Catawba Valley Community College Employee Reviews

Easy Fun environment with excellent staff
Phlebotomy Team Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at Catawba Valley Community College- East Campus. Everyone was extremely helpful and encouraging. I loved encouraging the students to grow to their full potenial.
Productive not only to myself but students also.
HRD Instructor (PT) (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 21, 2018
Worked in the Human Resource Development lab assisting students with testing, logging on to computers and any other questions they may have. Assist with resume writing.
Pros
Classroom was never overcrowded.
Love to work with the students
Phlebotomy Team Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 15, 2018
I love teasing people something new and them actually enjoy learning it. I like hearing thank you so much for your knowledge you shared. It is just fun to be able to teach something you love.
Excellent employer
Department Head (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 3, 2018
As with any educational institution, there can be stressful situations. However, CVCC is an amazing place to work with forward and innovated administrators!!
Great staff to work with
ADN Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 11, 2017
No benefits as only a part time job, but worked with great people with great ideas that influence young people looking for a new career. Able to assist students to reach their goals.
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 15, 2017
Fast paced work environment . Everyday learning something new . Good clientele, Cosmetology program has a great reputation in the community. Students do great job. Management is supportive.
Pros
Clean & organized
Very Professional and Productive Organization with various opportunities for Professional Development
Academic Management and Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 10, 2017
A typical workday included making sure that the needs of the students were met in a professional and timely manner. I learned how to perform my duties as a team player in a professional manner at all times. Management provided all necessary tools needed to perform the job. A balanced workplace culture allowed employees to perform to the highest standard of professionalism.
You're on your own
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 12, 2017
It is left up to the employees to reach out and contact tutees and offer their services. You get to decide what you want to help teach, when to do and where to do it.
The tutoring program has no advancement for employees at CVCC.
Tutor, Learning Assistance Center (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 1, 2017
The tutoring program at CVCC program used to busy. Now, there are not enough students who seek a peer tutor. I am lucky if I get 4 hours per week. I am seeking a job with more hours.
The supervisors do not take any insinuative to make the tutoring better.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Not enough hours
School Workplace
Educational Technology Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 22, 2017
CVCC was a place to start a career. I joined desktop customer service experience. Balancing with school work and workplace experience was hard to balance and achieve.
Rewarding when students accomplish there goals.
GED/AHS Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 25, 2017
This is the absolutely the worst school to work for with no advancement in the basic skills department. The students are amazing and work hard to accomplish there goals
Pros
Helping students
Cons
No advancement
I enjoyed my experience at CVCC. I would recommend anyone who is open minded and driven to work there!
Business Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NC 28601May 16, 2017
I aided Catawba Valley Community College students in business coursework. At CVCC, I was responsible for tutoring 100 and 200 level business courses. Instructed management, economics, accounting, and business law study sessions .
Teaching was rewarding
Registered Nurse Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 6, 2017
Had many different reviews of paperwork so there many areas to evaluate individuals but the work was very rewarding because you could teach areas of expertise.
Do research before you work for the cosmetology department
Full time Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  newton , NCMarch 7, 2017
I worked as a full time cosmetology instructor for cvcc and discovered that within 6 months 3 other instructors had walked out. The program head expects you to stay after the students leave and climb ladders and clean vents and wipe down walls. All this happens weekly. The classes leave at 3pm to 4 pm but you will stay until 9pm to 10pm on a regular basis.
All I can say is please do research. People do not leave jobs, they leave bad bosses.
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, Bad Manager/Boss
A good place to work
Chinese Professor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 21, 2016
The students here are great to teach. They worked hard and learned Chinese very well. It was a good teaching experience.
Easy Hours
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 24, 2016
Tutoring requires no previous testing on the subjects, which I personally think should be done before they just let anyone tutor students that need it.
Pros
Easy time slots
Cons
cannot group tutor / tutor more than one student at once
Excellent strategy to enhance college opportunities
recruiter for adults (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 30, 2016
My responsibilities included recruiting high school graduates of Color to become students at CVCC to earn a Certificate or Degree.

I spoke at a variety of venues including civic, church, and business locations to create awareness and seek out potential students.

I worked administrative, Department Heads, as well as other programmatic colleagues.

It was a very good place to work, particularly enrolling many new students.
Pros
The ability to help people.
Cons
Depended on state funding.
cvcc
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 30, 2015
we worked one on one with the tutees. didnt work much with the management unless something was wrong. worked there for five years with quite a few students in english math reading and psychology
The culture of the campus is gradually changing to for the better, but work remainsto be done.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 27, 2015
Instructors are allowed a modest degree of autonomy when conducting their classes. Creativity is encouraged by the President as a means of broadening the scope of what the school does to make it more appealing to more groups.
The president has an open door policy for staff and students that helps to facilitate communication. He is well respected by students for his accessibility.
The school is coming to terms with the need to adapt to an ever growing multicultural community in a local economy that is re-emerging. The relationship that has developed between the school and local businesses is strengthening each semester as more courses are being taught that meet local needs.
I love my job because I am allowed to introduce ideas that encourages freethinking.
Pros
Instructors are encouraged to think outside the classroom.
Cons
disconnect between middle managers and the campus environment.
I learned I worked I moved on
Developmental Math Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 13, 2015
As a student CVCC pushed me to succeed. As an employer CVCC kept me on a tight leash in the ways I could assist students. (mostly the Math Dept Head - now changed) I enjoyed the opportunity, but it was the students not the math I was trained to teach and older students did not fit into the adolescents I was trained to educate. I loved working at CVCC. I hated to leave, but it was time to move on. Their budget restraints just made it easier for me to do that before I intended.
Pros
Friendly colleagues and staff
Cons
contract work semester to semester for part-timers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catawba Valley Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.4Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Catawba Valley Community College Reviews by Location