Cascadia Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

2.6
Ratings breakdown
horrible management
Secure Treatment Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 14, 2018
Client's were great, management was horrible. The supervisors, program manager, and case worker had the worst work ethics I've ever encountered in nearly 30 years of working in many different states. They did not show up to work and left the 16 bed acute program to be run by the hourly workers, and if you do anything wrong or call-out the management gangs up on you. I even attempted to go to upper management to inform them of the situation and there was absolutely no accountability. I ultimately couldn't work under people who don't show up for work and nit pick anything that the hourly workers do wrong. Management also let certain acute clients terrorize the milieu and staff with no accountability.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Poor management, No rewards for performance
Cascadia, a company I will never work for again, period.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 26, 2018
The actual work at Cascadia was great, I loved my co-workers and the residents! Yet having a supervisor that consistently disrespects and belittles, and discovering that management was not supportive of my concerns, was just too much. This was not just my opinion, I quickly learned it was the consensus at my facility and many others, and that management was just as poor and toxic as this manager.

Cascadia, at it's inception, cared about their staff and worked for real change in their residents. It has been ten to twenty years since that culture was alive. I need to be honest here, so I will. Cascadia has a two-tier system of treatment for staff versus management. Perhaps worse, they help residents, and they have a treatment plan - but they don't challenge or get to the root of their behaviors. Likely because Cascadia receives several thousand dollars from the state of Oregon, for each resident they keep at one of their facilities every month.

You are required to give three full weeks of notice before you can take any PTO. PTO is generous, but there's the catch! Cascadia thinks they can give extra PTO and pay employees a lot less. Guess what, PTO is not the same as proper compensation.
If you get written up, for any reason, you can't change positions for three months.

They do not compensate their direct care staff sufficiently, their Residential Counselors (I, II, and III) are some of the lowest paid in the Portland Metro. After doing some research and simply emailing a handful of non-profits I confirmed that Cascadia spends twice as much on administration as other
  more... non-profits. Pay. Your. Employees. It's that simple, Cascadia, you are terrible. Sorry but it's true.

I did my best, I did my best to address my poor supervisor and unethical management, on numerous occasions. I told them what they were doing well, but I was frank with them about what is wrong with how my supervisor was treating me, the lack of accountability and support by them (Cascadia management), and lack of proper compensation; all to no avail. I'm not the first one complain to them about these specific issues, I'm literally one of a dozen in the recent past. Read my lips, they are Not willing to change.

If this company has an ounce of integrity remaining, they would completely change the way administration handles complaints, especially complaints against them. It seems that if you tow the line and you are good at documentation, that's all you need. All you need to protect your job, get a promotion, and move ahead in the company.

So, if all the direct care staff at your facility complain about how you are belittling, disrespectful, critical, and never give recognition - that's okay. You constantly tow the line and your good with documentation, that's good enough for us. That's the clear message I received after working at Cascadia for over five years. Working for Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare has been the worst experience of my career.

If you are looking for a company where you'll never be compensated for your work and you won't be supported, if you want a company that lacks transparency, accountability and ethics; look no further.
Pros
Generous benefits and nine hours of PTO per month
Cons
Management lacks accountability, three (yes, three) weeks of notice required for PTO, and poor compensation even for non-profit
Find somewhere else to work
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 26, 2018
Constant changes, The HR department is very skilled in ways not to pay people. Managers attitudes are " If you don't like it go somewhere else to work" No advancement. Incredible amount of turnover. Most people last less than six months.
Pros
The co workers are fantastic
Cons
Administration and managers that have no idea of what is going on day to day and don't care.
Does not provide effective trauma support for staff
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 7, 2018
Cascadia fails to be trauma informed for staff and turnover is high due to vicarious trauma. Caseloads are unethically high for clinicians at times. Staff managers at some of the outpatient sites are lacking in sound clinical judgement and staff are often better served seeking clinics supervision for ethical concerns outside of the company.
Pros
403b matches 4%
Cons
Lack of support from managers, vicarious trauma
Abusive management, impossible workload
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 7, 2017
The management gives impossible workloads; my supervisor openly acknowledged that it was impossible to do all the required work within the 40 hours a week we were paid to work, but said I had to do it all anyway - and then pointed out that many of my coworkers worked unpaid weekends to get caught up and said it was an "option."

Management's policies target employees who stand up for their rights, especially those who favor unionization, and try to drive them out with petty abuse. Clinicians are required to perform tasks outside of their field and expertise, including watching people urinate, regardless of employee comfort. Personal boundaries were consistently ignored and actively attacked.

Cascadia prioritizes unquestioning obedience to the unethical management's decisions, rather than quality care for the clients.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
good coworkers being driven out in favor of inexperienced and docile new hires
good
Residential Councilor I (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 30, 2017
Work noc shift and really like it. Some clients can be a hassle and of course you wont like all of your co-workers but a good place. Has benefits and amazing PTO, perfect for entry level.
Somewhat chaotic work environment with great workers
Program Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 9, 2017
People are great. Typical problems with non-profit programs. Seems to try to do everything at once and ends up doing most things in a decidedly mediocre fashion.
Intellectuals working to improve local community
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2017
Cascadia works to offer mental health and addictions support to the local communities of Multnomah, Clackamas, and Lane Counties in Oregon State.
Cascadia offers excellent paid time off benefits for employees working with at risk populations to affect change.
Pros
Paid time off
Good benefits package, terrible management, did not treat employees right
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Old Town, ORJanuary 20, 2017
I worked at the site in Chinatown, the old manager was awesome, the recent new manager was terrible, she was never here when staff needed her support, take it out on staff when she was upset, very unprofessional. Don't get me wrong, there are good employees in Cascadia but in general they are really petty about things, especially payroll and site management.
A place to be embraced and supported in professional development.
Wellness Case Manager / Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 1, 2016
I've learned more than I could have expected working for Cascadia. I was fortunate to come into a role that had never been had before which meant I got to help shape it into what it has become. Leadership has always encouraged me to work at the top of my skill set, explore other areas of the field, and to create the visions I have for our clients and community.
Interesting and fun
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 30, 2016
Good work environment. Supportive staff and managers. Everyday was different. The clients could be challenging, but also delightful.
Because it was not a typical work environment, it was very casual and laid back, while still observing protocols.

One drawback was not knowing when, or if, your position would be eliminated due to budget constraints.
Pros
The people.
Cons
Feeling of no job security
Backstabbers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 12, 2016
Some of the managers there complain about the smallest stuff . One person complains about a good employee, and all the other managers gang up and discuss in meetings, like a shark mentality. It spreads like an infection, so then they lose good employees. Their systems are archaic, and they blame good employees for it, instead of fixing their systems issues. An employee can only be as good as the tools provided.
Pros
Benefirs
Cons
Gossipy and backstabbing
Toxic
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Wood Village, ORAugust 1, 2016
First of all, Cascadia has had multiple Medicare fraud lawsuits, one as recent as this March, in a $93k settlement. They nearly closed down in 2008 due to fiscal insolvency and frankly I don't see much of a future for this organization or its employees.
In the ECFs, you're not so much a counselor as you are a babysitter/billing machine. No self-respecting behavioral health organization would impose 'quotas' and stretch the truth as far as Cascadia does to make money.
To boot, I've never met a more unprofessional group of so-called clinicians in my life. Boundaries and ethics go ignored, clients are bullied and bossed around; I remember an instance in which my own supervisor threatened to send a client to state hospital if they didn't "behave..." That is no way for a social worker, let alone a supervisor, to treat clients.
Speaking of the way supervisors treat people--much of the interaction between management and employees was completely unprofessional and at times downright childish. The morale of the office was chronically in the toilet and management only served to feed the gossip-mill by encouraging employees to constantly "tell" on each other. It left very little room for actual work to be done, and client care suffered greatly due to office spats and unprofessional nonsense. I hadn't seen such behavior prior to this since middle school.
But if you're looking for a slacker friendly job where you'll never be fired, this is the place for you. You can even sleep on the job without reprimand!
In total, this is not the place for you unless you are very entry level
  more... and perhaps desperate.  less
Pros
There may be a slim few there who actually care for the clients.
Cons
All of the above
No raises ever, low pay, high caseload
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 7, 2016
My supervisors are completely out of touch. They infantalize staff and clients. The pay is a joke. The big 30 cent raise they just offered was an even bigger joke. Ieaving after only a few months, I need professional supervision and a liveable wage.
Pros
Clients are amazing people
Cons
Pay, caseload size, management
Company does good work for the community but doesnt pay employees well.
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 28, 2015
My department is full of very experienced and knowledgeable people. Cascadia does amazing work for the community and I am proud to be part of that. My only complaint is they don't pay well and its my belief that the reason the organization does such amazing work with the community is because of its dedicated and committed employees. It is time to pay them what they deserve.
Diverse Workplace with Potential
Child and Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Portland OregonJune 22, 2015
Cascadia serves the local mental health population that is often under served. There are many branches to this company with great opportunities for it's staff.
Very positive work environment in spite of some of the darkness that may come through the door. Some of the clients have heartbreakinng stories
Peer Wellness Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 3, 2015
Meeting participants, making appointments to see apartments.
Barriers
Love people I work with.
Housing.
Rewarding to see growth of clients.
Pros
Great staff in my office, great management, getting to really understand and know our participants
Cons
Compensation, medical benefits, finding housing.
Grave is the pits
Residential Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2013
When I went to school for a Behavioral and Social degree never thought all it would do is get into a hospital watching people sleep. Not to mention for profit companies cannot guarantee a position.
Supportive learning environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  portland, orJuly 9, 2013
When I interned with Cascadia, the drug reps often brought the whole office lunch! I also had a great supervisor, and was given a diverse learning experience.
Pros
Supportive learning environment
Decent job, but due to being a non profit, I couldn't pay my bills.
Residential Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2012
Good people work here. Administration attempts to make the job easier, but it is difficult. It's easy to stagnate in this position, as you do not need or utilize clinical skills. Increasingly high expectations with no hope for a raise.
Pros
understanding administration, working for a non profit
Cons
studying for 4 years to scrub toilets