CB2 Employee Reviews

Low wages and no incentive to sell more
Design Associate (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAJune 30, 2019
Low wages and no incentive to sell more. They pound hitting sales goals but their is not incentive for employees who go over and beyond or who always meet their goal.
Do not work here!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAJune 6, 2019
This company makes a ton of money per day and only pays the upper management staff while regular employees Slave away. They are all miserable and gossips about each other on a daily basis. Horrible work environment.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Make no money
June 10, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experience and feedback. Please contact our Associate Relations team as we welcome an opportunity to discuss further with you.

mostly bad, sometimes a little bit good. hit or miss - buyer beware
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 30, 2019
Any given day at this job can be completely different from the next - it all depends on what day of the week you're working, who else is working during your shift, which manager is on duty, and in some cases where in the store you're being assigned (some stores have multiple levels, and if they stick you up on another floor or a remote section then good luck not dying either of boredom from absolutely no stimulation or stress from having to manage a tense customer with no one around to assist you).

BIG perk of this job is the dress code - no aprons, no uniform, no restricted color palette. Ostensibly we can't wear more than one "casual" item but the only trouble I've seen anyone ever get into was for wearing a blatantly brand-emblazoned hoodie, so there's that. People wear blue lipstick, pink mustaches, full-on capes, septum piercings, hats, a necklace that just says "YASS", and no one blinks an eye. Also, the store hours are very reasonable. If you're just a lowly sales associate, the soonest you'll ever be expected to come to work is MAYBE 9:30, and you'll never leave later than around 9pm unless you're drafted for inventory (which in its own weird, miserable way is kind of fun, like a biannual slumber party where all you do is math problems). All this depending on each store's hours, of course, but it's furniture retail. You're never going to miss the last train home.

Other than that, the pay is garbage and now that the store credit card is the undisputed absolute numero uno defcon 1 priority (above, I don't know, helping customers and/or selling the actual product???)
  more... it's especially hard to really be gung-ho for the corporate culture. We're dinged for accepting returns for ANY purchase, online or in-store, which makes all the associates scatter like ants when we see someone approach the store with a CB2 bag or box. Half our day is spent retrieving online pickups for sales we never will get credit for, but will suffer for if the customer decides to return it to us. The playlist NEVER CHANGES except at the holidays, and then it goes right back to the same 20 songs on an infinite loop for months and months and months on end. What even are some of these song choices??? Also, recently we've switched to a different walkie system and it is buggy and inefficient compared to good old fashioned walkie-talkies but like anything at this company it's going to be years before they realize what a detriment it is to our ability to serve customers effectively (remember when they tried to make us make sales on the iPads?).

It sure beats folding clothes or slinging corn dogs, but the pay is still rock bottom (less than minimum wage! Oh, but you get "~*~*commission*~*~", which means absolutely nothing unless your store somehow makes stratospheric sales - again, impossible when faced with nonstop returns of online purchases we had nothing to do with) and the expectations are higher. Like another reviewer noted, we're expected to offer interior design expertise for the same amount of money as the guy passing out teriyaki chicken on toothpicks in a mall food court. No offense to that guy (it's a living!) but you wouldn't necessarily trust him to help you make an informed decision about a $3000 sofa, would you? There's a reason the associate retention rate is abysmal, and it isn't solely due to the psychological trauma of having to stand on concrete floors for 8 hours a day while surrounded by the temptation of (debatably) comfy couches.

That said, and I want to stress, the job can vary wildly depending on management. I've worked under multiple managers and the differing levels of competence made a world of difference in the work environment. You can tell when someone knows what they're doing and is committed to making the store run smoothly for *everyone*, rather than just letting the plebeians at the associate level flounder while they try to appease the powers that be. This goes for any retail environment, not just CB2, but given the many moving parts this place entails, one facet of mismanagement from the person at the reigns can have intense ripple effects. Also, maybe pay effectively - particularly when you're exclusively opening stores in the country's most expensive cities - and maybe you can actually hire effectively, and your best employees won't be calling out sick for a lil sniffle and ultimately quitting in droves??

For prospective employees, I will say this: I have enjoyed many days working at this place. Sometimes I even look forward to coming in when I knew certain people will be working, and I occasionally leave work feeling invigorated from a job well done and pleasant company among co-workers and agreeable customers (they're out there!). It can be a diverse, dynamic workplace. I've made friends, harbored at least one unrequited crush, taken pregnancy tests, witnessed a literal fight, and pet a few hundred dogs, all within these walls. I came of age under the big orange dots' watchful eyes (RIP). Mostly, though, I try my hardest not to let anyone see me cry in the break room. Take that as you will.
Pros
we used to have holiday parties
Cons
the new tissue paper is way harder to wrap with
Management was completely biased and unprofessional
Stockroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 2, 2019
This place is good while you look for ANOTHER job. Human resources and corporate is a joke. Higher ups do not care about the well being of employees at all. The only time you get promoted is if you are part of the management clique.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
Management, toxic work environment, a lot of favortism and bias
January 7, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a member of the Associate Relations team where we can find out more details and follow up with the appropriate senior level management.

interesting
stock associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 13, 2018
Stacking, unloading stock checks online orders needed taking dowstairs to backdoor for customer sometimes things would be slow and i lose interest but its a pretty cool job.
Everyday Life
FULL TIME SALES & VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Georgetown Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2018
Get to work around 6-7am, begin unloading furniture and pallets from loading dock, and account for items that are for customer orders. Restock the floor, begin construction of large display items. Assist customers with questions and selling.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Pay
It was cool...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLAugust 1, 2018
The CB2 that I was in, was really cool. I left in 2016 because of a manager that I REALLY didn’t like. He just wasn’t fit to be a manager at CB2, the assistant manager at the time was WAAAY better & he deserved to be the store manager but I digress.

Most days it was really slow, so you would have to spend most of your day cleaning or walking the floor. On the days it was busy, those days were interesting because you’re actually doing something. The customers weren’t bad at all, I mean it’s retail so of course you’re gonna have rude customers, but to me it wasn’t often.

CB2 was a chill place, the furniture was definitely nice. I left because of distance & I took public transportation. So there will be times we will leave at 10:00pm because we aren’t allowed to tell the customers that we’re closed or closing (idk if that has changed now) & it would take me 2 hours to get home.
Pros
Co-workers, discount
Cons
Not being able to tell customers we’re closed, A LOT of slow days
review
SR. SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLJuly 2, 2018
I loved working here, but it was very difficult to get promoted because it is based on tenure and experience and most of the staff stays working in the store. Also the compensation amount makes it difficult to keep as a just one job.
July 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy to hear you love CB2!

Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2018
The CB2 associates and managers are very fun to work with. There is always lively music playing and if you like talking to customers, then you will like this job. Restocking and cleaning are a mundane part of the job, but otherwise, this job is a great part time.
Pros
Free pizza/ food every now and then
Cons
Working weekends
May 14, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy to hear you love Crate!

Fun place to work for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 17, 2017
Assistant manager made it a toxic place to work for most fellow employees. Other managers knew what was going on and did nothing!

The pay was too little for workload. They wanted me to be an interior designer at a retail salary
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bullying from assistant manager, little pay
February 20, 2018

Fun place to work at, but management could be better
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 12, 2016
The products are great. It's definitely a bright, colorful, modern, quirky atmosphere. My favorite time of the year is the holidays so a seasonal holiday sales position is nice. If you are a student or someone who is full time looking for another part time job, it's a great place to work because of flexible scheduling.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
bad management
Great team
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2016
Managers and associates are willing to help and do what is needed. A very supportive and health work environment. Friendly, kind, and professional.
The Work Environment of a Lifetime
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 16, 2015
CB2...a wonderful place to flourish and to learn more about people, customer service & relations, and a wonderful environment to grow as an individual. There are some cons to the work environment. There are days that are very slow and, the draw back is that when there are slower days you aren't guaranteed a large sum of money for the day. There is also shared commission. It does make for fun competition between employees.
Pros
great people, great work culture, hour breaks, discounts
Cons
NO full time positions, no benefits, not enough hours
Productive Environment to work in
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2015
Paid is not enough for the amount of work done, Customers expect you to be an interior design and redecorate their entire space.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, Understanding Co workers
Cons
Paid
The only place where work and casual have a home
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2015
CB2 is a great place to work they have time for you and the staff is a good size. So you know who your co-workers are and relate to them very well.
Pros
Soho NYC
Cons
limited hours, and ok in pay
Great experience, its a furniture store with a twist of modern art
Merchandise handler, Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is, being able to work with beautiful merchandise.
productive and a great environment to work in.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
At CB2 my fellow sales associates and managers are amazing, and helpful. It's an amazing place to work and grow in as an individual. A typical day simply consist of greeting customers and making them feel that furniture shopping should not be a process but enjoyable. i learned how to interact with customers as if they are my closes friends and not just a transaction to complete. the hardest part was to be comfortable and relaxed with the customers and not formal but with time i learned how to adapt to each individual customer.
Pros
the environment is amazing
Cons
I truly do not have anything negative to say about CB2
February 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

We’re so happy to hear you love CB2!

Good people, great location
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 9, 2012
Working at CB2 has opened me up to a broader range of clientele, which is good since I love to work with all kinds of people. The people I work with are hard workers themselves, and the management team is nice and easy to work with.