Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.

Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc. Employee Reviews

It was a helpful experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CANovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed knowing the basic, true values of a employee. It helped me to have a great start on my career in any path I chose.
Awful place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodland HillsNovember 6, 2018
The executives are very condescending and treat the entry level positions awfully. If you are entry level you are paid very little for the amount of work you are given. There is a lot of drama between management and the workers. I would not recommend working here. Majority of the management don’t care about calling back and checking in with the patients.
Pros
Corporate experience
Cons
Low wages and awful management
Not my kind of job
ABA Therapist (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 4, 2018
upper management is not there to support you. They will change your hours without talking to you. They will schedule you for their benefit. No communication. Will get upset for texting their phone. Does not reply to emails in a timely manner
Pros
If you like kids, go for it
Cons
do not rely on anyone but yourself
Great motto, not so great for employees
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 30, 2018
As a standard of practice, CARD really does do their best to benefit kids with autism and I saw some amazing growth in the kids, and their families while I was there. My initial training as a BT consisted of a trainer that had a hard time communicating and actually connecting with us, and my training ended by being extremely intimated by the other team members of the office. Each individual kid is given a “team” of therapist/technicians to work with them, and when you’re “brand new” you’re looked at like an enemy and like you don’t belong.

Along with this, when I was hired I was told I’d have 30 hours a week, and was actually given 12-14 due to licenses that was never divulged to me. I was then scheduled entirely without my permission for sessions with kids I’d never worked with, or at times I had scheduled myself for other things because I was not previously given a work schedule. When this type of stuff is brought up, management just seemed to get irrited and would treat you like you’re hurting the kid by not being there. (Mind you, management gets bonuses if ALL their houses are scheduled appropriately, even if they should schedule you without your permission - I later found out this was against policy but was happening all over my region)

Fast forward to a few months later, I joined the administrative side of things. My trainer was rude, and spent about 30% of my training actually training me and spent the rest complaining about her life, or talking poorly about the technicians I had just worked with. Fast forward to my first dat as an administrative employee, at
  more... a new office, my supervisor had only been a manager for a couple months, had no idea how to train or support me and instead of discussing this with me, she discussed it with the office trainer within ear shot of me. She would just expect me to know things, and when I would ask a question or ask for support she would take the task or project away from me and do it herself.

When I brought this up to the supervisor for the area, that same awful trainer (who only spent about 30% of her time with me), was sent to “support us” and concluded with telling me that I make myself seem important and I was not worth as much as I thought. She then gave me “busy work” in the form of a schedule and told me that I should be “happy now.”

CARD tries to make themselves seem like a supportive company, but behind the scenes employees aren’t treated well, managers are thrown in without really knowing what they’re doing or having support and each office is so different (not always for the better).

My final leg with CARD brought me a different area of the company (not a specific office - so “higher up”) where I was guilt tripped into staying far longer than I should have and I barley made enough money to pay for gas, and food, none the less bills and life.

If you do not need to financially support yourself off of a job (like you’re in school), CARD may be worth your time. But trying to balance my life, actually surviving and working did not go over well with this company.
Pros
Great experience with kids, the elearning and actual clinical training will set you up for success in the future
Cons
Lack of training, scheduling, no support, unreal expectations, unfair wages, uncomfortable atmosphere
Best ABA company around
Bcba (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 27, 2018
I came from another ABA company who was nice but smaller and still working out the kinks. I relocated and was lucky enough to find CARD and I wouldn’t work for any other ABA company! This company is amazing and treats its employees like family, providing paid training, support at all levels and some great benefits. It is so impressive how long people stay working here because... why would you leave? I’ve been here for a year and have no plans to leave. I’d say coming in as a therapist (to any ABA company really) can be tough because working with kidos with autism can be tough, and CARD gives a lot of training and expects the therapist working with their clients to be top quality because the kiddos Do not deserve anything less! And if you have the dedication and work ethic and get through the training... it is so worth it and rewarding with tons of opportunities to move up!!!
Pros
If you are interested in working with kids with autism at all in your life.., the training, support and experience you get with CARD will benefit you for the rest of your life!
Cons
If you are just looking for an easy part time job to get you by, this probably isn’t for you. Though they are super flexible on hours, the training process is not one you can take lightly. Great for students.
Does not appreciate employees
Admin (Former Employee) –  Woodland HillsOctober 18, 2018
I loved working with my supervisor and coworkers. However, it was stressful because of the workload since company is expanding so fast. They need to take care of their employees that make up the body of the entire business. Without the people who work at the office, there will be no behavioral therapists who will work for the children because no one will take care of their needs and no one will process their paperworks and no one will process the paperworks of their clients. It is the people who work at the office that lacks stability. The amount of pay is low. They do not care about the cost of living, they will see you as an entry level person even though you are one of the most important people who makes the company progress. They will not care if you are not a part of the management because you will receive the least amount of benefits as possible. They only care about the therapists who apply! Not the admins!!! They need to fix their rates based on the employee's position. Be warned of their job ads that has benefits information."For qualifying employees" means that those are the management.
Pros
Coworkers, supervisor and nice office
Cons
Low pay, no benefits unless you are at a high position, work hours and workload
Interview
P.O.S Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 5, 2018
I have not actually worked at here but I did have a phone interview where they explained the hours needed from week to weekend and that I would be also providing in home therapy which all sounds great to me until the COMPETITIVE pay means min wage to start for at least 3 weeks and for being in Long beach the pay would jump up to 14$ not worth the time and driving around.
Cons
pay
Fun workplace
Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 3, 2018
Low pay for the cost of living, it's good if you enjoy working with children as a part time job. No health benefits. No set hours, for if a family cancels due to a sick child you cannot replace those hours until probable if the following week.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
No paid vacation
Horrible
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 28, 2018
This is a horrible place to work. Staff are over worked and underpaid. The company cares more about billing insurance companies than providing adequate and qualitative care for its patients.
Amazing place to work!
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 26, 2018
I have been with the company for several years now. I have enjoyed growing with the company over the past few years. Growing from as a therapist into an operations Manager has been very rewarding.
Pros
Fulfilling CARDS Mission
Cons
Pay & compensation
Don't waste precious hours of your life working here
Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CASeptember 20, 2018
This place is the worst. They reel you in with certain promises but it's all lies. Not a good job for a working mom as they do not care about you or your schedule. Never set hours, they change your schedule as they see fit even after being told numerous times you only want pt hours. In a short period of time you get burnt out as they pile clients on you. They train you by making you sit in a room and watch videos for hours. They do a poor job of communicating. As I had no idea I signed a contract. I plan to finish my year and gain experience and wash my hands of this awful place. They believe in quantity over quality. Not a good place to work if you have a family of your own. As they dont care about your well being. Good job for a college student or someone with a lot of open availability.
Pros
Working with the families and kids
Cons
Disappointing all together
Official response from Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.
September 25, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are consistently reviewing our scheduling practices to ensure the best possible experience for both the families we service and our employees. As a company, we make it our mission to ultimately improve the lives of our clients and their loved ones, so allowing our employees to maintain the work/life balance they need is equally valuable to us. Please make sure to communicate your concerns to your Operations Manager so we can address them appropriately. You can also provide more specific information about your issues or any suggestions on how we can improve to StaffResources@centerforautism.com.

Poor training
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 18, 2018
I resigned from CARD due to a poor training program which consistiited of 4 days. In the 5 plus months that I was there 11 people left the clinic that I worked at with less than 30 employees that is outrageous and says a lot about CARD and their lack of conviction in seeing that their employees become successful. Additionally on my exit interview I was not given my final check or any information about COBRA just an indication of just how unprofessional they are with their employees. Tip stop the retreats and put money in greatly improving the employee training programs.
Pros
Working with families
Cons
Training
Amazing!
Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 10, 2018
Amazing job! Training is very extensive and important. Working with the kids is a blessing, they are AMAZING. But it is emotionally draining. You will work hands on with a lot of difficult behaviors and walk away with a few scars. Advancement opportunities are a must if you want more hours. Do not expect to stay in one position for very long. The work environment is very motivational and the company does their best to provide support for therapists. This is an amazing job that requires no experience or education. Training is paid.
Pros
Snacks, motivation, rewarding kids
Cons
Contract to company for 1 year
Exceptional Training and True to Mission
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2018
I have worked for CARD a few years, and it is the reason I fell in love with ABA. The training really prepares you for working in the field of ABA (combo of eLearning, role-play, and hands-on overlaps with the patients). It is paid at minimum wage, but it is also super thorough. Incredible supervisors there - dedicated, professional, knowledgeable, and grounded - they constantly jump in to pick up therapy shifts when therapists need coverage, and they are very open to providing feedback and support. And I genuinely love the team there - they are my second family.
On corporate level, I really respect the integrity and mission of the company. They uphold a high standard for clinical quality, and I know the supervisors regularly consult with senior clinicians who have been in the field for 20-25 years. Several of the directors and chief executives are also BCBA's that have been with the company for years, so I genuinely believe they choices are driven by clinical rationale and intergity. Lastly, I really respect that we don't turn kids away based on their age or the severity of their autism. I love CARD and have had a truly wonderful experience there.
Pros
Mission, training, team.
Cons
Pay
Do NOT waste your time working for a company that does not value their employees
Operations Manager, Center (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 3, 2018
They work you like a dog and upper management/corporate does not value the work their employees put in. Everyone there is replaceable. The salary for Operations Managers is LAUGHABLE. I was told when I signed on with them that I would be given monthly mentor meetings. Well, that never happened. After my annual review, I asked AGAIN to be given a mentor meeting and my Regional Manager said she was too busy this month but would shoot for next month. Gee, glad to know you could make time for me in 2 months?! How kind of you. I would NOT recommend this company to any perspective employee. Don’t waste your time. You will be told a load of lies your first couple of weeks, but they never follow through. Retention at CARD is terrible, and for good reason.
For experience only
Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 1, 2018
It's a great job if you're looking to gain experience. Definitely treat this job as a second job. It's part time and hours are hard to come by. If you give them open availability your schedule will take up full time hours but you'll only get paid part time. Management can be unprofessional at times and shows no respect for therapist.
Pros
Working with children, gaining experience
Cons
Short breaks, Little hours
Very little pay and unreasonable hours
ABA Therapist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 28, 2018
A typical day at work was driving 30 minutes to a kids house and not being paid for it. Then, driving another 30 minutes to the center for a short session of an hour or 2, having a 2 hour break before driving to another session that started at 4 and ended at 7. They only pay for the drive time from one session to another, and it's only minimum wage. But to top it off, you're only being paid a few more dollars for the actual therapy session. I was started at $12.00 and I was told that the only reason I could not be paid more was because of insurance. That is not true. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Overworked and Underpaid
Behavioral Therapist IV, Center (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2018
To be fair, being a behavioral therapist is a great entry level position. However, the pay was abysmal, regardless of promotion. The salary is not competitive by any means. The company also seems to value quantity over quality and does little to nothing to assure employee loyalty.
Pros
Great work environment, rewarding job, lovely coworkers, much room for growth
Cons
Low pay
A good place to gain experience, but not a home.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAAugust 27, 2018
As I write this, it has been less than a year since we were told, at a company retreat, that our jobs were not going to be outsourced. Now, after having had my job outsourced, I'm inclined to disbelieve that statement. The team that I worked with in the IT department was great. No complaints whatsoever on that front. However, it seemed like no one else in the company liked our department and the management was just looking for the opportunity to remove us in favor of the offshore team that they could pay a pittance for.
Pros
IT team was excellent and a lot of fun to work with
Cons
Management was poor outside of the department and made foolish decisions to cut costs.
stressful
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 23, 2018
doesn't pay well for the amount of work you do. Difficult to have a work/life balance. Certain individuals in management are unkind and make your work even more stressful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about