Carter Machinery Company Inc Employee Reviews

Great Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2018
One of the most stable companies in the areas. Many of the employees have been here over 30 years. Good work environment. Management treats you like family. Coworkers as well. Would like all of my family to work here if they could.
It was a great place to work
Rental Coordinator, In Store Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 17, 2018
It was a great place to work, just wasn't the best fit for my goals at the time. I would go back to that company if it had an opening in what I was looking for.
One bad apple ruins the bunch
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 10, 2018
Overall a great sompany, one supervisor tends to create more problems then he fixes, although most are small and not an issue occasionally he takes showing passion for your work and wnting to do more as more of an inconvience to him
moved for company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  VASeptember 5, 2017
I had moved my family for the company to head up a store. A year later they decide to close the store. They did not have a position for me. So after 10+years with them I was kicked to the curb....Company thinks about the long run for the company but does not always consider the employees that go the extra mile for the company.
Pros
Great pay, Good people to work with and some managers, Some good Supervisors
Cons
Company does not include the values of the smaller guys like the techs and parts guys.
Extremely Satisfying
DRIVER B (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAAugust 13, 2017
A very good company to work for. if you can make it in the door. people stay here for a long time so it's hard to move around or advance unless someone retires.
Pros
free lunch or breakfast every month, very fair managers
Cons
jobs are pretty straightforward and can get boring.
Good job
PM Technician (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 23, 2017
This company is nothing short of amazing. The owners and people higher up truly care and will know you by name and face. There are so many opportunities available in this company.
Great place to work.
Hydraulic Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Princeton, WVApril 7, 2017
I really enjoyed my career at Carter Machinery Company. I would have probably retired from there if I had not gotten sick. Great company with great pay and benefits
OK place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 30, 2017
Decent place to work, If you can deal with constant communication issues and issues with management.

I work with an awesome group of people in the shop though. Its like a big family, nobody leaves you hanging.
Shop supervisor
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Princeton, WVJune 23, 2016
Workday began at 6am. Meet with all shop employees for a short safety talk. Assigned employees their daily tasked and advised any changes that may be coming that day.

I learned to deal with an ever changing environment and dealing with the general maintenance of a shop and building that size.

We had a great group of employees with a wealth of knowledge, if you were not sure there was always someone to discuss it with.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with a depressed market and keeping the employees productive.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the opportunity to learn other products and processes.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Lack of work
carter cat
Service/Sales Coordinator Quality (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 29, 2016
Honestly one of the absolute best companies to work for. I don't know how the management is now, but when i was there it was awesome. their benefit package was amazing as well
witheld (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 28, 2015
Coworkers are excellent. The company really goes the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction. There are opportunities for advancement if you put in your time.
Excellent company
Machining and Welding Shop Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 13, 2015
Team oriented environment where supervisory staff aim to see new employees develop into experienced and well rounded leaders.
Well organized manufacturer with genuis engineers
Advanced Level Technician (A) (Former Employee) –  Verona, VAANovember 11, 2014
Would set up industrial air conditioners for meticulous testing and data acquisitioning.
I learned so much from the engineers and co-workers especially computers and software design and building as well as industrial controls.
Management were more like mentors and teachers
Hardest part of the job was to be very accurate with the testing
Most enjoyable part was ......everything
Pros
The way people took you under their wing
Cons
Frequent layoffs
All business.
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 9, 2014
Extremely busy and chaotic. Not open to change. Day to day activities are exciting if you like to be challenged.
a real nice place to work
Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VAJune 6, 2014
i managed the warehouse, shipping and receiving parts. filled customer orders, ordered parts for restocking. supported service technicians in parts requests. i learned a lot about parts management. the coworkers were real helpful to me in learning the job. hardest part of the job was it never ended.
most enjoyable was customer service
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
when i had to leave
not a healthy atomshere to work in
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJune 2, 2014
The management is just bad, They speak but don't listen and have major ego problems! There is some good people there to work with but just as many bad people to work with. this company has no problem with conscience or integrity.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
no advancement at all and bad management
Was a very fast paced environment
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salem, VANovember 27, 2013
I had a good solid 27 years at Carter. I came in as an "entry level engine technician" and left as a supervisor that served in 4 different service areas over an 8 year span and learned alot in these various positions.
Pros
Good oppurtunities to learn
Cons
personalities play largely into success
Great Company with good people
Warehouseman/Parts Counter Support (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 13, 2013
Carter was a great place to work and a company I was proud to tell people I worked for. I enjoyed the relationships I formed with co-workers as well as customers. My hard work was rewarded and I would recommend Carter to anyone.
Management is sloppy, blames the new employee for faulty mistakes.
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 24, 2013
Typical day for a "management trainee" is doing the grunt work and paper pushing. If you have a manager like I did who doesn't communicate and never tells you when work has changed you'll be in for a long ride. Also having a manager that sucks up to the Area Manager and is gone half the day doesn't help. Their main concerns are when's lunch? and when does 5 o'clock get here so I can go to Green Top. Other departments were a great bunch of people. If I were you I'd beware of the Area Manager, he's a snake. No training at all. You are put in a seat and given absolutely no direction.

All the technicians were great to work with. They knew when to work and knew how to get the job done.

They let someone go who never called in sick but the person who called in at least three times a month was still employed. Management that was based off relationships with co workers not business.
Pros
Good company overall. Management at Richmond Power that needs some work.
Cons
Horrible upper management, worse managers I've worked for, No training
average place to work
A Class Machinist (Current Employee) –  salem, virginiaJuly 12, 2013
I learned to repair broken equipment for cat parts,
Thing that i don't like is that a lot of precision repairs are without
blueprint, and a lot of guess work comes into play.
When i do a job I want to make sure that its as close ro perfect as possible.
My boss is very good to work for. The job is enjoyable when new parts with dimensions are to be made.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carter Machinery Company Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Carter Machinery Company Inc Reviews by Location