Center for Discovery Employee Reviews

poor.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hampton Bays, NYJanuary 10, 2019
poor management, poor salary, overworked, understaffed. new management comes in and doesn't bother getting to know its employees before going on a fishing expedition.
worst company to work for.
Poorly managed facility with lack of support or training
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJanuary 8, 2019
Facility does not prepare you for difficulty in job. Residents are not properly managed and there is no support from supervisors. It is unorganized and stressful.
January 9, 2019

Thank you for your review. We are continually striving to improve our company and programs and use your feedback to do so. We have recently added someone to the Discovery team who will lead our training and development throughout the organization to help make sure all of our staff feel prepared for challenges that may arise in our programs. Additionally, we are working on ways to encourage more frequent opportunities for feedback on program leadership. Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us valuable feedback.

Good people doing caring work
Counselor III (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJanuary 6, 2019
Your day is busy and can be challenging but if you connect with teens and have compassion, then you too will find your work more fulling than stressful.
Pros
Fun times and events
Cons
Hours can be long
January 8, 2019

Thanks for your review. Residential work can be fast paced and stressful at times, but we strive to create a positive culture and balance at all of our programs.

Judgmental
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CADecember 26, 2018
I started working there for a month (not by choice). Let me just put it this way, it was okay for other staff members to be unprofessional, use foul language, and talk about their personal lives (along with slandering other staff members) in front of the clients. However, when I accidentally slipped up, I got in trouble that resulted in written warnings. They found every little dent to report to the point where it was like walking on thumb tacks during my shift. No matter how much I explained/defended myself, the management either believed the clients, or other staff members. During the meetings while they were going over everything, the management just sounded as if they were practicing a script and parroting back what they're being paid to say; in other words, not being their own person.

This made me so mad because I not only drove an hour & 40 minutes to work, but I gave up my weekends to work when they needed me. So much for thinking it was worth it.

Don't get me wrong, the staff was great (some of them), the management made me skeptical & suspicious. Constantly nit-picking for common "human" mistakes and not considering that the culprit is owning up to it sends a questionable vibe of management in my opinion. I tried doing exactly what they wanted, but according to them, it wasn't good enough. Word of advice to the manager of CFD, you want someone "perfect" and someone who catches on so fast that it meets your expectations? Hire a robot! Oh and thanks for letting me go around the holidays!

My advice to anyone wanting to work here as a counselor: take notes during
  more... training, practically don't talk unless being spoken to, be ready to use math, don't be yourself unless you're already reserved, and pretty much be a "perfectionist."  less
Pros
Free meals and snacks, bonding
Cons
Give up your weekends/Friday-Saturday nights, judgmental management, and difficult to get time off.
Lpn
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  CTDecember 17, 2018
One reviewer as a LPN sounded like the job was actual nursing. NOT. Out of a 6 hour day you work as an actual nurse less than a half hour and that is just vitals and a minimal amount of meds mostly OTC. A client waited all day until I arrived at 2pm to be able to get an aspirin. Vitals taken and meds given in the day room not in a proper private setting where you can assess and discuss medical issues individually was my BIGGEST problem.They basically train you to be a counsellor from minute one. Do not work there as a nurse, it will not look good on your resume it will not reinforce and further your nursing career. You will be updating your resume (if you even want to include this one) as soon as you realize what I say here is true and you need to move on. Oh yes free food?? Inadequate cooking and prep time for the diet techs, I was hesitant to eat undercooked food as times. If you have special dietary needs or just don't like what they have or for whatever reason you must cook something for yourself, while on the job; seems petty but YOU have to eat EVERYTHING on your plate like it or not, get disciplined if you don't. I gained weight since I do not eat as much as I was required to there (plus snacking).
Pros
You get paid
Cons
False advertising... not a nursing job.
January 8, 2019

Thanks for your review. We are continually striving to improve our company and programs and use your feedback to do so. Our nursing opportunities at some of our facilities are unique in that they combine elements of nursing and milieu management. We do try to give an accurate depiction of the position through our job descriptions and hiring process and apologize if you felt the position differed from what you expected. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Job is guilty of selling dreams to clients an workers
N/A (Former Employee) –  NJDecember 6, 2018
I would not work for this company again even if my life depended on it I like the truth , an truthful people not liars an backstabbers .how can clients get clean if they are being coached by liars an back stabbera this is things they have to deal with in the streets all ready so from the streets to the streets ..? An alot of blasphemy .
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Lack of trust among co workers, back stabbers, liars, an basically addicts trying to tell addicts what to do.
Growth opportunities & Family Oriented
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harris, NYNovember 27, 2018
There is a place for everyone at the center and there is always room to grow. You will meet a lot of people that are very passionate about what they do which is very motivating. Most people are willing to help each other. If you are there for the they will do the same for you.
Growing environment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXNovember 13, 2018
The facility was still relatively new when I started, so there was a lot of growing that needed to occur. I had various shifts. I initially signed up or was hired on to be an overnight counselor but I never got the chance to work an overnight shift.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No breaks, No security, Employees are not heard
January 9, 2019

Thank you for your review. Opening up a new program often requires a lot of work and growth. We review the openings for all new facilities and take the opportunity to learn and grow so that we can improve our process for the next new program and make it as smooth as possible. Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us valuable feedback.

Very supportive staff members
Licensed Vocational Nurse - LVN (Former Employee) –  Danville, CANovember 2, 2018
Staff were always very supportive and worked together as a team. The nature of this work kept all staff members very busy. If ever there were times when there was more work than time allowed, other staff members were willing to jump in if needed to help.
Pros
Free meals
January 9, 2019

Thank you for your review. We strive to make our programs a supportive work environment where the team comes together to support each other and the clients.

Over worked and underpaid
Counselor (Former Employee) –  New YorkOctober 6, 2018
Worked part time for 2 years. Lots of turnover and no room for advancement. It is extremely difficult to find someone who is willing to cover for you when you need off. Better to work oncall.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No Breaks!!

Want to know more about Center for Discovery?

Ask a question
I love this Company!!!!!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 28, 2018
I love this place. Whenever I've considered being a counselor anywhere else, I just can't because I really believe in the heart of this company. The people who are go-getters and who really care about the kids and communicate well are the ones who move up fast in the company. I've seen so many counselors that even I've trained grow into amazing Directors, Managers, and Corporate--and I'm honestly so proud.
Pros
Free meals, amazing coworkers, stability
Cons
Intense Environment
Terrible place to work, this place does not truly support their employees or appreciate them.
Full-Time Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 24, 2018
The overall program support for clients is great and the care that clients receive is excellent. However, I would not recommend working here to a colleague.
Pros
Running groups with the clients was fun
Cons
No breaks
The negative reviews are spot on
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
No breaks, low salaries, poor management, and the benefits are not great. I worked at this company for three years because eating disorders are my passion. Leaving this company was the greatest thing that ever happened; I got my life back! I worked way too much, was never shown an ounce of gratitude, and was not compensated for it. Glad my time at Center for Discovery is over.
Pros
Free food, working closely with clients
Cons
No break, too much work, low pay, bad benefits, no empathy
Great work environment
Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2018
The team approach makes this company a great learning environment. However pay is not adequate to meet living demands of Los Angeles. If pay was more competitive I'd recommend this job to others.
Horrible pay for tremendous amount of work
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 22, 2018
I worked here for a while. Gave my everything and you are so under valued here. Management and corporate only care about the money, not their employees. They don't include everything the job entitles in the job listing.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
Horrible pay, NO breaks, horrible management
Believe the Poor Reviews
Counselor, Education Liaison, PRN Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, CaAugust 22, 2018
I worked for CFD for 4 years and finally left because of the unethical practices taking place. You can tell the good reviews on here are coming from “important players” (if you will) trying to save the reputation of this company because they are all from CA and CT (the two locations where these employees are). No one is valued here. The pay is terrible. The entire staff I came in with when the Fairfax, VA house opened (all masters level clinicians working in counseling positions) left within 2 years. (Some of the happiest most positive people I know.) This place sucks the life out of you. Believe the bad reviews.
Pros
Free food, amazing clients
Cons
Everything else
Management Was Horrible
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Minneola, FL 34755August 13, 2018
A work day is stressful and there is always changes in scheduling, incorrect practices etc. I am happy that I left the facility because it was stressful and the facility manager was not truthful regarding different aspects of the job. A diet tech was a counselor.
Poorly managed company
Primary Outpatient Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAAugust 9, 2018
The company is poorly managed; reactive rather than proactive. Company does not value individual employees who serve pivotal roles in the organization. Employees are shifted where the need is, rather than place people where they thrive and contribute to an overall positive atmosphere.
I love working here
LVN (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 1, 2018
The management is so awesome and understanding. The work environment is both challenging but very enjoyable. Great place to learn and to apply what you've learned at school.
I learned a lot
Group Counselor (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYJuly 8, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Assisting the individuals gives me joy and I feel that am making a different in someone's life. My co-workers are great and professional.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Discovery. Our community is ready to answer.