Caterpillar

United States5,247 reviews

Found 5,247 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,534 reviews

Awesome Intership Experience

Featured review

Caterpillar selected this as a representative review
I highly recommend this internship for students looking to gain experience in the manufacturing field. I was given the opportunity to work on several different projects, that expanded my knowledge in several different areas of manufacturing. While I enjoyed the work I did at Caterpillar, my co-workers were what made my time there special. I had very little manufacturing experience before this internship and the way everyone there was willing to take their time to help me showed a lot about the workplace culture of Caterpillar.

Okay

Good place to work. There was limited room for advancement. Management was not in sync with the employees. They preach quality over quantity but production goals all that seem to matter.

Caterpillar insights

Based on 2,326 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Eh. It’s an Ok workplace. Some decent managers.

This is a factory. Keep in mind if you can’t work then you are of no use to them and they have no problem walking you out. Try building a relationship with managers and supervisors. This will keep you out of trouble and get you contacts if you want to switch job roles or even can’t make it in to work.

Great Place To Be

Overall great place to work been there 25+ years and I am my only hold back for advancement and pay increase.tuition assistance if you want to continue schoo

Pros

Clean, safe, plenty of time off

Cons

Nome

revolving door of temps and permanent employees

A typical work day is redoing work that was done improperly the first time with no repercussions to the original wiring tech , so , no need to do the job correctly, just rush through and you pass muster in the eyes of management. How they actually survive as a business entity is a miracle and largely is due to the limited options in the industry for the type of product they provide.

Pros

pay rate is mediocre for the times and the expectations, They do have quarterly gainsharing that is a plus, decent benefits and good climate control for a warehouse environment.

Cons

inadequate training, super stressful work environment, lack of guidance, management pushing an employee without repercussion, trolling high schools for potential employees seems a bit desperate, Physical altercations between employees, to include weapons in the building?

Needs a great deal of work on management.

Poor management quality. Supervisors show little to no compassion for fellow co workers. A leader leads by example but most supervisors take days off or leave during the day but expect their co workers to remain and finish and not miss days. Management seems to rather fire or manipulate employees into quitting rather than eliminate toxic supervisors/management. Lacks teamwork and the ability to want what’s truly best for good workers. Instead of wanting to elevate good workmanship they rather manipulate workers into either doing what they want or firing them.

Not a happy environment, CAT is strong, UAW is paid by CAT under the table.

Its a decent place to work at if you dont have a family. To them a worker with a family is a burden. They want all single teenage boys to work there. It is strange. You have the opportunity to work 30 days amonth but if you cant you will get forced out. If you have health problems you arent a good worker. You are dumb too. I recommend not mentioning anything to engineers or team leads. Team leads are snraky UAW members that get 600$ bonuses not 300.

Pros

Freelunch fridays 1st a month and leeway to walk for a snack all night. .

Cons

Saftey.

Great n easy

Is be a leader help people learn encourage motivate we r all a team not 1 or 2 just Team... I loved being there I hit my 100 day mark but the bad part I wasn't even on the roster to move up to Cat.. I was fast n good step up every single day I moved the line like if I am drilling pipe at a oil rig

Ok

Working for caterpillar was a good experience overall. The good was loving my machine operating job and learning new skills. The bad was the extra drama between employees and the pay rate.

Field mechanic

The pay has been good for a lot of years but lately they are not keeping up with everyone else. Management has been good for a lot of years but changes implemented in 2019. Has caused hard times for mechanics. I’m sure it will change again. Probably after some really hard times. Most of the employees are good. Everyone has some bad apples. Hardest part of the job is work home balance. The fact is they don’t care about your home or life. The best part is you will work on locations and projects that are interesting and difficult. It will challenge you mentally, physically, and even spiritually.

Pros

Decent pay, and lots of work.

Cons

Management team is no help currently. You will be on project locations for months.

Good pay and benefits but the work can be very stressful

Lots of pressure to constantly push your teams to meet goals including forcing overtime daily. Cross functional support can be limited due to "not my job mentality"

great coworkers atrocious management

great co-workers interesting workfavoritism rampant advancement is based on who you know not what you know lots of forced OT but only for certain shifts and departments

Good part time job for a college student

I got moved to a different position my first day there. Once I got used to it it wasn’t bad. My team lead is very understanding about my schedule and willing to let me move it however I wish to. They also prioritize safety and take it very seriously. Overall I enjoy working for CAT and would recommend it if you’re considering it.

Pros

I get benefits as a part time employee which is nice. Nice break room. Good management.

Challenging and fulfilling

Once you learn your tasks, It becomes a very nice environment. The cons are no wage increases until the contract expires (every 6 years). Opportunities are offered to escalate better positions.

Best place Ive ever worked

Fantastic place to work, people are awesome, the job is challenging and fun. They do not pay what the average standard is for like positions but this is the best place Ive worked in 33 years

Pros

Cons

low pay

Management is clueless. They have no common sense. They don’t or have never done the job but know the best way to do things or how long something should take.

great place to work, god benefits, long hours. Sometimes management does not create clear goal. Caterpillar provides flexible hours and most of the managers does not micromanages.

Pros

paid Over Time, good vacations days, good insurance rates

Cons

lack of communication, advancement

Bland

Not an inclusive place to work, must be part of the club to advance your position. Does not care about developing employees to their potential. LACKLUSTER

Horrible

It’s a horrible place to work it will kill you. Multiple deaths in less than six months. Nothing changes no proper Lung protection but they’ll show you how bad silica is for you.

Loved it here

Good place to Work and you going to make good Money!! But meet the new people there was a plus to me coming all the way from Sumter Sc the environment was most definitely different but it was all love.. they Loved me there!!!

Production

Loved working at caterpillar everyday. Worked super hard and made great product for customers. It was loud working around the machine but when we got to work kinda forgot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Caterpillar.
Powered byComparably