Carter Lumber Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It was laid back team oriented environment
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 4, 2018
Was a good job i enjoyed working with the team every body was cool and made me feel like part of the team. Driving forklift is something i like to do.
Laid back/ no advancing
DOOR ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INMay 29, 2018
I worked in the door department so it was laid back easy work as well assembling doors, cutting heads, as well stops, and assembling casing. Management does need improvement, can be very unorganized.
Pros
8 hour day shift, good coffee
Cons
poor management, no room for advancing
Productive but always go,go
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, NCMay 8, 2018
Always just another day at work.. If we out did the budget then we might get to do a cook out for the employees. Have very good employees that work for me. Hard works and could depend on them day in day out!
Great place to work, but pay is low and you have to resort beg for a raise. The management is terrible withthe exception of the first shift supervisor
Builder (Former Employee) –  Newton Falls, OHApril 24, 2018
It was a nice place to work with steady hours and loads of overtime in the summer. The first shift supervisor is the only good boss you'll find in the whole place though. You'll never even seethe plant manager.
Pros
Two paid breaks
Cons
Short breaks, too many temps
Not The Best Place To Work
Truss Assembler (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 17, 2018
On my typical day it would be from 6am-4pm.
The management doesn't care about you here, with employees who are asking for their time off and vacation but getting no acknowledgement or always being turned down.
Its ONLY about production here and expect to work on Fridays each week, even though they'll tell you it isn't a normal thing.
They moved me 6 times during my first two days here and I couldn't keep pace or retain certain aspects of an area without being moved. I was moved around so much within my employment there that it became infuriating because I starting to actually get decent at an area just to be moved.
NO paid breaks and a half hour lunch.
Overall, the only positive thing about this job was the overtime ( even though its stressful ) and some co-workers.
Pros
Decent amount of Overtime
Cons
Long hours, Poor managment, Short Lunch, Stressful, All about production
Decent place to work
Outside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHApril 13, 2018
Carter lumber was a decent place to work. It’s very quick and fast pace. Always a lot going on at once. I don’t have anything bad to say about the company.
Cons
Expensive health coverage
Competative
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 5, 2018
My experience at Carter Lumber probably would have been better if I didnt have to be at a location that went through 3 GM's within a year and some change.
Untrustworthy Managers
Outside sales rep (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 11, 2018
Management members were very untrustworthy. Co-workers were friendly and worked hard and everybody got along for the most part. I enjoyed working here for the time being.
work
Non CDL Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHMarch 7, 2018
Delivered building materials utilizing a rollback truck with an 18 foot bed. Various weather conditions and it was a high paced job at times especially delivering roofing materials.
Carter lumber
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 25, 2018
I enjoyed working at Carter, but the Knoxville Location shutdown shortly after opening. I guess the location wasn't making enough money to stay open, so they closed it last year
Good job
Outside Contractor Sales (Former Employee) –  NEW MARTINSVILLEFebruary 19, 2018
Great place to work although had to rely on management to make commision and they lined their pockets first.. If you had the right manager it would be a great place to work.
Pros
Great place
Cons
Salary unstable
fun productive workplace
Truss Builder (Former Employee) –  Newton Falls, OHFebruary 12, 2018
a typical day was fairly laid back and every day was a learning experience my supervisor made way with what he could working with older machines that did not have correct safety equipment available
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
machines are old
Working
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 12, 2018
Everyone is friendly
They are always busy
Meet people from all over
Should be bilingual it will help a lot
Discount on the clothes if you have a child
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Not a good pay for the amount of work
Every week people were being laid off or fired
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 7, 2018
This environment of watching employees being routinely let go or laid off was very stressful. They closed the doors within a few months of all this beginning.
Pros
I wasnt micro managed
Cons
I worked 10 hour days, every day with no overtime because I was salary.
Decent place to work
Truck Driver / customer service (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INFebruary 5, 2018
A typical day at work:
Load delivery trucks with lumber or supplies and deliver to customer locations. Load various customer vehicles with lumber or supplies they had purchased. Unload incoming semi-trailers with lumber or supplies for the yard.
No room for advancements
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Winder, GAJanuary 29, 2018
The job needs. more organization and more help for drivers. If they could get dispatch to do a better job at delivery into them it might be a good place to work. Co workers are very friendly and family oriented.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Poor dispatch
great
Warehouse Worker/Driver (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 28, 2018
i loved working here management was great, very fun work environment. if there was one thing i could say i didn't like was the pay. there wasn't very much room to make more money which is the only reason i left. if i would have gotten paid more i would have stayed the rest of my life
Pros
almiost everything
Cons
pay
Cut Throat Environment
Builder/Carpenter, Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Millbury, OHJanuary 25, 2018
Very high turnover rate. Fast paced work, as well as short breaks. We also would work with alot of temps who would come an go. Supervisors play favorites, an hour cuts very frequently.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, Inconsistent hours
Not a very good place to work
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAJanuary 18, 2018
I would rather discuss my experience at Carter at a later date with a potential employer. I don't really want to make my opinion on the place public at this time
Horrible Management
Door & Window Frame Installer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 5, 2018
Large turnover. Poor Management. Very sneaky. They do not care about their workers. Especially those of color. No growth or future opportunities offered.