Carriage Services

United States68 reviews

Carriage Services insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Rewarding

Very rewarding career field. Largest location in the area. Not your typical 9-5. It is a sales position. Comission percentage are pretty good. Beautiful Funeral Home.

Once every couple of months they will hire a taco wagon to prepare lunch for everyone

start the day off with a mandatory 8:30 meeting . You learn who was interned in the evening, who is going to get cremated or buried that day or week. Who made appointments and what the sales were. Management is only worried about money, they lie, are vindictive to whomever is not in tune with them. The brow beat people they don't like and make it impossible to earn money if they don't like you. Culture is ok but morale is very low. Hardest part of the job is dealing with management, best part of the job is going home.

Pros

Free dinner Tuesday night after mandatory call night. Usually a sandwich of hamburger.

Cons

Brow beating and managers not being truthful and no support and no training.

A wonderful culture and environment

The culture of Carriage is what I appreciate the most not to mention the pay and benefits are remunerative . The atmosphere created by management inspires you to be great. My colleagues are helpful, friendly and truly pleasant to interact with. I enjoy coming to work and the day flies by because of that.

Family Oriented

Great place to work. Very family oriented with a meaningful purpose for the work you do. The location is also fantastic. You're close to any and everything you could ever need.

Pros

Family and goal oriented with room for growth.

Better than the larger corporations, but still a corporation

For the most part, my time with Carriage Services was good. It was FAR batter than the other, "larger" corporation I had worked for previous, seeming to run a bit more like the funeral homes were privately owned. I appreciated the benefits that being a part of a larger entity could afford as well. Of course though, there were negative too. You had to play the "corporate game" to make sure you were meeting certain marks, which I mostly did naturally through just being genuine with the families I served, but I also didn't care for the fact that you had to worry if you didn't meet some high mark. I will probably always choose a family or privately owned funeral home to work for in the future, but the growth I made through my time with them only helped me be better going forward.

Pros

Growth opportunities and benefits

Cons

Playing the corporate game

Carriage Services is a great organization to work for

I recently retired at age 70 after 22 years employment with Carriage Services (Kent-Forest Lawn Funeral Home) in Panama City, FL. Having worked with family owned firms, it was an absolute pleasure to work for a corporation. The management, benefits, and working conditions were superior. Benefits were much greater than family firms; overtime, bonus, paid vacation, 401k, health, life, vision, and disability coverage were all offered at a reasonable rate. Working conditions were good; long hours are a part of our industry. Our manager was dedicated to making KFL the best it could be, and our performance and market share proved it. I would highly recommend Carriage Services and Kent-Forest Lawn.

Pros

Good working conditions, compensation, benefits and management.

Cons

Long hours and the stress of dealing with the bereaved families. Part of the job.

Excellent Company to Work For!

Overall this is an excellent company to work for. The upper management truly trusts and empowers local management to make decisions and provide quality service.

Pros

Support; Benefits

Cons

Can't think of any

Average Job

Job is average. I work at a location and there are several issues that management does not address and honestly corporate doesn't care either. You are not paid your value - underpaid and overworked.

It's corporate funeral service.

It's corporate funeral service, and they pride themselves to be lower case c in corporate. I think they have less oversight, and management has more options. However, the budget to maximize profits is the most important thing, and that's going to be the determining factor before anything else. Executives praise the "good to great journey" that like the book is old and praises companies like Wells Fargo that have since gone from great to disgrace by putting greed first. Lower pay, smaller staffs, and higher prices that lead to lower quality are the foundation of corporate funeral service.

Pros

Helping families.

Cons

Expensive benefits for only full-time, profits first, and lower pay brings on lower quality support.

Happy with management

I am part of the family that previously owned the funeral home I work at before Carriage came in and I am happy with how they've maintained the business especially with the management they have brought into the building

Pros

Great management

Cons

Some poor staff choices

Don’t Do It!

As a family service counselor at Carriage Services you will be a second class citizen. The corporation is unwilling to invest a dime in you. You will not receive any benefits such as paid vacation, sick leave, or holidays. You will not receive location performance bonuses that other positions do. Your compensation will be based on a draw against a reserve where you are basically lending money to yourself. There are too many better opportunities elsewhere. Don’t do it.

Good pay, but extremely understaffed

I worked for Carriage for 19 years, and made good money and had decent benefits. However, I could never take days off or vacation time, because there was no one to cover for me. I was on call 24/7 and had to work sick, etc. They use you up and spit you out. There's no loyalty with this company. Management is focused on sales. That's all the training is focused on...how to get the most money out of every client during an emotional time. I felt pressured the whole time and they offered little support.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Understaffed locations

Questionable screening/ hiring process

Zero follow up from the company after an interview. Lack of structure during the interview. Common professional courtesy is to at least advise a candidates on where they stand - no communication.

Excessive turnover, poor management

Constant turnover. Horrible management and culture. They expect you to canvass and farm for prospects without any financial assistance. Straight commission job yet w2 employee status. Do not waste your time.

Positive

I began my funeral service career at Carriage. Excellent learning experience. I was able to work with seasoned professionals who taught me about the industry beyond the text book.

Productive workplace

its a great place to work, friendly work place. learned team work and be able to help co workers. Research work to better assist customers into finding loved ones.

Horrible corporate place to work

Absolutely most worthless place I've ever worked! Don't walk from this job offer - run! Run fast! They go thru people faster than stiffs coming in their door.

one of my favorite places to work

Challanging well rounded position. Learned all the rolls in our office. My supervisor was always willing to teach me. would like to work for them again.

Supportive company. Strives to be the best.

Over the years that I've worked for the company, I've been provided the opportunity to continue my career progression and grow both personally and professionally. Supportive staff at the locations helps the homes to be successful and those assisting at the corporate office/level aim to be there for you in any way that they can. Trying to accomplish everything that needs to get done can be difficult, but you do the best that you can. Along with updating corporate initiatives to follow the trends and needs of the consumer, there still needs to be continuous reinvestment in the buildings, grounds, and staff.

Pros

Support network of knowledgeable staff

Cons

Need to focus on work/life balance

Carriage's priority are their people

There was a point when I decided to conclude my path in funeral service. It was through the support and confidence from the leadership at Carriage that my passion for service has been rekindled and my family and myself have never experienced more joy and support that we have these last four years. I look forward to a lasting partnership with everyone I get to work with from Carriage Services.

Backstabbing environment

You would hear your very own co-workers that you worked very hard to help out talk disrespectfully about you and others behind their backs especially about previous employees who left. No matter how many big things you did the upper management would only recognize the one minor thing that didnt get done. Families would compliment you for everything you did and other co workers would try to steal the credit and make you look bad. Racist and repulsive topics of conversation went on behind closed doors and workers would make fun of people there who were grieving or mourning if they were dressed or looked a certain way. So much cussing and temper tantrums thrown by grown adult people that it was just mind blowing and numbing. Every day there was drama. Big turnover lately.

Pros

Helping families through funeral services

Cons

No accountability for behavior

Common questions about Carriage Services

Answered by current and former employees at Carriage Services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carriage Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
4.5Career Opportunities
3.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight