Cedar Rapids Community School District Employee Reviews

Advancement Is About Who You Know
6th grade Math Teacher & 7th Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 30, 2019
There is little opportunity to advance in this district without having a good relationship with the Directors in the district office. People are promoted based on who they know instead of what they know. The health insurance prices are also outrageous. Third, they cut team collaboration time to alter schedules that created mass chaos in middle school. The administrator I had before I left the district didn't have children and was very unprofessional or effective in his handling of our middle school clientele. He also had poor rapport with the teaching staff. Unfortunately, the administrator who he replaced had a very similar "middle school like" attitude & rapport with staff.
However, the children are amazing! Most administrators are not micromanagers so there are plenty of opportunities for you to implement & create things that promote student knowledge & self worth. The district is also innovative with technology & research based teaching strategies. For example, they launched an equity committee made up of local businesses, community resource advocates, educators, and parents who were essential in creating district equity plans with guidelines, rubrics, and accountability criteria. For such a large district, they do a good job trying to make sure all stake holders are asked to be there before implementing drastic changes in the school district.
Pros
The students, innovative technology, & research based teaching strategies
Cons
To advance it is who you know and not what you know
Productive hard work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 19, 2018
Well my especially at school was feeding 900 to 1000 kids a date preparing the food was dishes clean the area and leave everything how we found just like everyday.
Pros
Yes free lunch
Cons
No brake
Review
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 26, 2018
Very busy. In my department you must be firm, but friendly. the day maybe planned one way, but you need to be able to roll with unexpected changes.It is a great place to work.
Pros
on kids schedule, friendly atmosphere
Cons
some positions do not get paid in the summer and this can be difficult for some
Cedar Rapids Community School District is typical of large city community schools
SUBTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 24, 2018
This is a large school district and it has some great teachers and some horrible teachers. it is typical of large school districts in the central part of America.

Schools are more indicative of their principals than they are the school district. The school district is the shell company that sets the rules and policies for the school district while the principals sets the rules for that particular school. The culture of each school varies widely depending on their principals.

Unfortunately, the school district sets the wage scales and other things yet they have no idea how good or bad a teacher is. But the pros of a large distract are that their wages are very competitive and the benefits great.
Pros
Good wages, benefits, and stability.
Cons
Large district so good teachers are not recognized well for their outstanding jobs, ciriculum is not as flexible as I would have liked, the teacher had to use the textbooks picked out by the district, new textbooks were not ordered often so books were used for many years
Cedar Rapids schools transportation (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 2, 2018
I learned about different medical needs of the students there behaviors. How to handle emergency situations..What the needs are of students I developed a bond with the students.
Pros
The bonds that were developed
Cons
N/a
Fun workplace, wonderful coworkers/management
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 27, 2018
I greatly enjoyed my time working as a para. I loved the workplace, coworkers and working with students was awesome! I worked with different students in different settings over the years and always enjoyed going to work each day.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 5, 2018
Cedar Rapids was a good place to work. I worked there for 6 years and it was one of the top school districts in the state and very competitive in all areas.
It's a challenging job but a rewarding job as well.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 27, 2018
I have a background in education so this was a natural type of job for me to do. As stated above the work can be challenging as students aren't always cooperative. However, be able to help a student accomplish getting their work done and achieving their goals can be a very rewarding experience. I have found the staff to be willing to help and are very pleasant to work with.
Pros
Paid time off, flexible schedule, health care
Cons
Not being paid throughout the summer.
I love the school I work at, but pay does not match my performance
Paraprofessional/ K-5 Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 23, 2018
I bring the balance for any school, police and community district. I believe in ALL children regardless. I have a repore with most ALL parents that walk through the doors. I have been able to build the bridge between the school and the parents in the community. I have seen success in those I have implemented new plans with.
I have the ability to put on the professional hat when needed and have been known to put on a more personal hat for our students of color to both the students and the parents to help with understanding without anyone feeling less than of a person.
Pros
free lunch and teachers willing to learn more about the culture they are working with
Cons
not enough diversity
I enjoyed working there
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 9, 2018
I enjoyed the People, the children on my routes the school system and the update school bus, and how the made Pretriping the bus so easy with the zonar system
Fun and fast paced friendly environment
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 25, 2018
The pay is equal to the amount of work asked of me. The overall number of hours that we work is not enough income by itself. The summer months are without pay so a second job is needed to make ends meet. While working, I have found it to be a fun fast paced environment. The teamwork is profound within the kitchen staff and the kids we serve meals are awesome.
Pros
summer months off
Cons
summer months off
A professional working environment
Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 17, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with. They are easy-going and
all ways willing lend a help hand and give helpful advise. I had certain staff members I considered family and I could come to for professional and person advise.
Pros
Safe working environment
Cons
Benefits could better for employees
This is a job with substance.
Paraprofessional/Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 1, 2017
Two days are never the same, but it doesn't matter when you enjoy what you do. I learned to meet people where they are and to never give up on any student no matter what. The management was great, and the workplace culture as well. Everything about my job was enjoyable because I love what I do.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 14, 2017
Substitute teaching is a difficult job at times, but rewarding. I enjoyed the flexibility and diversity. I would recommend the Cedar Rapids school district to anyone.
Great place to work.
Student Support Liaison (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 9, 2017
The Cedar Rapids Community School District is a wonderful organization to work for. I enjoy the community and student focused approach to learning that the district strives to provide.
Must enjoy working with children
Media Secretary/Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 14, 2017
Fast paced environment. Enjoy working with children and challenging behaviors. A school is a place of work but also a "home away from home" for the staff who work there.
Fun workplace
Babysitter (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, NEJuly 26, 2017
I would watch people's children while they went out with friends or family or they were at work. I enjoyed making things for the children to do. The hardest thing about this job is that Cedar Rapids is a very small town with limited amount of children.
Pros
friendly families
Cons
Not many kids
Great resaponsibility. Poor recognition.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 27, 2017
Children are not cargo, they are flesh and blood. There"s much more to this job than taking and bringing home those LITTLE RASCALS!! Management was poor at understanding that. When problems did arise, management did not follow up quickly with authority and settle the issue. In short management could not be relied upon to do what they promise therefore creating a culture of not being trustworthy.
Pros
Love the kids
Cons
Management not trustworthy.
It was a fast paced jod working with children and families. We worked on behavior, attendance and provided counseling directly or through referral.
Student Support Liaison (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 26, 2016
It was a joy to help youth and families work through crises. I especially enjoyed meetin with families and helping them with skills and services they needed to be effective when working with their parents.
Pros
working with families
Cons
breaks were not scheduled
A great place to work if you have kids
Food & Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 25, 2016
A typical day for me would be to prep the food for the day and sometimes the week, serving meals to students for breakfast and lunch. Then it's time for dishes and clean up. I also go in for my manager when she is off and do the cooking and cashiering.

I have learned a lot about food handling and that it's a great job if you have kids at home, but not ideal for people who have a good deal of bills to pay.

Management is awesome, and with so many schools in the district they really do a great job.

In the school I worked at there was only 2 of us so we really didn't have anything bad about the experience.

Hardest part of my job has been coming to the realization that I just can't make ends meet and I really need to move on to pay off everything I have too. I love what I do and where I am, but financially I just can't do it anymore.
Pros
off early, summers & breaks off, no working on snow days
Cons
healthcare (I work part time, so I would be paying alot for healthcare), living pay check to pay check, can't make it financially.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cedar Rapids Community School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Cedar Rapids Community School District Reviews by Location