Center for Human Development Employee Reviews

Great benefits but no support, training, or anything else
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 26, 2018
Completely disillusioned with this company. It has a great reputation, in general, but after working there for more than a year and a half, I found it to be super disorganized, they don't train their staff on basic policies and procedures so that you will know what to do in various situations, they hire many staff that are unprofessional and will play favorites, scapegoating the "others" and safety is a MAJOR issue and it is never addressed; like a disaster waiting to happen. So although the pay was decent and the benefits are very good, the actual day to day work environment is not so great. Also, when it comes to working with management, most of the managers do not follow through with what they say they will do. Little to no support or care for their employees and they don't mention during the hiring process, that you will be expected to use your own car for work purposes.
Benefits
Cons
Negative environment, no training, thrown into situations without prior information, staff safety issues
Hostile, dysfuntional IT area
Software developer (Former Employee) –  SpringfieldSeptember 2, 2018
When I started, all 3 IT managers were demoted causing a hostile work environment. CIO has anger management issues and must suffer from other psyche issues and is extremely scattered. Former IT manager refused to offer assistance to learn the environment. Was full of resentment, rude and desparaging. I was warned by one of the other employees of the morale problems. 80% of the department resigned within a year. I regret staying on as I got consumed by the chronic problems there.

Stay away.
Pros
Fair salary and benes
Cons
Hostile work environment
Culture shift
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CT 06105October 27, 2018
CHD was an amazing company to work for. Over time with new management and the seemingly shift in culture, it became more of a burden than a joy to be involved with this agency. The focus became more about the disagreements that leaders had rather than the welfare of the clients.
Pros
Promotion opportunities
Cons
Negative work environment
Slow paced, but rewarding work in
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 8, 2018
Management could benefit from team based training where they learn to listen and work with their staff. Work place is located in an area that's highly counter productive to client progress in treatment, due to being in a neighborhood known for high rate of drug use and violence. No scheduled lunch break, have to eat lunch while still working.
Pros
Good clients, friendly coworkers, mileage reimbursement
Cons
poor management, no possibility of overtime, possibility for advancement highly limited
The residents where great they really respected staff and our goal to make them better.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 17, 2018
We never really have a normal day at work it changes like night and day based on the mood of building. I learned over the years working there how to be patient with residents and staff and how to deescalate situations. Management was rocky we rarely received the right information and was always informed late on changes to policy and procedures. The workplace culture was biased the upper management and the floor staff always bumped heads due to lack of information. The hardest part of the job i would say was dealing with clinical. The clinical team had no communication with floor staff at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out the youth teaching them skills that men need in their communities and in the world to survive.
Good For Kids but turnover rate for employment is awful
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 5, 2018
I worked for CHD for some time, the way it was ran was awful. When there was an incident, it was hard to get in contact with on-call and the managers. They have an awful turn over rate when it comes to employment. Activities were not planned ahead like in Gandara. When I came into work, I didn't know what to expect. The don't have a supervisor on shift, just a lead staff. When it comes to requesting days off, they don't give an answer straight away. In my personal experience. I had requested mother's day off a month in advance. When I had asked if it was given to me as a day off their answer was no. They has lost my paper for the request. I was taken aback, I lost my mother and mothers day is really hard on me, and not to be able to take it off was an emotional struggle. CHD is good for the kids but they don't care for their staff and any little mistake can get you terminated.
Pros
Pay Rate and Health Care benefits
Cons
Turnover rates for empolyment
Chd
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAOctober 26, 2018
On a typical day at work I am managing staff, creating work schedules, training staff, monitoring staffs work and making sure information is being documented in real time and accurately. I am responsible for holding staff as well as our clients responsible for their actions.
I've learned no matter how much you want to help someone out of a bad situation, if they're not willing to help themselves then your work is in vain.
I enjoy seeing families successfully transition out of the program.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Lack of advancement
Love the company
ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 16, 2018
I absolutely love working for CHD. Within three months of work, I had proven myself enough that I was promoted to assistant supervisor. I can't speak for every residential program at CHD, only Meadows Homes. I work a lot, but am compensated fairly and treated with respect by everyone I have met through the company. I would definitely recommend CHD as an employer.
Pros
room for advancement, overtime
Cons
a lot of time at work
Flexible work environment
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAJanuary 31, 2018
Not value as a employee, not appreciated, not acknowledge, the pay is not great, Management does not advocate for staff. Raises are not enough to live on.
Pros
Paid vacation time
Cons
low wages
Trabajo sencillo pero importante
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 30, 2018
Buena area de trabajo en me gusta trabajar con jóvenes removidos de los hogares. Aunque a veces se caldean un poco los ánimos (demasiadas hormonas juntas). El ambiente laboral es uno relajado. La cultura de CHD me fascina dan adiestramiento pagos por todo. Un poco difícil el proceso de comenzar a trabajar, pero es comprensible por la población con la que se trabaja. No me gusta mucho que paguen a 12.00 pero puede ser peor. También hay que usar el carro propio y se tardan en pagar el millaje. Espero que me paguen.
Pros
Ambiente relajado y poca carga de trabajo
Cons
hay que usar el carro personal y se puede pagar mas.
Foster Parent
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAOctober 23, 2018
I was a Foster Parent for a Comprehensive Child whom we are adopting. I worked for them for 2 years without the ability to work outside of the home. With only a weeks notice they told me that my rate of pay would go from $59/ day to $23/ day because the child we were adopting was going to be a DCF only child. Not accepting this at all.
Pros
Lots of free activities for the kids
Cons
Care less for the foster parents
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  La Grande, ORSeptember 8, 2018
I worked at CHD, Inc. for 24+ years. I saw many changes happen over the years. This company is good to work for, they provide a valuable service to the community, Mental Health, Addiction services, Public Health, Well Child programs, Developmental Disabilities services as well as the County Veteran's services.
Pros
Flexible when needed
Cons
Decision making takes too long sometimes
working here was great
ASSISTANT SUPORVISOR (Current Employee) –  365 Bernie aveJanuary 2, 2018
Working at chd is great I like having the option of being able to be hired within the company as i finish school. chd also has great benefits for their employees.
Great Mission!
RESIDENT LEADER INTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  Contra Costa County, CAAugust 11, 2018
Great Community programs at the Center for Human Development. There is opportunity for Community engagement, Training is also available. Workplace culture with different prams under one roof provides diversity.
Pros
Community Development
Cons
Low pay
Don’t Apply Here
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 13, 2018
The facilities department is run by a moron and they won’t get rid off the old has been Maintenance Supervisor who should have been canned a long time ago!!! Just an awful company with no procedures or commitment to follow through.
Cons
Good starting place to work
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 28, 2018
A nice group of folks to work with. Lots of new program. Just so much going on and you have to stay in the pace. Staff do work with you and willing pitch in when asked.
Pros
People related
Cons
More structure
Good Place to Work
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 17, 2018
My experience in CHD is very educational due to I learn everything I know about Case Management. However, the schedule is not help the employee to have a balance between personal life end work.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
break
Supportive environment
Therapeutic Mentor (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAOctober 16, 2017
Stressful work at times, but great support from supervisors. Benefits aren't great for part time/ hourly employees. Great training offered to employees. Not much room for advancement.
Pros
Support
Benefits
supportive and welcoming atmosphere
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 24, 2018
It is a Great supportive working environment. Burnout how ever is very quick in the social work field in general. Your heart and a great staff helps to keep you motivated.
Pros
Warm and welcoming atmosphere
Cons
Low pay
overall good place to work
Clinical Director (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 17, 2017
Overall good place to work. The company has many programs and a diverse staff which provides opportunity to try different locations if preferred. Has opportunity for advancement and trainings but poor benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Human Development. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight