Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC Employee Reviews

Lack of support and understanding at the executive level
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 13, 2018
This is the worst leadership I've ever had in over 30 years in the work force, specifically 25+ years in the corporate banking and finance industries.
Cons
Basically a sweat shop with good compensation
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 12, 2018
I knew this going in and worked long and hard to make good money for two years. I’ve heard the comp is less competitive now. Sr management turned over several times during my short gig, so there was some upper management toxicity passed down. When the market slowed I was glad to be let go in one of the several recent company wide layoffs.

Tough company to work for, so just know what you’re in for before you sign up.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Sweat shop environment and awful parking situation
Paycheck Job
Senior Mortgage Underwriter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INNovember 6, 2018
Con: Company location not practical very rural and remote. Pros: Compensation on the high scale to compensate for companies deficiencies in other areas.
Refer to below.
Retail Underwriting Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 30, 2018
CMS was extremely focused on customer service but at the expense of making unrealistic productivity standards of the operations teams. There was a disconnect at a senior management level with respect to overtime allocation through out the month and not just two days at the very end of the month and holding all team members accountable and not just a few.
They did not compensate for a job well done.
Default Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INOctober 18, 2018
They did not compensate for a job well done. Promotions didn’t come with much compensation. More responsibility and no extra money. Employees were not given fair evaluations with pay increases.
Productive and fun place with basketballs games carrington bucks
Bankruptcy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 18, 2018
Carrington is a great comp[any to work for. I learned the different laws of the mortgage industry of all the other states. My hardest part of my job was learning the different verbiage on not failing the QC calls. My team was the most important part of my day.
Flexible hours for part timers
Assistant Field Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 11, 2018
Hours were reasonably flexible, especially so while going to school. The culture was welcoming. But management and instructions were sometimes unclear
Pros
Flexible hours for part timers
Cons
Management sometimes unclear
Good Mortgage Job
Bankruptcy Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 9, 2018
I enjoyed working bankruptcy files, and Carrington Mortgage was a good place to work. The schedule was flexible and the work life balance was fine. The pay was good.
Pros
High paying salary.
Cons
No procudures or ergonomics.
Not a Great place
MORTGAGE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INSeptember 25, 2018
Management was not truthful. No defined training programs. I was cut out of incentives and overtime. Nothing real positive. I signed on to become an Underwriter with the understanding that there would be training, nothing happened towards that end. I would say if you go to work for them watch you back.
no summary
Quality Contol Analyst (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CASeptember 24, 2018
Too top heavy, no raises, no cost of living increase. My department very much into Micro managing with very little autonomy. As stated in the Cons, we haven't had a raise in this department for over 3 years.
Pros
11 paid holidays
Cons
Very top heavy company, No raises in 3 years
Great people, but horrible management
Dispute Correspondence Research Writer (Current Employee) –  Westfield, IN 46074September 20, 2018
I want to start by saying the people at Carrington are great! I truly like every single one of my co-workers, and I'm always sad to see one go. Carrington really does have a great and friendly work environment. We have team pitch-ins, and everyone celebrates birthdays (and really any other reason to celebrate).

However, there are some serious issues with the way the company is managed. They take on massive loan acquisitions at one time, but don't preemptively hire workers to take on the load. Instead, they just force their employees to work faster and for longer hours. Then, when mistakes happen, they blame said employees. Many of my co-workers have to stay two extra hours every day to get their work finished, which is ridiculous when you hired in as a 40 hour employee. To be fair, they do pay overtime, so there's that.

This is not a short term problem. My department is regulated by a federal agency (CFPB), and even we can't get the assistance we need. They refuse to hire new people until the department is literally drowning. Even then, they will hire one to two new workers, when the department really needs five.

I don't think upper management has any idea of what the lower employees actually do, so they think everything's fine. The managers who work directly with the lower employees are too scared to go to upper management and demand changes. Either that, or the CEO and president genuinely do not care about us.

To be clear, the disparity is so large that upper management has told us to cut back on overtime hours. Yeah, "you can't work so many overtime
  more... hours, but you have to get all of your work done before you're allowed to leave. Also, make sure your quality control is above 90%, or you'll be reprimanded".

Time is not the only management issue. As I stated, they take on massive loan acquisitions. Many of these acquisitions have loan types that Carrington has never serviced before, so the workers have literally no idea how to service them. So a borrower is transferred to us and wants to make a payment, but they can't because we don't know how to take their payment. The training material comes out several weeks after the transfer. It's a huge issue, and I'd like to speak to the guy who buys all of these loans without having a single clue what they are.

In short, it's a fun place to work, because the people are great, but you'll burn out from the stress in 2-3 years. That's how long everyone in my department has lasted.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
horrible management
Very High paced and stressful
Assisting borrowers (Former Employee) –  Fishers, IN 46037September 20, 2018
Alot of changes, mandatory overtime alot, very very unorganized... Attendance policy changes, however bonuses were great!! Paid time off great, vacation and medical Benefits Wonderful.. Carrington is a place I think for more so Younger Employees just trying to find they're career Nitch...
Pros
Bonues
Cons
Lack of Management skills
Established Company
Senior Funder (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 20, 2018
Ever evolving established company that celebrates excellent customer service. Superior Management teams that focus on customer and employee satisfaction.
Sad Place to Work
Foreclosure Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Carrington Mortgage has ridiculous policies. You are not allowed to have a foot rest without a doctor's note. Even though it's well known that elevating your feet will reduce swelling and the likelihood of blood clots for all people. Also, you are not allowed to have a heating blanket or a heating pad. Carrington Mortgage claims that there was a fire risk due to the plug. Well Carrington, everything in that building is ran off the plugs. The microwave is more likely to burst into flames than the heating blanket. A computer is more likely to blow up during one of your power shortages. It was just another excuse to micromanage. -- This company is downsizing. If you make over $40,000 a year your head is on the chopping block.--Management is always negating. If you say the sky is blue they will argue that it is green. They like to ask for feedback and then shoot it down, constantly. Better off just keeping your mouth shut and nodding your head. --No raises or promoting.-- The company treats Employee Appreciation Day like just another day on the calendar.
Pros
Good PTO.
Cons
Condescending management, ridiculous policies, low Employee Appreciation.
Interesting experience....
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 13, 2018
This is not the company for experienced professionals, as executive management doesn't appreciate any of that goes with an experienced professional. Most negative staff level folks I've worked with.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Productive and fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 6, 2018
All in all good company to work for. There was just to much favoritism in certain areas where individuals who didn’t perform the work received high praises or promotions versus the ones who did the actual job.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible schedules
Cons
Favoritism in certain areas
Corporate culture very stiff
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CASeptember 5, 2018
Based on my personal experience, the company itself is reputable, however, the corporate culture within the finance and accounting department culture was somewhat stiff.
Poor Management Skills
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INSeptember 3, 2018
Carrington used to be a good place to work until they started making changes. Have had 2 large layoffs in the last six months. Management is like the blind leading the blind
Pros
Pay, poor management
Cons
management, lack of communication
Upper management lies to your face
Operations (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INAugust 29, 2018
Upper management is terrible but some coworkers that work there are great. There is no sense of value from the higher ups and nepotism is rampant. I would not recommend working here as the company has done three sets of major lay offs in the past year.
Pros
Cons
Under paid, they won’t match the 401k, and keep delaying merit increases that were supposed to be at the beginning of the year
Poor leadership and work/life balance
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 20, 2018
A typical day at the office varies on a daily basis. They can change your job function whenever they choose and they do not offer a reasoning behind it. I have not really learned anything new except for their policy and procedures. If you are not a favorite for management, then you are left to fend for yourself. Management follows whatever rules they choose. The culture is very low. Leadership and lower management cannot give you straight answers on why somethings are done the way they are. They ask for your opinions on process improvement and ways to make the company better, but the opinions are not taken into account and are overlooked on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. They set unrealistic expectations on the employees that are not favorites and then wonder why we do not reach them. They state that we all work as a team, but you very rarely see a team lead or manager jump in to help out on special projects. They state that they only hire people with some mortgage experience, but that is not true. Vast majority of employees do not have experience but are ranked above the individuals that do. Leadership/management wonders why morale is so low, but when they ask us why they do not want to fully listen or take our advise into consideration.
Pros
Own cube space, multiple monitors to work off of, not a lot of pros
Cons
High stress level, poor communication, management doesn't want you to interact with others

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.