Caterpillar Employee Reviews

Found 3,578 reviews matching the search See all 5,231 reviews
A very productive and fast paced environment
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 17, 2018
Working for Caterpillar has been a very knowledgeable experience. This job is not for everyone but if you are willing to learn and love to learn new things then this is the job for you.
excelent
Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 16, 2018
the job was a wonderful experience I love the job I love the work place. The job taught me anything I put my mind too I can get it done. they trained me to ride a forklift and taught me a lot of things I never knew about.
Wasn't bad working here just poor management
Diesel Mechanic/Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Peoria, ILDecember 16, 2018
Typical day would be assembling, fixing and ordering parts for bulldozers. Learned a lot about engines, bulldozers, and pipelayers. Management was very unprofessional. Work place culture I would say much like a high school. Most enjoyable thing about working there was operating the equipment and working the repair floor.
Cons
Job security and advancedment. Not here
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNDecember 16, 2018
Day starts out with company propaganda and safety discussions as are numbers from your well rested supervisor. In the warehouse you will grab a cart and your pick sheet and either put away frieght or pick freight for delivery. You will be powerwalking your entire shift and hot.
There are a lot of deadlines to adhear to every day and your pretty much on your own as the little help you do get is always at the end of the night and usually a mad dash. Could be easier if supervisors would get involved more often.
Inventorty control is hard at the mandated #s they want . Pick,count,package, and drop off to shipping bins and verify. Couple mistakes and write up and the shown the door. No one makes it there for more then couple weeks.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
too many
THis is the summary
Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, IllinoisDecember 12, 2018
The managers were generally okay to work for until a unqualified and incapable manager was put in charge of the assembly line and made the job a living place in the darkness of all evil.
Quick learning process
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 12, 2018
I really love this job great benefits co workers are so cool to get alone with you don't have to worries about a thing they will help you be great in be there to help you succeed my best job ever thank you Caterpillar
Pros
Very good job
productive work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 11, 2018
continued progress daily, 5S program, robotics overall, daily functions with my employees and management. Safety programs and PPE. Assembly Dept. robotics dept.
Caterpillar is undergoing significant transformation
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILDecember 10, 2018
Caterpillar is shifting from a North American based multi national to a global company with a legal home base in the USA.
In my 35+ years with the company, we went through several shifts.
The most exciting shift focused on growth and innovation. During the 2014 to 2016 time frame, the company slashed numerous initiatives in order to stay solvent. This greatly reduced appetite for new product and market development.
Pros
Great name recognition, global brand name.
Cons
No longer commands employee loyalty as in the past.
work place culture
Product Service Engineer - Draglines ERS (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIDecember 10, 2018
Treated equally.
Respected by peers, And treated with respect.
Looked toward their future and yours.
Training always available.
Worked as a team.
Travel and work areas
Pros
travel
Cons
Pay, Respected in work place. Training
Felt like everyone was family.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Dyersburg, TNDecember 9, 2018
Great place to work. Manager was kinda a pushover and some people got away more than others. If you overlook that it was okay. Temps don't go full time.
good work place
Quality Control Inspector-forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXDecember 9, 2018
Cat is a good company to work for thezy have a good magniment and good opportunity to move up good environment with friendly people. Good hours and good pay
I would never advise working for Cat, due to cutthroat corporate culture in a cyclical demand business
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  South Milwaukee, WIDecember 7, 2018
Unproductive meetings / projects by Corporate goons detracted from getting my job done without working non-paid overtime.

I learned that when a major corporation purchases a locally managed profitable company it is time to look for a new job. Few companies invest in profitable companies and do not change anything, which would be a different outcome.

Corporate department management are only interested in making themselves look needed with out regard to stockholder interests.

Dismal, don't drink the yellow cool-aide.

Culture after Cat buyout was unbearable.

Being told how to do the job by out of state people without a clue of shop constraints, production schedules and the size of parts.

The pay and benefits at Caterpillar were great at the Supervisor / Manager levels
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Caterpillar culture
Great place to work especially if your hired on permanently
Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Griffin, GADecember 6, 2018
Should make temps feel as equivalent to permanent employees shouldn’t have temps training temps and not getting proper pay for it could give temps a better incentive for the work they provide for the company
get out what you put in
WELDER (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 6, 2018
caterpillar is a good place to work if you do not mind forced overtime, making decent money and being away from your family a lot. Saying yes all the time to management requests helps you to shine at Caterpillar.
Pros
wages
Cons
forced overtime
my lifetime goal but it was contract
Web IT (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 6, 2018
I loved working for caterpillar. The employees made you feel welcome and treated you like equals. Everyone was wonderful and great. Because this was only a 6 month contract, I did not have benefits but I had great experience with computer science and updating and moving their webpage. Also had great liveable pay.
Pros
great pay, great people, trained well
Cons
no benefits, short contract there
Poor management and rare advancement
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 5, 2018
I only liked working there for a short time because I was able to catch up on bills working 70 hours a week. But it takes a toll on your body and the managers were not professional.
Pros
food sold on site.
Cons
working 12-14 hour shifts
A great place to start a career
CAB Assembly, Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 5, 2018
I owe Caterpillar more than I could possibly relay in the expanse of this small window. From the constantly engaging, changing environment, (or lack of a changing environment should you prefer that), to the challenging problems, the family atmosphere, a culture that drives improvement. There are not enough good things I can say about this company. Not that there are not problems, which exist in every company. But for my time at Caterpillar, it was a great experience, that I will always be thankful for.
Pros
Nearly everything
Cons
Monthly pay schedule
21 yrs at CAT and I did well.
Level 2 analyst/unix admin level 2 (Former Employee) –  East Peoria, ILDecember 5, 2018
Some rough times but all was pretty good even through the rough times. Had a great career with no regrets. Even through the 2008 bad economic times the company remained fair and did what it could to keep employees and protect the corporation as well.
Sucks
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Lebec, CADecember 4, 2018
Did not like how management deals with situations very poorly theres a lot of favortisome around the warehouse they never resosl v e anithing. And pay sucks
productive
Material Handler/Inventory Control (Current Employee) –  Griffin, GADecember 4, 2018
Material Handler basically providing material and part to production as needed.
Since i been at caterpillar i've learned quite a couple of new skills as in driving kalamara forklift also a yard dog as in automatic truck trailer lift.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.

52K
41.7K

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

29%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss