Catawba Valley Medical Center Employee Reviews

Horrible changing schedule with poor dept management
Respiratory Therapist RRT (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 30, 2019
Schedule was continually changing with no work/life balance. Poor department management. No real change taking effect to protect old ways.............
Management is currupt
Rehabilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 28, 2019
I love this hospital! But Mgt./directors make it awful! The directors are there for the money. They don’t care about anything but that check. Don’t park or clock in at the wrong/department area bc U will get fired! They are petty and won’t care how bad you need your job.
Pros
Insurance, benefits, and the relationships you create
Cons
Management and directors
Fun work place
Expert Multi-Tasker (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 24, 2019
I like my job trying to advance in the hospital great co works and benefits. The hours are good and there are very good programs they also help you with school
Directer and supervisor
EVS Tech (Current Employee) –  CvmcApril 20, 2019
To much gossip about people within dept, director favors certain people and put more wrk on the dependable ones aleast the coordinator does lack of honesty in dept from coordinator and directer and a secretary who thinks she the boss I think it could be a whole lot easier, when someones out that expect u to do 2 schedules and all extra calls this scenario is not possible and to do a great job .if u say I cant do it they think u have a attitude if u have a problem with something then ur the problem they turn around on you, the have like a sliding scale with pay and there's things on there that dnt even apply to the job
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Low pay, poor management, impossible to reach top pay
Exceptional charge nurses
Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 20, 2019
Doctors and medical providers are very respectful to nurses and are open for suggestions to improve teamwork during emergent situations. Working in the emergency room, they provide three months of hands on training and are willing to extend if you are uncomfortable with assignments. Great nurses to work with.
flexible and career driven environment
Subcontracted Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 14, 2019
Dealt with the everyday workings and maintenance of all the medical practices. I provided facility with updates on any work needed at practices and handled any work orders that came in.
Professional
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 13, 2019
Encourages education continuation. Good tuition reimbursement, Great medical benefits
Can be challenging on high admission days
Sometimes can have 6 patients to one nurse
Pros
25% discount in cafeteria and gift shop.
Relaxed but hard-working environment with somewhat-unorganized management
Nutrition Aide (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 13, 2019
I have liked working at CVMC as a nutrition aide, and the work environment is enjoyable and relaxed, but still productive and meaningful. However, the management in the nutrition care department is not very well-organized, and communication is often difficult to maintain.
Great learning experience
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 21, 2019
This is a great place to learn. Management doesn’t train well at all and people pretend to be your friend even when they’re really not. People would come to me and tell me things said about me that I would never have expected alsona colleague deliberately sabotaged me getting an advancement opportunity by pulling him into the safe room and telling lies. The business side definitely lacks professionalism and all could use some re education. The staff that has some tenure isn’t very friendly at all except 3rd shift employees with a select few on 2nd. I had experience and was paid $2 less an hour than someone with no experience that was a veteran.
Pros
Great learning experience, clinical staff are friendly
Cons
Snake pit, not paid well enough
management
ST (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 11, 2019
The OR has undergone so many managers in the last couple years. They all make you promises that they never intend to keep. All they care about is the numbers and making themselves look good. If you go to them with a problem, they make that problem about you and not the problem at hand.
The management has 2 different kind of employees.
The favorites - they always get their way AND
everybody else - they always have to do all the work that the no one else wants to do. They always have the biggest case load with the hardest doctors.
Pros
use to have good insurance
Cons
12 hr shifts of constant stress and standing, only 30 min lunch
administrative (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 16, 2019
Love my job, the hospital and people I work with. The benefits are great. The problem is- pay rate is not so great. It's a sad thing management can't give you what you deserve.
Good place for a nurse to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 7, 2018
At Catawba Valley Medical Center there are numerous educational opportunities. In addition there are committees to serve on and ways to make a difference in nursing.
CVMC is a great company
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 1, 2018
CMVC is a great organization to work for that cares for their employees. There is a team atmosphere with the patient being the focus of that team. Each day I went to work I knew that the day was going to end well through common goals and great teammates.
Evidenced based nursing
Utilitization Review /Management Nurse (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 26, 2018
Multiple opportunities to continue and constant encouragement to continue education with multiple classes at different times to encourage nursing participation.
Working there was very stressful at times due to unfair practices
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 27, 2018
I was an CNA which, I enjoyed working there being a Care Giver but, I had to deal with a lot of unfair practices I worked upon, not being able to express my feelings, knowing that my supervisor would at least lesson which, he never could find the time to, he would brush things under the table so that, he wouldn't have to address it
Pros
Excellent benefits, great bonuses annually
Cons
Lake of respect towards staff, know encouragment
Great benefits and wonderful work environment!
Registered Nurse (Outpatient Day Surgery) (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJune 27, 2018
Wonderful benefits package and options to get your advanced degree is encouraged! Christmas party every year and bonuses given yearly based on your evaluation.
Excellent employer. Great experience with potential for advancement.
Emergency Department Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJune 4, 2018
Very positive experience. Education is well supported. Interactions with management are positive and instructive. The hospital had continuous efforts toward improvement. Great co-workers!
Pros
Great staff. Good support by management.
Fun place to work
CNAII (Former Employee) –  Conover, NCMay 16, 2018
A typical day at work meant team work. I learned how to dress and undress for isolation rooms. I also got plenty of practice doing I&O catheterizations. The management was awesome. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work with such wonderful coworkers.
Pros
I was PRN employee but always got my hours
Cons
It's healthcare so it's hard sometimes
Certified Pharmacy Technician II (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 15, 2018
Treated like family. All employees are one big family. Nice employees. Patient care is top priority. Not about numbers and how much and how fast you can produce your work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Short breaks
RN Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 10, 2018
Good place to work and learn different levels of nursing. Thorough orientation. Encourage growth in nursing field. Ability to transfers to the different dept for growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catawba Valley Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3