, 2019
My typical day starts by checking with our manufacturing systems to make sure orders are up to date and moving through the process freely.
I feel management is distracted by the demands of the executive group, leaving little time to support their direct reports.
The culture of the company has become a bit disjointed and functions less holistically than in the passed.
The most difficult part of my job is not feeling like a cohesive company, but functioning more as individual groups focused on individual goals.
The most enjoyable part of my job are my direct coworkers. We support one another quite well, helping each other complete goals that ultimately helps each member.
Pros
401K retirement match benefit
Cons
Disconnected executive group
Long hours great pay
Va saw operator (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 19, 2019
Great place to work if you want a lot of money. Your gonna work 7 days a week but you get paid very good and for the most part no job in there is physically demanding.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours no weekends off
If you don't care about family, it would be a great place to make money
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 7, 2019
I have found it to be very stressful, no human factor, management can use some backbones.
The culture is very diversified.
The hardest part of the job/jobs is being safe at all times. If you are not always on the ball with thoughts and paying attention at all times of the day, you may get hurt very easily. Working long hours and little time off, makes for an accident waiting to happen.
Most enjoyable part is getting a paycheck, and leaving for the day!
Great place to work IF....
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAFebruary 4, 2019
Great place to work if you want to be lied to about improving ylirself and moving up in company...will offer you what they said they would when you put in your 2 weeks...great plqce to work if you want to love there ..great place to worl if you ha e no family or life....hire more people to deal with computer system then on the floor
Pros
Alot of ot
Cons
Live there
no work life balance
Operations (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 3, 2019
There is zero work life balance at carpenter. you are expected to work 6 or 7 days every week even as a salaried employee. Constant cut throat, club mentality. That's just the way we do it kind of thing. Unwilling to change
If you arent in dire straits dont work here!
No one important (Former Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 13, 2018
Was once a top place to work. Its now a 3rd world counrty sweat shop. Swing shift, 80 plus hours a week.

Employee policy doesnt exist unless its to benifit share holders. Ethics in general are gone by all upper management. You never know when you have to work so home life is just a place to sleep. Sub standard medical benifits that are way over price as to other companies.

Employeees are only guarenteed 2 full weekends off a yr. Vacation can not be used on weekends only week days. Any raise given each yr is usually offest by a rise in benifit costs.

I wouldnt let my worst enemy work here let alone someone i care for. Most medical professionals in the area of reading plant tell thier patients to find other work if they care about their health.
Pros
Cons
If you value your life dont work here.
Internship
ENGINEERING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 6, 2018
I interned here and enjoyed my involvement in learning and contributing to the company. I got a nice mix of being in an office and out on the production floor.
Ran by dummies
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 1, 2018
Absolutely the worst company in berks county they only thing they have to offer is 25 plus dollars an hour that's it they will work you 7 days a week 12 hrs a day all ur vacation days will be denied coworkers will throw you under the bus to save themselves Supervisors and upper management r lazy to help or care about the guys on the floor and don't forget about SAFETY
SAFETY FIRST, MORE LIKE DONT GET EVEN IF UR IN HARMS WAY OR U WILL GET FIRED OR PUT ON A STEP. THIS PLACE IS AN ABSOLUTE dummy SHOW GUYS ON THE FLOOR R OVERWORKED AND UNDER APPRECIATED DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT WORKING HERE
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything about is terrible
They don’t mess with u
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Midland TXNovember 16, 2018
They hire u for a position they promise to give u then once hired on everything is a lie don’t fall for it just pick somewhere else to work unless u want to b lied too
Pros
Good pay Good insurance
Cons
Managers lie
Great company ruined by bad executive management
Inspector General (Current Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 6, 2018
I enjoy my current position and the responsibilities of my position. There is 0 moral at the Reading facility. Overtime is excessive for no reason. The company management continues to take away any time off. There is no work /life balance.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Toxic Environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALOctober 26, 2018
I would describe the environment as a bullying like atmosphere. The worst training i have ever received at a job with the most accountability on knowing procedures that you are not sure about. And if you make a mistake on something you haven't been trained well enough to understand you get cursed at by supervisor and or fired!! The top out is 17.75 an hour for being belittled by leadership and not shown any respect by management. HR at this company gives the supervisors full control over their department with no limits on how they treat employees!! Please do not waste your time or put yourself in a situation to be employed here!!
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Not for everyone
Machine Operator / Carpenter Technology (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 15, 2018
Not for me. aside from the pay I struggle to find anything else nice to say about it. If you don't want to have a life this would be a great place to work.
Pros
Money
Cons
No work life balance
Good Benefits, but too busy for good training
Specification/Quality Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 15, 2018
My position involved detailed abstracting and there were many interpretations pertaining to the same thing. No clear guideline to follow. Must have photographic memory to do well in the position.
Awful, Hostile, psychopath for a plant manager
Employee (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 14, 2018
All I can say is Corporate greed is the flavor, regardless of the employees health and well being. The plant manager operates on fear and intimidation.He is a bully and has gotten physical with employees, male and female. One of said employees , a female, was assaulted ,In an office setting, the authorities were called and he was charged with assault, or so it would seem, he's still there but said employee is not. Hmmmm, funny how that works.
The safety culture consists of don't get hurt, but work 7 days, 12 hours, and being exhausted is not a reason to be unsafe. If you get hurt its your fault.Even if you do get hurt at work, claim denied.
The only thing worth showing up to work for is the wages and health coverage.
Otherwise it is a hostile environment. Go somewhere else.
Pros
wages, benefits
Cons
long hours daily and weekly, no work life balance whatsoever
Good place to work.
Assistant to Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 8, 2018
It's a good place to work.The pay is very good.The 401K is great.You do have a lot of mandatory overtime. The management when I worked there was very up front whit the production workers when it came to business conditions in the industry.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Rotating shifts, too much mandatory overtime.
Average
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 26, 2018
Challenging work environment and good pay and benifits but job is harder than it needs to be due to several futile initiatives by management to control and micro manage.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Demanding
Long hours with different shifts and hard to work with management
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 22, 2018
The job is great for people who want to make a lot of money but are willing to work long hours 7 days a week. Definitely not a job for someone who has a family and kids.
Lead Senior Programmer Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 1, 2018
Fantastic company, look forward to working for them in the future. Hard working Team with great vision as to how to get things done. Carpenter has been there forever and will be there for a long time. They continue to grow and stay in front of the curve.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Outdated office
Very stressful
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 18, 2018
Very stressful management doesn't make it better just harder for us keep changing requirements and responsible but pay doesn't increase they think you can do everything at the snap of your finger

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carpenter Technology Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight