Casey's General Store Employee Reviews

Found 2,557 reviews matching the search See all 2,563 reviews
Terrible work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 17, 2018
My first day on job and was early I was yelled at in front of customers for not being clocked in. I explained that my co worker was showing me how to do that. She started my experience there awful. We were also told to put our own lives in danger to prevent theft!
It could be better
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Teutopolis, ILNovember 17, 2018
The company is constantly trying to save money so they cut hours, and when they cut hours it leaves us stressing over getting everything done. A lot of the time, you cannot complete all that is expected of you because of these cut hours. I understand if they have more than enough hours, but when you keep cutting after cutting, customers are going to get upset as well as employees who are not getting the hours they need to make ends meet. The management I had was no good, but I do not want to blame that on all stores in the US. For this kind of job, it seems they expect so much out of you. More than people might think or expect. There is always something to do, but when they cut hours you cannot get the necessary things done and then they wonder why.
Pros
It's not a hard job
Cons
But you might not get bad very much for all the things you do.
work place enjoyment
Pizza Cook/Cashier,pizza delivery (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNNovember 16, 2018
I liked working at this store. The manager tried to fit my schedule with my kids but I wasn't able to find the correct babysitting for the evening part of my shift. Fun environment to work in.
Busy work but not hard
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolivar, MONovember 15, 2018
I looked forward to providing excellent customer service. The job was busy but easy work. I was able to learn alot in management. Would have never left but the store manager at the time was very difficult to work for.
Pros
Customers
Cons
The hours
Great people to work with but hours vary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Huxley, IANovember 13, 2018
Can be fast-pace or just standing around most of the time which allows for a little chit-chat. Rarely take breaks unless you're a smoker. manager was not great but all the employees were fun and hardworking. May have to work on holidays but you get time and a half.
Toxic, Horrible, and Stressful
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Freeport, IANovember 13, 2018
From the start, everything was screwed up. I was trained for one day at the sub bar, and then had to work on my own without any additional training, as my trainer was a no call no show the next day. Everything I had to do, I had to learn with no help. I had to work ten hours with no break, while those at our store that smoke get to take a break once an hour. That just isn't fair. The management didn't care about what I had to say. And I really feel that this store values women over men, while progressive, isn't really spreading workplace equality. And then it all went even further to heck, when the daughter of a coworker got hired. This new girl got hired and immediately started telling lies about everyone she could. It all ended with me leaving the company, as my supervisor was completely ignorant and incompetent and was screaming at me over one of the new girls lies.
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
No breaks.
Flexible work place, laid-back
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MONovember 13, 2018
You would count your drawer before each shift. Then make sure coffee is made and everything is stocked. Check customers out as they come and go. Watch gas pumps while people are getting gas. Management was good. There was one manager that did not do much. Hardest part was keeping track of people at the pumps and making sure they don't drive off. The most enjoyable was talking with customers because you get regulars.
Pros
Pay was good, flexible hours, enjoyable customers
Cons
No breaks, sometimes there by yourself
You were always busy, was a very fast paced and very busy. The other employees were fun to work with and there was never a dull moment with customers.
Cahier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beatrice, NENovember 13, 2018
A typical work day would be making pizzas to keep in the warmer for customers every hour. making sure everything was clean. making sure the veggies and toppings were fresh. assisting orders and calls. The hardest part of the job is being rushed when there are multiple orders. The most enjoyable part of the jobs is seeing customers satisfied with their orders and working with the other employees.
Pros
discounts while working
Cons
short breaks or no break at all.
Ugh!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Staunton, ILNovember 13, 2018
Ugh! This place does not care about their employees and they go back on what they say. The pay is way less than other places and they expect more without compensating for it.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Dont care about employees
Fast paced, crazy schedules
Food and Grocery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wellman, IANovember 13, 2018
You clock in and most of the time the person you're taking over for is ready to head straight out the door. You don't really have any time to get things ready for your shift. Day shift is usually fully if not extra staffed and night shift usually runs short. You have a crazy schedule that is all over the place.
Pros
1/2 priced food
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSNovember 13, 2018
Love being able to converse with customers. Managers are fair but stern. Willing to listen if you have at home problems and help out when they can. They get it. Life happens. Very good training. I have had other jobs that you are just thrown into and just have to wing it. Not at caseys. She allowed a good amount of days with a trainer.
It is generally even paced and relaxed
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cosmos, MNNovember 12, 2018
I have learned a lot about generally taking care of a store and running a complex cash register. It is generally relaxed and there is never too much work. I wish I was able to get more breaks. It is hard to stand for so long without sitting. However, there is enough down time to have a bit of chit chat.
Pros
discounts, 401k, good people
Cons
rarely ever get to take breaks unless you are a smoker
Productive fun enviroment
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Oskaloosa, IANovember 12, 2018
The management was decent and being busy made the work day go by fast. The hardest part of the job was that at lunch time it would get extremely busy so at times it was hard to keep up but once you figure out how to do things it wasn't too bad
Great company to work for.
Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IANovember 12, 2018
Casey’s is a fantastic place to work at with many great employees. Benefits are very good and work/life balance is easy. You are able to somewhat pick your own hours as long as you put in the required time.
Pros
Great company overall, great benefits, awesome work/life balance
good luck
Kitchen Crew (Current Employee) –  Indianola, IANovember 12, 2018
management dont work weekends or holidays and is always levaing early sometimes your the only one putting truck away you always have to fix someone elses mistake im only one going in the cooler half the time there is ALOT of complaining
It was fun working there
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IANovember 9, 2018
I just couldn't do over nights very well I enjoyed working there nice people I am a diabetic it was messing with my blood sugars so that's why I couldn't do over nights anymore
Not worth it
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Plano, ILNovember 9, 2018
Not worth it. Was an employee for over 2 years and it was not good. Worked tons of hours with not enough income. If you want something easy as a side job maybe but not as a main job.
Don't expect vacation and sick
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Dewey, OKNovember 9, 2018
There is a lot of turnover. Management not well trained, not receptive to input from employees. The company does not seem to care to update your file with "full time" status meaning you cannot work toward vacation and sick leave. Several people, myself included, found this to be true.
Pros
co-workers were great
Cons
No place to hang coat, take break.
The job was easy and simple
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Versailles, MONovember 8, 2018
There was no problem. The work was easy and the workers was nice and friendly. If I choice I would go back to work there. The customers are nice and easy to help.
Pros
everything
It wasn’t too bad
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gilbertville, IANovember 8, 2018
I’ve worked there for two years. I loved the customers not so much the job. I also serve In the military so every month they would find it a hassle to accommodate my hours to somone else and I felt victimized because of it.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Not that many but didn’t accommodate military persons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Casey's General Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight