Center for Discovery Employee Reviews

Over worked and underpaid
Counselor (Former Employee) –  New YorkOctober 6, 2018
Worked part time for 2 years. Lots of turnover and no room for advancement. It is extremely difficult to find someone who is willing to cover for you when you need off. Better to work oncall.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No Breaks!!
I love this Company!!!!!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 28, 2018
I love this place. Whenever I've considered being a counselor anywhere else, I just can't because I really believe in the heart of this company. The people who are go-getters and who really care about the kids and communicate well are the ones who move up fast in the company. I've seen so many counselors that even I've trained grow into amazing Directors, Managers, and Corporate--and I'm honestly so proud.
Pros
Free meals, amazing coworkers, stability
Cons
Intense Environment
Terrible place to work, this place does not truly support their employees or appreciate them.
Full-Time Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 24, 2018
The overall program support for clients is great and the care that clients receive is excellent. However, I would not recommend working here to a colleague.
Pros
Running groups with the clients was fun
Cons
No breaks
The negative reviews are spot on
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
No breaks, low salaries, poor management, and the benefits are not great. I worked at this company for three years because eating disorders are my passion. Leaving this company was the greatest thing that ever happened; I got my life back! I worked way too much, was never shown an ounce of gratitude, and was not compensated for it. Glad my time at Center for Discovery is over.
Pros
Free food, working closely with clients
Cons
No break, too much work, low pay, bad benefits, no empathy
Great work environment
Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2018
The team approach makes this company a great learning environment. However pay is not adequate to meet living demands of Los Angeles. If pay was more competitive I'd recommend this job to others.
Horrible pay for tremendous amount of work
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 22, 2018
I worked here for a while. Gave my everything and you are so under valued here. Management and corporate only care about the money, not their employees. They don't include everything the job entitles in the job listing.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
Horrible pay, NO breaks, horrible management
Believe the Poor Reviews
Counselor, Education Liaison, PRN Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, CaAugust 22, 2018
I worked for CFD for 4 years and finally left because of the unethical practices taking place. You can tell the good reviews on here are coming from “important players” (if you will) trying to save the reputation of this company because they are all from CA and CT (the two locations where these employees are). No one is valued here. The pay is terrible. The entire staff I came in with when the Fairfax, VA house opened (all masters level clinicians working in counseling positions) left within 2 years. (Some of the happiest most positive people I know.) This place sucks the life out of you. Believe the bad reviews.
Pros
Free food, amazing clients
Cons
Everything else
Management Was Horrible
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Minneola, FL 34755August 13, 2018
A work day is stressful and there is always changes in scheduling, incorrect practices etc. I am happy that I left the facility because it was stressful and the facility manager was not truthful regarding different aspects of the job. A diet tech was a counselor.
Poorly managed company
Primary Outpatient Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAAugust 9, 2018
The company is poorly managed; reactive rather than proactive. Company does not value individual employees who serve pivotal roles in the organization. Employees are shifted where the need is, rather than place people where they thrive and contribute to an overall positive atmosphere.
I love working here
LVN (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 1, 2018
The management is so awesome and understanding. The work environment is both challenging but very enjoyable. Great place to learn and to apply what you've learned at school.

Want to know more about Center for Discovery?

Ask a question
I learned a lot
Group Counselor (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYJuly 8, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Assisting the individuals gives me joy and I feel that am making a different in someone's life. My co-workers are great and professional.
Just Don’t
Counsler (Former Employee) –  New York StateJune 28, 2018
I would not recommend working here. They do not train accordingly, they are not supportive and they expect you to take on work for three people. Most directors are incompetent in their positions and provide no support. Facility manager is inappropriate with clients and staff. There is no accountability for anyone’s actions. The pay is horrible. The only good part of the job is the clients, they are the reason to come to work. Corporate cares about money and not client care or safety.
Pros
Food, Amazing Clients
Cons
Unsupportive, unethical, dishonesty, terrible pay for amount of work
Horrible Company
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  La Habra Heights, CAJune 18, 2018
This company is by far the worst I have ever worked for. They have favorites and there is no direction here. If a task needs to get done management does not help you they say "go ask the clients" they should know where it is. WTF, horrible attitudes with staff and underpaid especially for all the work that needs to be done. There is not enough hours in a day to write all notes and there is not instruction on how to get things done you learn as you go. I was fired sadly but only because I needed time off and because they are so short staffed finding coverage is IMPOSSIBLE and nonetheless they do not care if you get coverage or not if your sick or not this place was horrible.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Have to eat just as little or as much as the in house patients, staff shows no consideration for others
Job field is rewarding but management takes fun from job and creates stressful work environment.
Senior Residential Associate (Current Employee) –  Harris, NYJune 13, 2018
Job has potential to be a excellent experience for anyone to invest in a career in the field of healthcare of individuals with special needs but management creates a stressful work environment and does not show any staff appreciation. It is not uncommon to be asked to complete tasks that are not within your job description and be held accountable when task are not completed, There is very little chance of job advancement and pay raises or very few and far between.
A great place to work with many opportunities to grow
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYJune 11, 2018
I spent many years employed here and began as a Residential Associate then progressed to a Registered nurse. It is a wonderful place to work where the children and adults who reside there are truly loved and cared for by all staff. Everything there is catered to each individual resident. From the custom wheelchairs, orthotics and all other assistive devices to their diets, therapies and school programs. It is a place where I would feel confident to place my own children if every a situation arose resulting in them needing to be there.
Pros
A very health conscious environment for both staff and residents. The quality of care is impeccable
Cons
None that I can think of
Burn out is a real problem
Counselor (Current Employee) –  NYJune 10, 2018
If you are looking for a job where you go home crying and stressed most days, then definitely apply here. While the clients can be great, the pay is lousy, particularly for the location, and the raises barely cover cost of living. Starting employees make barely more than a Starbucks barista, but are responsible for the safety of really sick kids. There is no way to finish your work in an 8 hour shift. Upper management is stressed and has no time to help. Most people can't last year over a year
Pros
Free food; some clients are grateful; opportunities for training
Cons
Little room for growth, poor pay, expect to work off the clock, poisonous staff members
Worst Company to Work For!!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 8, 2018
Believe all the negative reviews. This is the worst company I personally have ever worked for. The pay sucks and culture of the company is favoritism. There is no job security and staff gets fired at will. Employees are catty and untrustworthy, throwing you under the bus at the very slight opportunity they get. Management sucks and have no people skills. Unqualified people thrust into management position makes this whole place the worst place to be. You are required to eat with clients so you have no break to yourself. Hours are cut when client census go below 4 so your paycheck goes up and down, while your bills to be paid remain the same. You are required to cook, clean and give meds while performing your duties a as a counselor. So much to do with very little pay. The worst part of it all is you are required to find coverage for your shift when sick and going on vacation. With the facility always short staffed you never find coverage.
Pros
Free Lunch. Home-like facility. Client are wonderful and so are their families
Cons
Low Pay, No break. No job security. Untrustworthy staff, Poor management.
Humbling experience.
TEACHER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYJune 5, 2018
Working at the center as a teachers associate is a rewarding experience. I cherish my summers there especially the children who deeply impacted my outlook on life.
Unpredictable place
Operations (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYMay 30, 2018
Difficult to plan your day and prioritize work because things change on a dime and often without explanation. Very little cohesion among departments and between departments. Many positions seem underpaid for the amount of work expected and high levels of stress. Some great coworkers make it worth staying for awhile because they make you feel appreciated and work well in teams.
Fun working with the clients
Counselor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA 22101May 29, 2018
I enjoyed the job itself. I liked the clients and the work. However, I felt like the upper management took those that "worked the floor" for granted and did not show empathy for those that were employed by the company.
Pros
The clientele
Cons
The Higher-Ups

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Discovery. Our community is ready to answer.