Carters, Inc

Carters, Inc insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Fun place to work

Carter was a fun place to work. Not all the time as a n Asst. Manager were we recognize for the work that we did it would go to the Store Managers instead.

It’s a good starter job, reminds me a lot of high school with all the drama

If you are at the bottom of the food chain it’s going to be super hard but eventually if you can move up things get better. Requesting time off is difficult, always behind on getting new merchandise out.

Pros

Good starter job

Cons

Life revolves around work

Good for your starting out in workforce or for re-entry.

It's retail, so not much to expect. Typical working hours. Convenient location from my home. Worked with some nice people, some managers were easier to get along with them others but that's typical of anywhere.

Run far, far away

I absolutely hated worked here during my years in high school. It was the only job that would hire me and the manager at the time took advantage of that. I was often overlooked and not even given the opportunity to be on cash register. I would have 8+ hour shifts simply folding and fixing clothes. Wasted a lot of time here that could have been spent elsewhere.

Pros

Pros: None

Cons

Cons: Bad management, small breaks

productive, judgemental people

I learned how to customer service and how to markdown and count. really liked the kid environment . the hardest part was when you had to do the same thing over again when there was nothing else to do. loved the manager, but the work environment was very harsh and judgemental.

Pros

good hours

Cons

short breaks, judgmental people

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Employees are treated very well, concerns are listened to and addressed by all in management from Admin to Supervisor to HR.

I loved working at Carter's, it has a family oriented atmosphere, and I wasn't treated just as a number and felt genuinely cared about as a person and not just for the work I did. They give bonuses based on performance, generous PTO and good benefits. My supervisor helped me to advance to a Trainer and I probably could have advanced further with time. I only resigned because of the distance from my house. Awesome place to work, (if you don't mind being on your feet for extended periods of time...10 hour shifts). I would definitely work there again.

Pros

Bonuses for good performance, floating holidays, Pto, gift cards for overtime during peak season, 2 30 min breaks

Cons

On your feet for 10 hour shifts

Great work environment, horrible pay

Working at carters I had a great work environment and flexible schedule but the pay is just horrible living where I live in Miami with a wage of $10 an hour is impossible to live by therefore I had no choice to leave the company. As a retail employee you deal with so many rude customers and the constant folding and refolding clothes and picking up after customers all throughout your shift isn’t worth $10 an hour.

Cons

Low wage

If you’re not good at sales, don’t expect to be given many hours. Good as a second job but not stable.

Loved working there at first. The environment depended a lot on amount of guests. Opening was usually slow and closing was hectic at times. Manager and assistant managers helped and overall friendly coworkers. I left due to management changes and because of the credit card expectations being so high especially in an area that consisted of the customers majority being tourists. Works good as a second job or for extra money since they usually only give 1-2 days a week with 4 hour shifts. They definitely penalize you if you can’t make a shift or don’t sell enough credit cards. Usually in forms of taking hours away. There wasn’t much to gain as employees for selling credit cards. I hated that the new management pushed the credit card so much where it felt like I was harassing the customers after they’d already say “No” 3 times.

Pros

30% discount, flexible schedule, friendly coworkers, fun environment

Cons

Credit card expectations, few hours given

Typical corporate 40 hr a week job

subject describes it perfectly. No innovation or desire to change. It's all about doing things the way theyve always been done. Very resistant to WFH (pre pandemic). very old school.

They won’t pay you on time.

I was working through Integrity at carters, and they didn’t pay me I had to call every week to get paid! Carters blamed it on Integrity and Integrity blamed it on Carters..it was a lot of back and forth and I just couldn’t keep going through that.

Fun and easy

Was an easy job, great place to advance, great management, except for a bad apple here or there. It's a fair place, you do work some holidays but they're aren't usually busy and you're never there for long hours if you do work holidays. Great work, life balance.

Pros

Team work and rewards

Cons

Not alot of hours given or livable wage

High Expectations

I’ve worked with the company for 6 years. The environment is genuinely great to work in. I enjoyed working alongside a lot of the employees and made great friends over the years. However over time my region had hired a new District Manager and work was no longer “fun”. The goals and expectations are way to high for a single days work. The amount of tasking/selling/customer service that NEEDED to get done throughout the day was overbearing and it was ALWAYS an issue if we met every single goal except ONE. The company sets these unrealistic goals and doesn’t pay well enough for each individual to even try to strive for success. The workload is simply too much.

Pros

Friendly environment, benefits

Cons

Heavy Workload, High Business goals

Great 1st job and learn a few things and get experience.

Store managers were fine, except when it came time to pushing their employees to push customers to sign up for the reward program or apply for the credit card.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Getting pushed for people to apply for credit cards

Customers make it worth it

The customers were absolutely the best part of the job! I would have loved to stay longer but unfortunately in my year there, I had 4 different general mangers. The first one was fantastic, but he was so good that he was shipped off to a different store. The next 3 managers were terrible. I also was promised a position the entire time the original manager was there but because of the management switches, I never received the promotion and eventually left due to being left up in the air for so long.

Pros

Customers

Decent place to work

The store isn’t bad, work isn’t hard but I dealt with RUDE management who enjoyed gossiping. I enjoyed working register as my day went by faster and didn’t have to deal with manager’s attitude while doing it.

It was fun when the general manager was not there

There was nothing new.Manager will be rude and take everything personal.Not much benefits It will get busy also you will never clock out the time you were on schedule!!!

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Missed placed all the time

not a job you want to make lots of money

low pay30% off discountrude customersconstantly cleaning storea typical day is you checking out customers, cleaning store, putting returns back, scanning out packages for customers, talking to customers and asking if they need help

Cons

low pay, constantly have to ask customers to apply for credit cards, rude customers

I loved it

I worked here mainly doing stock and I loved it. The hours are great, early mornings and floorset is always fun. I miss it sometimes but this just wasn't my career path. I highly reccomend working here if you love children too!

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Short Breaks

Fun job, slow days

I really enjoyed working with Carters and my team. Growth is not really something I saw much within the company but that's not necessarily a bad thing-- A lot of the managers with the company have been there for many years which of course results in not many opportunities to move up within the company. Unfortunately my location closed and I was not able to get transferred to a different location.

Lost job after a car accident

I loved working here and this was my first independent job at 16x. The managers were fair and respectful. The store was always clean and we all generally cared very much about the products. I lost my job after I was hit by a car as a pedestrian about a year after working here, which was devastating for me. No sense of job security although I frequently kept my manager up to date and was reassured my position would be fine. Overall, great company to work for, although that was almost ten years ago.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Small stock room.

overworked

over worked and under paid. as a manager you end up doing a lot that falls under a higher management position and you are not paid for it. while the higher manager who should be doing it sits in the office.

Pros

can be fun depending on who you work with

Cons

short to no break

Common questions about Carters, Inc

Answered by current and former employees at Carters, Inc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carters, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight