CBSL Transportation Services, Inc Employee Reviews

Worst company in Pasadena!!
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 20, 2018
If you’re not related to, sleeping with, or married to someone in management, this is not the place for you!!
They hire you for one position and then you find yourself doing something totally different! Be careful as to not get too comfortable, you look up one day and you’re FIRED! Don’t let the smiles and invites to lunch, POW wows with the supervisor fool you, you are irreplaceable!!
Training is THE WORST! IlThe employee who trained me quit, then I was trained by someone who could barely do their job.... oh yeah she eventually got fired as well!! CBSL is a joke!!
Pros
Kiss but and you may be able to park in the managers parking lot!
Cons
Training, pay, management, cut throat, favoritism
good job
ibc Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2018
CBSL is a good place to work at and meet friends. i worked there for two years and what i liked most was the people, all hard working individuals that care about their job.
Pros
schedule
Cons
have to clan alot
Productivity
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 19, 2018
Daily inspections
Learning how weldon trailers
very pushy on what we do there
slow paced and not friendly
getting along with management
Going home for the day
Pros
Benefits and free lunch
Cons
gets very stressful at times
Too-Much Backstabbing - no care for employees - Turn and Burn
Depot Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 1, 2018
Family Owned - means family troubles.

Operations Manager was two-faced and wold stab you in the back without blinking.

Moved people in to positions that they would not succeed in, then fired them.
Misdirected Leadership
Depot/Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2017
The senior leadership is lacking in vision and unable to provide resources for its management team. The hourly workers are fantastic and dedicated but suffer as a result of high turn around in the management team.
great expereance
Forklift Operator,Tank Wash Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 5, 2017
CBSL was awesome to work for I leaned a lot from this company how to be part of a team and to work together I learned a lot of experience from this company.
not a good company
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LAJune 27, 2017
when you have no voice or a voice that can speak for you that's a problem
the work is up and down but if you like laid back this is the place for you to be
Nice place to work!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Reserve, LAJune 15, 2017
This is a wonderful place to work. It seems most everyone cares for each other. The Management is strong and will work with you and help you if you have a problem. Mind you the work is hard and you have to be on your A game but rewarding with monthly bonuses going to all employees.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
Training could be better.
Not a bad place to work.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 8, 2017
Fair place to work. They have hired some poor managers over time that can be a big pain, but the owner care about their employees and families. No place is perfect, and this place isn't the best at everything as related to employees, but it tries and makes corrections. The job is demanding and can be stressful at times, but I have never worked in the transportation industry in stress free job. There is allot of opportunity for overtime. I have had good and bad managers.
Pros
Pay, Overtime
Cons
Stressful at times
Good Company, Good Job, Nice People
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 8, 2017
Company has allot of different paths to promotion in different departments. They expect you to work hard and notice those who do. I wish they were better on giving feedback but all you have to do is ask. The benefits are really the best I have seen. They have a very basic formal training with most training being provided by long-term employees. There is a bunch of mechanics, tank cleaners, office people who have been with the company 10 plus years, so that should tell you something.
Pros
Health Insurance Cost, Managers who started as employees years ago and know the details of job
Cons
Overtime request on short notice
Good Place to Work, If you Work Hard
Depot Technician to Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 7, 2017
Company has clear expectations for those who work there, but you will not have your hand-held for long before they set you on your own with support and someone to ask questions of, with the exception of Safety items. For those, they support you pretty closely. If you have questions you can ask and get answers, but depending on position, don't expect to be told what to do minute by minute and understand the expectation for you so you can outperform. If you work well in this environment and appreciate a company that takes care of it's employees and treats those who work hard and smart than this is a great company. Advancement potential and longevity is awesome, if you work hard, smart, reliably. If you are lazy or need to be spoon-feed what you need to do next you might not be happy. The company is a good company that want's to do right, but doesn't always get it right the 1st time.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, Good Upper Management who support you, Excellent benefits
Cons
They are not organized as they could be on timely annual reviews, You have to stay on top of your manager to get a timely review, but you will get one
Great working for them, fun people
Shop administrative assistant, biller (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 15, 2017
It was great working for them , got to meet new friends enjoy helping others, learned new systems. Worked on inventory, ordered parts for shop and mechanics. worked with other customers, did all the department billing,
Pros
Work flexible
Cons
Too mush micro-manage
There's no crying in liquid bulk transportation
Manager (Former Employee) –  CBSLFebruary 7, 2017
I worked at CBSL for nearly 6 years and just felt that after reading some of these reviews that I should provide a true reflection of what the company is really like. I was given the opportunity to run things how I felt were appropriate. They never told me I couldn't make a my own decisions. I ran it like it was my own company and put together teams that believed they were part of a family. I never worried about the money or bonuses because if you truly do your job, you will be compensated. It's definitely not an easy place to work at. You are dealing with hazardous chemicals and lots of moving equipment. It's extremely fast paced and there are numerous challenges everyday. I worked some long days, nights and weekends but I did it because I enjoyed the challenge.
Yes, there are some office politics and yes there might not be clear directions but I have worked for numerous companies since and it's like that everywhere.
I can tell you one thing for sure, if you were let go from this company it wasn't because you were doing a good job. Again, it's not an easy job in any role or position you have. It's a smaller company and there is no place to hide. Everyone plays a role in the success and growth. Sorry to be as harsh I sound but there is a lot of people who want to offer up excuses for why they were unsuccessful. If you do your job and work hard and don't cut corners you will be fine. If you want to point fingers and make excuses you will not last and you will draw attention. I was privy to a lot of information and I can honestly say I didn't see a person who was
  more... let go who didn't in some form earn it.
It's not a perfect place to work but I enjoyed my time there. It's not for the the faint of heart. Again it's a tough industry and things are constantly changing but if you truly work hard and do what's right you will have a nice career.
Pros
Benefits / Family atmosphere/
Cons
work life balance
dirty, favoritism and underpaid
welder (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 7, 2016
managers do not respect positions and expect you to work in all positions without any compensations and no bonuses, too much favoritism and really low payment. A really bad company to work for unless you really need a source of income. Coworkers are lazy and expect for new employees to do most of the work and the leadman always take advantage of new employees. No positive things in this company.
Pros
Cons
everything, bad pay, favoritsm.
Busy, non stop day
LOAD PLANNER / DISPATCHER (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 9, 2015
Daily routine is non stop. Review update domestic trailers for several customers, make sure they are clean, ready for next assignment. Assign drivers on dedicated runs. Work closely with other members of Team.

Started with company as CSR with little transportation experience and learned about domestic trailers at this position.

In constant communication with drivers, customers and co-workers.
fun family culture
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2015
scheduling operations for drivers coordinating loads and tank wash facility working with fleet maintenance scheduling repairs owner operator and company vehicles.
Pros
accountability
worst job I've ever had
supervisor (Former Employee) –  reserve,laJanuary 11, 2015
Management talks change for the better with no results. Won't give raises, second rate equipment.
Pros
long hours, a lot of overtime
Cons
low pay, bad equipment, incredibly long hours
Leaders have no direction who talk change but don't deliver
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2014
The people who work for CBSL are great, however, the owners are fickle with ever changing plans for change; they say they want change but do not take any tangible actions or advice towards making it a reality. Ownership provides LATE and unrealistic budgets coupled with poorly developed and executed action plans to improve profitability through new sales, customer retention, and Owner Operator recruitment.

CBSL's accounting practices are extremely outdated and stray far from the norm causing delayed payments to vendors, and no trustworthy financial data or reports that can be used to manage P&L effectively. This company is bleeding money from even their most profitable facility and fail to take aggressive corrective action, and worse yet, the ownership fails to act on the concerns made by the very managers they hired to identify problems and bring "change."

CBSL has an employee turnover rate north of 50% with managers and supervisors rarely making it more than 12 months. They have gone through approximately 12 Operations Managers in the last 10yrs, countless supervisors, and even more hourly. The Corporate HR Manager is an outstanding person and one of the best HR professionals I've ever worked with, and yet her sound advice is constantly reduced to jokes between the ownership and Directors.

All roads lead to an eventual sale of the business once the primary owner passes away... no other logical conclusion can be made when factoring all of the poor decisions made by this company in the last 13 months.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Ownership
pay was horriable
Mechanic, Operator (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LAMay 5, 2014
pay was horriable, but had great people and was always trying to improve
Poor Upper Management Support
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LAMarch 19, 2014
Vague in explanation of job duties and no support from upper management for operations. Proprietary systems with no training to assist with learning the operations of these systems. When asked how to access the system and how to navigate it, I found that my manager did not have access to the system and was told to go ask someone else. There is no team work or support and an overall lack of work ethic.
Pros
Good benefits and pay is pretty good
Cons
Lack of support and training and systems are not fully accessable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CBSL Transportation Services, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

CBSL Transportation Services, Inc Reviews by Location