Center for Discovery Employee Reviews

Management Was Horrible
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Minneola, FL 34755August 13, 2018
A work day is stressful and there is always changes in scheduling, incorrect practices etc. I am happy that I left the facility because it was stressful and the facility manager was not truthful regarding different aspects of the job. A diet tech was a counselor.
Poorly managed company
Primary Outpatient Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAAugust 9, 2018
The company is poorly managed; reactive rather than proactive. Company does not value individual employees who serve pivotal roles in the organization. Employees are shifted where the need is, rather than place people where they thrive and contribute to an overall positive atmosphere.
I love working here
LVN (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 1, 2018
The management is so awesome and understanding. The work environment is both challenging but very enjoyable. Great place to learn and to apply what you've learned at school.
I learned a lot
Group Counselor (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYJuly 8, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Assisting the individuals gives me joy and I feel that am making a different in someone's life. My co-workers are great and professional.
Just Don’t
Counsler (Former Employee) –  New York StateJune 28, 2018
I would not recommend working here. They do not train accordingly, they are not supportive and they expect you to take on work for three people. Most directors are incompetent in their positions and provide no support. Facility manager is inappropriate with clients and staff. There is no accountability for anyone’s actions. The pay is horrible. The only good part of the job is the clients, they are the reason to come to work. Corporate cares about money and not client care or safety.
Pros
Food, Amazing Clients
Cons
Unsupportive, unethical, dishonesty, terrible pay for amount of work
Horrible Company
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  La Habra Heights, CAJune 18, 2018
This company is by far the worst I have ever worked for. They have favorites and there is no direction here. If a task needs to get done management does not help you they say "go ask the clients" they should know where it is. WTF, horrible attitudes with staff and underpaid especially for all the work that needs to be done. There is not enough hours in a day to write all notes and there is not instruction on how to get things done you learn as you go. I was fired sadly but only because I needed time off and because they are so short staffed finding coverage is IMPOSSIBLE and nonetheless they do not care if you get coverage or not if your sick or not this place was horrible.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Have to eat just as little or as much as the in house patients, staff shows no consideration for others
Job field is rewarding but management takes fun from job and creates stressful work environment.
Senior Residential Associate (Current Employee) –  Harris, NYJune 13, 2018
Job has potential to be a excellent experience for anyone to invest in a career in the field of healthcare of individuals with special needs but management creates a stressful work environment and does not show any staff appreciation. It is not uncommon to be asked to complete tasks that are not within your job description and be held accountable when task are not completed, There is very little chance of job advancement and pay raises or very few and far between.
A great place to work with many opportunities to grow
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYJune 11, 2018
I spent many years employed here and began as a Residential Associate then progressed to a Registered nurse. It is a wonderful place to work where the children and adults who reside there are truly loved and cared for by all staff. Everything there is catered to each individual resident. From the custom wheelchairs, orthotics and all other assistive devices to their diets, therapies and school programs. It is a place where I would feel confident to place my own children if every a situation arose resulting in them needing to be there.
Pros
A very health conscious environment for both staff and residents. The quality of care is impeccable
Cons
None that I can think of
Burn out is a real problem
Counselor (Current Employee) –  NYJune 10, 2018
If you are looking for a job where you go home crying and stressed most days, then definitely apply here. While the clients can be great, the pay is lousy, particularly for the location, and the raises barely cover cost of living. Starting employees make barely more than a Starbucks barista, but are responsible for the safety of really sick kids. There is no way to finish your work in an 8 hour shift. Upper management is stressed and has no time to help. Most people can't last year over a year
Pros
Free food; some clients are grateful; opportunities for training
Cons
Little room for growth, poor pay, expect to work off the clock, poisonous staff members
Worst Company to Work For!!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 8, 2018
Believe all the negative reviews. This is the worst company I personally have ever worked for. The pay sucks and culture of the company is favoritism. There is no job security and staff gets fired at will. Employees are catty and untrustworthy, throwing you under the bus at the very slight opportunity they get. Management sucks and have no people skills. Unqualified people thrust into management position makes this whole place the worst place to be. You are required to eat with clients so you have no break to yourself. Hours are cut when client census go below 4 so your paycheck goes up and down, while your bills to be paid remain the same. You are required to cook, clean and give meds while performing your duties a as a counselor. So much to do with very little pay. The worst part of it all is you are required to find coverage for your shift when sick and going on vacation. With the facility always short staffed you never find coverage.
Pros
Free Lunch. Home-like facility. Client are wonderful and so are their families
Cons
Low Pay, No break. No job security. Untrustworthy staff, Poor management.
Humbling experience.
TEACHER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYJune 5, 2018
Working at the center as a teachers associate is a rewarding experience. I cherish my summers there especially the children who deeply impacted my outlook on life.
Unpredictable place
Operations (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYMay 30, 2018
Difficult to plan your day and prioritize work because things change on a dime and often without explanation. Very little cohesion among departments and between departments. Many positions seem underpaid for the amount of work expected and high levels of stress. Some great coworkers make it worth staying for awhile because they make you feel appreciated and work well in teams.
Fun working with the clients
Counselor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA 22101May 29, 2018
I enjoyed the job itself. I liked the clients and the work. However, I felt like the upper management took those that "worked the floor" for granted and did not show empathy for those that were employed by the company.
Pros
The clientele
Cons
The Higher-Ups
Good job
Diet Tech (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMay 21, 2018
It was a good job and a nice place to work at. All of the staff is very helpful and very friendly. They all helped me out when I first started working there and made me feel welcome.
Do not apply here!
Primary Therapist (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXApril 29, 2018
This place has the highest turn over rate!! Management sucks, all employees are always stressed, not much support from program director. When interviewing for the job they do not tell you what all is involved. There is no way you can do all that is required in 8 hours. Believe the bad reviews! I worked here for three months and left super anxious and miserable! Not worth it!
Pros
Good pay, clients, free food
Cons
Bad benefits, long hours, work/life balance, calling insurances, therapist having the role of dietitians, no lunch break since you eat with clients
Rewarding work with opportunities to grow
Operations (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAApril 26, 2018
Discovery is a great place to grow and learn about the ins and outs of the behavioral healthcare industry. There are many opportunities to relocate in the nationwide organization. It is a great work environment for people who like fast-paced jobs and want to exceed expectations. It also provides an opportunity to learn about high acuity mental healthcare, and for those in the eating disorder division, get specialized training with this population.
Hard work pays off !
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTApril 25, 2018
I just hit my 4 year anniversary at Center for Discovery. I truly LOVE what I do, the people who I have had the pleasure of working with, the room for advancement and excellent management. I think the most important thing you need to excel in this company is a good attitude. It is hard work but extremely rewarding and defiantly never boring!
Pros
Advancement, amazing co-workers, positive atmosphere
Cons
Wish pay was a bit more competitive
Great on going education and training
Counselor III (Current Employee) –  SoCalApril 24, 2018
I have been with Center For Discovery for over 6 years now! I have always felt supported in my professional and personal growth. When I began with the company I had no Eating Disorder experience and have learned everything throughout my time here. The on going education and training that is provided is invaluable! Truly what you put into your time here is what you get out of it.
Pros
On going education and training
When you love your job and coworkers, work is not work.
National Director of Operations Outpatient (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAApril 23, 2018
I have dedicated a total of 10 years of my past 16 years working in behavioral health to Center For Discovery. Having worked for other eating disorder treatment companies, it is the INTEGRITY, culture, opportunity for growth and positive leadership that prompted my return to Discovery. I have had 5 promotions during my time with Discovery. I absolutely LOVE my coworkers and believe the culture of Discovery makes it the best treatment center to work for.
great place to work with plenty of growth opportunities
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAApril 23, 2018
I have worked for Center for Discovery for 4 1/2 years, and during that time the company has provided me with several opportunities for growth. There are many opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard. I have felt supported and enjoyed every team I have been a part of. I love the mission of the company and my co-workers, I have learned and grown so much during my time at Discovery.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Discovery. Our community is ready to answer.