Centene Employee Reviews

Pretty good place to work
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 20, 2018
Overall a good company, but career advancement opportunities are limited. If promoted, HR doesn't adequately position salary to the current market rate.
Pros
Good work/life balance, great company-sponsored events
Cons
Little to no advancement, Most managers lack leadership skills
Poor/Micro Management
Provider Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 19, 2018
Even for a call center the environment was horrible. Promotions or lateral moves were based on whether or not your supervisor liked you,not merit or job performance.Morale was low and management did nothing to assist. We were micro managed to the point of harassment and upon promotion,management is not given any sort of training to make them capable of performing correctly in that role.
Speaking from experience.
Operations Department (Non-Specific) (Current Employee) –  Orlando, Florida (Lee vista)September 19, 2018
Honestly, Centene as a company is good, but AcariaHealth as a branch, is horrible. Good health benefits, decant PTO, opportunity to grow (within centene as a whole, not AcariaHealth), and “OK” pay, depending on the branch you work at.

My experience with AcariaHealth started off very well. I honestly thought it was one of the better organizations I have worked at. Very laid back, not very micromanaged by management as long as you did what you were supposed to do, department moral was unexpectedly high, the leadership team cared about the employees, development was the best I had experienced; all-in-all, a great company. Until new management was introduced. That’s where it all went down hill from there.

There were more employees being let go then being hired which meant we were extremely understaffed. Management would find ways around the rules to let employees go and the HR team was so intimidated by management that they looked the other way and allowed it.

Management lead every meeting, changes, conversation, etc. with fear and threats. There were a lot of “cliques” within the leadership team. There were conversations/“gossip” that some leaders would have about employees and how they should find a way to let certain employees go just because they ask to many questions, have an opinion, question a policy change that doesn’t make sense, or just because they plainly don’t like the employee for whatever personal reason. If you weren’t liked by management, you would always be walking in the building on eggshells with a target on your back wondering if today was going
  more... to be the day that they would come up with whatever reason to let you go.

Development/advancement also became very difficult. They only developed/advanced employees that were liked, part of the “clique”, did what they told you to do (even if that meant breaking a policy), or female. You could consistently be the top performer of the department and have a proven track record of your abilities, but if you weren’t liked by management for any reason, asking to be developed or trying to advance was nearly impossible. If you tried to leave the department/branch to go to another department/branch within Centene, management would find a way to stop it from happening and keep you there because they found some sort of pleasure in knowing that you couldn’t go anywhere within the company without them approving it. Therefor, you were stuck there until you either left the company on your own or they found a way to let you go first.

Some leaders would become friendly/“close” with an employee just to find out what their weakness was so it could be used at a later time or to find out personal information to start a conversation/“gossip” with other members of leadership or even other employees; lack of work ethic and plainly disrespectful.

I understand we all need a job and have responsibilities to take care of, that’s why I say, if you are considering working for AcariaHealth, please make sure to stay to yourself, stay under the radar, don’t get to friendly with anyone, and always have a plan “B” under your belt.

All-in-all, great experience that allowed me to learn a lot and toughen my skin, but I would not recommend trying to make a career at AcariaHealth. At least, not in the operations side of it.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Pros
Health Benefits, Pto, Different branches to choose from within Centene.
Cons
Management, Lack of work ethic, Advancement, Development.
good
Prior Authorization Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Great place to work for if your are looking. Great benefits ability to advance within company . Typical work day would include reaching out to providers in regard to services requested.
Could be so much better...
Vertexter (Current Employee) –  Ferguson, MOSeptember 16, 2018
This company is great, good pay, but what you have to go through to get your pay is awful! Forced slavery, overtime is ridiculous and management doesn't care if you have a life and kids to go home or not! Lack of communication, nepotism, and unfair hiring practices are at play here. Never a thank you, or any praise or appreciation given for the team that works most holidays. The only good thing is pay and benefits. They also need to give more sick days, they are pitiful giving 4 days a year!
Pros
Pay, benfits
Cons
Too much overtime; unstable hours or schedules; lack of communication; nepotism
Baton Rouge review
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 14, 2018
Three words -don’t do it.
Supervisors are unethical and have abusive tendencies if they don’t like you. high turnover rates on most teams. We thought many of the supervisors were drinking the same Kool Aid - their speech is scripted and they have no back bone. And they idolize their main supervisor and submit to this woman as if she is all knowing.
And beware, they will say believable lies straight to your face. Good luck if you are not on their good employee list - they’ll find a way to push you out.
So if you work there, document all interactions, stay on guard and don’t get sucked into their stress vortex. And try not to let their issues affect you. Most of my former coworkers were planning their exit.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Had a passive aggressive boss
The grass isn't always greener...
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 14, 2018
I applied for different positions at Centene over 8 times before I was interviewed.

Let me just say that from the outside Centene looks like a great place to work and it is however as with all things there is room for improvement.

When you are told that in this company "you can do 96% of your job great but it's that 4% that everyone will focus on", it's very discouraging. This statement not only scared me, it showed me more about who my bosses are and what their expectations were of me (Note: If you're an Admin they expect perfection and for you to read minds) & I haven't been here a year yet. Poor email etiquette seems to be the norm with people being very rude by email because they're in a supervisory position.

I've been in the Admin arena for years and I've never had horrible management till I got to Centene. I am also not used to bosses being so emotional/stressed and taking that out on their staff. If I don't have the luxury of bringing my life/job stress to work, management shouldn't either. I've been here 7 months and I'm already looking for a new position in the company as I don't feel I'm a good fit for the team I'm currently working with.

The company us constantly growing which is great. Diversity is alive and well here which is also great. I believe in the good they are doing at Centene but bad management kind of overshadows that.
Pros
Great benefits, free parking, company events, community engagement
Cons
Micromanaging bosses, lack or morale, favoritism, expect perfection
When you are not liked, you will be out
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  UnknownSeptember 14, 2018
Managers there....toxic people. When you are not a favorite....or you stand up to them...you will slowly be pushed out. I saw coworkers be intensely micromanaged and written up for things other people weren’t written up for. Very strange and controlling place to work. Extreme lack of transparency which increases work place anxiety and instability. I would suggest finding another job.
Pros
Getting out of that h*ll hole
Cons
Hard work driven claim production company.
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXSeptember 14, 2018
A typical day at work consists of processing member's claims in Medicaid for the State of Texas. I have learned to be an advanced analyst with highlights in Coordinating Benefits from multiple insurance companies. Management of claims operations has what appears to be a high turnover rate, as new leaders are promoted or retired. The company is constantly behind and cannot catch up the workload with the given employee amount. Work has increased significantly and analysts are driven to complete as much as possible. Our work is monitored and kept track of complete claims in a given day. The hardest part of the job is to continue to meet deadlines and claims per hour with a constant increasing goal. The most enjoyable part of the job is the employees that have positive and optimistic outlooks on life.
Stressful
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 14, 2018
Busy environment, very loud, hard to concentrate on your task due to the busy activity around you. Not a lot of training more of assumption & not very friendly.

Want to know more about Centene?

Ask a question
Former employee, thankfully
Behavioral Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 14, 2018
During your first week of training you’ll hear company values like “centene takes care of the community one person at a time”. Then as you progress in your job, you will slowly begin to realize that this company is a joke. Maybe they are taking care of their customers one person at a time .....but what about their employees ?? They are treated like cogs on a wheel or better yet,robots. Morale sucks and the leadership teams are in denial or just don’t care enough to initiate major changes in the work culture. Managers are not genuine leaders and do not bring out the best in their employees....instead they control, criticize, threaten to terminate their employees, and are just nasty human beings. This happens company wide, no joke. Hopefully things will change. I should have left there sooner.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Read my review
You don't want to work for this company trust me
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lakeland FLSeptember 13, 2018
Very stressful! Being demoralized regularly.by management The company doesn't care about their employees or the members just the money. They want average time for each call to be no more than 8 min. Very unethical and corrupt company run by evil people.
Pros
Cons
Stressful and lousy pay for what they put you through
Managers lead with fear and shame
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  UnknownSeptember 13, 2018
A huge overhaul needs to happen in this Corporation. Managers are incompetent, out for themselves only, and poor leaders. They are not looking out for their employees, only concerned with meeting quotas. High turnover rates are related to this unhealthy work environment. I think this will all ‘come out in the wash’ eventually . In the meantime, don’t apply for work here here.
Pros
Cons
Managers are not being held accountable
A decent place to work
Medical Claim Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 10, 2018
You start processing claims at the start of your shift (of course)
Breaks/lunch are somewhat flexible
Management was good
People were good
I didn't get any feedback on my work though (good or bad) which was annoying
I was able to listen to music all fay and focus on work
I choose not to answer
Care Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 8, 2018
I choose not to answer this question regarding my last employer and I do not see why I have answer this question. It is not important at this point and time.
Not a good place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 7, 2018
Poor management and very ghetto place to work. Not a fair place to work. Pay not enough. They talk a lot but don't follow through very unprofessional place
Helping by taking one phone call at a time.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Getting a call from a member needing to have her child's Medicaid ID card mailed and given to her as member was at the pharmacy. Ive learned to empathy in the work place as member's often were upset and not knowing that the help was there for them all along.

Hardest part of my job not being able to assist a member if they have moved out of the area due to severe illness which took them to a location where the current help that member received was not offered.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to make a difference in any member that needed the help at the present time of need.
Pros
participating in events
Cons
not having 1 hour lunch...
Fun environment with great co workers. Management could be better.
BILLING OPERATION SPECIALIST/ MARKETING (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 5, 2018
Fun environment with great co workers. Management could be better.
I enjoy the people I work with but there is a lot of people in management that in my opinion, should not be.
great place to work
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 5, 2018
They are very forgiving. Wish we could wear jeans and tennis shoes everyday. Provide more schedules changes. .They need to provide more fun days.Please provide a gym in the new building.
Pros
fun
Cons
short breaks
Decent Job but I was Bored
Behavioral Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton RougeSeptember 4, 2018
It was a good job with great benefits but I grew bored. I needed more challenge in my life and did not enjoy working solely over the phone. Otherwise it was a good place.
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
Boredom

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centene. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight