Cengage Employee Reviews

It's not bad
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYNovember 13, 2018
Some of the people there really love it, and a lot of people have worked there for years and years. It's not exactly thrilling for me, but it pays the bills. For the most part customers are very friendly, but sometimes there are people that are justifiably angry. My wish is that we would have training in more areas, as I spent a lot of time transferring people to different departments.
Great Company
Digital Success Specialist (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYNovember 4, 2018
Love the Culture. Fast paced, but very rewarding. Management is top-tier. I would recommend this position to anyone. Really have enjoyed my time with the company.
Overall experience was great
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2018
Overall experience was great. They provide everything that is needed for productive work. There are bunch of awesome benefits, specially for shopping and traveling
Love working for this company
Content Manager (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYOctober 17, 2018
I was just hired as a temp, but I am really hoping to be hired as a regular employee. I really love working with the team and love that my manager trusts me with that day-to-day, yet still provides great support. I also love the benefits with the company (even as a temp) and am amazed with how much this company has accomplished. I was worried about accepting the job because of the past feedback from former employees...but I am very happy with my decision with choosing Cengage.
Pros
Able to work remotely when needed
Cons
The amount of meetings
Customer Support
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYOctober 10, 2018
By far the best place I have worked. They really take care of their employees. We are very very spoiled and everyone is friendly. I do not mind coming to work at all.
Amazing team full of potential!
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 8, 2018
My responsibilities included work with Texas Tech University to help students and faculty understand the educational programs offered by Cengage Learning. I also had the opportunity to travel across the nation to mentor and guide students and faculty. Finally, I was the host of “The Student Pulse” podcast, the first ever podcast sponsored by Cengage Learning and I also helped the media reach of Cengage by writing blogs that were submitted to help and entertain students.
Great experience
PRODUCT INTERN (TRADES) (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYOctober 4, 2018
I am very glad that I took this internship. I learned a lot about the industry and met amazing people. Everyone was welcoming and I was able to learn a lot about the company and its inner workings.
Packer and Shipper (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYSeptember 16, 2018
The job is a very laid back fast pace going work place you are not controlled by other worker but simply working on your own time to get your amount of work done for the day
Sales
Sales Support Partner (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYSeptember 11, 2018
The position is responsible for helping to drive sales by providing prospecting and lead management, customer database maintenance, sampling services, product information, and administrative support to members of the sales force. The sales support partner assists in processing inbound telephone calls from internal and external customers according to the customer support standards, and partners with sales representatives to provide customers with a company representative who is readily accessible to them.
Too lean on discipline
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Independence, KY 41051August 22, 2018
We’ve had plenty of violent employees that are favorites of the manager and they’re never properly addressed. You'd only be dealt with if caught on camera, they take too long to train you on everything, and don’t enforce training a certain safety guidelines.
not bad place to work
Student Customer Support (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYAugust 16, 2018
not bad place to work but can be better. Very stressful and systems are down a lot which make it hard to do your job. Not a lot of chances for career growth.
Pros
good schedule
Cons
no career growth
Decent Pay just not as much advancement
Picker (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYAugust 15, 2018
Unfortunately I have known people not to get hired on for 8-12 months of being a temp there receiving no benefits. Management is okay but sometimes it seems to be a chaotic atmosphere
Retains that 70 year old publishing company mentality
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 4, 2018
Management has their heads in the clouds - not their technology. At the end of the day management still acts like a publishing company; nearly everyone in management has spent their entire careers working for the same 3 or 4 publishing companies. You can change your name or your product all you want, but if you can't change the mindset of the people running the company then it's all for not.
The product has potential, but I also see the surge in public universities offering online learning a major risk to Cengage future. Ultimately I think online degrees will kill Cengage.
Pros
Decent benefits, reasonable work-live balance, some really great people
Cons
Poor management, salary not competitive in the tech market
Good company to work for
Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2018
Cengage is changing higher education with Cengage Unlimited. Exciting time to be part of a momentous change. Little chance for merit increases, revenue stream shows declines which are concerns. Job is challenging every day, in a good way.
Great place for benefits but low pay and annual bonus - not transparent
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYJuly 27, 2018
This was a great place to work for benefits and schedule flexibility. On site benefits such as mobile screenings, gym membership reimbursements, and fundraisers for colleagues in severe need due to a personal catastrophe. However, the extremely low pay and annual bonus was hard financially. As well, the bonus structure is not transparent, and most years you don't find out your annual goal until about 2 or 3 months before the sales period ends, and when you ask, you're supposed to just accept that. Also, frequent added bonuses, which are marketed to us as "without stipulation", ends up having a stipulation, which gets changed without employee knowledge. Also, there's no way to track the sales that are reported to the company's system. You're supposed to trust that your managers are looking out for your best interest. And when you have an apathetic manger, as I did, that loses credibility and makes it stressful financially.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, progressive benefits and healthcare benefits
Cons
Financial stress due to low pay and questionable sales reports and bonus structures
cengage
Online customer care (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYJuly 23, 2018
Cengage is a really good place to work the bosses really care about what you and they put the effort and time in to work with you they are very nice the work area is clean and the people are nice and help eachother out.
Sales Culture is not a good one
Sales (Former Employee) –  WestJuly 21, 2018
The typical day should be on campus from 8:30am-5pm Monday-Thursday. This does not include travel so, expect to be in your car by 5-6am each morning. Management does not wish to hear opinions about any part of organization that is negative. Middle management also has little experience and choose to justify their existence by assigning busy work. I believe that the product side may have a different atmosphere. The roles in sales are also not fully fleshed out and with the recent shrinking of the company there are many roles that have overlapping supervisors- this creates confusion and lack of direction.
Good Company That Cares for its employees
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYJuly 16, 2018
I was provided the skills to do my job with excellent feed back. The environment was friendly and calm. Cengage provides multiple means of advancement and genuinely cares for its employees.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Busy
Decent
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  KYJuly 13, 2018
It is a decent company. I do not understand why they do not pay for experience and dedication and take into account the soaring cost of living. The entry level and experienced employee both deserve much better pay.
Gale is an awesome place to work
Executive Director-Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJuly 11, 2018
Lot's of autonomy. Great senior leadership team. Willingness to take chances on new initiatives. Culture places a high regard on people and teamwork.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cengage. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cengage.

Powered by Comparably