Castle Metals Employee Reviews

good job poor management
steel worker (Current Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHMarch 15, 2019
work was fairly steady. Coworkers were nice but cliquey company. Pay was fair. Management was cutthroat did more harm then good. You are just a number at here.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
Very "Clicky" company
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJuly 1, 2018
If you're not "one of the boys", your tenure at Castle Metals will be short lived. Moreover, if you complain that you don't have the right tools to do the job safely, again, you wont be long with the company. They expect you to lift 165lb bars of steel without a magnet on the end of your crane (which is required equipment). you also get the run around with regard to your uniform so be prepared to ruin your own clothes. there are some there who have waited 2-3mo and still haven't received their uniform in entirety. Also just to let you know, if you were told by the recruiting HR representative in Oak Brook, IL (Headquarters) that you would start at $14.50/hr then between $16-$17/hr after 90 days probationary period. just get that right out of your head. That is an out and out lie.
Pros
Insurance from the first day, and 120hrs PTO first year
Cons
Insurance taken away last day of employmeny. cut-throat company
Review
Independent Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 16, 2018
The Castle Metals company is an exceptional company to work for. They employ a lot of great people and manage to provide a great work-life balance for their employees.
Constantly worried about losing your job.
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WI 53546May 23, 2018
Castle is a very good place to work, if you are in th managements pocket. If you are not, look out! I was broadsided with my departure of my job, because of business decline. Which made no sense since I knew the sales to profit and loss. Castle wanted to save on bonuses that were to be paid out for on time deliveries and by eliminating my position, it did that in less than a week.
Castle is by far one of the most backwards companies I've ever worked for. If you do well and actually produce, you will be let go. They keep the slow, bad attitudes, and over all lazy employees to maintain a below threshold on time delivery now. It's sad.
I do not recommend this company at all, it opened their Janesville facility to receive tax write offs and will most likely will close this facility within the next few years. The management team will bold face lie to you, say one thing and do another.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, hours.
Cons
Management, laziness, and overall bad working atmosphere
Good place to learn about aerospace products
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAApril 3, 2018
Great company overall with a great work atmosphere and great coworkers and good benefits, however branch level management is lacking in there responsibilities as far as giving reviews and handling issues
Pros
good benefits, great co-workers
Cons
poor branch level management
Fast pace and Sandler driven which means if a customer is not a fit for us we will not sell to them.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMarch 5, 2018
Castle is a reputable company. I enjoyed all of the sales training. I worked at selling value added services because that gave me an advantage over my competition. Castle was willing to think outside of the box.
Pros
Company car, Sales contests and I won a Caribbean trip!
Cons
Struggled getting inventory and they change to corporate logistics.
Productive and driven.
BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CAFebruary 24, 2018
Meeting with the team to ensure the on time performance of the customers and processes. Leading the team in improvement activities. Ensuring that the environment is safe and productive is the daily responsibility of the leadership team.
great place to work
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford Hts, OH 44146January 8, 2018
competitive pay great place to work. good location and they have great job security. employees were very helpful and friendly. large work volume and good pace
ok place to work
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJanuary 5, 2018
decent wages, benefits. Attendance policy is too strict. Managers are OK. Most days are 8 hour days, lunch is 1/2 hour unpaid. Sometimes mandatory overtime or weekends.
Fast paced work environment
TRANSPORTATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 3, 2018
A typical day would consist of working fast paced environment on a time constraint to get things finished. I learned lots of problem solving skills and working with many different systems. The most frustrating part is that there is no opportunity for advancement. I loved the people, and the environment.
Pros
hours
Cons
short deadlines.
slow pace and nice enviorment
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIDecember 30, 2017
Castle metals is a new growing company the staff is great,work is fun and layed back but pushes you a little. If you show up on time and do your job to the best off your abilities you should do great.
Pros
give three breaks
Cons
new company starting always a glitch in some way or form
This employer needs a overhaul of its management
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 7, 2017
I have never experienced such poor employee to employer low management ethics until I came here. High concerns of bad employee conduct was overlooked as well as management .
Sales
Regional Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2017
Castle is a great place to work. Great people and management team. The work day in the steel industry is always different, it can be high stress but it is always exciting.
Underpaid for duties performed
Bi-Lingual Administrative Assistant / AP (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CANovember 2, 2017
Provide accounts payable service for vendors
Submit Purchase Orders
Handle high volume customer requests (ie. additional paperwork, ETA, tracking information, etc)
Completed additional office projects
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Underpaid
Awesome people. Awesom experience
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILSeptember 15, 2017
I had a great manager that coached and helped quite a bit. Castle has gone through some financial difficulty but it is great to see that they are coming back strong.
Better than unemployment
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INAugust 3, 2017
Benefits are decent. Union is a joke. facilities are poor. No money for parts, safety issues galore. Many better opportunities available, but still beats the unemployment line.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Management, environment, compensation.
Was good until it lasted.
Crane Operator/Loader (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILJuly 12, 2017
I was at the Franklin Park, IL location for over a year. The pay was decent with plenty of overtime. It was a good job until they decided to move to Wisconsin for lower wages.
reduction
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CAJune 18, 2017
I was layoff because the company had to do reduction. I was disappoint that I was release after 33 years of services. I did not understand the reductions when they hired more managers and warehouse was working overtime. I have move on and am happier and less stressful in my life, I do enjoy working and would like to keep myself occupied in challenging projects.
You learn so much working here
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILMay 16, 2017
Working here gives you so many opportunities for advancement you generally don't fine with other companies. They are always looking to make sure the staff whether office or in the plant are well taken care of.
Great place-Rough overall market
National Accounts Tech. Sales-Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHMay 9, 2017
Loved working there but they removed our entire department.
Lets face it, with polymers and carbon fiber, metal is becoming less popular and more expensive to work with and ship.
Loved my manager, pay was good and the people were fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Castle Metals. Our community is ready to answer.