Cengage Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYJanuary 8, 2019
Cengage is a wonderful company to work for. We focus on employee engagement and really have a great workplace culture. Cengage cares about its employees and their well being, as well as their family members. The benefit package not only includes affordable medical, vision, dental and life insurance but so many others. The vacation accrual is more than generous and we also offer several paid holidays off per year including Presidents Day and Martin Luther Kind Day. The management team is top notch and career advancement is really encouraged.
Too little pay for too much work
Learning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYDecember 23, 2018
The workload for Learning Consultants just keeps growing and yet the pay doesn’t match. It doesn’t matter how hard you work, it all is on NUMBERS they create and its never in the benefit of their employees. The “C” in Cengage stands for CHANGE, every year I was there something changed including the bonus structure. The only people who know what is going on would be the TOP officials....the directors and middle management have no clue. The can’t expect to hold on to good employees if they don’t expect to compensate them.
You knew nothing about bonuses or incentives until the week of, no real way to track your numbers just supposed to trust whatever they come to you with the week or day of payouts.
It's okay
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYJanuary 2, 2019
It's a stressful job without proper compensation or bonuses. The CSAs get a lot of extra work pushed on from the outside sales reps. Plus, we're expected to work complicated returns in between phone calls, but phones calls come in about every 10 to 15 minutes. It's very stressful and the compensations isn't commensurate with the level of stress.
Pros
Co workers are fantastic
Cons
Stress
Love working for this company
Content Manager (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYOctober 17, 2018
I was just hired as a temp, but I am really hoping to be hired as a regular employee. I really love working with the team and love that my manager trusts me with that day-to-day, yet still provides great support. I also love the benefits with the company (even as a temp) and am amazed with how much this company has accomplished. I was worried about accepting the job because of the past feedback from former employees...but I am very happy with my decision with choosing Cengage.
Pros
Able to work remotely when needed
Cons
The amount of meetings
It's not bad
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYNovember 13, 2018
Some of the people there really love it, and a lot of people have worked there for years and years. It's not exactly thrilling for me, but it pays the bills. For the most part customers are very friendly, but sometimes there are people that are justifiably angry. My wish is that we would have training in more areas, as I spent a lot of time transferring people to different departments.
Amazing team full of potential!
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 8, 2018
My responsibilities included work with Texas Tech University to help students and faculty understand the educational programs offered by Cengage Learning. I also had the opportunity to travel across the nation to mentor and guide students and faculty. Finally, I was the host of “The Student Pulse” podcast, the first ever podcast sponsored by Cengage Learning and I also helped the media reach of Cengage by writing blogs that were submitted to help and entertain students.
Sales
Sales Support Partner (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYSeptember 11, 2018
The position is responsible for helping to drive sales by providing prospecting and lead management, customer database maintenance, sampling services, product information, and administrative support to members of the sales force. The sales support partner assists in processing inbound telephone calls from internal and external customers according to the customer support standards, and partners with sales representatives to provide customers with a company representative who is readily accessible to them.
Cengage Experience
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 11, 2019
At first, I had a good experince with cengage. Then there were some payment issed that arose duing my time with them. There explanation of the issue was unclear and it was a long time before I was paid for my completed work.
Pros
new experience
Cons
poor support of technical writers
Retains that 70 year old publishing company mentality
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 4, 2018
Management has their heads in the clouds - not their technology. At the end of the day management still acts like a publishing company; nearly everyone in management has spent their entire careers working for the same 3 or 4 publishing companies. You can change your name or your product all you want, but if you can't change the mindset of the people running the company then it's all for not.
The product has potential, but I also see the surge in public universities offering online learning a major risk to Cengage future. Ultimately I think online degrees will kill Cengage.
Pros
Decent benefits, reasonable work-live balance, some really great people
Cons
Poor management, salary not competitive in the tech market
Sales Culture is not a good one
Sales (Former Employee) –  WestJuly 21, 2018
The typical day should be on campus from 8:30am-5pm Monday-Thursday. This does not include travel so, expect to be in your car by 5-6am each morning. Management does not wish to hear opinions about any part of organization that is negative. Middle management also has little experience and choose to justify their existence by assigning busy work. I believe that the product side may have a different atmosphere. The roles in sales are also not fully fleshed out and with the recent shrinking of the company there are many roles that have overlapping supervisors- this creates confusion and lack of direction.
This company employs the best people!
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CADecember 17, 2018
The culture at Cengage promotes a professionalism and character in all of those employed there that would be hard to beat. The sales support staff is unsurpassed and the entire team puts the end user first.
Some departments are okay, some are horrible
Content Developer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJune 25, 2018
Some departments have perks, such as Ping Pong tables and gaming areas, but others are miserable places to work. Those departments offer no opportunities for advancement, unless you know the right person, and almost no salary increase. Hours are long and little oversight on management. The stress levels can be overwhelming and there is a constant threat of layoffs.
Pros
limited work at home
Cons
No advancement opportunies, erratic perks
Excellent company to work
Sr. Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MINovember 15, 2018
An excellent place to work. Great advancement. Great place to start out. Excellent benefits.Too bad my position was eliminated. Great memories. I am looking forward to the next challenge.
productive fast paced
picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYJune 16, 2018
Had to pick/pack orders effeciently.Picked orders from a bin.Put on a assembly line.You were sent to other depts. when needed on machines Had to shrink wrap orders on machines pack in boxes put on assembly line.In returns dept. you got material sent back you processed on the computer then put items in a tote to be replaced bAck on shelfves.
Pros
cwelebrated xmas/frree dinners
Cons
bad atmosphere condtions
Too lean on discipline
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Independence, KY 41051August 22, 2018
We’ve had plenty of violent employees that are favorites of the manager and they’re never properly addressed. You'd only be dealt with if caught on camera, they take too long to train you on everything, and don’t enforce training a certain safety guidelines.
Overall experience was great
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2018
Overall experience was great. They provide everything that is needed for productive work. There are bunch of awesome benefits, specially for shopping and traveling
Great experience
PRODUCT INTERN (TRADES) (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYOctober 4, 2018
I am very glad that I took this internship. I learned a lot about the industry and met amazing people. Everyone was welcoming and I was able to learn a lot about the company and its inner workings.
Good company to work for
Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2018
Cengage is changing higher education with Cengage Unlimited. Exciting time to be part of a momentous change. Little chance for merit increases, revenue stream shows declines which are concerns. Job is challenging every day, in a good way.
Great Company
Digital Success Specialist (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYNovember 4, 2018
Love the Culture. Fast paced, but very rewarding. Management is top-tier. I would recommend this position to anyone. Really have enjoyed my time with the company.
Customer Support
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYOctober 10, 2018
By far the best place I have worked. They really take care of their employees. We are very very spoiled and everyone is friendly. I do not mind coming to work at all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cengage. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight