Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.
Happiness rating is 53 out of 100

Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States788 reviews

You need to love kids and really want to help and be attentive. If you do not like kids this job is not for you.

The attitudes and demeanor of the workers here vary by location. Managers seem helpful and want to help you succeed but they lack in communication and organization. Team support from other BTs is necessary but hard to get sometimes due to individual clients having specific treatment plans. Paid Training at minimum wage then you need to pass a test and a few sessions being shadowed by a supervisor.

Pros

Cake, Nice people, Satisfaction in helping

Cons

Management disorganization, Not paid when clients cancel last minute, You must give 4 weeks in advance notice for schedule change, Unstable hours

inconsistent hours and no work life balance

When I first got hired I was excited to make a change in the children's lives, but due to the lack of support from management, work culture, and inconsistent hours, I left. You're basically "on call" at this job as they expect you to check your messages AND reply when you're off the clock and at home. They would also expect you to cover someone's shift at the very last minute. Work culture was nonexistent. It seemed like management and BT's were on different "teams". This job can also get physically/mentally draining. You're expected to take data, manage behaviors, read notes, while also keeping the child engaged and can get very overwhelming at times.

Pros

learning experience

Cons

inconsistent hours, work culture, no work-life balance, asking for restroom breaks

Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc. insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

terrible company

This company is terrible and they don't care about their employees or clients. Im going to be leaving very soon because I know there are better companies out there who really care. They only care about making money.

Pros

making a difference in a childs life

Cons

terrible company, bad supervisors

Essentially just a day-care gig.

There's a huge disconnect between this company's mission statement and their follow-through. Coming in, I expected this to be a place where I could learn more about child psychology and get the opportunity to work with an underserved community. In reality, the only real training that you get is through online modules and a handful of shadowing experiences - from people who may have only recently been hired themselves - before you're expected to jump right in. And since parents can get this service through health insurance, you run into the issue where managers are only concerned with maximizing the billable hours a the clinic can charge rather than focusing on how clients are actually being impacted by the therapy itself*. Any concerns that you may have with how the clinic is being run are largely dismissed or undermined. The pay and benefits are also not competitive compared to similar positions in this field. The only major upside I can think of is that working with some of the clients can be extremely rewarding, and if you have solid coworkers, then you can offer each other a lot of support. Overall, I would recommend that you pass on this company if you can.*ABA is considered a problematic "therapeutic" technique that a lot of people with autism later go on to resent. Do a lot of research into the practice before taking this job.

Pros

Good coworkers, easy to connect with clients.

Cons

Poor managment, misguided company vision.

High expectations placed upon you with very small reward.

I really wanted to like working for CARD but after trying to be optimistic about this company for months, I couldn't do it anymore. This job is emotionally draining and demanding. What's worse is they are very unwilling to give time off to those who are feeling burnt out. The turnover is horrific. In the year that I worked here, we were constantly understaffed. The employees that stick around are overworked to pick up the slack because the clinic has to provide a certain number of therapy hours each week. It's a lot of pressure and if you try to set boundaries and ask to work less, they make you feel super guilty for it. They also make you feel guilty for taking time off. You are only allowed to request time off three times in a quarter. If a patient cancels on you last minute, you are not paid for that time and patients cancel A LOT. They place so much pressure on you and for what they pay it is not worth it. I do not recommend working for this company.

Hard to go to the bathroom

It's impossible to find a break to go to the bathroom. The pay is really low compared to other companies. There is no pto. Most staff have been there less than a year for a reason. Clients cancel and you lose ten hours out of your week too bad. The company doesn't care about the behavior technicians and it shows. High turnover rate.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Bad scheduling, low pay, low hours, no breaks to go to the bathroom

Lacking in compensation

Behavior technicians do the grunt of the work, but get paid bare minimum without benefits. And if a client cancels, you are sent home without pay. As a result, pay and hours fluctuate.

Pros

Clients, career growth opportunities

Cons

Compensation, inconsistent hours

Work

During the interview, the Operations Manager mentioned incentive program and quarterly bonuses. In the 4 years I worked there I only received two bonuses (each bonus being no more than $20). You work long hours as a behavior technician but do not meet full time. Operations manager is willing to put untrained/inexperienced BTs with highly behavioral children in order to meet their monthly goal for treatment hours. Lack of support, communication, and no benefits leads to high rates of turnover.

Cons

No benefits, limited opportunities for advancement, lack of communication

Great place for an introduction into the field

Kind staff and awesome kids to work with. The pay is not that bad if you're young and still live with your parents. Pay isn't great.Hours are inconsistent.

Would not recommend

They do not provide a clear understanding to what your job duties really will be. Although the training is good, the many hats that you wear are ridiculous. There is a lot of favoritism played when it comes to your management team vs. your BCBA. The BCBA can come and go as you please but if you need time off, it is an issue. They want you to manage the therapists but not the BCBA however, your bonus is based on the performance of the BCBA but you cannot discipline the BCBA for bad attendance or performance. BCBA was allowed to lie about providing services for the client and instead of being terminated, the BCBA was given time off. You are required to be a marketer, the front desk receptionist, and the manager.

Non liveable wage

Horrible company, bad hours, and low pay rate for the amount of work you do. Would not recommend non liveable wage even with certifications. Manager was coo, supervisors are terrible and do nothing in terms of treatment plans.

Toxic Work Environment Hire Unschooled People

Very unprofessional and unethical. Does not treat staff fairly or give proper training. No work/life balance. Unrealistic job goals. Very high turnover. Work Environment is super toxic. BTs bully others. Don’t try to help out with clients. HR doesn’t help out. BCBAs are schooled but don’t help out. The company hires people from recommendations that don’t have psychology training “trying something new”. Overall the professionalism is not in the company. Highly recommend not joining the team. Very clicky like high school.

Pros

Pay

Cons

No advancement unless you have a degree

It’s a revolving door

As soon as new people are hired people leave. The supervisor don’t seem involved and stay in their offices. However a great place for advancement if you want.

Chaotic work environment and poor communication.

The last few months the company has really went down hill. The BT and the Clients only got a three week notice that this center was shutting down. Upper management ignores the concerns of there BTs. The communication of the with there employees and clients is awful. The only one to listen to the concerns of the BT was the BCBA in which we worked directly.

Cons

No communication

Terrible place to work

Corporate Greed has Stunted CARD’s Growth

Having put nearly three years of hard work and dedication into CARD, I am disheartened with how my experience with this company went, and even more so with how it ended. I was hired at CARD as a behavior technician and promised yearly reviews and salary increases. However, despite working myself up to a BT 3 position, my salary practically stayed the same-a few dollars above the minimum wage. At a time where one could earn $20+ at a fast food chain, I felt the pay was unjust. Although rewarding, running aba sessions is physically and mentally exhausting. You are often running around, exposing yourself to aggressive behaviors, and collecting lots of data. BTs are just as essential to a successful aba company as corporate, so it is time they are treated as such. The turnover rate is horrendous. My center was severely short staffed and this made work a lot more stressful. No one was available to answer phone calls, cover bathroom breaks, or offer an extra hand if needed like there was supposed to be. The overall morale of the center was extremely low, and the ever-changing staff negatively impacted the clients; This was the hardest of all to witness. The communication from management was practically nonexistent. Many times, cancellations were not appropriately communicated often resulting in lots of confusion and frustration. There were multiple times that I was alone at the center with a client with no additional staff. This was uncomfortable since we were told it was a safety violation . I tried to reach out to upper management about my growing concerns with my center, such -

Amazing management hours were random

Great workplace hours were random at times 3 in the morning then 2 at night for ex . says they pay for milage but that's only if you are going to the client's home

Meaningful work

I love being a part of an organization that is making such a positive impact. They care about their patients and staff. They invest in training their staff.

A good place to start

It was a place to get my foot in the door and I got quality training but the pay was, as it generally is with large ABA companies, not a livable wage.

Card

Ive worked here for 5 years, in the beginning I loved it. The team was amazing the management was amazing the only con was the company as a whole sucked at supporting their employees. My former manager fought for the employees, when she quit the whole place fell apart. She quit because the lack of support, care, and compensation from the company. They stopped doing the yearly pay raises and most pay raises. When brand new management was hired the new managing team had no experience in the company and all hope was lost. Many BTS quit and parents started looking else where. As a whole its not an easy job, but when you have a connection with the family you work with that becomes your only reason for staying. I wish I quit sooner

Great company culture / supportive work environment

Definitely appreciate the management team and directors at CARD . They are Constantly here to support our recruiting team and provide feedback when needed. We have frequent meetings stay up to date on our processes and staff development in order to provide quality behavior therapist to CARD offices.I really enjoy connecting with our candidates and helping them begin an awesome career in ABA!

Pros

Flexible hours / company culture

Cons

Na

Common questions about Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.

Answered by current and former employees at Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc. with

• Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?