CBIZ Employee Reviews

Great Company
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 8, 2018
Great company to work for. Great benefits. Great work life balance. Good pay for the amount of work you do. No reason to complain. Only left because there wasn't room to move up.
Lost in the wilderness
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 2, 2018
Management team, HR, and others at the home office look for reasons to nitpick field technicians. Management was good at micro-management from afar and phone support (which is required to close a majority of all tickets) have waiting times up to 45 minutes or longer during peak times. I was ready to quit at many times but one Friday I received a call @ 9:15 from HR saying that she would be at my home in 15 minutes to "talk." She immediately said "we are severing our relationship" and asked for all the equipment back.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good
Cons
Regional Management teams can micro-manage their workers
too much
Tax and Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 13, 2018
Like most accounting firms they have to deal with busy season. They overwork their interns to a point they cannot take any classes on top of it and most programs do not allow for a semester break.
I will always appreciate the opportunity
Admin (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, OHApril 13, 2018
Unfortunately there has been a shift in focus and high turnover. The people that do work there are great! I learned a lot here and they do send you for the training or credentials that you want or need to do your job better.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Inconsistent
Accountant's beware
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 20, 2018
The business model of this firm is to acquire small accounting firms and merge them together without consideration of culture or logistics. I stayed two years, long enough to both be the most senior individual in the tax department and long enough to endure two failed mergers. I wouldn't ever consider working here and if you value your career and reputation stay away
Pros
None.
Cons
Literally everything you can think of from a garbage firm
Poor hours, pay, training and management. Decent benefits.
Senior Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 9, 2018
Typical day: Sit at your desk, catch up on emails, email clients for the millionth time hoping they finally send you the information you need. Track every minute of work because billable hours are everything to management. Work overtime. Work alone. Get in trouble sometimes for getting caught talking to people too often. Go home late at night and repeat.

I did learn a lot with several programs such as Quickbooks, Caseware, and Excel. I got a lot more experience with bookkeeping for small companies, which was nice.

Management: Only care about billable hours. Training is nearly non-existent. You'll get most of your CPE hours offered by the company for free, but the company picks the CPE courses and they're rarely useful to improving yourself. They like to tell you what you did wrong, but they'll rarely recognize anything you did well or take steps to help you improve. Also, every manager has their own preferences so you have to keep track of how each of them wants things done. Very little standardizing across managers or clients.

Culture: Work work work. You can talk a little but you better be working 99% of the time.

Hardest part: Hours and Pay. During tax season, you'll be working 80% more hours than the average Senior Accountant in the private sector, but paid significantly less.
Pros
Free dinners during Tax Season. Decent healthcare plan.
Cons
Hours, Pay, Training, Management
NEW ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 20, 2018
There is a lack of leadership who has knowledge of what needs to be done. Its about selling services instead of taking care of your employees. The front line employees are not setup for success.
Very helpful experience
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 11, 2018
This job really helped with getting experience during busy season at an accounting firm and furthered my knowledge in overall accounting which will help me in the future.
not recommended
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 11, 2018
wouldn't recommend working there. no real room for advancement.
no real company support, unless you work in the home office in Missouri. Minor mistakes get blown WAY out of proportion
Fantastic Company to work for great people and benefits.
Senior Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2018
Great company to work for, as an IT service technician there is a LOT of travel required. Flexible daily schedule is a pro and a con as you do not know if you are going to be busy daily.
Pros
Flexible Schedules, Great Management
Cons
Not the greatest health plan, lots of travelling required.
Poor Quality Management
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 30, 2018
My typical work day was 10-12 hours. I rarely took lunch as everything was a rush and there was very little communication or collaboration with my superiors/ The pay was ok, but it was not worth the amount of time I spent at the office and not with my family.
The outsourcing of a lot of the administrative tasks in China was a big blow for me as it was difficult to explain my Public Sector & local government clients that we outsource instead of adding jobs in our office.
Higher Management were very hypocritical and no concern for the associates lives and how their decisions affect their families.

It is a great place to work if on the Employee Benefits Side, but P&C, not so much.
Pros
Gret Plaza Location
Cons
not flexible or willing to accept remote work at times. Too many hours.
Fast paced environment
Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose/Work from homeJanuary 23, 2018
A fast paced environment with ever changing job duties. The hardest part of the job was getting retroactive adjustments from carriers when needed, but I was successful at this with special exceptions on an as needed basis.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Work from home
great
CLIENT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSJanuary 19, 2018
great place to get a bite to eat after work and get some fajita poppers and extreme fajitas and stuff like that. may get a margarita or a dinner to go from take out windo.
Steady Corporate Job
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDJanuary 18, 2018
CBIZ is not a bad place to work for if you're comfortable with your job. The upward movement in the company is kind of stagnant and getting a pay raise out of them is really difficult. However, they are very nice people, willing to talk to you at anytime, and try to make your job easy.
Pros
Steady, Slow, Quiet, Fun
Cons
A tad boring after a while
After acquisition culture changed to cut throat
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2018
After acquisition culture changed from collaborative to cut throat. The change was startling to the staff. Employee departures began even prior to the bonus for staying six months.
Benefits
Cons
Cut throat culture
Excellent company to work for
Payment Poster (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJanuary 13, 2018
We received our work for the day and were left to post payments. Management was very understanding and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work with no one looking over our shoulders.
Executive Assistant
HR & Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24017January 5, 2018
Busy day, great culture.
Hardest part of job is the lack of communication at times.
Wonderful manager, great people to work with..
Flexible hours.
Pros
Free coffee, water. Lots of free lunches, free hockey tickets, baseball tickets, REcognition program
Cons
Lack of communication, job advancement and training
Horrible place to work
Office Management (Former Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXDecember 26, 2017
CBIZ was a great place to work then they changed management. The new management was abrupt, rude, hateful and very unprofessional. We has to wear many hats for this company with little compensation.
Pros
I met a lot of great woment
Cons
management
Licensing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSDecember 19, 2017
Great people in the field and great coworkers. A typical day at work involved checking the database for upcoming renewals, applying for new licenses, scheduling continuing education classes.
Productive atomsphere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 14, 2017
Not micro managed however with the change in management there is a lack of support from management. On the job training, easy to obtain job skills needed to perform job. Flexible schedule.
Pros
hour lunch break, 2 15 minute breaks
Cons
Additional support needed from management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CBIZ. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight