Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens Employee Reviews

It’s not Charity place at all, it’s only profit oriented organization
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Far RockawaySeptember 2, 2018
The main real goal is productivity, productivity, and productivity. The reason for it is always deficit of money. The real reason for deficit is no-brainer approach to manage as people who manage in reality are not competent to make it work right without sacrificing clients’ care. The person who is in charge of Corporate Compliance making sure that clients’ care is the main priority is the same person whose only real agenda is to show good financial numbers. It’s just pathetic. CEO promised to visit our location but never did! I am wondering if he is fully aware of what’s really going on in his place but doing nothing to change it or he lives in his wonder world. And this place call themselves Catholic Charities. Just unbelievable!

I just wasted my years there....
Benefits
Cons
Very toxic, chaotic, and not safe place to work.
Terrible place to work
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 9, 2018
CCBQ, especially the corona behavioral health clinic, is a mess. Pros: great staff, as they are a kind, dedicated, cohesive group that truly cares about client outcomes and about each other. People help each other and stick together. Staff appreciates each other. Good pay and good benefits. Room for advancement (from therapist to supervisor after obtaining LCSW or from supervisor to director).
Cons, which outweigh the Pros:
Supervisors do not get much individual supervision (this may be changing since I stopped working there as an assistant director was hired who will supervise the supervisors).
Intake is open access walk-in, twice weekly, and as much as supervisors try to keep it organized, it is chaotic and stressful for all staff.
Management is punitive and does not seem to understand the daily stress of the job. Upper management and HR are aware of the high turnover but management has not made any effort to improve working conditions to reduce the attrition rate.
Caseloads are too high for therapists and supervisors. Supervisors are overworked and work several hours before or after their scheduled days are over, including on weekends in the office or using a work laptop (required for supervisors), with no overtime pay. Therapists and supervisors are expected to complete all documentation (progress notes and treatment plans) concurrently, which is nearly impossible. They end up writing poor, not very detailed progress notes in order to keep up with the paperwork workload. There is very little training for new and current staff members, and hardly and
  more... professional development offered. Staff are expected to use time off to attend outside trainings.
Staff get written up and given a new 3 month probation for poor performance. However, the acting "director" does not allow for improvement, and staff are quick to be terminated if mistakes are made during this time. The weekly individual supervision that is required is not necessarily provided to staff that get written up (especially if they are supervisors, as the "director" isn't available).
Turnover is incredibly high. 37 staff members, including supervisors, therapists, directors, and administrative staff, left or were fired during the nearly 2 years that I worked at CCBQ. 3 staff members were fired during the last month that I worked there. This turnover is detrimental to clients. New staff are often left with caseloads of clients who have not been contacted in some time and paperwork that needs to be completed immediately. Clients who have been receiving services for 3 years or more reported to me that over the years, their therapist has changed at least 4 times. Clients' cases are closed too quickly due to poor attendance without taking into account clients' life stressors that affect attendance.
Bottom line: if you are a new therapist who recently graduated from school, think hard before accepting a therapist position with CCBQ. If you are an experienced therapist or supervisor, think even harder about it. I do not recommend this agency to my worst enemy.
Pros
good pay and good benefits, great staff
Cons
management, high turnover, low morale, caseloads are too high
It's what you make it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2018
It could be great if you work towards a promotion. They promote from within which is awesome. Management is not so good until you get promoted to middle management.
Clinical Supervisor, Corona-You don’t want to work here
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 17, 2018
Management is punitive, not empathetic, unsupportive, very little training for position. I did not have individual supervision even once in the past 6 months. Management doesn’t seem to care at all about staff of clients. Very unethical workplace environment that bordered on a hostile workplace due to acting Director’s and upper management’s lack of any empathy and good social skills treating staff. Their standards are really low as they really only care about productivity making caseloads too high rather than quality of care which in reality is extremely low as no room left for real patients’ care. Main goal is only productivity. And their workers perform poorly because nobody gives them real supervision and teaching. But when workers fail the only way Director/Management deal with them is to write them up and then firing. This process management call as “low tolerance”. I call it zero insight into their incompetent skills with dealing with problems and their staff.
I worked uncompensated on my own time or I would never be able to finish my work. I had laptop and spent at least 6 months using it mostly at home in order to keep up. Turnover is very high. Clients don’t feel really cared having every 2-3 months new workers and waiting to be seen often up to several hours because of overbooked and walking patients. Clients are also being overcharged when they are undocumented. Morale is very low and stress level is very high.
Upper management should start thinking about quality of patients’ care first, change intake process, provide time for paperwork. They have to make a commitment
  more... to retaining staff. And they have to stop asking their acting current Directors, Clinical Supervisors and social workers to write positive reviews after they see true negative ones to look better. People who read these reviews are not stupid. They should rather make changes inside to keep their staff and change work ethic and environment. Everywhere nowadays in mental health system workers are under a lot of pressure, stress, and have to multitask. But nowhere one could see such ongoing frequent turnover of social workers, Supervisors, Clinical Directors who are leaving Catholics Charities maximum within year (but mostly within 6-8 months) after starting their job. It take place not because something is wrong with them but rather with upper management who created such conditions when staff have to leave.  less
Pros
Good pay, supportive coworkers, good benefits. I was promoted from within.
Cons
Low standards of care, incompetent upper management
Stay away from Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 13, 2018
I started this job because I thought it was for a good cause but it appeared that it was not the case. Workload was completely unrealistic. On top of scheduled every fifteen minutes patients( a lot of them with severe mental illness, high risk and recently discharged from inpatient psychiatric unit) and always overbooking that was quite normal for this place, there were always walking patients. And it was not just that I was seeing patients and writing notes. For this time frame I had to familiarize myself with all of these patients and their histories, to do IM injections of medications, to answer calls from other patients, pharmacies and therapists, to do PA's, and etc. I felt like everyone was asking for unrealistic things from me. I didn’t take breaks. I have barely seen my kids since I started this job.
Pros
Medical Insurance
Cons
Very stressful, threatening and hostile environment
Overworked, Under Paid, Never appreciated
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 19, 2018
The general theme is that Catholic Charities does not care about their employees. Case loads are too high, expectations of staff are physically impossible, HR is non-responsive, upper management is completely disconnected from their clinics, the list goes on. I had trouble with my health insurance and multiple times receiving paycheck on time. Both issues took weeks to resolve. If you're a woman they over six specific kinds of birth control.
Productive place
Intake & Referral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 29, 2018
When i come in, in the morning i make sure the printer has paper and sit at my desk . it is a very relaxing job. i do my best to assist all callers immediately.
Cons
i need more money
Holy smoke blown up you bum
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYApril 10, 2018
Catholic Charities has decent management but I found that the work load was incredibly unbearable. Most days I spent working beyond my assigned hours. I worked at one of the clinics and let me tell you, it was like working in a factory. I felt more like an overqualified data entry clerk than a qualified professional. I had no life during the weekdays. In fact, it felt like my tiny brain would explode many times, along with high stress.

If you have ADD or are prone to stress, this is NOT the job for you because you will get tons of cases dumped on you on a regular basis. It's like holding an unbrella in sunami conditons. I could not make it on this job to save my life. However, if you like a fast moving environment and tons of paperwork, checking countless emails, and having long working hours, this would probably be a good fit for you.
Pros
Competitive salary. Polite and professional staff. Excellent supervision.
Cons
Loads of paperwork. Long (unofficial) hours. Quick burnout rate and high stress.
Nice place to work
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2018
Maintain professional approach and be able to relate in their language. Case notes and home visits are the main core of those positions. Help the community is rewarding experience
The worst management place ever!
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 20, 2018
This is not a good place to work.. Management does not care or respect employees, use of bullying tactics.The work for clients is a'factory' line, has unrealistic delivery expectation and overwhelming paper work. The work environment is extremely oppressive and unhappy.
Pros
Client work
Cons
Management is Micro-Managed & Extremely Oppressive.
Catholic Charity
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 21, 2018
Catholic Charities continued the mission of helping our fellow human. Caring and understanding is the mission of the Church. All are welcome and all are helped.
Do not work here
Case Manager II (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 13, 2018
The company is only interested in numbers, not actually helping people. Management has unrealistic expectations, the caseloads are ridiculously high. Save yourself.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Everything else
Low pay
Rehabilitation Aide (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 8, 2018
The company is good but they do not pay well for BA Degrees. They need to work on supporting the staffs that are not in management. But what they lack in income support they do provide a family kind of environment for the employees. One thing that also feels is that they do not promote upwards with the staff and encourage them to grow education wise.
Pros
Family environment.
Cons
Lack of professional growth, or supportive of their staff educational needs.
poor
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 9, 2018
Poor management. No morals. You cannot expect to perform your job when management does not know how to perform their job. A lot of blaming and pointing the finger at the workers. Management never takes responsibility for their lack of management. Low morales, too many "clicks." Management is always plotting and scheming.
Pros
Paid vacation
Cons
No trainings related to developing the worker to the work that they do.
Pleasant work environment. Rewarding to see company reaching out to the most needy.
Contractor-Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 18, 2017
This was a temporary job. There were no benefits.
General Ledger account analysis, payroll tax analysis,
reconciling billings to receivables, ad hoc assignments.
Management was fair. Workplace culture was collaborative and supportive.
Enjoyed reconciling and cleaning up accounts.
Pros
Supportive and collaborative workplace culture
Cons
No benefits because this was a temporary position. Corporate restructuring in 2016.
Employed But Looking
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 12, 2017
No organization in management. And in order to do your job you have to be supported. There is a lot of pointing fingers but no solutions. But if you are looking for experience, and to get on your feet, then apply. But do not get caught up here. Some people do stay in the company for YEAR, because they get settled. And those individuals get away with murder. What i have noticed is in some positions the turn over rate is high. The pay is not good, fairly low Health Insurance is pretty high.
Pros
Many Paid Days Off
Cons
Low Pay Rate
Portential to be a very relaxed environment.
Direct Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 25, 2017
Depends where you work and what department. Overall HR is very professional, timely and helpful. Some staff are courteous and easy going as well.
Managers having to handle situations ( they need some more training).
Pros
Making a difference in the clients life.
Cons
Management handling incidents
no game
Handyman/Porter (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 12, 2017
Nice Place to work learned how to work close to tenants and family and others contractors vendors, co-workers and pop Manager, have fune in the community room.
Pros
one hour lunch
the schooll was located in east new york brooklyn
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  site monitorSeptember 7, 2017
The children at this school were very effective in the ELA subject. But when the children found out the school was going to shut down the students stop paying attention and started doing there own thing.
Great place to work and help people in need
Senior Housing Support/Data Entry/ Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 6, 2017
A great place to work and help people in need, I was in the pop development, senior housing support, and I also did and still doing volunteer work for them.
Pros
free coffee and water
Cons
it was a temp.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about