Center for Discovery Employee Reviews

Good job
Diet Tech (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMay 21, 2018
It was a good job and a nice place to work at. All of the staff is very helpful and very friendly. They all helped me out when I first started working there and made me feel welcome.
Do not apply here!
Primary Therapist (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXApril 29, 2018
This place has the highest turn over rate!! Management sucks, all employees are always stressed, not much support from program director. When interviewing for the job they do not tell you what all is involved. There is no way you can do all that is required in 8 hours. Believe the bad reviews! I worked here for three months and left super anxious and miserable! Not worth it!
Pros
Good pay, clients, free food
Cons
Bad benefits, long hours, work/life balance, calling insurances, therapist having the role of dietitians, no lunch break since you eat with clients
Rewarding work with opportunities to grow
Operations (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAApril 26, 2018
Discovery is a great place to grow and learn about the ins and outs of the behavioral healthcare industry. There are many opportunities to relocate in the nationwide organization. It is a great work environment for people who like fast-paced jobs and want to exceed expectations. It also provides an opportunity to learn about high acuity mental healthcare, and for those in the eating disorder division, get specialized training with this population.
Hard work pays off !
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTApril 25, 2018
I just hit my 4 year anniversary at Center for Discovery. I truly LOVE what I do, the people who I have had the pleasure of working with, the room for advancement and excellent management. I think the most important thing you need to excel in this company is a good attitude. It is hard work but extremely rewarding and defiantly never boring!
Pros
Advancement, amazing co-workers, positive atmosphere
Cons
Wish pay was a bit more competitive
Great on going education and training
Counselor III (Current Employee) –  SoCalApril 24, 2018
I have been with Center For Discovery for over 6 years now! I have always felt supported in my professional and personal growth. When I began with the company I had no Eating Disorder experience and have learned everything throughout my time here. The on going education and training that is provided is invaluable! Truly what you put into your time here is what you get out of it.
Pros
On going education and training
When you love your job and coworkers, work is not work.
National Director of Operations Outpatient (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAApril 23, 2018
I have dedicated a total of 10 years of my past 16 years working in behavioral health to Center For Discovery. Having worked for other eating disorder treatment companies, it is the INTEGRITY, culture, opportunity for growth and positive leadership that prompted my return to Discovery. I have had 5 promotions during my time with Discovery. I absolutely LOVE my coworkers and believe the culture of Discovery makes it the best treatment center to work for.
great place to work with plenty of growth opportunities
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAApril 23, 2018
I have worked for Center for Discovery for 4 1/2 years, and during that time the company has provided me with several opportunities for growth. There are many opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard. I have felt supported and enjoyed every team I have been a part of. I love the mission of the company and my co-workers, I have learned and grown so much during my time at Discovery.
Not a great place to work
On-Call Counselor (Former Employee) –  East Quogue, NYApril 20, 2018
Lack of support and understanding from management. Didn't feel like position was respected or valued. Training was a benefit but difficult to speak to management about issues.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lack of support and understanding from management
do not work here
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Southport, CTApril 19, 2018
if you would like to receive passive aggressive text messages daily, feel degraded and belittled, and not taken seriously... this is the job for you! no breaks, constant pressure, paid way to little for the amount of work the counselors do. There is no room for growth in this particular facility due to the treatment team being extremely good friends. who have a group text message and talk constantly. There is no professionalism, and management will never have your back. The workplace culture is extremely negative. while the treatment team is around, the house is awkward and has extreme tension. The hardest part of the day is the entire day. the most enjoyable part is leaving. there is constant turnover, FM is always asking for coverage however has the rudest and unprofessional tone of voice and vocabulary. I am currently working here and there has been no movement in advancement since the time i have been here.
Pros
Cons
everything
Supportive Environment
Facility Manager/Therapist (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXApril 6, 2018
Employees are encouraged to grow their knowledge, and are advanced whenever possible. Center for Discovery cares about their employees and it shows. I love working here!
encouraging and inspiring work place
LPN (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMarch 17, 2018
house like setting comfortable
staff very friendly as well as clients
a lot of encouraging and uplifting very positive vibe
its an awesome place to work pay just not that good
Lvn
License vocational nurse (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 11, 2018
•Obtains vital signs, height, weights, measurements, specimen collection (blood/urine), lab data entry and reviews lab results.
•Assists in admission of clients by taking histories and gathering other pertinent data to complete admission physical and ongoing care.
•Participates in chart audits, policy and procedure developments, safety inspections, and other duties involved in meeting Joint Commission requirements.
• Performs or assists in medical procedures as directed by physician’s orders. • Audits the prescription drug supply cabinet for expired medications and recall alerts. Destroy unused medication in a safe manner.
•Orders supplies and manages inventory needs of the medical exam suite and any clinical needs.
• Works in collaboration with Center for Discovery doctors to identify patients that need medical attention during the course of their stay.
•Complete other duties as assigned by Medical Director or Outpatient Doctors.
• Demonstrates professional conduct, concern, respect and compassion toward all patients, families, co-workers, and the public as a representative of Center for Discovery.
Management Sucks
Milieu Counselor (Former Employee) –  Southport, CTFebruary 27, 2018
I worked overnights there for 4 years, and I tried to get day shift hours for 3 years. I witness employees come and go but they were "unable" to accommodate me. I was finally offered/promised morning shift hours this year (6am-1), but then the company moved to a new location and the shift block changed to (7-3pm). lots of favoritism, lack of support from management. You need to find your own coverage if you need to call in sick. very high turnover. Myself and 3 others were there the longest. Pay sucks and expected a lot. no loyalty.
Pros
free food
Cons
everything else
You can’t always judge a book by its positive reviews
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTFebruary 23, 2018
The environment shifted rapidly from friendly to hostile. Only 3-4 months into the position, corporate gave our facility 2 weeks notice (MAX.) to pack up the clients and move to another house. Upon our arrival, the house was filthy and every was on it’s last limb. Staff went without a dishwasher for 3+ months, the washer/dryer is incapable of functioning as intented and corporate could care less about it. Management was great and staff functioned well until a program director was hired after lasting 3 months without one. If a staff member is in need of coverage due to illness, it is expected that they contact at least five of the other employees in attempt to cover their shift. If not, it is expected that they come into work anyways. The environment is uncomfortable, immature and the clients are not given the opportunity to grow in their treatment... It is like a prison for them (being watched 24/7) and sadly, for the majority of staff.
Pros
Great co-counselors
Cons
Everything and anything
No breaks at all.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAFebruary 14, 2018
Work 8hr shift with no breaks, or lunch break. You eat with the kids still supervising constantly. Can’t leave to go buy outdoor meals. You eat what they have.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Can’t eat what you want, only what they have. Can’t get a break, and your own lunch
Cut throat
Counselor (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJanuary 29, 2018
When interviewing for the job they do not tell you what all is involved. There is no way you can do all that is required in 8 hours. You have to clock out and stay at work to finish. Management is discriminatory and has favorites. You have to work Holidays, weekends and do you get to take your vacation time without finding someone to cover your shifts.
Pros
free meals
Cons
no breaks, overwork, many of your own hours off the time clock at work
Mission driven organization
Senior Manager of Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAJanuary 25, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my career at Center for Discovery and was sad to see it end. If you have a heart to help those who are hurting and in a crisis, then Discovery is the place where you need to be.
Pros
Mission Driven, Culture, Coloborative
Cons
Nothing that stands out
Difficult
Residential Associate (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYJanuary 19, 2018
You really have to come in with a passion for what the job requires because if you don't it will be very challenging. The work is not easy and for what a person is required to do the pay is not that great.
Exciting but changeable work environment
Neuropsychologist (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYJanuary 17, 2018
Dynamic place to work, but programs change and shift abruptly. They are willing to try new ideas, but don't always pay attention to details. Verycreative environment. There seems to be a 2 steps forward, 1 step back pattern between their clinical and financial branches of the organization. On the whole it was a good experience, but not long term predictability.
Good place to work. It's working with teens, which can sometimes be challenging, but fun.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Center for DiscoveryJanuary 6, 2018
The company strives to ensure that others are heard and understood. They believe in positive culture and accountability. There is monthly staff recognition, voted by staff (peers), and quarterly team events. You get the chance to work at other locations if you want. There are also a lot of training provided and supervision for clinical hours.
Pros
relaxed environment, free meals, great benefits, opportunity to learn a lot, get supervision, and if working on-call, you will definitely get hours
Cons
not enough time to get things done

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Discovery. Our community is ready to answer.