Centene Employee Reviews

I loved working for Centene
Provider Services (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 16, 2018
This was hands down one of the best careers I ever had! Saddest part of leaving was having to move away! By far the friendliest, most efficient work environment I have ever worked in.
productive and fun place to work
ServiceNow Admin/Developer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Heights, MOJuly 16, 2018
Really helped me to interact with people friendly. And gained knowledge. I completely satisfied with the work environment and enjoyed performing the tasks they assign.
Analyst
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 16, 2018
Centene is a company that offers great benefits, however, the management will work you all type of hours. You will find yourself working even on weekends just to catch up or stay ahead. The management will frown on you working outside of business hours however they will do nothing about balancing the work load they gave to you knowing that you are already overwhelmed.

The Management is often placed into authoritative positions with little to no people skills or training to deal with direct reports, The days are greatly stressful and there almost seems as though if there is no where to turn other than finding another job before you have a breakdown. Management doesn't listen to the people that do all the work, they listen to the supervisors that don't have a clue and only thrust other tasks onto your already worn down shoulders.

If you are looking to work here be prepared to have no life outside of the hustle and bustle of Centene. Run away as fast as you can!
Benefits
Cons
Super stressful days, no work/life balance, Management unskilled for their positions
Very poor training
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 15, 2018
Asked to process claims without proper training. Very little feedback regarding quality of work. Poor oversight, lacking supervision, direction culminating in a stressful, unsettling, work environment.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Poor training
Productive work place
Vertexer (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MOJuly 15, 2018
I thought Cetenne was great place to work at I was comfortable there
the people were all nice and the job wasn't stressful position to me I
was disappointed when the laid us off I was really hoping to get a full
time position there I have worked at my own business for 30 years we sold it now I just want job to work 40 hours a week and stay in the position I don't want to job hop not my thing
Pros
it would be a place to stay benefits an the pay
Cons
they didn't keep me long enough to see how I worked
great place
Long Term Care Coordinator - Sunshine Health Plan (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJuly 14, 2018
Great place to work wonderful staff.
The company cares about it's staff.
Annual raises

There are constant changes with procedures and no clear instructions on when to began using those procedures.
Pros
work from home for some positions
Cons
constant changes and not all management the same page when telling staff
Great boss, great team, great company
Quality Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 13, 2018
QM team is supportive and hard-working, with supervisors that have worked their way up and know what they are doing. Pay and benefits are above average compared to other competitors in this field. Best company I have ever worked for by far. I have 15 years experience in the field, just for reference.
Pros
Teamwork, Pay, Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Recent changes at upper management levels, IT support is lacking in timeliness and efficiency
Stressful
Member Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 12, 2018
Very stressful environment, had to have script down, call time limited, hard to get a lead on the floor, and unorganized. No family oriented as they described.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
30 min lunches, no assistance as far as educating job information
Productive Organization
Patient Management (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 12, 2018
The organization is one of the most honorable companies to work for. The care they have not only for their members but their employees is awesome. They love to educate so they can pursue more opportunity within the company.
Program Coordinator
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2018
Check email
Review Excel Spreadsheet for Authorization
Update information received from management for workload
Diversity
Completeing Authorizations in a timely manner
Office Atomosphere
Pros
Friendly astmosphere
Cons
Somtimes too much childs play
Most Negative experience
Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 12, 2018
Let me start off by saying that this job was offered to me in June 2017 with orig start date of July 5, 2017. The Friday before I was set to begin with Centene, I get a call from the talent specialist telling me that the start date was being pushed back to mid july due to the facility not being ready. I had already given notice to my current employer so I was left in a bind. I still had high hopes based on the offer that I was given salary wise, facility amenities (gym, ergonomic desks, onsite medical, cafeteria and childcare that I don't need, but nice that they had it) well mid july comes and I get an email instead of a call stating that it would now be September. Long storyh short, I was finally given start date in October. The facility that was not actually completed, and still isn't complete, does not have one of the amenities promised. The bonus is a joke, it is not up to 6% of salary and the reason given is that we are a new location in Tucson and the amount of mistakes made and penalties paid is taken out on employees. Also, do not expect management to know ANYTHING about the insurance industry. Half of them are from CS call centers or even a few from the GAP no lie. I would strongly discourage anyone from taking a position with this company.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great work life balance
Quality Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJuly 11, 2018
Centene gives you an amazing opportunity to grow and allows you to still have the home life needed. I have worked other places that do not have that same approach.
Pros
Pay and Benifits
Cons
Lack of communication between leardership and staff.
Career development
Senior Application Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 10, 2018
I had good training and opportunity to work in modern languages and tools. I had a good development experience and encouraged training and development. Sometimes new management and managers and some people who are with Centene with long time seemed to show some negativity towards you and probably they were feeling envious of new hires getting paid same or higher than them.
Pros
Free Tickets to games and shows, parties
Cons
lesser move between teams and promotions
Worst place I’ve ever worked
Quality Improvement (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 9, 2018
Stay away from this company. They over work their employees - expecting you to work through your lunches, no breaks, and staying late every day. No one knows what they’re doing due to the extreme disconnect because of it being such a large corporation. Communication is non existent. I worked there for 5 months and it was the worst 5 months of my life. They don’t care about their employees at all. They only care about profits. They pay well so it’s easy to be pulled in.... but do yourself a favor and stay away from this company.
Pros
There is nothing good about this company
There were some fun days
Finance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 9, 2018
Tenant Appreciation Day
In/Out burger trucks with a live rock band
Ice cream handed out

No corporate phone directory
The acquiring company doesn't really understand the acquired company's market.
Pros
Farmer's Market Tuesdays
Cons
Hard to locate people outside of your department
An exceptional healthcare company taking the industry by storm.
Supervisor, Workforce Planning (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2018
An excellent opportunity to learn the administrative side of the healthcare industry outside of a healthcare facility. The Practitioners are awesome to observe their expertise applied on the administrative side of the industry. Great exposure and an exceptional learning experience in the healthcare arena.
Great career path
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLJuly 7, 2018
Centene is a great corporation to work for. If you are goal oriented , focus on why you’re there and what you want to accomplish in your own career. You will do great. If you have self awareness and understanding of business and corporate America you will survive in the company. I work in case management department it can be stressful at times due to the work load and the constant demand of supervisors. . But overall it’s manageable. The best advice I can give anyone that’s looking to work for Centene is to stay focus on why you come to work and what you want to gain. Be friendly and respectful to everyone you come across. Because you never know who is who. Or who may be in a position to promote you.
Pros
Education reimbursement, great benefits, multicultural environment, a good company that understands emotional intelligence, Decent pay compensation
Cons
Some Supervisors are not supportive of their staff. But you have a A choice to go to Management
Loved it!
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 6, 2018
Worked on contract and loved the place. The team is diverse and supportive. The managers on the project had high expectations but tried to make it fun.
Pros
Environment, Pay, Benefits...
Cons
nothing stands out.
Run, Don’t walk if your applying for UM RS position
Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 5, 2018
The manager has direct favoritism and if you complain management will just state its unseen, even though just about all except the favorites say it. She is rude and speaks down to you and nothing is done. Her favorites get the best raises and promotions . If you try to go into another department, it will not happen. They say they hire from within but you have to have a supportive manager or your screwed for managers stick together regardless of their department. Prior authorization department is a revolving door, so many have just left one day without notice. I’m truly happy I’m finally getting out, I feel delivered. It was such a horrible experience to go to work and be totally drained knowing what was coming. Change is constant but not clearly stated and your held accountable regardless. Be careful coming into this department. They expect you to spend your whole life here trying to get faxes out. They say your a team but management encourages backstabbing and gossip. They talk personally about some employees. I have never seen such high school behavior by grown women. Even supervisor don’t stay.
Pros
Free meals given, gym, raises and bonus
Cons
Poor management, gossip, no promotions, unappreciated
Centene is a good place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 5, 2018
Love the job and the company, but the compensation is not equitable across the company nor does it compare favorably to similar positions iin the market.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centene. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight