Case Western Reserve University

Case Western Reserve University Employee Reviews

United States421 reviews

westernuniversitycasereservestudentcampusprofessorcleveland

supportive Team

I loved working as a research assistant at CWRU. I had a fun time working with great co-workers. Good environment and felt encouraged to learn more every day.

Great job at top ranked university

I work as a temporary web writer but I love this place! My team could be more diverse, but as one of the few WOC I believe that I'm valued as a team member. The work can sometimes be a little stressful but all in all it's not bad at all. I love my supervisor and coworkers and I have great benefits. Plus CWRU is one of the top ranking universities in Ohio, so having that on my resume is a plus.

Pros

hybrid position, easygoing team and supervisors, access to athletic facilities

Cons

unpaid holidays as temporary worker (to be expected)

Case Western Reserve University insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Paid time off

The extended paid time off during the winter and summer breaks are very thoughtful and help contribute to the work life balance. For instance the long break from the Wednesday during Christmas Eve until January 3 or 3 is very much appreciated every year.

The Petty Bunch

CWRU is a great place to work in it self. However, the dispatching department is not. Management and coworkers are very childish and petty. They tell on each other about any little mistake or misunderstanding. They all gossip about each other. This is why they can’t keep employees. It’s almost like they don’t want to by the way they terrorize and pick at new employees. I guess they enjoy working those 16hr shifts and having an inconsistent schedule since they’re always understaffed! 3 people quit in just the few months I was there. They will hire anyone, so only work here if you want the experience and certs needed for police dispatching.

Pros

Pay is decent since you’ll be working plenty of mandatory OT

Cons

Manager and coworkers are certified mean girls

Overall good experience with limited growth

Overall this was a positive clinical research experience. There were many opportunities to learn about research and field work, as well as many opportunities to work with seasoned researchers. Being involved with CWRU was definitely a great way to strengthen some of my skill sets for future jobs. The main downsides, which were pretty big, were the low compensation (however, decent benefits) and limited growth opportunity due to the nature of the position, but I appreciated my experience during that time.

Pros

benefits, University resources and access, strong community

Cons

compensation

helping people to achieve goals

CWRU is a great to place to work!Students and staff are great, very diverse culture.Learn new things and meet new people everyday.Most enjoyable part of the job, is knowing that what we do everyday makes a positive difference in someone's life!

Pros

Exposure to campus and higher learning

Cons

parking costs

Contractors deserve better

Pros: One of the best teams I have ever been on. Collaborative and a joy to work with.Cons: Pay was abysmal and there were no benefits whatsoever (not even sick time). Pushed for permanent employment for over a year and no progress was made.Advice to Management: Provide better compensation for contractors and employees. Tuition is $50k+. Know your staff's worth.

Great President! Horrible departmental management!

The university as a whole is great! The new President has really taken an employee/staff centered approach to improvements. The departmental management is the problem. Managers have no training on dealing with people and micromanage staff to the point where you don't feel trusted or valued. Change management and I believe the university will keep employees. Also, work life balance is off and you are expected to work 24/7.

Bad management

Workers stand around drinking coffee and on their phones a lot. While others work are working . Favoritism goes around the campus . Management is a joke . They are bout titles like supervisors managers directors . Miss treat their workers .

good company. not appreciated tho

NOT PAID EQUALLY. you can have licenses/degrees and others who don't have them get paid more. Knowing where others have gotten in their time working here, you will never be able to achieve what others have in the same time frame. This makes you extremely depressed and not wanting to go above and beyond anymore. My manager is awesome but the top decision making people are so disconnected from the average workers. Raises don't keep up with inflation. You have to pay a extremely outrageous amount of money to park on campus. The students should pay but allow employees free parking. The vacation, sick, and holiday time is generous I will give them that.

It's fine.

CWRU is an imperfect institution, like anyplace, to be fair. The university's students, staff, and faculty are generally good. That said, the administration's poor long-term planning can be quite frustrating.

Great work but a tough culture

CWRU is a world-class institution in terms of research and quality of education. It's a tough culture, though. I am a director on staff (not faculty). There's a distinct feeling of CYA and of not calling attention to yourself. Outliers are not welcome. I love the work but management is secretive and manipulative. If you can do your job without complaining (even constructively) and show quick results, you'll do well.

Was one of the worst employers I've had to date.

Management in my department was severely subpar. Treated employees poorly literally from upper level management down to lower. Turnover was extremely high.

Great place for research

Research PIs are great. Pay is not fair for the level of intellectual work you are doing, but I guess it looks great on your resume. Work quality definitely depends on your PI

Pros

Resume builder, flexible

Cons

Pay

Your Career is what you make it.

There is a lot of room to cross train within departments and network, so long as you are motivated to do so . Great leadership across Public Safety. There are flaws as within any department, but I feel that the department is making the necessary changes to attract and keep great candidates.

My review summary is extremely poor.

Special Olympics of employers, i worked there sure over 6 years. They don't care about you unless you have a PhD and fit into there model view of an employee. The hr went way down hill and there new Dean is insane with fear of COVID.

Pros

Days off so they can save money

Cons

They way your treated, Management, The FMLA person is year sucks, Their hr turnover rate is ridiculous, The hr supervisor is a lier and two-faced, Thru out the campus employees seem "apartheid" also the staff talk about, I would not recommend this employer.

Great working environment.

Great working environment, you'll find people who nurture and mentor others to excel in their field of expertise, networking opportunities, easy access to resources.

Its a cool job

At 1st it is hard as it is at any job once you start. But being on your feet when you are not 🤨 was hard for me. After a couple of months got better. It is a very easy job and everyone is very helpful and want you to achieve. And manager always check on you to make sure u are ok. hourly rate is awesome 2 for the work we do.

Pros

People and learning everyday something new. And the job is super easy

Cons

Working in a basement dont get to see sunlight until lunch or when its time to go home

International Research Institution Run on a Shoestring

Improving work-life balance and benefits but has difficulty retaining best employees due to low salaries and increasingly onerous workloads. Leadership generous with pats on the head, but not with pay vs other leading academic institutions. Global mission is exciting, but CWRU needs better endowment growth and research commercialization to compete at top level.

Pros

Health benefits, time off, hybrid work

Cons

Poor compensation and retention of best employees

Each department is different. The university promotes those whom they hand pick to become leaders.

Some departments within the university are exemplary while others are toxic. Several directors lack the necessary supervisory skills that are needed to competently perform their jobs. Directors need to be held accountable for their actions. Some departments lack accountability.

Pros

Vendors Fair, beautiful campus

Cons

Sense of belonging, low pay

Cwru athletics

Cleveland has a lot to offer. The medical team and physicians were the best I’ve ever worked with. The coaching staff are a friendly, fun, supportive group.

Pros

Great team physicians

Cons

Need better system for scheduling and schedule changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Case Western Reserve University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.7Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Case Western Reserve University with

Learn about Case Western Reserve University in popular locations

Studying at Case Western Reserve University

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews

Case Western Reserve University reviews by popular job title