Case Western Reserve University
65Average

Case Western Reserve University Employee Reviews

United States377 reviews
Overall very good
I had hardly any issues working there. The work hours are very flexible and they are willing to accommodate to your needs. A great learning experience and starting job.
Poorly Organized, Managed and Financed
I was very enthused to began working at CWRU when I was offered the position, but it was a bait and switch deal--I was told I had one title and then was told by several co-workers that I was in a lower position. My manager would be forced to admit that this was indeed the case. It was an extremely demeaning situation.

I am completely baffled as to how CWRU has garnered the reputation that it has as I found this organization to be poorly run..they had extremely ineffective processes that were outdated and inefficiently executed. The university was poorly funded, and as a result, "restructured" some departments which amounted to numerous people being laid off. Many of these people had children in medical school who were receiving a tuition-free education, and were completely distraught over being laid off for obvious reasons. I suspect the free tuition for dependents was the only reason they worked there anyway.

Additionally, many of the students did not appear to be "brilliant"as I would have surmised given the university's reputation. In fact, I was advised on several occasions that some staff members had to complete applicants' admission's applications because they could not follow directions and were accustomed to being coddled. Mind you, these applicants' first language tended to be English. I was also told that the policies of our government were keeping foreign students out of the university...yes, the environment tended to be unprofessional as some folks insisted on discussing politics/religion, etc, and would become slightly agitated when others declined those specific
 - more...
Pros
Cons
work environment and culture, pay/benefits, job security
Great
Case is a great job to learn n grow from specially if you like to cook they was friendly respectful and they treat you like family l love working there
Great Place to Work
My Time at Case was always very interesting and enjoyable. I found myself around people who care. As a whole, I feel that Case is a great place to work. Great benefits and positive campus culture. However, we are losing our current president, so I hope that a lot of that stays the same despite a change in leadership. As far as management, it depends who you work for within the university. My current boss is very supportive and encouraging; my previous one was "eh." My only complaint is the pay, but hey, I'm the one who chose academia vs. industry.
One more thing: I highly recommend paying attention to all the happenings on campus- networking, volunteering, arts & culture- there's always something going on and I think that is a major benefit of working not only at a university, but in the University Circle area of Cleveland, as well.I would go back in a heartbeat! I loved working there and loved the people i worked with. My job is contracted out now which i feel was a big mistake for the company.
Diversity
It was not a diverse and inclusive environment. The black women were treated like servants with little advancement opportunities and poor salaries. I did not stay a year.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Retired after 30 years great job, boss was exceptional Coworkers were for the most part was great to work with and environmental was relaxing to work in
Needs improvements
Case doesn’t pay well. If you’re not an Executive or Professor, you’ll stay poor and unsatisfied. If you get a higher salary grade position, they only increase you by 7% but a person off the street can come on making far more and without the same level of experience or education.
Pros
Central location
Cons
Salary increases terrible, no opportunity for advancement
Very excellent job. Good team work
Good experience working like chef line cook perfect team work good hours good pay I take care my family with no problems.. make good money also everybody is real respectful...
Will never hire beyond temp
Despite being hired as a temp and promised the full job after 90 days. I was threatened to do exceptional work during visits from the donors well after the 90 day mark to secure my hire. At day 180 I brought up that if I was not hired I would leave. I was told they never had any intention to hire me or any other temp and would let us cycle every year.
Great dental school
CWRU is a good dental school. The school has requirement in all aspect of general dentistry, but focusing more on restorative and prosthetic procedures.
Super Easy and Laid back
Was allowed to work on personal projects as long as I made sure all the solutions where fresh and everyone was safe with the equipment. Only downside was scheduling and hours
Great Place to Work
hard
if you are not experienced in the inner-workings of college education, you could be very challenged. at least a one year learning curve. I am grateful for what I gained in my short time working there.
Very relaxing non stressful Place to work
Friendly, supportive and helpful environment
Supervisor and colleagues are extremely supportive and helpful. Provide opportunities to learn. I have learned knowledge and skills related with my own project and also how to organize and manage a lab.
great place for growing professional skill
the work balance can be easy as a research track engineer.
All the people you work with are smart and willing to help.

The community is heart warming.
competitive work focused
The university does make some efforts for work life balance and a good professional experience. Your mileage varies depending on your line manager.
There are several organizations within the university that keep fairly active, so if you want you can find a good community here.
Pediatrics
The Pediatric department manager is horrible beyond words. They students and residents are good. If visiting its fine place to com but to work here it is not
Busy days
Working here is very fun and interesting! Great to see new faces and experience the journey through the university! Everyone is welcoming and passionate! It’s an amazing job to have
Ok place to work
Large culture to learn to navigate. They are most concerned with trying to attract students that can pay full tuition. Nice campus. It is a pretty place to work. Parking is expensive.
Pros and Cons
There are really good benefits however the work culture and professional advancement is lacking. The pay structure is also not fair across the scope of all jobs.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor leadership, poor pay, lack of advancement
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Case Western Reserve University. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Case Western Reserve University Reviews by Location