Center for Disability Services Employee Reviews

Long days
MENTAL HEALTH CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 19, 2019
The job is not hard its the management. I was over all 2o something clients all with developmental disabilities, most were in wheelchairs. I set up goal, activity plan for the year, wheelchair repair, social security, doctor appointments, specialized treatments, guardian visits, shopping, money management for the clients, counseling programs, activities in the community and at home.
Pros
Clients are great
Cons
no support
very fun workplace
Community Habilitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 11, 2019
great team to work with and fun to work with. Benefits were nice and pay was fair. Managers were very polite and easy to work with and understanding of scheduling.
productive and fun workplace
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 31, 2019
I enjoy working at the center because of the invaluable service we provide to the consumers we transport. it makes for a productive and worthwhile humanitarian gesture.
Working for the center for disability services has been nothing but a rewarding and fulfilling experience.
Community Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 29, 2019
Working for the center for disability has been an amazing experience and has greatly aided me in my personal development while also teaching me valuable skills that are applicable to several other fields.
Poor Communication
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYJanuary 16, 2019
I had been hired with the company and, therefore, submitted my two weeks notice to the job I had currently been with. On the evening before I was to start my training for the job (thereby leaving the job I was currently at), they notified me that there was a medical concern that prevented me from being trained and they were terminating my employment before I had even made a cent with them.

I had had my physical with their nurse a week or two prior to this phone call and they had waited until the last minute to call me, leaving me unemployed and with no explanation as to what the medical concern was.
Not for profit company, so pay doesn't match with what is expected.
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 3, 2018
I enjoyed the flexibility and freedom with my responsibilities. I acted as a liason between clients and clinicians.I covered several different sites. There was not much guidance with clinician's reports and reporting on them in meetings. So it felt like you were going into meetings blindly. The culture was not very professional, with management not giving much guidance.
Pros
flexible schedule, management gives you freedom
Cons
pay
Great place to help people
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 29, 2018
Great place to work if you like helping people. To help them succeed in daily skills, needs and wants.
I work the 3rd shift which is 10pm to 8am but sometimes have to stay later which is ok. It helps them out! Which ever shift you work, you'll be busy. Even overnights!
The hardest part of the job is when someone gets hurt or/and you hear comments from people in society.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when someone achieves their goal!
Pros
Staff appreciation, Staff training, satisfaction of helping people, good benefits.
Cons
No breaks which is ok, possibly getting hurt, pay scale, staffing issues.
great co-workers, low compensation
Speech and Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 27, 2018
I love my clients, my manager is extremely supportive and we have a close department. However, I'm struggling to make ends meet since the Center has not given us a raise since approximately 2010. I'm making the same per hour wage I was making before my daughter was born in 2002. Administration is extremely preoccupied with productivity and treats clinical staff punitively.
Pros
clients, manager, department
Cons
salary, administration
Structured and productive
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 5, 2018
I love my job. It’s a great company and the mission. Mission drives the staff to do better each day. I will continue to advocate for the success of our company
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Staffing
Great atmosphere
Assistant Manager, Residential (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 29, 2018
Great place to work, had a great team that I collaborated with and the atmosphere was enjoyable. Management was knowledgeable and there is room to grow.
Pros
staff
Cons
Hours
Productive and Fun
Resident Counselor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 2, 2018
Overnight work entails cleaning the home, meal prep, laundry during the night. Helping the consumers get ready in the AM for their day including medications, breakfast and lunches in time for thier bus pick up
It sucks , don't work here...
Bath, groom, and assist consumers (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYAugust 7, 2018
I work residential ... its Nothing but AWFUL Directors who do nothing and AWFUL administrators who are never there but pretend to be there when the "important people" are there.. when you have a problem it is never addressed nor is the disciplinary action, it is like working with a bunch of 40 year old children.. The job its self is awesome and not the problem, its honestly some of the people running/ working here.
Pros
Consumers
Cons
coworkers
Working with some terrific clients.
Permanent Substitute Teacher/Aid (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 7, 2018
Many of the clients will win your heart immediately. I appreciate my current classroom and their parents. The dedicated teachers, paraprofessionals and clients will be what keeps workers coming back.
Pros
The clients.
Cons
you have to wait a year to get retirement and insurance is expensive.
Very little cultural Diversity within the work place, when I first came I was the only person of color.
Direct Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 26, 2018
When I first came in my responsibility was to make sure the rooms air conditions were on. I went around the building cutting on the air and lights for the consumers. When the consumers arrived I helped get them into the building so that they could go to the bathroom. I made sure that their lunches were in the refrigerator to keep their food from spoiling. Next I observed the consumer and staff interactions in the Big Room. I mostly made sure that they were interacting and engaging with the consumers. I had to learn every consumer and their diagnosis. My paperwork the management did not train me properly I did not have written job task to help me learn the job. I felt that it was actually setting me up for failure. My previous job had all of the job task written down so if we forgot how to do something we could refer back to an operational manual. I did not have this at Center for Disability Services. Most of the people who were in charge of the Center had been their for more than 20 years. I was expected to learn everything within less that 5 months. The work place culture was laid back and If you didn't get in on the conversations, you don't fit in. My job was to walk around the center and make sure everything was going well. When the consumer were put into a group they were taken to the front of the building and loaded into the buses or vans. My job was to make sure the consumers were safe in the front of the building. After the consumer loaded in the vans and buses. I could do my paper work, The hardest part of the job was learning the job tasks or paperwork,  more... I had two sessions of training from a previous staff that was in my position. After those sessions I had to ask my supervisor and she did not explain the tasks clearly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the consumers. I enjoyed interacting with all of them.  less
Pros
Working with the consumers who were developmentally disabled.
Cons
Learning what was the expected culture within this work place.
Center for Disability Services is good place to work with a lot to offer it's employees.
Finance Associate - A/R (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 24, 2018
The typical day was busy.
I basically knew all the aspects of my position but was able to hone my skills.
Management was fair and easy to work with for most part.
For most part co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with.
Working insurance claims could be the most difficult part of the positions.
I enjoyed the Account Receivable part of my position most and second would be getting difficult claims paid.
Pros
good benefits, a lot to offer it's employees.
Cons
Lack of proper training to handle position in new software system.
Excellent work environment - staff is wonderful, management is great.
RN Health Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJuly 22, 2018
Wonderful work environment, staff all work together to help residents. Events planned to thank staff. Sometimes difficult as nurse to get assistance from other nurses/ nursing management with difficult situations requiring you to work some hectic long hours to provide adequate care for residents.Rate of pay for nurses not competitive, very low.
good
Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 18, 2018
Taking care of people with any kind of disability is a not easy but if you love what you do no matter what it can never be hard because you do it from your heart, loved that i was able to do that with love.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Enjoyed working with special needs individuals
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Glenville, NYJuly 17, 2018
I enjoyed working with the individuals in the program and in my room. It was very rewarding to help and work with this individuals. We became friends and had lots of fun doing things in the class room and out in the community.
Pros
Have a handicap daughter and was able to leave or stay home with her.
Cons
Had favorite and treated the rest poorly. Very unprofessional behavior
Program Manager
Program Manager for Residential Program (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 15, 2018
I was a program manager for this company. I worked in and ICF with mentally and physically handicapped. I loved the company. I left because I moved back to NY
Pros
compensation, work hours
Cons
They do great work for amazing people
Special Education Teaching Assistant Langan School (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 5, 2018
Amazing people who otherwise would not get to live to to the fullest at school because they do not have the resources are provided those here and i think thats amazing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Disability Services. Our community is ready to answer.