Celadon Trucking Employee Reviews

Horrific Experience
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 16, 2019
I wasn’t hired due to bad attitude. Your employees think to highly of themselves. I thank God I’m not a “yEssa master”’, type of person! They had to audacity to inform me that they where not going to pay for my trip home via plane( as I arrived)! I was sent back by bus. Horrible bus stop in DT Indiana. I wasn’t hired due to asking to many questions and informing them that recruiting told me a whole different story. Liars! Accomadations are terrible form rooms that are more like a jail cell. Don’t recommend this company at all!
Very good company
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXJanuary 15, 2019
They stand by there employees and they truly do work with everyone they hire. Great company to work for. The management is very easy to get along with.
Low Pay
LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 14, 2019
This isn't a bad place to work just on avg the pay is low and the hours are long. So it doesn't equal out also there isn't much diversity. So if your're looking for that this isn't the place for you
Drove lot hours also sit more hours than drove
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 12, 2019
Poor management dm lies no communication wit driver was not paid what was promised gave junky truck to drive spent all my time sitting in truck stop parking lot for days wit no loads dispatch on weekend a joke
Pros
Exspensive
Cons
Lied bout everything
Hauling tobacco and Lowes Hardware stores
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCDecember 28, 2018
Dropping loads of tobacco was enjoyable helped me to adjust to the weather. I enjoyed working with management, however, the promise of the amount wasn't always given as told.
Sold a bill of goods straight lie
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 10, 2018
First night after riding bus two days no motel. Had to sleep in break room. Went thru class ,at end no new truck as promised. Trips were hurry up and get there. No loads had to wait up to two days for paper mill loads. Told when hired with loo ease truck I would be southern region that was a lie. They kept me north as much as possible. Less than dollar a mile to truck really sure get rich on that bull . Truck breaks down their excuses oh that is on you .They will tell you that most is drop and how olk,another lie. 95% of all my loads were wait.They don't care about drivers all they want is warm body holding a steering wheel. Their company drivers get preference. I live in Pueblo Co near a target distribution center. Stop in and ask different companies drivers of different hauling folks ,watch how long thy hey wait. It's the same with Swift no different. I wouldn't work for Celedon if it were the last company on earth. Oh and they are in bed with like 10 other companies. BEWARE WORK AT WAL MART YOU WILL HAVE MORE MONEY AND LESS HEADACHES. I KNOW I HAD ONE OF THERE USED LEASE TRUCK'S
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Review
Shipping and Receiving Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIDecember 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Celadon. It's close to home and I am able to balance my work and home life there. I am not planning on leaving unless a better opportunity is available.
Celadon absolutely sucks
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  OTRNovember 26, 2018
I've worked for quite a few trucking companies in the last 25 years and I'm speaking from experience.
This is one of the most disorganized companies that I've ever worked for,half of their equipment is new and the other half belongs in the junkyard.
The dispatchers shouldn't even be allowed near a computer.
And whoever is planning their loads need to go back to school and learn basic math.
The miles are a joke and the pay is an absolute joke.
If you enjoy seeing your family then do not under any circumstance work for this company because if you do you'll never see your family.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company is a joke
good company to work for
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 17, 2018
Celadon has gone through several changes while I worked there, changing their training programs & emphasizing truck leasing, which seems to have worked well for them
Pros
good benefits
Cons
weekend dispatch
Typical Trucking company
Over the Road Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 14, 2018
We run as a team and are very satisfied with the pay. Decent Miles. Regular Home time.
Team freight is better than solo freight. Great communication with Driver Managers
My Celadon Trucking review & opinion based off my experience & what i see & hear.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 8, 2018
I will say that they do pay decent. I know several drivers who are making over $60k a year & have plenty of home time & not stressed out with the job. Now not saying it is the same for everyone, as it can depend on the type job(OTR, regional, dedicated or team) they are doing, the loads available in the areas & the dispatchers. They can all have an effect on the drivers ability to make money. But even at $50k+ for light work and plenty of home time can suit a driver. It also depends on what the driver looks for in their job.
Orientation days:
They suck, but it is mostly computer related videos & filling out forms. Some people come in and talk during your videos, you can also do some of the work from a mobile device at your hotel after hours, this will save you some time & get you out a little earlier. So have a laptop or smart phone. Based off the drivers i seen at the orientation, i highly recommend you rent a car & get a hotel & not one they offer, better to pay more for a better quality stay for 2 nights, then using their dorms or their roach motels. Also they don't come in & tell you when its lunchtime, so you have to get up and go eat when it near time. They put your name on a chalkboard if your gone when they come.
Equipment:
Expect to have a used truck & possibly abused with damage! Currently due to their financial issues from previous management, they are not updating their fleet or repairing damage that is not a DOT compliant item. I myself was given a truck that had damage. I asked about getting it fixed & they said unless its a DOT item, not happening at this
  more... time. Which kinda sucks when other drivers see you driving it & the damage, they think you are a bad driver, not to mention it makes the company image look bad.
The trucks are under-powered junk! Setup in econo mode & low horsepower of 400hp, it take FOREVER to get up to a safe speed from a stop. Add hills, curves & stoplights, don't expect to get anywhere fast. Be sure to leave lots of time for your ETA & if your over 40k load, i pity you!
Wasted money is still going on! Their tire program is real stupid. If you get a flat drive on the road, you sit & wait for tire guy to show up(not getting paid) & he MIGHT have a retread to put on, but more often it is a brand NEW steer they put on your DRIVE!! That's right a STEER!!! Because their policy is that if the place does not have a "CELADON RETREAD" in stock, they put on a NEW steer tire on. Then your suppose to swing by a terminal when you can to waste more of your time(not paid) to have it swapped with a drive retread. But between that time, the steer is getting ran like a drive-tire & will be scuffed from making turns or tight turns backing into docks. Not to mention if it goes on a rear axle & a front drive kicks up debris and gets into the new steer & damaging it. So now a steer might be so badly scuffed before you get to a terminal, that if used for a steer, it might have a vibration or broken belt. That is a WASTE OF MONEY!
Dash cameras! What?!? They have money issues & yet they don't want to update their fleet or repair trucks, but want to waste money adding cameras to their fleet!!! That is their plan from the testing & what i hear. Hello!!! Stockholders!! Their doing stupid stuff with your money still even now!
But Celadon is in for a rude awaking by not updating their fleet like other trucking companies of their size. Mileage is going up on these trucks & past when they should be sold off while they have value. But they take older high mileage ones & try to pawn them off to in-house leasing to solo's & team's! That ways those drivers get stuck with the major repairs that are coming into range(specially if you don't know how ALL the previous driver drove it). Also why they are trying to get drivers with their own trucks on board, to increase their fleet for more income from freight, without the equipment costs that they can't spare.
But since they are not updating some of their fleet yearly, these trucks are going to get worse & then Celadon needs to replace far too many trucks at once with no money or loans to get them. Stockholders are kinda right when they took the settlement & stated Celadon is near it's breaking point of bankruptcy. They still have to deal with the SEC yet & that with equipment replacement issues coming, they are setting themselves up for a financial hit that could be catastrophic!!
The freight is out there to keep the place going as of now & to slowly make money, but drivers are key, Equipment is key & Celadon is still making bad decisions that will end up coming around to bit them in the butt within 2-3 years time because of it!
So it is still a good place to get experience with & to make money. If they can correct some of their current issues, it could be a long term place, but on the safe side, keep your eye's open.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
equipment
drive truck
Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 26, 2018
my fleet manager was great she was easy to talk to when I had questions. it was a were fast place job. but with all trucking jobs if you are not in the right mind set to drive it is not a good thing to do.
High Stress with a strange set up of flow to departments
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 26, 2018
I would like to say first I don't dislike everything about this place. Coworkers have become family over the years. Celadon offers things like onsite cafeteria, a gym, basketball court, and onsite clinic that functions like a family practice. As an office employee expect that your phone rings non stop. There's a monitoring system in place with your "report card" on display to everyone to publicly shame you into having what is considered acceptable phone time. The rules and goals set by people who have NEVER worked in a roll that is actually signed into the phone to understand what you'll go through. Promotion is not based on your performance. It's based on what group you hang with. Not a polo wearing frat boy? Didn't go to Franklin for college? Seek other job to be promoted. You are not paid based on a fair scale. Expect that in any group of people the salary varies for the same roll in the 12k range. Just depends on who you knew when you started. Drivers can expect to have a DM that is the point if contact. The DM literally is allowed to do nothing. Loads planned by another department. Appts set and freight booked with a different department. Payroll or breakdown literally everything is through another department that the DM must wait to hear back from. Driver however is not allowed to speak to them. They literally took away the entire companies ability to transfer a call. Maybe the driver is lucky and goes to a dedicated account. Here one person is the DM the planner and CSR. That's great. Drawback, those departments normally have one person to take of 50 or more drivers.  more... In some cases more than 100. This leads to frustrated drivers that yell then admin employees under so much stress. We hear the blame pushed to oh well the planner let's me sit they don't care about how I like to run. In truth the planner has no idea who you are. You are a truck available in an area and need a load. They put you on the first one that they can. The blame is shifted to the CSR bc the appointment would not work based on your hours of service. The CSR doesn't know who you are. The accept loads build them and put them in the system. They then reschedule them as the appts are missed over and over bc the freight is not tailored for the truck. The over nights and weekends are blamed however there are in most cases 1 DM 1 planner and 1 CSR handling the entire fleet. The issue here is too many hands in the pot. We need a restructuring. Smaller fleets with 1 person that takes cares of the driver, gets loads for the driver from the customer that works and assigns it. We need managers that have sat in our desks and understand what we go through. Managers that when they see you drowning jump in too instead of walking out that door at directly 8 hrs on the dot. I've reached my limit and will begin my hunt for a new gig. I hate to leave these amazing people that are in the trenches with me and some of the BEST drivers in the industry. Trucking is high stress but this format makes it way harder than needed. It's also time to stop making excuses for bum employees and burning down your good ones. There are some smart talented people at Celadon. Bright minds with good ideas. In the end they are made the work horses and just have everything piled on them until they break. We lose the good ones and keep the awful ones bc someone likes the jokes they tell or bc their kids play ball together. If you are a driver reading this I hope it sheds some light on what we go through. Most of us do care. We do appreciate you. If you want the best chance ask about dedicated accounts. If none avl TRY Temp Control. Lower number of trucks in the boards so they have more time to spend per driver right now.  less
Pros
Lots of amenities on site, indepenant working, good technology, variety of shifts to chose from, welcoming coworkers
Cons
Stress level, insurance rates, poor organizational set up
Dont recommend lease
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  IndyOctober 25, 2018
Lease purchase is full if pitfalls. It sounds easy but I have owned many trucks in the past with no problems keeping them profitable. Found this to be near impossible here not because of dispatch but because of the policies regarding maintenance and lack of outs in the event of unforeseen downtime.
Pros
Good pay and loads
Cons
Lease purchase sounds good but bad deal
large company, no miles
CDL Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 24, 2018
nice equipment but no miles,very large company.low miles some delivery schedules were impossible to meet due to driving hours of service.lot,s of sitting and waiting for dispatched loads
Pros
great equipment
Cons
low miles
Fun loving and see a different city every other day
Trucking (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 24, 2018
If u like to travel and see a different city this is the job for you it's fun and enjoyable long hours and long drives great dispatches of load and they keep u rolling
Fast Paced and Long Periods away from Home
Driver 18 Wheeler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 18, 2018
I felt like I spent more time in Canada than I did in the United States. You are given an ultimatum to be fired or go to Canada. Before I had began working for Celadon, they had great incentives and benefits (which is what drew me toward them). Within less than two weeks of reaching the goal to receive a bonus, the company cancelled all bonuses (except for their executives). Bonuses never resumed while I was employed here.
Pros
Travel. Milage
Cons
Bonuses, Management, non-caring of driver home time.
excellent company
OTR Driver/Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2018
had fun there too. the company was very professional and taught me how to be a man on the road and drive safely. I recommend this company to all drivers
Like family
Driver clsssroom instructor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2018
Loved working with the drivers great hours and good pay like most trucking companies very fast paced and must be able to multi task. I loved the challenge every day
Pros
Good pay and vacation
Cons
Stress
sucks
Driver (Current Employee) –  otr team driverOctober 13, 2018
t ive been more in the shop than actually working and they dont want to change truck becaise they already put to much into this one and they wont pay for our breakdown

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Celadon Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight