Carter Lumber Employee Reviews

manufacture of Roof and Floor Truss and prefabed walls
picker, catcher, builder, and stacker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NC 27295September 7, 2018
Production assembly of trusses moderate to heavy lifting hot/cold fast pace work environment . Understanding and reading the use of a measuring tape. Able to use a claw hammer on a daily basis. Trained qualified personnel to operate forklifts on a daily basis. Trained and Qualified personnel to work on and fix broken machinery.
Nice place to work
STORE MANAGER AND OUTSIDE SALES (Former Employee) –  Westville, INSeptember 4, 2018
Laid back in the lumber yard. Everyone seemed to work well together. Stayed late to make sure next day loads were built and out on time. Customers always came back to see you because of the service we providied.
Pros
Great Customer base
Cons
Free time when salary
great place to work with opportunities to gain experience in various areas.
Yard Supervisor / CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 28, 2018
day to day is normally enjoyable. While work is steady, able to do special projects and make changes where applicable. I have had many different experiences while driving, job site deliveries, city deliveries, while challenging, are always a learning experience.
Good group of co-workers. Normal amount of interactive politics.
Management could be more disciplinary. Love my manager. Company has been very good for me professionally as well as personally. Hardest part of job is the physical aspect at times. All in all is a very nice place to work.
Pros
liberal on tardiness and personal time needed.
Cons
do not have annual evaluations and difficult to get pay increases.
Loose Environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Paris, INAugust 12, 2018
Decent place to work for a starter Job, advancement is available if willing to relocate. Typical retail work schedule Sunday and Saturday work hours required.
Not a good place to work
Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shelby, OHAugust 8, 2018
Well, was not given the raise I was promised after my 90 days, and I was also threatened with physical violence because I told someone they weren't doing their job by documenting the pre/post trip inspection, as required by CFR Section § 396.11. I walked out, reported it to the store manager, as well as corporate, and guess who is still working there? Here's a hint: Not me.

Since when is condoning workplace violence a good thing?
This is where all the "B" players go to die.
Pin cushion (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAAugust 5, 2018
Not a good experience. I worked there for about a year. I was hired to turn a department around, after only 3 months they put somebody over me. The success of my department had to rely on other departments that were completely broken. Management set me up for failure. These guys don't care about anything and don't know how to manage. The rule by fear because they lack the proper tools. All of the staff except management are good people.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Everything else.
Good ol' boys club
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAJuly 24, 2018
If you don't fit in with the click, you're gone. Doesn't matter how hard you work, this company is so unethical it's pathetic. Should have a few lawsuits on their hands.
Enjoyed working there
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 22, 2018
I enjoyed working for Carter Lumber. It was a very cohesive team, with good management. The location as a whole had a outstanding and successful team, dedicated to there profession.
Fun and relaxed work environment
Yard Specialist (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHJune 6, 2018
Loved the people, never boring, got in great shape! Pay sucked, and sucked when the weather was bad! Job needs to pay $13+ per hour, not $10 per hour!
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
It was laid back team oriented environment
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 4, 2018
Was a good job i enjoyed working with the team every body was cool and made me feel like part of the team. Driving forklift is something i like to do.
Laid back/ no advancing
DOOR ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INMay 29, 2018
I worked in the door department so it was laid back easy work as well assembling doors, cutting heads, as well stops, and assembling casing. Management does need improvement, can be very unorganized.
Pros
8 hour day shift, good coffee
Cons
poor management, no room for advancing
Productive but always go,go
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, NCMay 8, 2018
Always just another day at work.. If we out did the budget then we might get to do a cook out for the employees. Have very good employees that work for me. Hard works and could depend on them day in day out!
Great place to work, but pay is low and you have to resort beg for a raise. The management is terrible withthe exception of the first shift supervisor
Builder (Former Employee) –  Newton Falls, OHApril 24, 2018
It was a nice place to work with steady hours and loads of overtime in the summer. The first shift supervisor is the only good boss you'll find in the whole place though. You'll never even seethe plant manager.
Pros
Two paid breaks
Cons
Short breaks, too many temps
Not The Best Place To Work
Truss Assembler (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 17, 2018
On my typical day it would be from 6am-4pm.
The management doesn't care about you here, with employees who are asking for their time off and vacation but getting no acknowledgement or always being turned down.
Its ONLY about production here and expect to work on Fridays each week, even though they'll tell you it isn't a normal thing.
They moved me 6 times during my first two days here and I couldn't keep pace or retain certain aspects of an area without being moved. I was moved around so much within my employment there that it became infuriating because I starting to actually get decent at an area just to be moved.
NO paid breaks and a half hour lunch.
Overall, the only positive thing about this job was the overtime ( even though its stressful ) and some co-workers.
Pros
Decent amount of Overtime
Cons
Long hours, Poor managment, Short Lunch, Stressful, All about production
Decent place to work
Outside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHApril 13, 2018
Carter lumber was a decent place to work. It’s very quick and fast pace. Always a lot going on at once. I don’t have anything bad to say about the company.
Cons
Expensive health coverage
Competative
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 5, 2018
My experience at Carter Lumber probably would have been better if I didnt have to be at a location that went through 3 GM's within a year and some change.
Untrustworthy Managers
Outside sales rep (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 11, 2018
Management members were very untrustworthy. Co-workers were friendly and worked hard and everybody got along for the most part. I enjoyed working here for the time being.
work
Non CDL Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHMarch 7, 2018
Delivered building materials utilizing a rollback truck with an 18 foot bed. Various weather conditions and it was a high paced job at times especially delivering roofing materials.
Carter lumber
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 25, 2018
I enjoyed working at Carter, but the Knoxville Location shutdown shortly after opening. I guess the location wasn't making enough money to stay open, so they closed it last year
Good job
Outside Contractor Sales (Former Employee) –  NEW MARTINSVILLEFebruary 19, 2018
Great place to work although had to rely on management to make commision and they lined their pockets first.. If you had the right manager it would be a great place to work.
Pros
Great place
Cons
Salary unstable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carter Lumber. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about