Carter Lumber Employee Reviews

low pay
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INOctober 15, 2018
was a forklift operator for about a year and received no raises or vacation time. management was bad at communicating. long hour working in extreme weather conditions.
Pros
easy work
Cons
low pay. no raises. work in extreme heat and cold
Undesirable and unsafe working conditions
Truss Builder (Former Employee) –  Newton Falls, OHOctober 13, 2018
Most of the workers are hired through a temp agency. The place is full of workers who hardly function due to the adverse affects of drugs and alcohol. Work orders were always being overbooked or we had no work at all, never consistent.
Cons
Drug filled work enviroment
Old School Lumber yard
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chardon, OHOctober 4, 2018
Carter Lumber is not keeping pace with the technology in the industry. They are slowly going away. The high margin walk in business is shopping online, and the builders will follow soon.
Pros
Fuel Card
Cons
Management has never sold
Place that is going out of business
Sales RepresentativeNo advancement (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDOctober 3, 2018
They did nothing to make the business growAnd provided no advancement opportunities and nothing on safety related items was a dangerous place to workCustomers I pick material up all thing got hurt while picking the stuff up and their start of pay rate was terrible
Pros
Cellphone
Cons
No advancement
Management is bad
TRUSS ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 27, 2018
Only work here if you have no other place to work. They treat like you're nothing. There's no respect from management and theres no advancement. If you have a family emergency, they expect you to reschedule the emergency.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
You're not appreciated.
Worked in AR and it was horrible!!
Special Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHSeptember 24, 2018
I was a Special Billing Clerk in the corporate office for 3 months back in 2011 and I was miserable. One of my co-workers was very nasty to me and our manager could hear her doing it and turned a deaf ear to the whole thing. The pay was terrible and most of the employees didn't seem very happy to be working there. I suppose things could have changed since then but I would never even consider working there again.
Pros
close to my house
Cons
nasty coworkers, incompetent managers
Work here if u have no other option unless they change the manager thats there
Lumber Puller/Loader (Former Employee) –  Easley, SCSeptember 17, 2018
This place was fine until they change managers. They had over 25 yard employees and within 2 months 18 of them quit because of the new management and some of these guys had been there for years. The work isn't hard and it was a great atmosphere to work in until the change.
Pros
You got free hats and shirts for work
Cons
Long hours that shouldnt happen... Management is not at its best
manufacture of Roof and Floor Truss and prefabed walls
picker, catcher, builder, and stacker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NC 27295September 7, 2018
Production assembly of trusses moderate to heavy lifting hot/cold fast pace work environment . Understanding and reading the use of a measuring tape. Able to use a claw hammer on a daily basis. Trained qualified personnel to operate forklifts on a daily basis. Trained and Qualified personnel to work on and fix broken machinery.
Nice place to work
STORE MANAGER AND OUTSIDE SALES (Former Employee) –  Westville, INSeptember 4, 2018
Laid back in the lumber yard. Everyone seemed to work well together. Stayed late to make sure next day loads were built and out on time. Customers always came back to see you because of the service we providied.
Pros
Great Customer base
Cons
Free time when salary
great place to work with opportunities to gain experience in various areas.
Yard Supervisor / CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 28, 2018
day to day is normally enjoyable. While work is steady, able to do special projects and make changes where applicable. I have had many different experiences while driving, job site deliveries, city deliveries, while challenging, are always a learning experience.
Good group of co-workers. Normal amount of interactive politics.
Management could be more disciplinary. Love my manager. Company has been very good for me professionally as well as personally. Hardest part of job is the physical aspect at times. All in all is a very nice place to work.
Pros
liberal on tardiness and personal time needed.
Cons
do not have annual evaluations and difficult to get pay increases.

Want to know more about Carter Lumber?

Ask a question
Loose Environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Paris, INAugust 12, 2018
Decent place to work for a starter Job, advancement is available if willing to relocate. Typical retail work schedule Sunday and Saturday work hours required.
Not a good place to work
Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shelby, OHAugust 8, 2018
Well, was not given the raise I was promised after my 90 days, and I was also threatened with physical violence because I told someone they weren't doing their job by documenting the pre/post trip inspection, as required by CFR Section § 396.11. I walked out, reported it to the store manager, as well as corporate, and guess who is still working there? Here's a hint: Not me.

Since when is condoning workplace violence a good thing?
This is where all the "B" players go to die.
Pin cushion (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAAugust 5, 2018
Not a good experience. I worked there for about a year. I was hired to turn a department around, after only 3 months they put somebody over me. The success of my department had to rely on other departments that were completely broken. Management set me up for failure. These guys don't care about anything and don't know how to manage. The rule by fear because they lack the proper tools. All of the staff except management are good people.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Everything else.
Good ol' boys club
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAJuly 24, 2018
If you don't fit in with the click, you're gone. Doesn't matter how hard you work, this company is so unethical it's pathetic. Should have a few lawsuits on their hands.
Enjoyed working there
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 22, 2018
I enjoyed working for Carter Lumber. It was a very cohesive team, with good management. The location as a whole had a outstanding and successful team, dedicated to there profession.
Fun and relaxed work environment
Yard Specialist (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHJune 6, 2018
Loved the people, never boring, got in great shape! Pay sucked, and sucked when the weather was bad! Job needs to pay $13+ per hour, not $10 per hour!
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
It was laid back team oriented environment
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 4, 2018
Was a good job i enjoyed working with the team every body was cool and made me feel like part of the team. Driving forklift is something i like to do.
Horrible workplace
Build roofs (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 31, 2018
The pay was great but the work environment was horrible the supervisor singled out African Americans and picked on them other then that the job was ok
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Horrible supervisors
Laid back/ no advancing
DOOR ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INMay 29, 2018
I worked in the door department so it was laid back easy work as well assembling doors, cutting heads, as well stops, and assembling casing. Management does need improvement, can be very unorganized.
Pros
8 hour day shift, good coffee
Cons
poor management, no room for advancing
Productive but always go,go
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, NCMay 8, 2018
Always just another day at work.. If we out did the budget then we might get to do a cook out for the employees. Have very good employees that work for me. Hard works and could depend on them day in day out!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carter Lumber. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about