Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.

Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc. Employee Reviews

Okay at first
On a normal day, you could have 2-5 sessions, depending on how many cases you are assigned to and your availability and other factors. Each session can last from 1-5 hours with 1-1 ABA therapy with a kid. At first it may seem overwhelming having to track every thing the kid does, but after a while you get the hang of it. Some things to think about it the possibility of being put with an aggressive kid and potentially getting hit, scratched, spit on, kicked, and lots more. On the other hand, while working with these kids for a while, you start to see a change in them and honestly, its very rewarding to see that all the therapy hours you put in are paying off.

The one thing I disliked about working here was that the hours were not consistent. You could have 3 sessions in one day each 2 hrs long, but if 2 of those kids cancel for whatever reason and leadership team can't find you a reroute (another kid to go to), you just lost $60 of your paycheck. Another thing about scheduling is that sometimes you get to a kids house and they aren't home or they decide to cancel last minute, no reroute found, so you made a trip all the way out to their house for nothing, and the center doesn't pay you for traveling there. They do pay for wait time, but the max they will pay you for is 15min.

For payed time off, you are required to have been working at the center for at least 90 days. You also are required to work 1 weekend day until a certain amount of time. I believe its 54 weekends. For sick time, you are allotted a certain amount of time for the year.

Overall working here has taught
 - more...
Pros
working with kids, flexible hours, growth within company
Cons
not enough pay, inconsistent hours
Terrible Management, Rewarding Position
I found that I never got enough hours despite what I was "guaranteed" by my boss prior to an during the hiring process. The schedule, activities, and training was really poorly managed/communicated and often changed at the last minute. The job itself was very rewarding and often times quite enjoyable, however I would not suggest it if you don't have a great amount of patience and energy as it is often a very tiring position.

Most importantly, though... If you take this job, assume you will get less hours and therefore less money than they originally tell you.
Worst Company
I was so excited to finally do something I'm passionate about and to further my career. This job did the complete opposite. They treat their employees horribly, and sadly, their clients. Insanely unethical. This specific office has a HUGE turnover rate for a reason. There was constant miscommunications with the employees and families. 10/10 would never work for this company nor reccomend to anyone
Motivating and inclusive environment
The culture that this office provides is motivating and encouraging. You are pushed to grow within your role and supported throughout your time here. Regardless if CARD is your professional end goal, they are more than willing to help you reach your full potential.
Pros
Employee of the month, work social events
Cons
Intense training
Good work, bad hours, not stable
Well when I got called for an interview they told me it was full time . I got through training , for my schedule and it’s like 20 hours a week IF I even get that.
Don’t get me wrong , I love the work, I love what we do, BUT the hours are horrible , it can potentially be a waste of time if you get through the training and don’t pass an overlap or a test which you only get one shot at . And you probably work at most 2-5 hours a day 6 days a week . Usually two hours a day
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
A Waste of Time
Unfortunately, I never made it passed being hired. There were nothing but issues with a new company they contracted with for hiring and nobody from my local office all the way up to corporate could help. Well, corporate wouldn't return my calls. I more or less harrassed the number I was given to fix the problem and never heard back.

Through Hireright, I did my TB test. Then nearly a week later, I decided to look and see where I was at within the hiring process. When I did so, I noticed they had the link for me to download to do the drug test. They put it on my account that day, which was Friday, 3 days before Veteran's Day. It said that is expired on the 11th. The clinic Hireright used was closed Saturday, Sunday and Veteran's Day. On Friday's, the nurses leave at noon. A nurse is the only one that can do the urine samples, TB tests and other blood work. Hireright said I would need to contact my hiring recruiter. I did, and I was given a number with an extension. Then I called several times a day and left messages every day for two weeks. Then I obviously realized I was becoming obsessive and decided to quit trying and take my qualities, experience and work ethics somewhere else.

I was definitely super bummed about the whole situation as I was really excited to work here.
It was ok
If you're into this field, this would be a good entry level job. You do work remotely, and the majority of the time your work is independent. I felt like there was lack of support from management and it is hard to build relationships with your co-workers because you never really see them or interact with them, except during monthly meetings. This job is very rewarding in working with the kids, but this role was just not for me.
Disappointing
They provided great training if you are new to the field. Poor salary not enuigh hours, promises of moving up in the company with no real intentions of doing so. Management played favorites. Co-workers threw each other under the bus to get ahead. If they didnt personally like you, they would reprimand you often. Left staff unsupported in emergencies with aggressive clients.
helping people in need
Reason for being there is to help the Patients that are in need of help. I have learn a lot on how to care for these patients. I enjoy working in the office just to see their smile when you greet them with a friendly smile and to speak to them that's what make my day.
Meaningful Work, Doesn't Pay Well at Entry-Level
This place provided one of the most meaningful opportunities I ever had and to this day still greatly appreciate it. As a behavior therapist, I had the chance to work with kids on achieving behavioral goals. In addition, I also got to learn so much about how autism affects families. My coworkers were fun and mostly young (18-20s). Most of the BCBAs were in their 30s. I will say that the pay wasn't great, but I stuck around for a good while because I enjoyed it.
Pros
Great environment, fun people
Cons
Low pay, unreliable clients, odd hours
Important work but poor organization and compensation
Pros:
-Friendly and kind co-workers

-Important work for children on the spectrum and their families

-Flexible hours/schedule/location

-Some training to obtain certification(s)

-Many office locations so it's easy to move

-They hire quickly (because turn-over rate is high)

-Technology like Ipad

-Meetings with supervisors to collaborate with other therapists/families

Cons:

-Lots of driving to homes/school

-Terrible compensation ad benefits for the demand of the work

-Management is not organized and sometimes condescending supervisors

-Work is demanding and takes up a lot of energy

-There should be more training

-Work in the evenings and weekends

-They only require HS diploma when I started working (no Bachelor's needed)

-Company prioritizes profit over employees

-Turn-over rate is high
Its a good place to work especially coming from no experience in the ABA field.
It is a fulfilling career helping individuals affected by autism spectrum disorder. The company provides good training however, the salary and benefits are very low.
Fun workplace, great learning and work enviroment
Behavior Technicians implement center, school, and home treatment programs for CARD patients and their families using applied behavior analysis (ABA). The CARD Behavior Technician is an integral part of the treatment team whose effectiveness directly contributes to patient success. Behavior Technicians receive individualized, ongoing mentorship from experienced behavior analysts to ensure the highest quality treatment and to support career growth for Behavior Technicians who wish to advance. Behavior Technicians have extensive opportunities to advance quickly as they gain certification and expertise.
Sucks
CARD was the first ABA company I applied at. I interviewed at two different locations with two different people and was hired. I went through all the training and passed all the tests required, except the final overlap. The liaison told me if we did not pass the final overlap, we could receive more training in order to pass, which was a lie.

During final overlap, my assessors iPad was malfunctioning the entire time, preventing her from scoring me. That session I ran was 100% perfect, but not counted. I was set up the next day for another session with a different client. That session, to this day I still remember how horribly it went. With the limited training I was given and the extreme level of behaviors from the client, I did not pass. Not only was the client engaging in one of the worst tantrums I have ever seen even to this day, I had two supervisors observing me and providing 0 feedback or help, because I should have technically been ‘able’ to handle it.

The liaison did not listen to what I had to say or offer any support, they fired me. I sobbed in the office for half an hour and left. I have since been an RBT for 2 years. Also when they hired me pay was 12.50, but my current company is 16+ an hour and don’t put you through this experience. Find a better company.
Soul crushing
Don't work here unless you want to have your soul chipped away on a daily basis, you enjoy being the scapegoat, you enjoy inadequate training, you enjoy working for a place that doesn't have enough infrastructure to support the growth they want.
Not Worth It
The job started great & ended terribly. Hours cut, employees gossiping & so on. A coworker lied to get me fired although there were multiple witnesses. HR said they’d investigate & contact me- never heard anything since then. Unprofessional, unorganized, & lots of favoritism. Low pay, overworked, & hardly any benefits. They don’t value employees. Unless you know someone before working there, you aren’t taken care of. The company culture doesn’t match company “values.” The pay is extremely low for what is expected and what you actually do. I don’t recommend working in a hostile environment as everyone has their own cliques and they make it obvious that you are not welcome. Do not work here.
Austin-North location
Pro- It’s a really good job for those who want to get ABA experience. The kids are great to work with, but every child is different though. You have to be mentally and physically prepared for your day everyday.
Con- If you’re counting on your hours to get through with bills then it’s a bad job. If a session gets canceled, you don’t get paid UNLESS you find another session in that week or get makeup hours. Don’t expect to have weekends off. For the first year you’re expected to work Saturday’s. You may even get scheduled for Sunday sessions. The hours are long. And you will more than likely have some home sessions.
Not a stable income
Work elsewhere, not enough training and you will get thrown in with cases you will not be fully prepared for. It’s sad that’s the case, but expect it and hopefully your not shy and can learn fast. If not, then this job may not be the perfect fit. So stay away with this occupation because the struggle is not worth it if you do not sincerely have the passion in helping autistic children.
Pros
They hire fast if you need a job ASAP!
Cons
Not stable and income is terrible for the hard work of earning a bachelors degree.
I’m glad I left
Leaving this job gave me a better experience elsewhere. There was no room for growth here and they played favoritism a lot. Pay is less compared to the amount of work put in. It’s not a good job for the long run.
Ugh
They really don't care about their staff, especially their senior staff. People aren't allowed to have a life and they get paid poorly. Now a days it's all about CF and never about the people who make that possible.
Okay place
High turn over rate for office managers and therapist. Need better upper management that can support employees with needs that come with a job like a behavioral therapist.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3