CARVANA Employee Reviews

Hired for 3 hours
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2019
I went through the hiring process with Carvana for 2 and half months. After phone interviews and in person interviews. I was sent a generic email saying I was not selected for the position. Ok, I moved on. Then, a month later I saw that they posted the position again. So, I applied.

Again, I went through the phone interviews and video interview. Now they have a new HR person who said I would be great for the position that I would fit right in and that I have the right personailty. I spoke with the VP of Operations who also liked me enough I guess. I was given a conditional offer and then an actual offer of employment.

Less than 4 hours later....The new HR person called me and said I would not fit into their culture and I was impatient. Wait What? Almost 6 months in the hiring process and I am impatient?

I think this company who is trying to break into a market area should get their stuff together. Its almost like they are in constant state of chaos and no one to control it. Everyone who I spoke with there seemed to be upbeat but, also hesitant about making a decision.

Empower your people to do their jobs. That is an essential aspect in any profitable company. Let people make decisions, let them fail. Teach them better ways....Good Luck
Caravan is not a diversity company
Carvana (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 6, 2019
the company and there hr department does not hire people that have experience in the field they are not a diversity company People apply that have experience they always by pass
Car hauler
Car Hauler (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 3, 2019
Good company to work for for carhauler. Little bit under paid but the job not stressful. Employees are very helpful and team player. You are salary, company paid Health insurance and plenty days off. The only I do complain about is the start time but I understand why, when you part of the relay.
Pros
good coworkers, company paid health Inc.
Cons
start time
Loved the company but went downhill real quick
Customer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 3, 2019
Carvana was the first job I’ve had where I said “I want to retire here.” Wonderful place to work, great coworkers, and the atmosphere there is great! Think of it as a google type of work place. I only worked there for about 7 months and here is why; the management at Carvana accused me of stealing by using a coupon for a free meal that they provided to us when I was first hired back in March of 2018. Now, the coupon worked when I used it on the food delivery website therefore I went ahead and used it but I had no idea it was expired. Therefore once Carvana was charged for the meal since I used it, had had emailed me and pulled me into a meeting to ask why I used that coupon since it was expired. I explained to them that it was given to me and that if I was not suppose to use it I’d pay them back which was no problem. It felt like they didn’t even care about what I said and without me having any warnings or write ups they had already made the decision of firing me. Carvana is a great place to work for but be careful they might fire you over 15 dollars and put you into financial difficulties.
Pros
Free food, good pay
Cons
Bad management
Not a good company
INVENTORY ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAJanuary 2, 2019
Very poor management and very poor HR department. They don’t care about their workers all they care about is how they look and their pockets. I would not recommend this company to any of my friends. I would not even recommend anyone buying a car from them after seeing the way they do things.
A day at Carvana
Technician (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZDecember 31, 2018
My schedule is from 3:30pm - 2:00am Monday - Thursday and typically madatory overtime Friday 3:30 - 9:00pm. Great work atomsphere with helpful co-workers to help you along the way.
Pros
Pay for you health care monthly (employee only)
Good Company with Understandable Growing Pains
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 22, 2018
Carvana is a very driven company with values that cascade from the top down. The staff are sincerely bought into the idea that they are changing the landscape of the auto industry (which it appears they are) through their customer-centric attitude. Additionally, you will have the pleasure of working with some of the most intelligent and talented people in Phoenix.

However, this also acts as a double-edged sword as the C-Level believes they can think their way out of any situation vs. relying on the experienced people they hired to lead their own teams. This often resulted in aggressive tactics to change operations that fell flat.

Ultimately, it had minimal impact on operations and acted merely as an annoyance more than anything else. I see the company continuing to gain market share and changing the way people buy cars.
New manager sucks
Car hauler (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZDecember 12, 2018
Been there now almost a year and the new manager they hire really doesn’t much about car hauling. Over heard him talking bad about the drivers. He’s a poor manager.
Pros
Benefits and the food
Cons
Manager, pay
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 11, 2018
Great office environment for the most part. As any company of that size things can get pretty political at times. Just be there to learn and help change up the way things are done in an old industry and you're good to go!
Carvana Cares
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2018
If you have worked in retail you will absolutely love Carvana! If you have ever worked for a company that doesn’t value employees you will love Carvana. If you want to come to work everyday and be yourself and not worry about the typical corporate politics, once again you will love Carvana. The management is transparent in the interview process! Trust me it’s all about asking the right questions, taking notes and doing your homework! I’ve been with the company almost a year. The job is challenging and fulfilling. My manager goes beyond what a manager should do and really gets to know the team.
Pros
Benefits are amazing! Pay is good! Environment is positive.
Cons
Some long days and things pop up outside your control
Not a great place to work
Transporter (Former Employee) –  South Windsor, CTDecember 9, 2018
First off I do not do reviews at all but this one I couldn't keep my mouth shut and had to let people know what I know. First off management or should I say micro management is at its finest in this place. The manager for this location although seems like a great guy is an actual puppet for someone else in another location. He knows nothing about logistics at all and that is how Carvana wants it so they can mold them into what they want and expect. I worked here for almost 1 month without an actual manager and everything was actually running kind of smoothly until we finally got a manager that was just being micro managed by another location. I ran cars from Hartford to Danvers overnight. But before leaving the yard would have to strip trucks situate our loads then run up to danvers drop all cars then reload cars from Danvers then drive back to Hartford unload the wholsale cars that were staying in Hartford then proceed to reload trucks for the guys that were coming in to run down to Delanco 5 nights a week for same salary as the guys that came in to a loaded truck drive to Delanco drop off truck jump in already loaded truck then drive back to Hartford then maybe unload a couple cars and go home. And we all got paid the same no payment difference between 3rd shift deiver/loader/lot guy/. And very under appreciated. I could go on and on about this company. But I am done venting now. If you do decide to work for this company GOOD LUCK....
Pros
Not much
Cons
Just about everything
It was a nightmare
Inventory Associate-Detail/Stock-in - Full-time (Former Employee) –  Blue Mound, TXDecember 3, 2018
Carvana does not help in arbitration cases they just try to get the person who brought the charges to quit...would be a great place if it wasnt for bad management
Nope
Outside Advocate (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MADecember 3, 2018
I'm so glad I was fired from this dumpster fire of a company. My first month I worked 70+ hours and it put a strain on my personal life. Did they care? Nope. I accidentally broke a piece of equipment and instead of believing me they fired me. Talking about the story on the camera proved otherwise. They don't care about you personally. They preach that they are a different company from all the rest but at the end of the day all they care about is pushing their junkyard cars to be sold. Management is very clique-ish. You're either in or not. Very cutthroat workplace. Then they try to be "hip" calling their stuff "swag" GROW UP. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. And the pay offered for the education I have was pathetic. A true spit in the face. Whether you're buying a car or looking for employment avoid this company like the PLAGUE.
About Carvana
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Winder, GANovember 30, 2018
Pay and job security were good however management were very hard to get along with and you never have any time to have a life and be at home with family. They are constantly switching up your hours and making you stay later without notice and if you cant its your fault and you will get a point. After 3 points its a write up and after 5 1/2 its termination. You do not get to advance unless you are in the click of management.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
everything else
Stay far away
Car Hauler (Former Employee) –  Blue Mound, TXNovember 8, 2018
Stay far away swift of car haulers management has no idea what they're doing only one manager is worth anything and that's the lead driver you can never leave early or will be written up you can be late just dont ever be early lowest paid car haulers make about $30,000 less then any other cat hauler managment goes out of the way to talk down to you. wont approve days off wont fix there trucks wont pass a inspection you wont get weekends off or three days off in a row you have been warned
Pros
3 days off
Cons
Pay, management
It was fun, but expectations fell short
Customer Field Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 31, 2018
I joined the position expecting overtime. I was someone that wanted to work overtime because I need money, but I was consistently making less than 30 hours a week because the manager didn't allow overtime. My manager would take the jobs that required overtime and did work that the rest of the company doesn't do because they deemed it to be be "cost-saving" It wasn't a terrible thing, but it was on such a minor scale that it was a low hanging fruit
Its a job, nothing more nothing less
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAOctober 30, 2018
With my experience working at the IC it isn't a healthy work environment.There's numerous personnel issues through most departments and upper management isn't focused on resolving those issues.Instead they put most of their attention on free food and company outings. Which may seem like a perk,but that's until you contact them wanting to move up or at least to a different department.Then you'll never get a straight answer out of any of them and if you call them out on it you might as well accept the position you're at is where you'll stay. Management as a whole will do anything to cover themselves, which often times leads to termination once non-managerial staff reaches out to headquarters about various issues. Also it builds distrust towards the company when they pay individuals with the same title different amounts, or when certain policies are strictly enforced on some individuals but not others. At the end of the day this is a production based company, your personal life is expected to be put on hold in order to hit a number even if other departments are the reason your department is behind. If you want consistent hours, generous pto, and occasional free food this place is great. But if you're looking to add to your resume, move up in the company without having to play "politics" , or an employer that doesn't cut corners and treats all employees equally i'd look elsewhere.
Pros
Better then average PTO, free food, benefits
Cons
Upper management, Payscale, Cut throat work environment
Expectations for opportunity way to high for the pay
Driver (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 29, 2018
I've applied for this company, God know how many times I have personality and I have my CDL Class A. This company is asking for a bachelors I'm like wow nobody with a bachelors would want to work for the hourly rate they pay, and if they do they won't be there long and rare for someone to stay with the company for such low pay that's below average pay in florida
Pros
Benefits, job duties
Cons
Asking for bachelors for almost close to minimum wage pay, which is a spit the face
Current employee
Associate (Current Employee) –  Delanco, NJOctober 25, 2018
Been working at the Delanco IC for a few months now, its an easy job for the most part but realistically the company has very unrealistic standards for their cars and will write you up for the smallest things. Overall everyone is very nice but won't hold departments accountable for their shortcomings. There is a lot of contradictions and hypocrisy that goes on, and it seems like they don't want you to make weekend plans just for the off chance you would have to work overtime. Certain persons within the management can be extremely rude but will cover it up as trying to "challenge you". They also tend to walk around as more of a clique then respectable leaders and will be very passive aggressive with their criticism. The company seems to forget that they are in the USED car business and will waste endless funds to make minor repairs for certain things but not others but will only pay you 12.00 an hour which in hindsight isn't bad but for what you do and deal with it should easily be 15. Everything is very fast paced which isn't necessarily bad but certain departments shouldn't be held at a fast pace i.e. Detail, Build and Paint and Photo gets all the blame when they kick cars back to other departments for missed repairs. For the most part it seems they care more about playing ping pong than actual morale and care for their employees. Lastly one of the most pointless things this company does is their breaks, you get a 15 minute break and 8:30 then a 30 minute lunch at 11 and when you clock back in you get immediately another 15 which is nice, however; the 15 minute break in the  more... morning is absolutely pointless it should either be two 30 minute breaks or 1 full hour. Wouldn't recommend for a long term job, better suited for short term or seasonal.  less
Pros
Overtime available, good benefits, paid time off, sick time.
Cons
short breaks, poor management, lack of care for personal life
Not much work/life balance
Market Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2018
Carvana doesn't staff appropriately based on its needs. There is no work life balance for operational staff and there is a disparity to how the office team is treated versus the operations/logistics teams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CARVANA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight