Caterpillar Employee Reviews

Found 3,284 reviews matching the search See all 4,824 reviews
Most of the Job are easy to learn.
Quality Specialist II (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJuly 17, 2018
The Uniform Style is Nice, Along w/ the Work Hrs. 7-3.
Standard Work Is simple as long as you have the basic education, Ex: Being Able to Reading, following Instructions, & operate a Computer on a Basic level(Such as signing off on your Work).
There really Big on SAFETY and 5S.
2 breaks and a 20 min. lunch during a 8 hr. Shift.
Lunch is paid for therefore you are not allowed to leave the premises.
horrible mangment
Main line assembler (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 17, 2018
I hated working there management was the worst I have ever seen and was treated poorly and discriminated against by a co-worker and nothing was done about it.
The hours can be rough
Swing Reach Operator (Current Employee) –  Corinth, MSJuly 17, 2018
CAT has a safety first culture and they actually mean it. Every accident and potential accident is thoroughly investigated and accessed in order to prevent future accidents. You are expected to complete a minimum amount of tasks during your shift but not if it gets in the way of safety.

The hours at CAT are consistent in that you WILL get your 40 hours a week. There are times when you may work up to 13 days in a row (getting off every other Sunday.) This is my only complaint with working at CAT: the hours. My daughter lives 2 hours away so I only get to see her when I have a day off. There have been times when I've only gotten to see her once every 2 weeks. For a single, young person with no children, it can be a great opportunity to make a good amount of money while still enjoying your work. For a family oriented person, it can be a bit harsh.

Overall, I love working for CAT. I don't feel dread when I start making my way to work. Having consistent weekends off is the only thing I wish for. Everything else is wonderful.
Pros
Paid lunch and breaks, tons of overtime, great benefits, safety first environment
Cons
Mandatory overtime, sometimes go weeks before having a day off
Fast-paced environment with team work
Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for Caterpillar. Everyday brought a new and exciting challenge that tested your ability to think on your feet, use your cognitive and analytical skills. Working with my colleagues was a plus! I would have preferred a permanent position but I knew that due to the global downturn during that time, that it would only be a contract position. I feel blessed that my contract was extended as long as it did.
fun place to work
Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 15, 2018
I was a contractor to 2 major IT companies. The first one was pure HP UNIX system administration. A well established team of admins - what a great place to work. But, the company wanted me to become their employee and not a contractor. I stayed with my contracting company, and went to the next contract
Pros
good pay
Awesome work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 14, 2018
There were many opportunities for advancement at Caterpillar in the 14 yrs that I worked there. Everyone worked for a common goal and everyone had a chance for their voice to be heard.
Pros
everything
Forklift DR sit down
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 12, 2018
Slip sheet clamp sit down propane electric RF unit scanner load and unloading putting material in right locations up in racks line trucker double forklift hyster forklift crane spotter billings
Pros
Cons
Yes 15 min
Productive all the time.
Assembly line (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXJuly 12, 2018
I really enjoyed working here if you like fast paced, standing on your feet, doing different things you will like it. I loved it. If you like working long and a lot of hours this is the job for you.
its a fun workplace
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 12, 2018
I started in september working part time because my ft position didnt pay me anything. The environment is something you would see at any warehouse. Great supervision by staff leads and managers. Very communicative about the work that you do there. Managers are very talkative about building relationships and trust. Its a fast pace moving environment, you have to pack and pull things off shelf, precision is key. I would give it 8 out of 10 stars because it is a small warehouse. not hard to get along with everyone. everyone is nice and just want to do their work and go home to their families.
Pros
sometimes get free lunch and ice cream. if your in pain, you get to rest for a bit or go home, the people are great their, fun environment.
Cons
short breaks, only 1 location to get water, rf scanner is very slow sometimes
fast paced and demanding at times
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJuly 11, 2018
fast paced and demanding at times not always but the management was the worst part about this job then the pay was not enough if you are trying to make it alone
overall good company
Tig welder (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 11, 2018
Caterpillar was a decent company to work for, but sometimes what management promised and what was delivered was contrdicary. If the plant had not relocated, I would probably still be working there today.
Good atmosphere good people.
Field Service Technician I (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 11, 2018
Good pay and fair company to work for. I enjoyed my years with this company the people were great to work with and the customer base was very diverse.
Pros
enjoyable place to work
Don't Ever Come Here
Fabricator/Welder (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 9, 2018
My advice to anyone - don't even try working here. This place is a complete joke. When I say "complete joke", I mean that literally. Their product quality is below what you'd expect from a "world class" company. You'd be best finding a job at one of their competitors for better pay and better hours.

Their management team is absolutely trashy. They talk to their employees like garbage, threaten them constantly, and even go as far as walking them out when you do the right things. They care more about quantity than quality, you'll realize that almost immediately after you start working there.

Don't expect to have a life here. If you're not battling layoffs, you're battling forced overtimes and weekends. If you don't meet their "deadlines" get ready to have even more "deadlines" dropped on your face at a moment's notice. Then get ready to get burned out due to 10 hour days + mandatory weekends.
Pros
There are no pros in a corrupt business.
Cons
The entire company... Top down.
Enjoyed my Engineering Analyst job at Caterpiillar.
Release Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denison, TXJuly 9, 2018
Reviews exceeded and goals met. Worked in Engineering department as Release Analyst and worked closely with engineers to compile and correct ECN!s on a daily basis. Fast pace office environmental structure. Computer based with knowledge of Word, Excell and some PowerPoints presentations.
Work well with others. Problem solving solutions and maintained detailed parts list.
Pros
Benefits, great working environment.
Cons
Short breaks if at all, sometimes no breaks.
Fun while it lasted
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJuly 8, 2018
Good place to work. Good benefits. Raises once topped out are few and far between. Loved my co-workers. Most of management was great but like any company there’s bad ones too.
It was a good job
Caterpillar Senior Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 8, 2018
I like the hours, people, location and management. Also like my hours. Benefits was very good. The area we all worked in seemed close in confinment sometimes.
Pros
hours
Cons
small area where we all sat.
I enjoyed working there
Material Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mahomet, ILJuly 8, 2018
I like the hours I worked there, liked the actual job itself, and and management. Benefits were excellant. Worked closed to my home.
My supervisor was very understanding when I first started about giving enough time to understand job.
Pros
Hours and pay
Cons
sometimes stress was very high
fun place to work
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAJuly 8, 2018
this company is far most to work for a clean place friendly people from all walks of life very good I did my work and they were very pleased the way that it was done in the time allowed
Cons
overall a great place
Nice job to work
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 7, 2018
Caterpillar helped me better my communication skills and work skills. Their are many different cultural people that come to work there. I learned more about other people lives and it helped me as a person.
Somewhat flexible
QA Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  East Peoria, ILJuly 6, 2018
Working there showed who not to work for. It's a Midwestern company and their culture is not to my liking. However if you enjoy the midwest caterpillar is the place to work
Pros
Many holidays
Cons
Not much overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K
41.6K

Diversity score

56out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Caterpillar.

Powered by Comparably