Catering By Michaels Employee Reviews

Great place to work as long as you understand the Catering Industry.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILApril 29, 2019
There is no such thing as a typical day at Michael's; which is actually one of the things I love most about them. Everyday it's something new to learn, and someplace new to see. As a delivery driver you get to leave the office/warehouse, which is relieving not to be in the same space all day. Another great thing, is that they actually provide lunch Mon-Fri and sometimes even on the weekend. Not many places do so. If you are ever not on site for lunch and have time the manager usually will let you stop somewhere along the way. If you are someone who doesn't really like the usually 9-5 routine, then this is the place for you!!
Pros
Free Lunch, Health Benefits, Vacation, 401k, Busy Season
Cons
Slow Season, No Set Schedule
A great opportunity with a great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILApril 29, 2019
Catering by Michaels is concerned about doing things right. The employee benefits are competitive. The training program is extensive and detailed. The culture is welcoming. Employees genuinely care about each other. Overall, working at Catering by Michaels has been a wonderful experience!
Pros
Catered lunch daily, great employees
Stable/FunWorkplace/Good people/FreeLunch
Mntce Tech, Cafe Manager, Waiter, Kitchen Asst (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILApril 27, 2019
Working at Catering by Michael's was nothing but good to me. It is a family of companies with many different positions that as I went through different stages of my life I learned new skills and took on different roles that adapted to my lifestyle. Some positions let you pick days you can work or cant work, but the thing I loved the most was that no day was the same. I'd always learn something new, meet new people, and work unique events. There's advancement opportunities if you work hard and actually try to get further and communicate that that's what you want. Management is phenomenal, good leaders, teachers and problem solvers. Sometimes there's some really good tips but it's not guaranteed which is why pay is good compared to other places. I'd work there again if my schedule would as flexible as before.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible schedules, benefits if full time, tips, Fun
Cons
Sometimes you have to travel a little far, some events are picnics and it gets hot
Great growing company to work at
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILApril 25, 2019
If you are looking to learn off-premise catering done right, you cannot work at a better place. they are very organized and only take the amount of business they can accomplish perfectly. There is alot of assistance when needed, and alot of brainstorming with the management, operation and sales teams. They encourage new ideas, and in a business that is very stressful, try to have fun. It is off-premise catering, so work in general is never easy. They service alot of high-end clients, but the challenge makes it that much more fun. Many of the full-time employees have been there for 15+ years. Overall, Catering by Michaels is a great well-run business with awesome people from top to bottom. Every day is a learning experience.
Pros
Free Lunch, Bonuses, Vacation, Insurance, Pto
Great management and people
Server (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILMarch 21, 2019
Great place to work. Highly recommend taking a chance and applying. The workers are very nice and the managers are very understanding and kind but are able to get the job done when needed.
Awesome place for a summer job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILNovember 7, 2018
Everyone is super laid back and doesnt mind if you take your time to get things done right. They will push you to try new things but at your own pace and offer plenty of opportunities to grow.
Cutthroat environment.
Hot Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILOctober 8, 2018
In the time I was there my department lost like 4 people because of my supervisor. The executive chef didn't care since he was leaving. After I left even to this day they have problems in my position. They can't seem to fill the position since it's so unfair and the work so unbearable. I left because my supervisor made our schedules in a way no other supervisor in the entire shop did. He ended up admitting it in a laughing manner and in front of my brother who works in another department. It's so bad they only hire family members and openly have "meetings" where only family members are allowed and they selfishly get rid of the best workers because theyre threatened. This is all without the president of the company or the head guy in charge knowing. But they have the power to just threaten people and change schedules until we leave.
Pros
Free lunch
Muy buena compania
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  MontongroveSeptember 29, 2018
muy buena compania para aprender creser en las diversas omuchas ramas dela gastronomía
Pros
Seguro medico dental vista
Cons
No hay mucho tiempo libre en el verano
Amazing company with great product, team, and clients
Manager (Current Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILJune 28, 2018
This is a company you can really be proud to work at. Training can be a bit slow but after you finish you can get a lot of shifts. The events they do are amazing and you can often get good tips in addition to your pay.
Pros
Free meals, flexible scheduling, good pay
Cons
Lots of nights and weekends
Amazing Company
REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Libertyville, ILMay 21, 2018
The best environment that I've ever worked in. Team oriented, excellent leaders and quality staff. Good food and the best service. Pay was $13.50 an hour.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long shifts
Very fun parties to cater
Server (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILJanuary 22, 2018
They would steal pour tips.(The Function Director) Our shares were less. Other than that it was fun to meet famous people and attend so many weddings.
Pros
A lot of food, Amazing tips from nice hosts.
Cons
When they took the tips.
Fun and very productive
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILSeptember 21, 2016
Good company where your able to learn new things everyday and gain more knowledge. A typical day at work would be set up for an event, give great service, break everything down but also have fun while at work.
Sales team is first class!
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoyed my time working there. Not knowing when you start or when you get out on a daily basis can be a bit troublesome. I absolutely loved the sales team!
Great friendly atmosphera with good benefits, free lunch, and tips.
On-Site Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILOctober 31, 2015
Nice place to work and learn about different kinds of food and wines.
Great working environment with friendly staff, team work is one of the most important things about this company. Good benefits with a flexible schedule.
As a Caterer or Service Rep. I would say that the hardest thing would be learning to deal with different kinds of customers who expect nothing but the best, a challenging goal to reach !
Every day is different, as you could have a boring day in the suburbs or a hectic day in the city at the end is satisfactory and rewarding.
Pros
Big chance to make tips, free lunch, and great co-workers.
Cons
Very hard to get raise unless you become a supervisor.
excellent
Head Chef/ Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 24, 2015
Great place too work. Supportive owner. Everybody loved their job. Great perks. Good traveling benefits. Fun to go too work. Loved everybody that work there.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catering By Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4