Centene

Centene insights

Based on 1,949 survey responses
What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

High ranking - steady job for hard workers that are willing to commit 200%

Typical days include looking at the clock at 3:00 p.m. and realizing you haven't stopped working since you walked in the door. This is an extremely diverse company, but it's clear who is protected and who is not. I have over twenty years experience in expense reporting, but a boss that has never done an expense report in her life. I book travel for multitudes of people, however she is unable to understand how to plan travel properly. My work is used to assist others in being promoted, receiving bonuses, and being recognized. The company offers free educational benefits for your position or one you would like to try, however many supervisors refuse to approve based on losing a staff member to a better position. This company will hire from within, but that sometimes comes based on who you are "closest" with rather than your experience or desire to move ahead. I haven't been an "administrative assistant" since I was very young - it is demeaning to be one at this company. I have actually been told, "remember where you are on the totem pole". After working over twenty years managing different offices, this was my last straw. The company itself is a good company, but the administrative assistant issues are known throughout the company between the admins and there really isn't anything that can be done outside of seeking a new position. You will never get bored as work is being stretched 4-5 jobs to one person. The CEO is amazing, most senior executive are outstanding and some are kind. The company however, cannot relate to folks that are living paycheck to paycheck and it makes -

Pros

Free garage parking

Cons

Listed within the review.

I enjoy my job, great benefits, lots of paid time off.

I love my job, it is fast paced and there is always something mew to learn, which I enjoy. Great pay, great benefits, lots of paid time off. They provide several continuing education courses throughout the year.

Fast paced

The company is extremely fast paced. There is always something to do. The pay could be better for the amount of work you are required to do. Managers can sometimes micromanage.

Pros

Benefits and pto

Cons

Pay is not enough for tasks

Good pay and (depending on who you know) opportunities for advancement. Overall company mission is excellent

Worked on the Behavioral Health UM team remote in San Antonio out of Dallas Texas. Type A folks only desired by directorship December 2021 on this team…and while the culture on this team has improved immensely there remains quite a bit of work to do in the work culture area as of 2021 Overall, great benefits but there are (in my opinion) work culture and team backbiting issues on Dallas BH UM team (not sure about other teams) so new hires beware!

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Negative BH UM Dallas Team work culture. Little opportunities for personal development Favoritism

Work life balance is encouraged. Pay is good and benefits are better than most.

I enjoy working with Centene, I have a flexible schedule and I am able to balance work and home life as needed. The pay is comparable to other organizations and management is phenomenal to work with.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Company is very competitive with good compensation and a full benefits package for employees.

Overall a good Company to work for. Good knowledgeable leadership. One of the big struggles though is always being short on staff due to workforce reductions.

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. Good work/life balance. Very innovative.

Cons

Constant Change, job insecurity

Pay is decent, benefits are really good.

Pretty decent company. Often change, it’s kind of ridiculous. My job functions change weekly. Management changes often. Raises and bonuses aren’t bad. Benefits are really good.

Good company.

Centene is a good company this department was just redundant and boring. They pay pretty well and there are lots of perks. Management is good but sometimes there is favoritism

Great company to work for with several key benefits

Great company to work for. Each department is different , but transitioning to other departments is possible after one year. Compensation is great they pay above the average for any given position.

Pros

Vacation, pay

Cons

None really

Not good

Poor management, poor benefits, highly stressful work environment; forced overtime during to understaffing; abusive clients, non-fulfilling..........

Pros

N/a

Cons

See.above

In-house Formal Training Provided

When you start off as a Basic Claims Analyst, you are trained and pushed to meet and exceed strenuous metrics. Further mandatory training provides you the opportunity to move up to be an Advanced Claims Analyst and then a COB (Coordination of Benifits) Analyst. From there, they continue to squeeze more and more out of you. There's always that elephant in the room reminding you that you are always replaceable no matter how hard you work.

Pros

Overtime and Bonuses

Cons

Short breaks, unrealistic metrics

The benefits are good, pay is comparable

There is little leadership, supervisor seems to be clueless as well as upper management, when it comes to employees on the ground floor. Lots of lip service from supervisor and upper management. We are told we're valued but ignored and brushed off when there is an issue that needs to be addressed. I.T. and H.R. like creating more complicated job apps that are clearly not in line with needs of ground floor employees. If it ain't broke make it worse by complicating matters. Total disconnect between upper management and employees responsible for taking care of members. I would not recommend taking a job with this company.

Pros

Benefits are good

Cons

Left hand doesn't have a clue as to what the right hand is doing.

Not a good place to work

Not a good place to work. They give you minimal training and it’s sink or swim. They expect to pay McDonald’s wages for intensely detailed work. Don’t expect to move up even if your production is over 100 percent with no audits.

Soul crushing grind

Worked at Centene 7 1/2 years and as it’s grown the culture has gotten worse, senior leadership has gotten more deranged and less diverse very boys club mentality. Advancement is rarely based on performance but how well you can play the game with egotistical narcissistic men.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

Toxic environment full of bias, favoritism and misogyny

Claims analyst

Very good company barely new .I work thru a temp agency been a long time . The company is ok don't know to much. Still learning and they were once healthnet.

Ok place

Good place to work. Compensation is fairly well. Constant changes tho and gets stressful. No room for advancement. When you feel caught up there is always something thrown at you.

Loved my team, hated what the company turned into

Low pay, new ownership of company makes it very hard to move up on a low pay grade. Fun people to work with and still love my old team but wasn’t worth it especially having a science degree. A few years back I’d recommend but I would never now

Pros

Fun people

Cons

Low pay, takes at least 3 years to move up or increase salary more than 1%

Very "corporation" driven now

Centene used to be a family oriented organization, over my 13 years there I have watched the family become robotic and are expected to learn on your own. The Subsidiary companies are the worst. Nothing like it used to be... my 13 years meant nothing when they fired me with no severance after a substantial promotion the manager was horrid and backed by their best buddy "director". I made a complaint to HR it went no where, was closed in 30 days and I was fired shortly after that. 13 years of knowledge was all I got as they keep buying companies and expect less people to do more for less. I used to love working for the company, they have gotten a big head and could care less about the employees.

Pros

Benefits are good

Cons

Management and training, hiring process is on average 3 month's

Cost Cutting Making an impact - A negative One

Company has lost a lot of quality people and is looking to cut more expenses and people to offset lower profits from some of their businesses. In my opinion, many of the cuts are short sighted and will come back to haunt them in future. The quality of management has suffered and they have lost other quality non-management staff which has put more stress on those that remain.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

Success inconsistently tied to performance. CYA culture.

Stressful , demanding overall good benefits and time off

Job was demanding and very stressful type of calls. Great time off and amazing benefits , no room for growth , alot of favoritism and did not accomadate against covid vaccine mandates

Great company with amazing benefits

A place to grow and expand in Healthcare. Great experience, work remote with a wonderful team of people. Non traditional work. Travel across the state to meet with providers to ensure better health outcomes.

Benefits

Cons

Some members of leadership are not a good fit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centene. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Centene.
Powered byComparably