cars.com Employee Reviews

Greatest job in the world
Digital Media Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 29, 2018
My time at Cars is by far the best career move I ever made. The culture is amazing, the co-works are friends and the support you get from management and training are far better than any other company I have ever worked for in my 20 years in the business. Upper management knows you by name. Not sure if they are quizzed on this but it's true, no matter your location in the country, they know you and care about what you bring to the company. You are a person, not a number and your value is important.
Pros
work/life balance, culture, support, education, fast pace work, ever changing, you never get bored
Cons
Career advancement is slow
A great place to start out
Senior Editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2018
Cars.com was a great place for young people to begin building a career. There was plenty of flexibility offered and great teammates. Management and company culture changed over the years.
competitive company in the online marketplace
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
Cars.com was a great palce to work. However I actually worked for the Newspaper who was the Franchisee of cars,com and there was no opportunity for advancement. Very competitive and overall was a good place to work.
Pros
time spoent in the filed with accounts
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Great people
Strategic Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 22, 2018
Cars.com was a great place to work with a great culture. The CEO was very hands-on and you could talk to him whenever he had the time. The company may have changed a little since going public.
Cool Automotive Company
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia,PASeptember 10, 2018
Cars.Com was a good company. Depending on what you want out of the company. If yu work hard and stay closely to management you can go far. Remotely working.
Pros
remote
Cons
unrealistic quotas
Overall, a great company with good life/work balance
Digital Media Senior Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioMay 5, 2018
Great work/life balance
Product suite is only ok
Compensation can vary
Pressure to sell as in any sales job
Good management that tries to support you
Still a fun place to work, but headed downhill
Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2018
Cutbacks in the last few years have made this a far less enjoyable place to work. Employees are no longer valued and are easily replaceable. Job security is almost non-existent. The culture in the office, however, is relaxed and coworkers are nice. Lower-management seems to be supportive, helpful and overall really great, but sales and the almighty dollar rule the roost now for the organization as a whole.
Good company- no growth opportunity
Digital Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2018
Good company- undergoing many changes. No opportunity for advancement- earning cap- company very bogged down in procedural protocol- which is hurting their business- while you have freedom- you can not make the money there that you should be making. Limited growth potential. Dated software.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
earning cap- company bogged down by procedural gridlock
great opportunity
Automotive Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2018
I was a great opportunity working as as outside sales rep with cars.com handling medium size to franchise dealerships.
I learned and was exposed to digital marketing
Management was fair
workplace was satisfying
the biggest challenge were competing providers
i found working out in the field very satisfying
innovative
Digital Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 2, 2018
great culture of innovation with rapid growth gives this company the feel of an upstart, which is exciting. but at 20 years old the organization needs more support and better communication between ops and sales.
Good Place to Work
Inside Sales Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2018
Good company with a fast paced environment. If you are willing to relocate you can grow your career fast with the company and have the opportunity to make good money. Growing at a face pace so you need to be able to deal with ambiguity. Those who are able to be creative and take initiative can be very successful.
Pros
Good Benefits, Transparent Leadership
Cons
Need to be willing to relocate
Great Starter Career
Digital Media Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2018
This is a great place to start work right out of college, but plan to move on rather quickly. Poor poor management. Lots of favoritism. If you are into that and like to play the teachers-pet.. this is the place for you.
Pros
Work From Home-Flexible Hours
Cons
Favortism- Poor Management
When I joined Cars.com it was owned by five newspaper companies. As newspapers started to decline due the internet the job became less enjoyable.
Digital & Print Media Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 9, 2018
I worked out of the Charlotte Observer's downtown offices. I sold Cars.com products to local dealerships. As the decline of the newspaper occurred over the years due to the internet I was expected to sell print advertising and newspaper website advertising, some of which I personally didn't feel benefited my customers. Our sales goals were constantly changing, sometimes halfway through goal period. When the opportunity came up that allowed me to move, I took it.
Pros
My customers and co-workers
Cons
The decline of the newspaper industry
Terrible
Account Manager, Direct (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2018
Terrible management, Extremely High Turnover rate, Lack of diversity, Salary range much lower than market average and yet the workload is much greater. Not a company that you would like to grow with from a career standpoint.
ZERO Transparency
Great work life balance
Digital Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 20, 2018
Typical day is seeing dealerships, both doing service and sales duties. The most enjoyable part of this job would be my customers and also the work life balance.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Alot of Driving
Exciting and face paced place to work
Digital Media Senior Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJanuary 17, 2018
The job entailed prepping and planning the day. Running reports for clients and showing the value of the products the client had. Applying listening skills to see what the client needs are without them having to ask. Working with great management on all levels to help maintain a great working relationship. It was a very interesting place to work. Hardest part of the job was having to deal with cancellations from clients. Most enjoyable part was seeing the clients be successful.
Pros
Making great relationships with clients and co-workers.
Cons
Never experienced any Cons.
n/a
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2018
I have learned a lot in this role but I would like to go further. Ideally, I would like to transition to a job that is more directly related to accounting
Productive and good work place
Sales Manager | The News Tribune (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 29, 2018
Great training. Highly motivated company. Continued to provide new products annually. Company provided quarterly bonuses. Training involved trainers traveling to properties. We were assigned affiliate managers who were in contact weekly and continued to provide support.
Pros
Training
Cons
I worked as a franchise with the News Tribune
Great place to work!
Corporate Finance Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2018
Cars.com is a great place to work and I really hate to move on but I need a little advancement and there is none in my department at the moment. Car.com is one of the best places you will ever want to work.
Pros
Great People
Great place to start
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
Cars.com is a great company for young people to begin their careers. There is a lot of growth opportunities for data or product driven people. There is also a lot of career development options for those that want to do be propelled to leadership or management.

There is a lot of micro-management at times to drive big business practices and low communication between departments. There is also a lot of reliance on individual contributors, which is a great opportunity for people to learn. The culture is also very young and fun. People make life long friends here, and you have the ability to interact with senior leadership openly and your opinions are valued. Overall, I recommend starting your career here.
Pros
Outings, rewards and recognition, fun environment, open door policy
Cons
Compensation low, micro-management